Idology: Elise & Colton Surge! Joshua & DeAndre Falter! Are Phillip & Heejun Dissing the Show?

It’s not every day you see an American Idol hopeful blatantly disregard the advice of a big-name mentor, but Season 11′s Top 10 Week — focusing on the music of Billy Joel — saw multiple instances of contestant rebellion against music advisors Jimmy Iovine and Diddy, and style guru Tommy Hilfiger. Whether Phillip Phillips and Heejun Han, in particular, disrespected the Idol process or simply stood up for themselves as artists is a key subject of discussion between Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and myself on this week’s Idology.

Melinda and I also dish breakout performances by Elise Testone and Colton Dixon, the struggles by Joshua Ledet and DeAndre Brackensick to connect with their song choices, and the horrific ouster of Erika Van Pelt. (And right after she took our advice and went brunette, too!) So press play below for all that good stuff, plus Queen J.Lo trying to put The Growler in a cage, and me convincing Melinda to belt the intro for one of her most memorable Idol performances.

Comments (173)

• I found Elise’s performance this week stunning. Of not THE best, certainly one of the best I have ever heard on Idol. Unless Gloria Steinem does a guest spot, though, PeePee and Colton will be duking it out in the end. Sigh.

Comment by Yo' – March 26, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like the best possible finale to me!

Comment by Tarc – March 27, 2012 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Idology this week. And Melinda, I loved your version of “Sway”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 26, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgive me, but the only reason I can’t get on board with Colton is because he seems very Chad Micheal Murry-esque, like I expect scenes from the next One Tree Hill to start playing when he comes on stage, or I expect him to be looking intensely at one of the female contestants saying something like, “I’ll never stop loving you” while a cheesy over played “indie” hit plays in the background. I know this is a bad reason not to like someone because it has nothing to do with how talented he is, but I JUST CAN’T HANDLE IT. My sister agrees. Are we the only ones?

Comment by Brigette – March 26, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HA! He is like Chad Michael Murray! I hadn’t noticed, but now I don’t think I’ll be able to avoid the connection.

Comment by TB – March 26, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not help but youtube Melinda’s Have A Nice Day Video. LOVE YOU MELINDA!

Comment by Mitch – March 26, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are these so short this season? Can you please make them longer like last year? I really enjoy this part of the Idol experience! BTW– Go Haley!!!!!!

Comment by Kathryn – March 26, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great video this week… had soooo muuuch fun watching you guys… always wishing it could last longer… i am addicted to you, i need more than 10 minutes!!! pleeeaaaseee!!!

Comment by Larali – March 26, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK I do love Elise’s singing but can she do her amazing runs without hand gestures that seem to be lecturing us how wonderful her singing is?

Comment by Davey – March 27, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Idology in 4 parts! It’s ending to fast… we want MORE!!! :D

Comment by Ilana – March 28, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone is being so grubby! Yes, it was great when longer Idology (under whatever name) episodes were the norm. But why is everyone on here griping and pretty much demanding either longer episodes, or “at least an explanation” of why they’re now evidently limited to 10 minutes?
    Doesn’t the fact that all this complaining has been going on for weeks without either eliciting said explanation or resulting in an expansion of the episodes suggest that there is a reason for their brevity, and that Slezak either can’t or won’t be offering an explanation?
    Get off it already, and appreciate what we’ve got, i.e., some pretty terrific entertainment here!

Comment by marie – March 28, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (Yes, I’m replying to my own comment.) For example, have you noticed that now the segments are preceded by a notation of “entv”? Maybe that’s a new production company; maybe it costs more to produce the episodes now than in past seasons. There could be any number of reasons why the segments are shorter now, and they’re not necessarily any of our business.

Comment by marie – March 28, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LIVE LIVE LIVE for this segment! Michael and (season 6 AI stand-out) Melinda Doolittle are THE S**T when it comes to Idology! I wait breathlessly every week for their recaps, cynical hilarity, of the contestants performances. I can’t wait to find out what they say about the TOP 9!

VOTE VOTE VOTE FOR ELISE!

Comment by Michael Rabara – March 28, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melinda’s looking great! Way to go on those toned arms! :)

Comment by kfingers – March 30, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Message for Ausiello: What gives, dude? Mike Slezak kicks major ARCE with his terrific recaps and Idology with the awesome and wonderfu MindyD, and they only get a measly 10 min per week ?!?!?!?!?! What happ to the 3 to 5 segments they got last year? Mike talks so fast during those chintzy 10 mins, I m afraid he’s gonna bust a vein. (The latest one when heejun got kicked off is not even up yet at 4 pm Sunday LA time!) Also, Mike used to have his own AI tab on ur home page so it was easy to click on it and get my fix…then poof it was gone quickly….full recaps also very late…..me thinks this is TV Lines cheap arce work. Am sooooooo 1 bazillion % mad i am creeping back to ET ‘s fantastic Annie Barret. Who cares about the Quote Spoilers End Quote..more Slezak now.

P.s. sorry for typos ya’ll……cuz i am typing on my slow Nook.

Comment by alice – April 1, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Superb page, Maintain the fantastic work.
    Many thanks.

Comment by https://plus.google.com/103718982145268440525/posts/XmuFea9t1dL – January 2, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post