Exclusive

Awake First Look Video: Britten's 'Hunches' Land Him In the FBI's Crosshairs

NBC’s Awake this week addresses the elephant in the room: For how long can Britten successfully work cases based on clues he gleans from his “other” reality before someone takes notice? And we’ve got a first look video at how the LAPD detective’s latest “hunch” lands him on the FBI’s radar.

In this Thursday’s episode (airing at 10/9c), Britten and his “green world” partner, Detective “Bird” Freeman, help a visiting FBI agent (CSI: NY’s Megan Dodds) look into the work of either a believed-dead serial killer or a crafty copycat. But when a clue from the “red” reality — the name of a moving company contacted by his wife Hannah — points Britten at an abandoned warehouse, where he strikes paydirt, both the G-woman and Captain Harper (Laura Innes) have trouble buying into the coincidence of it all.

That in turn will prompt Bird to take a long, hard look at his partner’s unusual behavior. “That relationship, between Britten and Steve Harris’ character, gets extremely testy,” series lead Jason Isaacs told me.

Press PLAY below for a sneak peek, then share your latest thoughts on Awake.

1. bad kevin says:

Love AWAKE. Hope NBC better “wake up” soon if this drama gets renewed for Season Two, even if they’re going to switch over by watching THE MENTALIST on the exact same time slot (Thursdays at 10 p.m.).

2. gcem says:

I’m really enjoying this show…which probably means the kiss-of-death for it. That’s usually the way it goes whenever I like a new series.

• Carol C says:

I totally identify with your sentiment. Hoping that “Awake” is the exception.

• Linderella says:

Ditto. I watch three primetime shows every week on NBC – Smash, Parenthood, and Awake. It used to be the two shows with Prime Suspect now gone the way of the dinosaur. I have low confidence level in NBC’s ability or willingness to get their schedule figured out. I also “bonded” with Law & Order LA and The Event – given my history of thoroughly enjoying shows which NBC cancels, I almost hate to admit my NBC viewing habits. Shows I watch seem to be doomed.

• Annie says:

I’m enjoying Awake (and Jason Isaacs) and hoping NBC will make a smart decision and renew it. I too watched Prime Suspect and Law & Order:LA and was very disappointed with their cancellations.

• prish says:

Oh, I forgot, I LOVED Law & Order LA! It was a sad day in our house, when it was not renewed. (and Terra Nova, too)

3. prish says:

The last episode of Awake was fantastic. I am grateful for as many episodes as I can get. I was sorry to lose MOWE, Life, Journeyman, Flash Forward, Lie to Me, The Forgotten, and others. I don’t want to discourage the suits in trying out new concepts, by gnashing of teeth or babbling and sobbing hysterically at losing them, especially without tie-ups. So, I will restrain myself and thank them, sincerely, for giving us, something. At least, they are decent shows with depth.

4. Lu says:

I thought it was “blue world”??? Or is it “green world” and I’ve been asleep?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

GREEN = Son alive, RED = Wife alive

• Lu says:

Thanks for clarifying that –so I went back to the pilot and watched the beginning- and yes he is wearing a green bracelet. I think because the promo pic show him in straddled between a more red coloring with his wife and a blue coloring with his son- so in my mind it was red and blue worlds. Wouldn’t it have been great if they had been a little more consistent with that– as the blue is seen more than the green? at least with my laptop. Or does it appear more green on some TVs?

BTW- I admit hardly of great importance but it is a bit confusing.

5. Kat says:

Just love this show….PLEASE NBC, don’t cancel this program!

6. teevoz says:

Matt – why do you think it’s green and red? it’s so clearly blue (son alive) and yellow (wife alive)! Is it different if you get this via cable or via broadcast??

Great show, in any colors.

7. Sable says:

Excellent show with an outstanding lead actor and great supporting cast. It’s a unique idea that leads to expanding imagination as to what is really happening here. I love shows that all for engaging the brain. I’ve always liked Jason Isaac’s worth, with or without the long white hair) and he does not disappoint in this show. NBC needs to learn how to NOT program their quality shows again established blockbusters.

• prish says:

Discussing Kate’s dealing with her sister’s death sent this show to another level. The difference in how the mother handled the tragedy with Kate gave us depth and pure entertainment, an almost impossible feat without becoming bleak.

8. Jan says:

I think it’s Red World and Green World, according to the wrist bands, but it really is sort of mix between the blues and greens for Son Alive. No way is it Yellow World for Wife Alive! I get this show via broadcast on our local Channel 4. I guess it depends on how your tv is set up.

9. Axle says:

Will George Huang deliver a profile of Britten?