Exclusive: ABC Prepping Early Renewals for Grey's, Castle, Revenge, Once and 5 Others

Get More: News, Renewals

ABC is on the verge of issuing formal early renewals to nearly a dozen scripted series, including freshman hits Once Upon a Time and Revenge and established players Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy.

Although an ABC rep declined to comment, TVLine has learned that the network’s prelim pickup list also includes Castle, Suburgatory, Last Man Standing, Happy Endings, The Middle.

Cougar Town and Private Practice, meanwhile, remain question marks. Ditto midseason entries GCB and Missing. (The fate of Private Practice, ironically, likely hinges on the ratings performance of another Shonda Rhimes drama, the soon-to-debut Scandal.)

Considered long-shots for next fall are Body of Proof, Pan Am and (the possibly Netflix-bound) The River, although a final decision probably won’t come down on those fence-riders until the May upfronts. If cut loose, they would join the already-axed Charlie’s Angels, Man Up and Work It.

The Grey’s renewal comes as ABC continues to negotiate new deals with original castmembers Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Justin Chambers, Sandra Oh and Chandra Wilson.

For the latest pickups/cancellations, bookmark TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard!

Comments (227)

• Body of Proof, Revenge and The Middle (along with the dearly departed Charlie’s Angels) are the shows I watch on ABC! Gotta have my weekly verbal jabs between Dana & Jeri – the words might be rough when they are hurled, but it is easy on the eyes.

Comment by Brad Melges – March 24, 2012 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO! HAPPY NW!

Comment by Zo – March 24, 2012 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reveeeenge! <3 All I ever wanted tbh. STOKED.

Comment by Olga – March 24, 2012 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will not be a series without Bailey and Christina

Comment by gavrielle – March 24, 2012 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy about Revenge. I hope its true. I’d love to see this show on Thursdays after Grey’s. I think they would make a great line up. I don’t care for two medical shows back to back. If Practice and Scandal get picked up they’d make a great line up together on another night.

Comment by Dena – March 24, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle!!! My favorite show on television right now! I’m on pins & needles waiting for Caskett to finally get together! And that entire cast is impeccable-LOVE the chemistry with everyone from Castle & Beckett to Ryan & Espo to Lanie & Espo/Beckett to Martha & Alexis & Castle. Simply superb. The writing is funny & fresh too, I can’t wait to see what they’ll cook up for S5!!

Comment by Jen – March 24, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice has had the best season ever. It has to be renewed!!! I bag you!!!

Comment by Bibi Walsh – March 24, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH! And anyone who is a Nathan Fillion fan but doesn’t like him in Castle, this baffles & concerns me considering Nathan IS Castle & vice versa. Richard Castle exudes the humor, charm, wit & goofiness Nathan has in spades in real life, I don’t see how anyone can NOT adore him! *le sigh*

Comment by Jen – March 24, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will say that while I have enjoyed Addison’s character development on Private Practice, but prefer it when she works with the characters at Seattle Grace. So if Private Practice gets canceled, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send Kate Walsh back to Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Lex – March 24, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So HAPPY for Once upon a time!!!!!!!! Amazing show, emma is GREAT!!!!!

Comment by V.V. – March 24, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How exactly is the link between Scandal’s success and Private Practice’s renewal ironic?

Two dramas, limited scheduling spaces. If one does well, the other might not make the cut. That’s not irony–that’s logic, Alanis.

Comment by Daw Johnson – March 24, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private practice had been awful this season..with stupids soap opera storylines that
    no one believes!

Shonda you screw private practice this season

Comment by Liza – March 24, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Revenge & Grey’s. It would be nice to see GCB get another year.

Comment by matt – March 24, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with all of you, PP needs another season at least, with 22 episodes.
    Shonda, this Addison’s journey is about give her a happy ending and a baby, it’s been 5 years and apparently we are closed to see that happen, but not so close.
    If ABC kill PP for Scandal, I will not watch anymore Grey’s Anatomy or any Shonda’s show.

Comment by OERM – March 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a renewal campaign going on for Body of Proof! http://bodyofproof3campaign.wordpress.com/ #BodyofProof

Comment by Linda – March 25, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once upon a time is the new Lost in my life

Comment by steve – March 25, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want:
    Once Upon A Time
    GCB
    Happy Endings
    Modern Family
    Suburgatory
    Revenge
    PanAm
    The Middle
    Grey’s Anatomy

Do Not Want:
    Cougar Town

I wanted the first two episodes of The River and it wasn’t for me. They try too hard to be scary in my opinion.

No Opinion:
    Private Practice (neutral)
    Missing (havent seen it yet)
    Castle

Comment by Daniel – March 25, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *watched

Comment by Daniel – March 25, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings! My fav!

Comment by John – March 25, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Castle and Last Man Standing are coming back. Some of the best shows on TV right now, in my opinion.

Comment by Chris – March 26, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! CASTLE!!!! I hope Castle and Greys have long run times both are fantastic and my week just wouldn’t be as good if I couldn’t tune in!!

Comment by Chelsea – March 26, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once upon a time, please.
    It’s spectacular, it’s perfect, it’s great.
    I truly don’t have enough words too describe it the way it truly is.

Comment by Rebeca – March 27, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its Once Upon A Time, Time.

Comment by Patricia Armendariz – March 27, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Castle and OUAT! I really hope BOP pulls off some kind of miracle. :( It did so well this week! If only…it…can make it…

Comment by Cassandra Elise – March 29, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time is genius! Totally amazing how the writers bring the two worlds together. Clean tv, clean language; I love it!! Escape tv at its best. Please bring it back next season!!! Thank you!!

Comment by Brenda Peterson – March 30, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really enjoy Revenge, Body of Proof, Once Upon a Time, Castle and GCB. These programs are much better than all of the real life programs.

Comment by Judly – March 30, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time!!!!! LOVE this show!!!

Comment by Louise – March 31, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please renew ” Once upon a time”. It’s such a great show!!

Comment by Jennifer Dorn – March 31, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes to Happy Endings!

Comment by AJ – April 1, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please, please renew CASTLE!! It is by far the best show on the air; can’t imagine losing it when there is so much more to be told!!

Comment by denise – April 1, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Abc please keep GCB on that is one of the funniest new shows in a while. Also keep private practice on it deserves a better time slot and not be put aside for a show that hasnt even premiered yet aka scandal.

Comment by brian hearlson – April 3, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if/when the announcement will be made? Getting nervous for my faves!

Comment by AmyC – April 6, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank- You , ABC for Castle and Revenge!!!! These are my favorite tv shows and Castle is my number 1 favorite show on tv.

Comment by Glenda Shearman – April 10, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My week would not be the same without Castle and Body of Proof. I so look forward to seeing these shows each week. I do hope both shows are renewed. The cast of these shows are great.
    “Having Hope ABC will do the right thing and renew both of them”
    Missy L.

Comment by Louise Guerra – April 12, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Body of Proof!!! PLEASE don’t get rid of it!

Comment by Jillian – April 12, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GBB, MISSING, CASTLE & GREY’S ANATOMY. My absolute fav shows.

Comment by sabine – April 14, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB sorry

Comment by sabine – April 14, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am praqyng and hoping they keep Once Upon A Time if not I will be utterly disappointed in ABC

Comment by OUAT Junky – April 16, 2012 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing is going to make it! Awesome!! Tim Allen and crew are doing a very good job. Can’t wait for season 2.

Comment by Tracy – April 23, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • castle is all m interested in!! ABC please renew it. (I want to see it official) <3

Comment by Shon (India) – April 23, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why GCB is going away? I like the show :-(

Comment by ashley – April 25, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a student who has no time for movies or tv, yet I am completly addicted to Once Upon A Time! Such a spectacular show!

Comment by Brandon – April 30, 2012 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love castle and revenge! Can’t wait for the official renewal :)

Comment by t – May 7, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Revenge and Once upon a time if they get renewed.

Comment by Thomas – May 9, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing and Castle are the favs of this household. For me, i want Body of Proof. I love delanys character. Shes a mix of Gibbs and Ducky (ncis- another fav show). The show deserves another season. Im glad there will be season 5 of castle and a very high chance of season 2 of LMS

Comment by KeeshondMom9 – May 11, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they cancelled the finder and tonight series finale.

Comment by Thomas – May 11, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they cancelled The Finder and it on tonight and it the series finale

Comment by Thomas – May 11, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post