Ratings: Alcatraz Dips, Dancing Drops, Smash Flat

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Fox’s Alcatraz, with its two-episode Monday night finale, averaged 4.73 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, dipping 6 percent week-to-week and hitting a new series low in the demo.

Castle Recap: Sinning By Silence (AKA The First Shoe Drops!)

Elsewhere on the night….

* Dancing With the Stars led Monday in total audience (with 17.6 million viewers, down 6 percent week-to-week), but dropped 11 percent in the demo (3.1), even opposite CBS repeats. Capping the night for ABC, Castle (12.2 mil/2.4) saw gains of 6 and 4 percent.

* NBC’s The Voice (11.8 mil/4.4) was the night’s demo leader, slipping just a smidgen from last week. The freshly renewed Smash (6.36 mil/2.2) was flat.

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Reality Sets in for Week 2! Who Was Your Favorite?

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

Tags:

Comments (57)

• Alcatraz was definitely a let down. Their finale reveal probably should have been a reveal for around episode 6 or 7 with the mythology continuing to build to a genuinely strong crescendo instead of keeping the show so incredibly episodic.

Comment by xav – March 27, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I respectfully have to disagree. The finale (please let it get a second season) was no less than incredible. Sad the ratings don’t reflect the show’s greatness. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the two hours.

Why?

Soto (forgive this if it sounds vulgar) grew a pair and proved himself instrumental like never before and I was going “y-e-s”. I think if there is a second season we will see a bit different Doc.

That intense Bullit car chase – oh my. Only seen better in Bourn or Statham movies. (anyone else really really want a Maverick now?)

The feelings Houser and Lucy still share and have for each other :heart:

Loved Craven as the “mad” scientist type.

There was a great deal revealed but more questions. That keeps me wanting more. And oh, the jaw dropping ending. Oh my.

Comment by kirads09 – March 27, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m saying the show as a whole. The finale was good but it was too little, too late. The pacing of this show, with the emphasis on the procedural aspect of the show rather than the mythology, was off, more suited to a season of 22 episodes rather than 12. They didn’t reveal enough or leave enough new questions for it to be a fully satisfying season finale for me. It felt like a mid-season finale. It mirrored Terra Nova in a lot of ways.

Comment by Courtney (@bibliosexual) – March 27, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I understand. I was feeling a little like why did they save all the best for last!

Comment by kirads09 – March 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree 100%, and this is what I’ve been telling people about the show for weeks now. The procedural element is way too at odds with the mythos portion which screws up the pacing of the reveals. They were trying too hard to maintain the procedural factor for people jumping in fresh, but that just doesn’t work with the “LOST”-esque mythos they wanted to run with.

I really don’t see this show coming back.

Comment by Ryan – March 28, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m posting this here in the hopes that those who know will see it without scrolling down.

How did Alcatraz do with DVRs? Does it gain more viewers or does it get low numbers there as well?

As it’s been said before, “appoinment TV” is dead. People will watch TV whenever they feel like it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 27, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, but advertisers assign little value t those watching on DVR and FFing their ads.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 27, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Matt Webb Mitovich

Why is every show including The Voice down today, despite the fact that, CBS is on repeats? Is there something going on in U.S.A? Or is this usual at this time of year?

Comment by KS Winchester – March 27, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spring break and March Madness? I think that’s why a lot of the networks are playing re-runs. I hope Alcatraz makes it to season 2.

Comment by Heidi – March 27, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are not ALL down. Castle was up!

Comment by he-touches-things – March 27, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bye bye Acatraz.

Comment by Jerri – March 27, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alcatraz was a weak premise to begin with. The cast have very little chemistry and there isn’t much to root for. I can’t say I will watch a second season. No point in fox/WB wasting money on a 2nd season.

Comment by Nemo – March 27, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you don’t watch so there is no point in Fox wasting money on a second season. You think a bit highly of yourself huh?

Comment by JC – March 27, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Selective reading there JC. The ratings say Fox shouldn’t spend another dollar on a second season.

Comment by Nemo – March 27, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But that is not what you said Nemo. You didn’t once mention the ratings. All you said was “I can’t say I will watch a second season. No point in fox/WB wasting money on a 2nd season.”

Comment by Dave – March 27, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be disappointed if ALCATRAZ gets canceled by Fox, just like it did with TERRA NOVA (who’s laughing now). The Voice and their final battle rounds blew me away and the Justin vs. Tony showdown was nothing but “epic” especially with Cee Lo Green in tears.

Comment by bad kevin – March 27, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s spring break…no ones at home watching TV.

Comment by rfincv – March 27, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How many more days is this spring break?

Comment by KS Winchester – March 27, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t know where you get the idea that spring break happens at the same time for most people. At my school it was 2 weeks ago. In high school it’s usually not till April around here.

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s why ratings will be down last week, this week, and next week. Everyone is on Spring Break at different time, plus basketball is a big factor. And people are starting to go out now more b/c of the unusually warm weather.

Comment by Ashley – March 27, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most people’s spring breaks end on Easter so April 8. There are a few schools/Universities that give a few days after Easter too but from my understanding it’s really the week or two before Easter that is called spring break.

Comment by H.A.R. – March 27, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is everyone talking about spring break? The whole country doesn’t go on spring break.

Comment by Philemon – August 4, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is DWTS down? Their field of competitors is the strongest and most entertaining they’ve had for a long time.

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched an episode of Terra Nova I still had on the DVR. :-)

Comment by Renee – March 27, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Fox: I would watch Alcatraz if you put it on Fridays in a Fringe-Alcatraz block. That’s my final offer.

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Jerri – March 28, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Alcatraz and will watch it whatever night it is on, but I agree that it would go extremely well with Fringe on Fridays, so I second that idea!

Comment by girlsinthegarage – March 29, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m for Alcatraz’s cancellation. When ratings fall this fast in the first season, another season isn’t going to help (I mean, look at Body of Proof and Jericho). Better to just put it out of its misery than to drag out the inevitable.

Comment by Emily – March 27, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t like the show, then don’t watch it. Some of us enjoy the show and want it to have a second season. If I don’t care about a show, I’m not going to care whether it gets renewed or canceled, so if you don’t like the show, why do you care so much about what happens to it?

Comment by Roxie – March 29, 2012 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night the only good thing in Alcatraz was that car chase in the second episode…
    And the possibility that SJones’s character flatline forever & IF we have a second season…hope they cast better people to lead around Sam Neill…mostly the only reason I got interested to the series

Comment by Jules – March 27, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Castle. Love it! Can’t wait for the other shoe to drop!

Comment by leigh – March 27, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash was horrible last night. Maybe it is a good thing it was flat. It was hard to watch.

Comment by Rolfe – March 27, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Smash the show flat.

Comment by Emily – March 27, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this rate is Fox going to have ANY hourlong dramas left if they cancel all their low-rated dramas? House is gone, Terra Nova gone, Fringe on the bubble and now Alcatraz on the bubble. Maybe they can just roll up the sidewalks at 9pm each night instead of 10.

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they should have taken a chance on a show with decent ratings like Terra Nova.

Comment by Renee – March 27, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Terra Nova was too expensive to produce for that relatively small ratings return.

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They made money on it. Everyone involved made money on it. They just wanted to make more than they did. So hopefully everything Fox is involved in will lose tremendous amounts of money for the next two years. (Yes I’m vindictive.)

Comment by Renee – March 27, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was speing my night on SyFy with Being Human and Lost Girl.

Comment by Brigitte – March 27, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Castle. Only thing worth watching on Mondays now that I’ve lost all hopes on HIMYM (Yeah I know it was a repeat last night but my point remains)

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – March 27, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except everyone hated what actually happened in last night’s Castle…

Comment by Donna – March 27, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re speaking for everyone??? I enjoyed it.

Comment by TV Gord – March 27, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Everyone? You may not have liked it, but the CastleTV forum is going nuts, in a positive way!

Comment by he-touches-things – March 27, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except everyone I talked to *loved* last night’s Castle…

Comment by tlc19 – March 27, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do any of the writers realize how stupid they have made Det. Madsen? Every episode she has a chance to capture the escapee around the 13 minute mark and she always loses him because a) she can’t run b) she can’t shoot c) she can’t shoot

Comment by Gabriel Yu – March 27, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must have been watching a different programme given some of the comments here – I really like Alcatraz and I would be sad if there was not a series two.

Frankly at the moment it is good to get something new that is reasonable to watch – we have Grey’s and Private Practice hanging on for what seems forever. Thank heavens Desperate is finishing – although again like some of the comments about Alcatraz, they left the good parts until the end when it would have been better for the programme to have them earlier in the series.

Smash is quite reasonable too although there are some characters who really do grate but I am guessing they are supposed to because their ‘sort’ are out there in the business.

One question though … just how old is Hauser supposed to be? Because last night there was a line that said he had been waiting for Lucy for 50 years and given he supposedly studied Philosophy at Yale, which he would have finished at say 23, that would make him at least 73 years old? Sam Neill is 65 this year – and is very fit in all the running around he does in the show but in reality what 73 year old man would be in charge of a project like this? If there is a weakness in the show I think that is it. Unless there is another explanation?

Comment by pinkpolyanthus – March 27, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’d be surprised how many people in their 70s I know who would easily outrun youngsters, and not just intellectually:)

Comment by cori – March 27, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am sure there are – and so there should be! That age group have not frittered away their youth as couch potatoes; their life style was much healthier and they are reaping the rewards for taking good care of themselves.

My point or rather question was is he supposed to be that age in the programme or is he much younger because he ‘travelled’ from another year to 2012 or whenever he ‘arrived’. Plus in the type of job he is in, I think it unlikely – even if he is still in peak condition – that he would be in charge of such a project – maybe a consultant but not the level he is being shown as, running around waving guns every 5 minutes. I mean in the UK, the ‘elf & safety’ fuhrers would be all over it!! The only forward thinking company that give that age group a chance at a good career is B&Q! And I can’t see Sam Neill running around looking for paint pots or tap washers! If he did, I’d have a house full of paint pots!! ;)

Comment by pinkpolyanthus – March 27, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It is my understanding that Hauser aged normally, so his character would be in his early 70′s. The actor might be younger than that, but they can just say he aged well. In the U.S. it is not unusual for someone of that age to have a lot of power. For example, Ronald Reagan was President well into his 70′s. I can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head but I am sure there have been other older people that are powerful like that as well. Maybe the U.K. age discriminates more than the U.S.

Comment by Roxie – March 29, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the voice ratings keep dropping, now at same level as x factor. yet everyone says x factor was a flop, and that the voice is a runaway hit!

Comment by Greg – March 27, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle did great last night! I’m happy because it was an awesome episode.

Comment by Mari – March 27, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really hope they cancel Alcatraz and Fringe (just like TN) and give all that money to remake DR WHO from the begining, we need US version of that show! or remake TWILIGHT ZONE!

we need new sci fi series.
    Alcatraz a let down.
    Fringe turn to cheap soap opera, and basicly this show inspired a lot with DR WHO! so i’ll be great if FOX remake that show!

Comment by John Smith – March 28, 2012 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • America ruined Life on Mars, do you really want them ruining Dr. Who too? And anyways that’s so not going to happen. Watch the U.K. Doctor Who, which some people think has already been too Americanized, or you can watch the Americanized Torchwood, and let us fans of Alcatraz and Fringe have our shows to watch.

Comment by Roxie – March 29, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alcatraz is very good, but we all do have are opinions. I Hope it gets renewed!

Comment by Jeremy – March 29, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They definitely need a second season! I mean with all those questions needed to be answered! Such a great show! I really hope they get the guts to say ,hey lets give this show another shot. Show more commercials,get more sponsors and really let this show soar! Those questions MUST be answered!

Comment by Jeremy – March 29, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay I just spent a hung over new years day watching the complete series of alkatraz to find out they end with her flatlining????

Comment by Tara – January 1, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though it’s 2014 and you can buy an Xbox One or Playstation 4 with next generation high definition graphics, there are still millions of retro video game fans.
    If your usual medications are not covered anymore, look for a different insurance program.
    Additional Expertise (Spell Hit) will be of no use.

Comment by transformers universe predacon bruticus – April 18, 2014 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post