Mad Men Season 5 Premiere Sets Ratings Record

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Quick, someone get Roger Sterling to make an inappropriate toast, because Mad Men‘s Season 5 premiere delivered record viewership for the acclaimed AMC drama.

Mad Men Season 5 Premiere Recap: All You Get to Do Is Watch

Averaging 3.5 million total viewers with its two-hour opener, Mad Men was up 21 percent from its Season 4 premiere (which only feels like it aired back in 1966) and hit an all-time high. And in the coveted 18-49 demographic, Don Draper & Co. saw gains of 30 percent, delivering 1.6 million viewers in that group.

Adding in an 11 o’clock encore, Mad Men amassed 4.4 million total viewers for the night.

Mad Men‘s circa-October 2010 Season 4 capper, which led out of the Rubicon finale, drew 2.44 million total viewers.

Tags:

Comments (13)

• This, I think, really speaks to the power of having the episodes-to-date available on Netflix. I hadn’t seen Mad Men until I watched the entire series on their streaming service and became a new viewer for Season 5 – now watching the live broadcast. The same is true for me of Vampire Diaries and MIOBI. There is a real value to making these series available to bump viewership of current episodes.

I hope more shows take this approach!

Comment by Tabitha – March 26, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tabitha could not be more correct.. this is how I am able to watch Archer this season on FX.. it’s honestly why if Arrested Development came back it would be an absolute ratings darling

Comment by GC – March 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100%. There are a lot of shows that I never watched before but have found on Netflix. Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Supernatural, Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, Dexter (back when Dexter was on the instant stream). All shows I’ve picked up to some extent after spending the summer watching back episodes on Netflix. Frankly, networks should be paying Netflix to have their shows. It’s doing them a great service. They are picking up viewers.

Comment by Ari – March 26, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree! I did the same thing, other struggling shows(Fringe) should take note!

Comment by Jan – March 26, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was 90 minutes of pure perfection.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – March 26, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically MM is number two behind The Walking Dead in terms of high ratings. MM has a pattern of slowly coming down in the ratings as the series progresses. It’s not a knock on on the series. MM is a niche type of series that’s all. I’m a fan.

Comment by Tania – March 26, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’m not a huge MM fan. I watch occasionally. It was just always a little slow for me. I prefer forward movement and MM always felt like it stagnated for half if not 3/4 of the season before actually doing anything. It takes all kinds though.Good for AMC for recognizing quality.

Comment by Pash – March 26, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Season Five of MAD MEN is all about Megan.

Comment by bad kevin – March 26, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope MAD MEN’s ratings wants more “Zou Bisou Bisou”. :-)

Comment by bad kevin – March 26, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the 1st hour of the SP last night and am now rewatching On Demand so I can see the 2nd hour. Enjoying it. Nice to have Mad Men back.

Comment by Danielle – March 26, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just finished watching 2nd part of the Mad Men SP. Excellent! :)

Comment by Danielle – March 26, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, I am nitpicky about watching shows from the beginning and Netflix has been a wonderful way to do this, and now they are shows I watch live when possible. I did a couple through dvds earlier on but now just have streaming.

In Plain Sight, Sons of Anarchy, Downton Abbey, Being Human (UK) are a few I can think of offhand though there have been others.

Comment by Tee – March 26, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, Tee! May I recommend if you have the chance to get the DVDs, you watch that way as well, if only for the DVD commentaries with Matt Weiner. It is a wonderful look into his brilliant mind. The guy just amazes me and brings up all these little things in the show that I never would have caught viewing on my own.

Comment by Human Being – March 27, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post