Smash Preview: Derek Gets Sneaky With Karen

Get More: Previews

Tonight on Smash (NBC, 10/9c), Karen gets in bed with Derek — but not in the way that you think. And not entirely wittingly.

NBC’s Smash Is Renewed for Season 2 – Minus One Key Player

This week’s episode, “The Coup,” revolves around the aftermath of the workshop staging of Marilyn: The Musical, which… could have gone better. Believing the production needs a shot in the arm, Derek — as the title suggests — recruits Karen to help him “steal” the musical from songwriters Tom and Julia.

To that end, and as seen in the promos, Derek asks Karen to perform a new song written by someone else, donning only a white sheet in true Marilyn fashion.

“It’s a bit sneaky with what Derek is trying to pull, even though he doesn’t think it is,” executive producer Neil Meron told TVLine at the GLAAD Media Awards, where he and Craig Zadan were honored for their work on Smash.

And even though Karen may suspect that what she’s getting into isn’t entirely above-board, “She’s kind of an innocent about it,” said Meron. Nonetheless, “Ivy is there to observe the whole thing.”

Smash First Look Video: Can Julia’s Husband Sing Her Troubles Away?

As is, Ivy isn’t having the best week at all, fearing her days as a star are numbered in the wake of the workshop. But maybe that’s nothing that trading her dancing shoes for a pair of rented size 7s can’t fix? “Ivy is a little depressed,” says Phillip Spaeth, who plays her minion, chorus boy Dennis, “so the gang takes her out bowling — and there’s a fun number there!”

Tags: ,

Comments (22)

• I really hope Karen gets the gig in the end of all this. Now there is a 2nd season it could mean Ivy is in the seat for a while yet but i am hopeful in the end Karen will get it.

Comment by Guy – March 26, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well at least Karen gets a plot central to the storyline this week! I’m enjoying this show now I’ve accepted it is just soapy entertainment. It’s not the show the pilot promised, but I’m pretty hooked I have to admit. It would be better though if Karen quits being so naive, and Ivy quits feeling sorry for herself. I kind of hate the writers for what they’re doing to the Smash characters, and just their bad writing in general

Comment by smasher – March 26, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Ivy, y’all! Love, love, looooove her.

Comment by Maria – March 26, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man, I just don’t get the TEAM IVY thing! Girl is so self possessed (yes, I know ALL actors are) and everything she says is so FAKE! Team Karen here :)

Comment by davey – March 26, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Team Ivy, here, too. Just love her!

Comment by rubytu – March 26, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Team Karen !!

Comment by Vi – March 26, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope Karen finds a part that would be right for her (or that she would be right for). She’s a lovely voice.

Comment by rubytu – March 27, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to this episode as I saw the preview for Karen singing the Ryan Tedder song and its pretty awesome. About as far from Broadway as you can get though lol! I am fully expecting lots of eyerolling moments as well though as the writing has just been so inconsistent!

Apparently Ivy teams up with Ellis this week, so that’s another character completely ruined! I am so torn with Ivy. She’s a great Marilyn but her personality is just not that likeable. I blame bad writing. Same with Karen in that they’re trying to make her too nice and innocent which is just not realistic. Too late this season but I wish the writers could remember the Karen and Ivy of the pilot!

Why do we have to have teams btw? It just makes the comments so bitter. I don’t see it as having to like Karen or Ivy. Both characters have flaws (again I blame the bad writing) but i kind of want them both to succeed

Comment by smash fan (just about!) – March 26, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “and though I loved them for their faults, as much as for their good” (dylan thomas)

Flaws make the character, and make them loveable or not so loveable. I just love Ivy, and not so much Karen, mostly because she’s a threat to Ivy. Karen is not right for the Marilyn part, and really should do ten years of chorus and earn her place. Having talent isn’t the same as having experience. There are a lot of talented people out there, they’re not all stars, and most of them wouldn’t make a good Marilyn, either. Just because someone is talented doesn’t mean they should automatically push everyone else out of the way. Ivy’s talented, worked at her craft for years, and is the perfect Marilyn.

Comment by rubytu – March 26, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto about wanting Ivy and Karen to succeed. But how can you when the writing is just awful. You can’t have development with the muddled mess they’ve been given.

This was a rush job and they have too many characters that you want to care about but are short on screen time.

Comment by Rjrtist – March 26, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooh! I am so excited about tonight! I LOVE Karen and Derek having scenes together!
    They have such chemistry… Hope by season 2 they do hook up! I will wait for that moment very eagerly.
    I am hooked on Smash! My favorite show now.

Comment by Titina – March 26, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally Karen gets to sing an original song and for the very first time in heaven knows forever a story focused on her. Not that I dislike Ivy, but the show was becoming kinda lopsided. Definitely looking forward to the show tonight.

Comment by La_Mosca – March 26, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait!!! Karen and Derek have major chemistry so I look forward to all of their scenes. It will be nice to see Karen finally get to show her stuff and not just in a bar or at a bar mitzvah or in a recording studio. I hope eventually she will get the part of Marilyn. I love this show!

Comment by Mel – March 26, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Karen, I believe will definitely take a path that is not on Broadway or Theater. I think it will be on the mainstream music industry but I like that she’s getting an original song in this episode. They let Kat Mcphee sing all the cover songs which isn’t bad but this is refreshing.

Comment by TheLonelyPlace – March 26, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why is Tara Reid’s boob the facebook thumbnail for this article?

Comment by joecp – March 26, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocked that Ivy is going to be feeling sorry for herself again this week. SHOCKED!! It’s like the writers are purposefully trying to ruin all the characters! :(

EXCITED for this ep tho. Seems like it will be smtg different, and there are some Karen and Derek scenes! I’m not really a Karek shipper (sorry everyone above!) but i do want a bit more interaction between the main characters that isn’t just Karen/Dev, Ivy/Derek, Tom/Julia

Comment by #devneedstogo – March 26, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so exited about Karen and Derek scenes too! They have amazing chemistry and hope they hook up in the future!!!

And I heard the touch me song on YouTube. Amazing!!!!

Comment by Jasmeen – March 26, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF, why are they not releasing ‘Touch Me’ on itunes?? This weeks release is a bloody oldie from the 60s.

Comment by La_Mosca – March 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The characters are flawed because if they were not – than the show might be not as dynamic. I am willing to guess that there are actresses just like both Karen and Ivy that have the same character traits.

love the show and the new york broadway vibe it has .

Comment by lorr – March 26, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like a great ep – more Karen, more Derek and less Ivy equals good TV!

Comment by Lisa – March 26, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More Angelica Houston! She rocks! I wish she was in every scene

Comment by rubytu – March 26, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Ivy’s boobs. Team Karen as the lead.

Comment by JB Smooove – March 26, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post