Ratings: Fringe (Frak!) Falls to New Low

Fox’s Fringe on Friday returned to a total audience of 2.88 million total viewers, down 6 percent from its last fresh episode, while dropping 25 percent to an all-time low demo rating of 0.9.

Did Peeta impair Peter’s performance? Discuss. (And say 10 times fast.)

Of the night’s other genre fare, Nikita (1.56 mil/0.5) added a few eyeballs and gained a tenth in the demo, while Supernatural (1.6 mil/0.6) dropped 9 and 14 percent, matching its demo low.

CBS’ primetime NCAA coverage led the night with and average of 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating, while Shark Tank (6 mil) was the most-watched non-sports program.

1. robinepowell says:

Fox has better move Fringe to another night if they give it a fifth season. It’s not doing so well on Friday nights, especially when its up against Grimm. ;)

• J. Norman says:

If Fringe is not doing well on Friday night against what is the weakest competition of the week, where exactly do you think it would be successful during the prime time week??
      Huh??

• Dave says:

Could put it on after idol, but that is reserved for great shows like 2 broke girls and touch. And I great I mean boring. I feel for Fringe, I’m a big fan, but obviously it can’t survive on FOX. Best hope is a Netflix pick up, but even that is slim to none. Don’t blame FOX or Bad Robot, only blame lays with the DVR happy SciFi audience. SOrry but true.

• Ana says:

friday is not a day where people stay home and watch tv, no matter what’s on… that’s pretty obvious. So even if the show faces tougher competition on other days of the week, it would still do better then on a friday. Take Community for example, the second they moved it to thursdays the ratings seriously improved.

• Human Being says:

Unless I am having a brain fart, I am pretty sure Community has always been on Thursdays. It definitely premiered on a Thursday on September 17th, 2009, and I thought it had always stayed on Thursdays . I suppose I’m not enough of an Abed to know these kinds of facts, so I could be wrong.

• Kelly says:

If Friday is supposedly not a night when people watch TV, why are so many other shows crushing Fringe in the ratings with ease? Even repeats of Kitchen Nightmares regularly spank Fringe’s a$$. Also, stop spreading false information. Community has always been on Thursday, so your claim that it “seriously improved” in the ratings “the second they moved it” from Friday to Thursday is utter bull. Also, Fringe previously aired on two other nights (Tuesday and Thursday) and stank it up so badly that it got shuttled to Friday to minimize the damage of its putrid ratings.

• Kelly says:

That is, why are so many other *Friday* shows crushing Fringe with ease? Grimm, Kitchen Nightmares, What Would You Do, Blue Bloods, CSI: NY, Shark Tank, et al?

• Fringe gets better ratings than Grimm, Supernatural or Nikita. So no, it’s not crushed by every single Friday night show. Get your facts right. And if you don’t like Fringe, you shouldn’t be here.

• Webster says:

It will do better in the original time slot maybe. It debuted to 9.13 million viewers. It grew to 13.2 million people at it’s peak. But since Fox was buying the series from WB it desperately wanted to kill the show so they could get a better deal from Warner to broadcast it. So Fox decided to play their game by moving it around and messing with the time slot that it airs. Fox and it’s executives are some of the dumbest and greediest people in the industry. But I digress. If it could be a success in primetime elsewhere in the past it could do it again. The problem is Fox can get big numbers with reality TV garbage like Idol at a lower cost to them. So that’s the way it is sir. The facts are the facts.

2. mara says:

Yeah, The Hunger Games probably had a big impact. This is really disappointing.

3. Emma says:

Oh no! I did watch live and it was an excellent episode. I know people who did skip it for the Hunger Games though.

4. Brian says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have Verizon Fios and all week long the tv guide showed re-runs of the Simpsons on at 9pm. My DVR didn’t record it, and I didn’t even realize Fringe was on until 9:55 when I happened to be flipping thru the channels. Now I’m going to have to wait a week and watch it online.

5. Amanda says:

This sucks, I really was hoping that with all the fan campaigns that these numbers would be up

6. Mia says:

AAAAAAAAAAH!!!! This is not fair. People need to watch. This is my favorite show, I am a loser and stay in on Fridays JUST to watch it live.

7. Jackie says:

March Madness probably played a role too. I know we were checking scores during commercials. Granted, probably not the same fan base but you never know

8. Kristin says:

Wonder what the DVR ratings will be like due to the Hunger Games and then the NCAA Tournament also (most shows on hiatus don’t return until after the tournament if they compete against the tournament).

This def stinks.

9. dessy111 says:

This sucks
    I should be used to it by now, but it still sucks.

10. Melissa says:

Crap! I didn’t even know it was back last night!!! I thought it wasn’t coming back until April! Now I’m sad…

11. Syc0 says:

Supernatural also had a new series/season low with a 0.5 among adults 18-49….

• Evyn says:

0.6 actually, I´m sure the ratings will be back to normal next week, it´s a shame because the episode was really good but it´s hard to compete with The Hunger Games

12. kirads09 says:

I am flabbergasted at the poor ratings. Last night’s episode was astoundingly good and revealing!!
    Augggh! :(

13. Faye says:

Sorry that Fringe’s audience is down. I was hoping for the opposite. It is my current favorite show. At this point all I ask is if this is to be the last season, give everyone enough notice to allow the show to come to a conclusion worthy of the fans who have stuck with it from the beginning.

14. DN says:

NCAA Tournament. Enough said.

15. John DeMayo says:

The Hunger Games. Enough said.

I don’t think Fox will read too much into this, considering The Hunger Games obviously pulled many of the younger viewers away. If Fringe doesn’t bounce back next week (or this week via DVR), THEN we have a problem.

16. Anxious to see the DVR numbers. That should really tell if Fringe was affected by Hunger Games and the NCAA Tourney.

17. Brittney says:

Wow I’m surprised Supernatural was so low. I thought with the return of Cas that a lot of Cas fans would be back and start watching the show again.
    I was really hoping the ratings would be high to show the writers that the fans want him back. Now I hope the producers don’t get the wrong idea. PLEASE CW WE NEED A SEASON 8!

18. bad kevin says:

The Hunger Games. A different story. Hate to Fringe be a goner until its season or series finale airs on May 11th. Hope there’s an online petition to save FRINGE.

19. Luz says:

Well that really sucks but I also didn’t realize until I was looking through my dvr around 8:20 that fringe was recording which I immediately watched. Hunger games bad weekend to come back though

20. Irishgirl says:

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Lucy and that football.

21. Susy says:

I’m upset that Fringe is not getting more viewers- it is a great show! Fox should move it to another day- Not Thursdays or Fridays.
    I also watch Supernatural and I thought Cas being back would reflect in the ratings- positively! Bummer!
    CW and Fox- Renew these two shows!!!

22. Jules says:

OUCH!
    C’mon, i Really don’t understand thoses ratings…
    It’s disrespectful from thoses who pretends to be fans and choose to go see a movie that you have all the time to go in the nxt weeks/month -rather to stay home to watch/support the faith of their favorite series…
    And it’s the responsibility of FOX, to open theirs eyes too and move Fringe to a better night like Tuesday or Wednesday..Flush(relocate) idol instead..

• Mark says:

Disrespectful?

Some of us “fans” have long ago stopped setting the schedule of our lives based on some scheduler at a TV network. We watch on DVRs. I’m sorry that bothers you, but it’s reality.

If Fringe aired for 10 years, but on Fridays, in a world without DVRs, it would be useless to me (and many of us). If it can’t survive in >this< world, we'll have to find a way to make do without it.

• Sg.Grant says:

Ahhh another glorious incoherent Jules comment.

23. BonesFringeFan says:

This is just freaking ridiculous. These ratings are so unfair to the fans, show and cast who work so hard for this show. I’m happy that Fox is acknowledging the fan hashtags and everything, but I think that if moved to another night, Fringe could do better than some if its other struggling shows. And don’t even get me started on Nielsen Ratings. If for one episode, Fox could see then number of viewers that watch without a Nielsen Box, they would be shocked at the increase. Last night’s episode was perhaps the best this season, and it did NOT deserve this ratings. It appalls me that pathetic reality shows or sitcoms like Jersey Shore etc can get high ratings, but the amazingness that is Fringe cannot. What have American television standards come to?

• Alex says:

Plus all the people who DVR because they go out on friday night. But the episode before break was possibly the best episode of the SERIES.

• carla says:

I DVR everything I watch on tv. But I watched Fringe as soon as it was over, it was an awesome episode. I don’t understand where the veiwers are!!

24. Andrew says:

I hope Fox will wait to make a decision on whether they want to bring it back (or not) AFTER these last seven episodes have aired. To not do so would be stupid. They took it off the air for a month. What do they expect?

Still, it was a good episode. I wish more people would watch.

• ben says:

I hope Fox make a decision now. To bring it back. I honestly am not sure that at this point the ratings have much of an effect on its chances. Either they are willing to give it a final season or they aren’t. But what do I know, maybe it does.

25. doug mac says:

My guide showed Simpsons repeats too

26. Alex says:

Maybe if Fox would stop with the long breaks and playong 1 or 2 new episodes before going on another break people would be able to keep up. Ratings were up before they took a break. Of course its going to come back to low ratings.

27. paul says:

I agree with the comment by Alex – you can’t run shows for 8 weeks, take 4 off, run another 8 weeks, take another 4 off. That’s why all of the Fox shows are diving. But isn’t Fringe one of the most DVR recorded shows ever? I watch each episode fresh and then watch them again on my DVR! Fringe is the best show on TV!!!!

28. Dave says:

Supernatural will get another season. Just had a bad night is all. What I find funny is all the Cas fans who said the ratings suck this year because Cas isn’t around are all no whre to be found in the comments.

• Carrie says:

I know. I thought there’d be a slight boost in the ratings because people would be curious about Castiel’s return. I forgot about the “Hunger Games” premiere, though. Where were all those fans who insisted the show was ruined because Castiel was no longer on it and said they’d only watch when he returned??

• Alice says:

I think THOSE SPN fans are over on Kristen Dos Santos’ page. I recall EPIC arguments in her comments- regardless of the show the posting was about. You guys are scary.

• Evyn says:

I´m sure they were watching but the fandom is just a small percentage of the total viewers, when the last Twilight movie came out the ratings were low to. The episode was excellent but it´s hard to compete with and anticipated movie like The Hunger Games especially because you can just watch the episode the next day on the CW page. Want to bet that the ratings for episode 21 are gone be low too because of the Avengers?.

29. Emma says:

It wasn’t advertised much where I live. I realized it was on just a few hours earlier when I read an article on this site. So that couldn’t of helped much.

30. DB says:

it’s time for “traditional” tv season to end early. there’s no point to stretch it to 8 months long, i sometimes don’t even remember things that happen earlier in the season by now.

31. jennifer says:

The ratings for Fringe make me so sad. These “hiatus happy” networks are killing many programs-not only Fringe. My only hope is that the all-important “demo” goes back up next week. I also think the episode right before the break was very good. It was interesting (in the pre-hiatus episode) how just a momentary distraction by Walter in the lab-set events in motion which led to Peter having a son,but,not with the Olivia he was supposed to be with. (At least it appears that way). With Fringe,things are not always as they seem. We really desperately need Fringe to stay on the air. As much as you may search-you will not find a program which is as unique as Fringe. I can’t explain the ratings. Perhaps Fox should promote the show more. Maybe it’s just me,but,doesn’t it seem like it’s actually against the law to PROMOTE!!! the show. Any advertising at all would help Fringe. Fringe makes people actually use their braincells & that is a good thing. I am beginning to figure out more things on Fringe.Do I have it all figured out-no,but,that is part of what keeps me watching-I am enjoying a ride that at times can truly be a mind-blowing experience. IMHO:It is very,very sad that mindless & empty reality programs are renewed year after year-while-an amazing program such as Fringe is in constant danger of being cancelled. This program appeals to those of us who choose to expand our horizons & believe all things are possible. We are the “fringe” element-(pardon the pun). Seriously though,the relationships between Peter,Walter & the various Olivias is what keeps us coming back for more. Then of course-you have the various cases they investigate & the alternate universes & so on & so on. It is a credit to the Fringe writers that they somehow make all of this come together in such an unique & compelling way. And what else can be said about John Noble? Each time I see him,I cannot imagine anyone else playing Peter’s father-he was born to play this role. Get him an Emmy NOW!!! Thank you

• Susy says:

Amen to everything you’ve said! It is mind-boggling how so many people view these reality shows (they wouldn’t be on the air otherwise),yet an intelligent and creative show like Fringe is in danger of cancellation for lack of more viewers! Preposterous! Ridiculous!
      I think Fox should move Fringe to another day- Not Thursday or Fridays! It should PROMOTE the show like it does every other show! Mondays anyone? No House or Terra Nova! Fox, how about Fringe on Monday nights?

• rubytu says:

I totally agree with everything you said, and you said it so well (thank you)!!!!!
      If we could get Fox to listen to YOU!!!!! and the rest of us too

• Kelly says:

Oh, sure, reality TV is all crap and the people who watch it are idiots, yet Fringe viewers are geniuses. Ridiculous!

32. All shows were done so at least we have that.

Seriousy I’m hoping Fox realized the fanbase this show has and what a good show they have. I think they do that’s why they have stuck with it.

33. If Fox would stop putting the show on hiatus and move it to a better night of the week where it is not competing with Grimm and Supernatural – more people would watch. You cannot expect people to watch three scifi shows at the same time. At least two of the shows are going to DVR. Fox is shooting Fringe in the foot by keeping them on Friday nights and on long vacations. Luckily we get these last eight episodes in a row.

34. Michael says:

NIKITA the only show NOT affected by Hunger Games. I think its a sure renewal for NIKITA

35. Matthew says:

Fringe should be moved to Wednesday nights. It is a virtual wasteland all year. I watch next to nothing on Wednesdays. Come on fox move it for one more season.

36. Kristina says:

Why is every sci-fi show on Fridays? They are all fighting for enough viewers to survive, and all competing against each other in the same timeslot.

37. CJ says:

Nikitaaaaaaaa!

38. Jules says:

God! Some people are weird& rude
    If 6 millions of people watched the basketball , so why can Fringe can’t do the same & more…
    I work too and program my DVR just in case was unable to arrive in time to watch it… But, I made it..10min bfore it’s started..

My point was…I just hope that FOX realize ..maybe will be better if they move it on Tuesday or Wednesday (whatever) so the series can regain a good momentum and not be in jeopardy to get flushed by the network for whatever reasons..they need to respect more theirs series and the cast/crew who work theirs ass off for their art..& help the notoriety of the network
    And move Idol instead..thoses who watch it will watch whatever days it’s on anyway..

39. Denise says:

Damn it, I am out of town. I promise to watch it when I get home!

40. Mark says:

I’m hoping Fringe can finally get cancelled so every thread can stop being filled with how great Fringe is.

41. Alice says:

I like that shows like Fringe get produced. I wish there were more like them. But I think that I am probably not the only viewer that gave up watching several episodes into this season- not because of a movie premiere or the schedule- but because Fringe just finally went too far. I could handle the alt-universe, our universe, Olivia, Bolivia, Walternate, the BABY- much as whilst a good LOST addict I could handle flashbacks, flashforwards, time-travel…and WALT. But, like the disappointing Flash-Sideways World of LOST season 7, for me, Rebootlandia was a bridge too far.

“Alternate universes are like gingerbread houses” a mad man once said, and while it was fun to look around for an episode or two, I found myself unable to dig down and care about a third and fourth set of characters, when the originals, and the alternates, were apparently gone and not to be seen again.

Clearly, when John Noble and Anna Torv cannot make me connect, I have lost my soul. (Thanks for that JJ)

But I’ve also lost interest. They’ve toyed with my mind for so long that it’s stopped being fun, and I don’t think even the most awesome of Richard Alpert reveals is going to make it worth slogging through more smoke(monsters) and mirrors before their inevitable clever conclusion. I’m sure it’s going to be great. I look forward to reading Jeff Jenson’s recaps.

• Worldreacher says:

Of course the show is too hard for u to understand…… You can’t even keep up with how many seasons there were of LOST!!! Please let me know how I can get ahold of the 7th season of LOST…. I so wasn’t ready to leave the island just yet!

42. Dee says:

Gotta love the uptick in Nikita viewers.
    It’s sad that Michael had to say good-bye to his little boy. He is such a cutie.
    But he does need to keep him safe.

I am laughing at the news that Supernatural had LESS viewers than previous weeks.

WTF happened to all the demented Destiel shippers that insisted he come back? That the angel and Dean need to be together forever and had to have a magical reunion and that they would come back en masse to watch?

HA!

Maybe the games and the movie had something to do with viewership, but it’s tough to know for sure.

I’m not worried about the show being renewed, since it can be (sort of) guaranteed to come back. Jensen and Jared are signed on for one more year.

43. six LOST seasons, just six says:

@worldreacher-Totally agree with you. Alice,when exactly was season “7” of LOST? If you let me know where I can get a dvd box set of season “7”-I’d be thrilled! Maybe it’s better Alice isn’t a Fringe fan. If she doesn’t even know how many seasons LOST ran for-then- she has no chance of ever understanding Fringe! “7”LOST seasons? Really Alice? Really??? Geez…

• Human Being says:

Wow, you guys are vicious. Retract your claws. The poor girl just made a typo, that’s all. We’ve all been there and done that. Please do cut Alice a break and realize her opinion in no way matters less just because it’s different from yours. She’s entitled to think what she wants about one of her shows, so don’t be all snobby telling her she shouldn’t watch it because she can’t understand it. You Fringe fans cannot really afford to lose viewers if you want your show to get renewed, so try being friendly to other Fringe fans who are on the fence about the show and maybe viewership will stay up. Please stop your ridiculous insults to others.

44. Louise says:

If it were me scheduling this show, I would seriously put it on monday or tuesday nights.
    The demographic is mostly at home and are able to watch instead of recording on their start of the weekend. The shows are not to blame in most cases, these programmes are here, there and everywhere all season. Ultra long breaks, returns, superbowl, blah blah blah, it’s a chore just to find out what’s happening. If television shows did that in Britain there would be uproar, so much so that when syndicated American shows have breaks they don’t even start the shows so they can play them all in one go when it’s back to normal.

They moved it originally from thursdays, that was a no-no but anyway mondays or tuesdays is where it should go if they decide to save it. (I really hope they do;-()

45. jennifer says:

@Louise-you make a lot of compelling points. I think most Fringe fans have different ideas on things which could be done to try & save Fringe. As a huge Fringe fan myself-I tend to get depressed at times when the demo #’s keep dropping. Exactly what else can be done?-Who knows? I remember during the last few episodes during the break,(for about 3 weeks) Fringe was stuck at a 1.1 for those 3 weeks. It finally(if I remember correctly)got to a 1.2 in the demo.Now ,after the break it’s down to a series low of 0.9. I personally believe this is the type of program which needs to be aired with no breaks. Fringe & many other programs are being destroyed by having long hiatus after long hiatus. Another thing the networks should take into consideration:almost noone watches programs when they first air. For example:on Friday nights you have Grimm, Fringe,& Supernatural all airing at the same time-if some fans enjoy all 3 programs( & I believe some do) it would be impossible for someone home at that particular time to watch all 3 programs live. You would have to dvr at least 2 of them. Only one would be watched live. These networks should also consider something else: with people being so busy with so many different things-most people dvr programs because they MUST-it’s not always just out of convenience,or,whatever. If you are busy with different things-you dvr the programs hoping to be able to watch later. You also must record if several programs you enjoy are on at the same time. They want you watching live because of the ad dollars involved,but,in reality-it isn’t always possible to watch live. One more thing: I appreciate this forum on shows.I believe most fans who rant here about Fringe do so out of an inherent fear-the very real possibility that Fringe will be cancelled. Just the thought scares the hell out of most of us. Fringe is truly an amazingly good program,which,if it was to be cancelled-would break the hearts of many fans-it would be a shame-really. Thank you.

46. jennifer says:

episodes*before*the break-sorry

47. Dee says:

Transferring Fringe to either Tuesdays or Mondays would *not* increase viewership.

The people who watch now would be the same people who would tune in on those nights as well.

The show would not magically get 20 million viewers. The show is complicated and would not attract a casual viewer.

If anything, if Fringe were on any other night, it would have been cancelled long, long ago.

The numbers would not support it. Heck, Hawaii 5-O gets over ten million viewers a week, maybe? It has been mentioned that it might not be renewed. Why? Expectations are high and it does air on Mondays and the numbers apparently need to be higher than what they are.

48. Ratings Game says:

Dee,the ratings are a crazy thing. You mentioned Hawaii 5-0- if it aired on Friday nights,it would be a “hit”. Actually,it would depend on the all-important 18-49 demo-that’s all they care about. Case in point:A Gifted Man. I believe at some point it drew over 9 million total viewers,yet,is on the verge of cancellation,or,has been cancelled-I’m not sure. My point is:total viewers didn’t help it because its’demographic numbers weren’t good…

• Dee says:

I guess I wasn’t clear in my post.

H5O does air on Monday, therefore, ratings are expected to be great, or better than what they are.

But, yeah, the important demo is the 18 to 49 year olds. Which is ridiculous.

49. Bob says:

NCAA Basketball and The Hunger Games. Could probably throw in that it hasn’t been on for a month, too.

50. icedx says:

They dont have enough interesting material to keep viewers engaged, its just not interested as it was at the begining.