Exclusive: ABC Prepping Early Renewals for Grey's, Castle, Revenge, Once and 5 Others

Get More: News, Renewals

ABC is on the verge of issuing formal early renewals to nearly a dozen scripted series, including freshman hits Once Upon a Time and Revenge and established players Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy.

Although an ABC rep declined to comment, TVLine has learned that the network’s prelim pickup list also includes Castle, Suburgatory, Last Man Standing, Happy Endings, The Middle.

Cougar Town and Private Practice, meanwhile, remain question marks. Ditto midseason entries GCB and Missing. (The fate of Private Practice, ironically, likely hinges on the ratings performance of another Shonda Rhimes drama, the soon-to-debut Scandal.)

Considered long-shots for next fall are Body of Proof, Pan Am and (the possibly Netflix-bound) The River, although a final decision probably won’t come down on those fence-riders until the May upfronts. If cut loose, they would join the already-axed Charlie’s Angels, Man Up and Work It.

The Grey’s renewal comes as ABC continues to negotiate new deals with original castmembers Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Justin Chambers, Sandra Oh and Chandra Wilson.

For the latest pickups/cancellations, bookmark TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard!

Comments (227)

• REVENGE!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Daniela – March 23, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew Cougar Town, its the best comedy. Also want Private Practice to get renewed hopefully it dows good on tuesdays.

Comment by juan – March 23, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! my favorite tv show so long. BOP is probably a goner sorry the ratings are terrible as for PP, the ratings are good so there is still hope!

Comment by Erica – March 23, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited about Revenge! Not a surprise but still awesome. And as long as (most of) the original cast will be back, I’ll continue watching Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Carla – March 23, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bodyof Proof needs another season. It’s really good, but hasn’t gotten a whole lot of promo.

Comment by Kate – March 23, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed for Body of Proof. I love this show.

Comment by Lorie – March 23, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for this, Aus. I’ve been waiting to find out if “Castle”, “The Middle” “Last Man Standing” and OUAT would be renewed. So glad to hear this great news. Now all I need is Fox to announce “Raising Hope” and “New Girl” to be renewed. :)

Comment by Maddie – March 23, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, the only time I watch ABC is for Revenge.

Comment by Chris – March 23, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I no longer watch anything on ABC. Interesting.

Comment by Renee – March 23, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caaaaaastle!! Yay!!

Comment by Audrey – March 23, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad for Castle and Revenge (which is sooo good), but really like Missing too. Wish ABC would change the time to 9 or 10pm (any day of the week). Missing does not seem like an 8 o’ clock show. Hope they see the potential Missing has.

Comment by MGL – March 23, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Castle, Grey’s and Modern Family! And please please please ABC, Cougar Town and Private Practice too!!!

Comment by Becca – March 23, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew castle abc. we would be very happy all fans of castle, castle castle love you. proud of Being addicted my favorite series this one extraordinary castle obsession show arrives Monday, March 26 4×19 ;) :)

Comment by NY♥♥ AlwaysCaskett ♥ (@SiempreCastle) – March 23, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for renewals of Castle, Revenge, OUAT… I also watch Body of Proof and have gotten into Missing these last 2 weeks.. Not sure if AJ gets her son back what they could do for season 2 though… I can’t see them not having her retrieve him especially since the show has been shot..

Comment by drhenning – March 23, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If ratings where taken in consideration PP would be renewed ahead of Castle. Even before Christmas, when Castle aired after DWTS, PP had a better season average than Castle in the demo.

After Christmas when PP decided to waste time doing those atrocious arcs that make no sense unless you see then as vanity arcs for the supporting cast, and she all the viewers that the Addison arc brought in, it still managed to keep ahead of Castle in the season average.

The only reason PP is not considered renewed already is Shonda Rhimes. Scandal will never be a hit. And if it performs at the same level as PP, Shonda would have to chose between Scandal and PP. She obviously already chose. All things being equal she would rather keep Scandal than PP.

Why? Because outside the GA franchise she never been able to have another hit show. Out of the Box wasn’t even ordered to series. Off The Map, that she hoped last season would replace PP was a flop. She is starting to need to prove that GA was not just dumb luck, before people start noticing the emperor is naked. Shonda Rhimes desperately needs another show that at least makes it in to a second season.

Comment by coord38n27w – March 23, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you know Scandal will never be a hit?? Just curious, cause i wonder how a show from Shonda that is not a medical show will look alike.

Comment by Gilly – March 23, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Scandal was expected to be a hit it would not have had production closed after 6 episodes. It would have premiered in the fall, or it would have premiered mid season in DW timeslot, in order to take it over come next season.

The fact is that ABC and Shonda know they don’t have bona fide hit. I have seen the promos and seen nothing that convinces me to watch. I get Cupid 2.0 vibe out of them. I knew when I saw the promos of Cupid 2.0 that it was going to flop, I get the same vibe out of Scandal.

If Scandal was set to be a hit PP would be competing with Castle for renewal, and having better ratings, so far, ahead in the race. Specially considering that PP was barely promoted compared with Castle, or even Body of Proof.

The fact that ABC is choosing between PP and Scandal means that Scandal is not going to be a hit, and Shonda was put in the position to pick between 2 mediocre shows, and indicated that she would sooner do Scandal than continue doing PP all things being equal. That is why Scandal gets the PP slot. To see if it performs at least at the same levels in the same slot.

Comment by coord38n27w – March 23, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree with a lot of your comments. I’m not impressed with the previews I’ve seen of Scandal. The Good Wife it isn’t. Not even close. It’s Grey’s Anatomy in a different setting. Passe. I do like the actor from Lost so hopefully we’ll see him in something else after Scandal tanks.

Comment by Heather – March 23, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT COUGAR TOWN AND PRIVATE PRACTICE !! Oh !

Comment by Amy Brenneman's WIFE (@Pitchousse) – March 23, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is my favorite show on TV. I really didn’t doubt that they’d renew it, but it will be nice to get it in writing. They definitely deserve the pick up. (Now they could just use some more publicity)

The only other ABC show I watch is Pan Am, which I really do love. I know its a long shot, but I’m not giving up hope on it! It’s clever and fun and different, and I’m already invested in the characters.

The funniest part for me, is my favorite Pan Am character (Ted) was one of the most hated (in that villain you want to see more of sort of way) bad guys(3XK) on Castle!

Comment by Vicky – March 23, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is a no brainer. It’s a popular show and has a rabid following. I love it myself. I hope Private Practice comes back. It has been consistently stellar this season. I would miss that greatly. I never miss it.

Comment by Ellen – March 23, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on PAN AM!!!! We want more PAN AM…The River has potential, I did watch the creep-fest show I think they might be able to continue but need to concentrate on their demographics more – those Saw/Paranormal Activity viewers!
    PAN AM, PAN AM, PAN AM, PAN AM

Comment by annabelle – March 23, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P.S. GCB stinks!!! It should be gone already…sorry, but I tried and it’s just not worth my time.

Comment by annabelle – March 23, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ONLY ABC show I care about is Cougar Town! So funny and underrated. I would be devastated if it didn’t get a 4th season.

Comment by Liz – March 23, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Private Practice hinge on Scandal’s success? If Scandal does well, Private Practice gets the ax? Even though Private Practice is an established show?

Comment by dmarie – March 23, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was totally thinking the same thing!?!? PP has done very well considering the lack of promotion they have been given. I would personally feel very hurt and betrayed as an actor on PP if I was basically being shoved to a different day and given a different time slot all on the account that my boss decided to produce a new show that could potentially give me the ax….

I might be totally overreacting, but I feel as though Shonda should give more time and attention to her shows that are actually succeeding….

Fingers crossed for a PP renewal! If season 5 is their last, I hope Shonda has a plan to effectively tie all the lose ends together…..I hate when a show ends and their last few episodes were rushed in an attempt to provide closure!

Comment by Meghan – March 23, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I took Ausiello’s comment about PP “likely hinges on the ratings performance of Scandal” to be more about the time slot than being renewed or cancelled. It’s all about the ratings and if Scandal does better in the time slot after Grey’s than it will have found a home. If PP does well in the ratings they will find a spot for it. However it’s never a good sign when they move a show to a different night unless they are moving it TO Thursdays.

I don’t think Rhimes had to choose between two shows at all. ABC would air twenty of her shows if the ratings were good. They think she has the golden goose.

Comment by Dani – March 24, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, where are the renewals? It’s been hours and still nothing. SpoilerTV hoax?

Why would Private Practice’s fate have anything to do with Scandal? Is there a limit to how many shows by the same creator a network is allowed to have on the air?

I would think that PP’s fate depends more on how it does on Tuesdays and on the strength of the new drama pilots.

Comment by stefanjames – March 23, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Richard freaking ruggedly handsome Castle will still appear on my screen! Lucky me!

Comment by Freakedout – March 23, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Body of Proof, especially since they’ve brought in Jamie Bamber to play the boyfriend of Megan. He’s absolutely yummy!

Comment by Kat – March 23, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle FTW YAYYYYYY
    Nathan need to lose some weight…He have a huge belly!
    private practice this season had been the worst..If they cancel private practice would be a good thing!

Comment by Anna – March 23, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still hoping somehow we get another season of Pan Am. It’s a fun show.

Comment by Cam – March 23, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey both will stay on Grey’s or both leave, in which case I’d hope Meredith & Derek will move to Africa or something to work as doctors there. Overall, I really hope story lines will improve for Mark & Lexie, Bailey & Ben and also Teddy. Owen & Cristina are having huge relationship troubles but it’s well written so far, so I hope for the best. Jackson, April can leave if you ask me. Richard will be missed if he’d leave but I can’t imagine there’s enough to tell about his character. I think that if Shonda won’t mess with Mer/Der and will write amazing stories for Mark (he had NONE) & Lexie and the other above mentioned characters, the show has great potential to continue.

I also hope Pan Am will get renewed. It’s nice to watch, although I wouldn’t be too bummed if it would get cancelled. But if I could choose, I’d say let it stay.

Comment by Caro – March 23, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m just gonna die if Private Practice isn’t renewed

Comment by sophia – March 23, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I will be heartbroken to say the least…..

Comment by Meghan – March 23, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAHOO for Castle Castle Castle!!! Still hoping for a Body of Proof, Cougar town and The River.

Comment by cc – March 23, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Castle!! <3

Comment by sd11 – March 23, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on ABC !
    What are you waiting on renew Once Upon A Time..! You know that it’s one of the best Sunday night shows second to The Walking Dead .
    And your best in comedy is Modern Family…I can honestly careless about anything else . I believe that if ABC shelled out some extra $$$ on the budget/ special effects for Once Upon A Time it would have no rivals/ competion to compete with . Keeping my fingers crossed and that it’s given another 20 + episodes..

Comment by Hilda – March 23, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just bring Last Man Standing back and I’ll be happy. ABC really sucks as a network right now.

Comment by GH4LIFE – March 23, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s Anatomy should just go away! Enough already…way past its prime. Make room for new stuff.

Comment by zoot – March 23, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE CASTLE <3 CASTLE

Comment by Connie Womack – March 23, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caskett all the way, booyah!

Comment by lucyindisguise – March 23, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *feeds the birds* ;)

Comment by audrey – March 23, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be ecstatic as long as Happy Endings is renewed. :D

Comment by Josh – March 23, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC better do the right thing on canceling shows like Pan Am, The River and a few others.

Comment by bad kevin – March 23, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG I’m so so happy for Castle!! It’s my favorite tv show!! But please ABC give Cougar Town a chance, this show is so underrated!!

Comment by Mari – March 23, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy for OUAT and Happy Endings. I hope Courgartown gets renewed too. Very underrated comedy to me.

Comment by Justin – March 23, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear about Happy Endings! Still hoping for a Cougar Town renewal!

Comment by Mr. TV – March 23, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Castle, Once Upon a Time and Revenge returning. These shows are great! I can’t get enough of Castle. I hope that Missing and Body of Proof return too.

Comment by Lea – March 23, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I so hope GCB, Cougar Town, Body of Proof and Private Practice come back. PP seems like a staple – I can’t believe it’s in jeopardy! So happy about all the renewals though – great news. Only one I don’t watch is Happy Endings. Thrilled about Revenge. GCB is a perfect replacement for Desperate Housewives – it’s everything DH was in its first season! I wish more people were watching it. Thoroughly entertaining week after week.

Comment by Maggie – March 23, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renew Cougar Town!!!!!
    The rest…Who cares?

Comment by Chaz – March 23, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that body of proof is on the chopping block, it’s had a terrible lead in yet it still rises — case in point with the river. It deserves better and will only have a couple weeks to prove itself before private practice takes over its time slot.

Comment by jake – March 23, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why isnt the scorecard updated with these?

Comment by Ken – March 23, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not official yet.

Comment by Ari – March 25, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad to hear that “Once Upon a Time,” “Revenge” and “Castle” are going to be renewed! Now if they would just add “Body of Proof” to the list, I would be one happy camper; it is the only show not on the short list that I want to see come back.

Comment by MaryAnn – March 23, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The River! Do it!

Comment by Teag – March 23, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BODY OF PROOF PLEASE! I love that show! *begging*

Comment by Ela – March 23, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Body of Proof, GCB and Castle picked up. Pan Am would be nice but I think ABC has already decided to dump it. Otherwise there really isn’t anything on ABC that I still watch. I have zero interest in Shondra Rhimes new show Scandal – it looks terrible!

Comment by Lisa – March 24, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post