Ratings: Touch Down from Debut, Missing and Awake Drop, Vampire Diaries Rises

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch made its double-secret official premiere on Thursday night, delivering 11.7 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating. Versus the show’s January sneak peek, that’s a drop of 15 percent in the demo, though I’ll note that the feel-good drama enjoyed greater retention out of Idol this time around (80 percent) compared to its preview (60 percent).

Touch also delivered gains of 67 and 39 percent over what The Finder last scored in the Thursdays-at-9 slot. And it was far and away the night’s most-watched scripted fare. That said, both Grey’s Anatomy and Person of Interest were riding the pine, so….

As for Thursday’s other freshman dramas, ABC’s Missing (with 8.7 million viewers and a 1.6 rating) dropped 18 and 24 percent, while NBC’s Awake (4.7 mil/1.2) fell 25 percent in the demo.

Michael Slezak’s American Idol Top 10 Results Recap: Nobody Wins From This Misery

Elsewhere….

* Community (3.9 mil/1.7) was down 18 and 23 percent, yet emerged as NBC’s most watched and top-rated comedy for the night. So that’s something. 30 Rock (3.3 mil/1.5) dropped 25 percent in its regular outing, while the second serving (3.42 mil/1.5) lost a third of The Office‘s most recent numbers. Up All Night (3.2 mil/1.4) was down 18 percent in the demo.

* American Idol, with 15 million total viewers and a 4.0 rating, was down 6 and 13 percent week-to-week.

* The Vampire Diaries (2.73 mil/1.3) rose a few percentage points, while Secret Circle (1.74 mil/0.7) grabbed a few more eyeballs.

What were you tuned into this Thursday? Or were you, like me, decompressing from the ‘Cuse’s NCAA nail-biter?

Tags:

Comments (36)

• Vampire diaries was a bore again last night. That Sage character.ruined it for me and actress is horribly bad. Hope we never see her again.

Comment by Lisa – March 23, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you that it was a bore. I’m tired of Elena pining over Stefan and making him feel guilty about everthing he is. I’m tired of her being such a bitch to Damon (and I’m not a huge Delena fan, I’m a Damon fan, actually, I’m ready for Damon to fall for a woman, not a teenager). Sage wasn’t that great of a character, and I miss Klaus, he brings so much to the show. One more thing, I really hated the storyline for Alaric, poor guy, can’t catch a break.

Comment by Jéssica Cibelly Dos Santos – March 23, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I absolutely agree with you! Elena is pathetic, pining over a guy who tried to kill her and treats her like garbage. I hate how she treats Damon and the irony is she practically confessed to Matt she loves Damon!
        I’m a huge Delena fan, but I agree Elena is so ridiculously cruel towards Damon- he might look elsewhere if she doesn’t grow up soon!

Comment by Susy – March 23, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope he does look elsewhere, I don’t want either one of them with Elena at this point. She’s a total downer.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 23, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I missed the part where Stefan tried to kill Elena. And the part where Damon NEVER treated Elena like garbage.

You’re not only a huge Delena fan, Susy.

Comment by Rumor – March 23, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You missed Stefan trying to kill Elena? He tried to kill her on Wickery Bridge.
            Now, Damon has never treated Elena like garbage- she, on the other hand, seems to revel in cutting him down weekly.
            That last comment you made- what were you trying to imply? Obviously, we disagree on the Stefan vs. Damon issue; I’m okay with that- I won’t get into a spat with you over it.

Comment by Susy – March 23, 2012 03:14 PM PDT
      • Thank goodness other people are starting to feel this too. I’ve been saying it for awhile now. Elena is whiney and boring and this pining for Stefan has gone on way to long. It’s ruining the show IMO. They new some new material stat!! Enough with poor, poor Elena already.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 23, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll agree with you about everything but Sage, I thought the actress was good I actually want her to find Finn and get the heck away from Mystic Falls she’s waited almost 900 years for the guy.

Comment by Katie – March 23, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was actually a better episode than some of the others this season! Sage was interesting, and while I really don’t like that Alaric has a serial-killer alter-ego, it was nice to have a plot going that was exciting, and not all about Klaus.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 23, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Sage looks like an old hag. And Meredith- loved her in the books, but not the tv character. Sorry Torrey, I like you, but please stay on PLL!

Comment by lorna – March 27, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Community was NBC’s most watched
    and top-rated comedy for the night despite dropping to 1.7 from last week’s 2.2. I’m actually very optimistic about its renewal.

Comment by Amy – March 23, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am in full “If they cancel Community now there will be full on riots” mode. The ratings have been great considering what it is against, and what the rest of NBC’s block is doing.

Comment by Ari – March 23, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, indeed. The fanbase is VERY vocal, as we’ve seen, so it’d be in NBC’s best interests not to anger them.
        I’m glad that “Community” is doing decently, at least, if not blowing the ratings out of the water. Here’s hoping that does translate into a fourth season.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, although I wish it had retained a few more people from last week. Since a decent chunk of The Office crew may be jumping ship, Community’s stability must be looking better and better to the execs, right?

Comment by Liz – March 23, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope people continue to give Touch a chance and hang in there with it. I love the beautiful concept that lives are all woven together and how they demonstrate that. It is really different and refreshing.

I for one am enjoying Missing. I rather like seeing Ashley going all Jason Bourne.

Comment by kirads09 – March 23, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree about Missing. I absolutely love that show!!!! Ashley Judd is actually believable as an ex-CIA agent. Her fight scenes don’t seem fake. (From what I’ve read she does most of her own stunts.) Plus she nails the emotional, mothering side of her her character!!! The last scene from last night’s episode had me in tears. I really hope people give it a chance.

P.S. Love your name!!

Comment by Kira – March 23, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Touch did not have to compete against Person of Interest and Grey’s. Lets see the numbers when both shows are on with new episodes. I truly I loved Bones on Thursday and I liked The Finder, I am just going to avoid Fox Wednesday and Thursday night until Fox starts having a stable tv line up.

Comment by Christine – March 23, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m slightly concerned that it will be going up against Person Of Interest, which is kind of about the same thing in a roundabout way. Obviously the tone is extremely different in Person Of Interest than Touch, but should Touch make it to another season, I hope they put it up against something else.

4.0 is really low for Idol….yikes.

Comment by Alex – March 23, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD was great! It always is!! So happy that more people are tuning in! I think that the Secret Circle saw a rise as there was no Grey’s or Person of Interest. Very interesting that Awake had such a large drop, personally I like it but it is easy to get a little lost at points so I think that turns people off.

Comment by sarah – March 23, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it possible the Hunger Games premiere had anything to do with it? Because I know if I hadn’t been in line last night, I would’ve been at home watching Touch and Awake.

Comment by Emily – March 23, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by turnitup – March 23, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And your basis for this abrupt conclusion is…?

Comment by Emily – March 23, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well…I watch Touch and awake last night…And honestly have more fun watching Archer than thoses two…
    and still don’t understand why people don’t watch or support Community??? It’s enjoyable and better than 30′rock …
    I respect kSutherland, but frankly, I loved 24 , but TOUCH
    Well…you put in a Blender “24 + Numbers and bunch of others show that we saw overs the years..=TOUCH
    A bit to similar…
    As for the ratings…it’s easy when yr lead by idol and most of the others series are in hiatus…

Comment by Jules – March 23, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched TOUCHED and enjoyed it very much!

Comment by Amanda – March 23, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Touch but didn’t get to watch Awake because I left for the midnight showing of the Hunger Games. I am intending to catch up on it tonight.

Comment by English – March 23, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes for Community!!! Sure it was down but it was the highest rate comedy of the night!

Comment by Josh – March 23, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know who thought that television viewers really needed Ashley Judd running around on Thursday nights, but obviously they were wrong. As I could have told them.

Comment by Hols – March 23, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want AJ running around the world chasing after her son thank you very much… She’s a real movie star on a TV show that plays like a movie with all the locations.. Tough night last night when many guys who would want to watch her were maybe focused on hoops.. No basketball next week..

Comment by drhenning – March 23, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most viewers last night were probably watching Basketball, in line for the Hunger Games, or outside doing lord knows what. It’s a given that most shows will lose viewers this time of year. Anyway: 30 Rock was hilarious last night, both episodes!!! Community was hilarious as well, Up All Night, not so much. I see NBC renewing Community, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Up All Night, Whitney (As much as I hate to say it), and Law and Order. The Office may be done for this season, although maybe it should throw in the towel. Yeah, it does get the highest ratings outside of The Voice for NBC, but still. The show, with half the cast looking for other projects, part-timing it, or leaving all together…end it now on a high note.

Comment by Michael – March 23, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope TOUCH & AWAKE gets renewed for another season and not MISSING.

Comment by bad kevin – March 23, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Guys (and Gals), What do you watch on Thursdays (normally)?

I watch The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, Grey’s Anatomy, and the Private Practice/Burn Notice (depending on time of year). I also watch Archer on FX.

Except for Flash Forward in 2010, I don’t watch the other channels on Thursday. I ‘DVR’ Person of Interest/The Mentalist but don’t watch regularly.

Please Discuss

Comment by Bob Jones – March 23, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look IMO Touch isn’t that great a show. Seen shows slightly similar to it and sure it has the Kiefer factor but to be honest its mediocre. I do like the show don’t get me wrong and its quite enjoyable to watch but it could get very boring very quickly.

Comment by greysfan7 – March 24, 2012 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Touch is good but not great. Will see how it progresses

Comment by Guy – March 24, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sl glad someone else feels the same about Elena as I do. She totally plays those Salvatore brothers against each other and is SUCH a BORE!

Comment by Jane – March 24, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Greys a repeat? Let’s see how it does against a first run.

Comment by ingreenmts – March 25, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post