First Look: Meet The CW's New Carrie Bradshaw

Carrie Bradshaw is turning back the clock.

The CW and Warner Bros. TV are taking the iconic Sex and the City character back in time for the prequel pilot The Carrie Diaries, and we’ve got a sneak peek of the titular heroine coming of age in the 1980s.

The project stars AnnaSophia Robb (Soul Surfer, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) as a young Carrie — asking her first questions about love, sex, friendship and family while exploring the worlds of high school and Manhattan. No doubt the pressure to find the right actress to fill the coveted role was high, but writer/executive producer Amy B. Harris feels confident that they have their girl in Robb. “Her grace, intelligence, sense of fun and her empathetic nature make her the perfect girl to bring” the character to life, says Harris. “The fact that she loves a gorgeous pair of heels doesn’t hurt either.”

To pull of Carrie’s retro look with style, the producers have enlisted Gossip Girl costume designer Eric Daman, who knows a little something about the New York gal, having also worked on Sex and the City.

“It’s a rare invitation to dress a character whose reputation truly precedes her,” says Daman. “Having played a hand in designing for the Carrie we know and love, I am honored to be chosen to carry the torch — to illuminate the woman we know by discovering the young lady she was.”

What do you think of the new Carrie and her ’80s look?

1. Anthony Newhall says:

Wow, surprisingly perfect.

2. Ken says:

shes hot would be better on HBO tho :/

3. Bobbi Jo says:

She’s adorable :) Perfect fit.

4. I have to say, I am not really looking forward to this pilot. I think the CW has so many more promising shows for the 2012 season that I would rather see. The Selection, Arrow and Cult look far better than this show.

5. Gerald says:

Surprisingly accurate… that being said, I still think it’s going to be crap. Besides, after the train wreck known as Sex and the City 2, do we really want anything related to SATC?

6. Chrispy says:

Will the CW audience really be interested in a 1980s period piece? Didn’t the CW already pass on this idea when Gossip Girl tried out a pilot centered on the mom back in the 80s?

7. s says:

It’s sad that she’ll grow up to look like SJP

• RaineriRRC says:

LOL’d so hard!

• Templar says:

I don’t even understand her being cast. She looks nothing like a horse.

• SJP is AMAZING! Why do people have to be so hurtful when it comes to her?! She’s beautiful in her own unique way, plus I just don’t see anyone playing the part of Carrie. SJP made her iconic.

And also, the storyline introduced in The Carrie Diaries is so different from the show. When in SatC it was revealed that Carrie’s dad ran out on her mom and her when she was five, the books have her being raised by her dad alone.

8. Ed says:

Totally going to suck, because as shown in SATC 2, Carrie didn’t meet her BFFs until a year later (Char) and a year after that I believe it was Miranda followed by Samantha. The reason I loved this show was the dynamic between the friends, so I “think” I may pass on this.

9. Morgan says:

Isn’t Carrie not a born and bred real New Yorker? I thought she moved to the City as a young woman (i.e., after college). I seem to recall that she was actually from New Jersey but maybe I’m wrong. Or have they changed the backstory now? It’s understandable, Manhattan is a more interesting setting.

• Kat says:

Yeah this is actually based on the prequel novel by Candice Bushnell, and not the TV show. In Bushnell’s novel, which came out a few years ago, Carrie was a teenager in NYC. It definitely should be more fun than wherever she came from in the original TV show haha.

• Meredith says:

Actually in the books she’s from a small town in Connecticut and then goes to nyc in the second book for a writing program

10. Johnny says:

Face isn’t long enough.

11. she’s adorable and i want her outfit. lol

12. jl parker says:

Is that the WTC in the background in the pic? (To thr ight above her head?

• marie says:

No, it’s not in the right location. The view of the Manhattan skyline in this shot is from Queens, looking South to North on from left to right. The building you’re looking at would be situated somewhere around 58th Street; the World Trade Center would be far to the left, way downtown (South), out of the frame. If that IS one of the twin towers Photoshopped in, then it’s been put in completely the wrong place, as this particular perspective would have been impossible while the buildings were standing.

13. Carla says:

Also positively surprised by this picture. But I agree with others, it’s been mentioned that Carrie moved to NYC later on and did not grow up there. So will the show not actually play in New York? So confused.

• Jen says:

According to a script review, ‘Carrie lives in generally affluent suburban utopia somewhere in Connecticut in 1984.’ (Source: Travis Yanan) She is 16, her mother is dead and she lives with her dad and a sister.

14. Jen says:

She looks cute but I am staying away from this. I loved SATC and they should just leave the show alone. It is over and done. Frankly, I don’t care much for prequels in the form of a show…and I don’t really get the appeal of the ’80s setting. All of this might work for a movie but a whole show set in the 80’s in high-school? Are they all gonna have horrible hair and walk around with their walkman?

And I really thought the CW wanted to get away from targeting mainly young women. What happend to that?

15. eva says:

Carrie from SATC grew up in Jersey according to the movie. Also, her dad left when she was little according to the show. I never got from the show that she was a high society teenager in NYC

16. Jessica says:

So the CW will have the Carrie Diaries and TVD? Lots of people who like diaries. :-) I have to agree with everyone being sceptical about the 80’s setting. It doesn’t sound like the best idea to me either.
    Since they are already releasing a picture does that mean the CW is probably going to pick up this show? Or are they just trying to find out what people think? I don’t get why they release a picture before they even saw the pilot.

17. Drew says:

Does the CW even realize that they’re failing as a network? If so, why do they keep producing the same show, geared toward the same audience, over and over again?

18. GREG says:

Carrie didnt grow up in NYC… didnt move there until after high school… we have only seen one picture and the show is already a mess.

• Veronica says:

Oh my gosh are you kidding? You don’t even know what’s happening! The show is not a mess, it’s cute. But you snobs can certainly not watch it. Just sit around and be rude and negative while the rest of us enjoy it!

19. caitl says:

She looks more like Keri Russell than Sarah Jessica Parker.

20. Caro says:

Well cast! Of course there isn’t a young SJP, I think with casting this girl we can all believe there was a young Carrie. And yes, she does look like Keri Russell a bit but hey, there’s only ONE Sarah Jessica, I don’t think they could have found anyone who resembled her more.

21. J says:

Carrie Bradshaw wouldn’t be caught dead wearing that cheap heart belt.

22. Alex says:

The heart of the show was the friendship between the women and the whole on and off love story with Carrie and Big. If we already know how it ends, there’s nothing to anticipate when each episode ends. Because who cares who she dates then, we already know what happens after. You need an element of suspense in order to have a good prequel (aka we all wanted to see Darth Vader become Darth Vader – I won’t get into how that was messed up but it’s that idea). It’s just not the same element here. At least not to me. Though I do think the casting is spot on.

23. Kat says:

I won’t watch this because its made by the same people who made Gossip Girl and they ruined that show. Never again!

24. Am annoyed at networks not pitching anything new? How about something original that hasn’t been done already!

25. Alex says:

Casting shot is good.

But the whole idea of the show is ridiculous – I don’t see how this can possibly work. These kind of shows need to have the possibility of things happening – such as a happy ending for the main character, or not a “happy ending” but something completely unexpected – and the whole concept is completely screwed because when this hypothetical show ends she would just become “single girl Carrie” who lives in New York for the next 20 years. There’s no possibility of change! It may sound dumb, but if we know what the end-game is, it’s just going to be frustrating and boring. And how much of a prequel are they planning for this to be? In Sex and the City we found our she broke up with her highschool bf and he ended up in a mental asylum. There. Already a MASSIVE spoiler for someone who would no doubt be a main character.

A show I will definitely not be watching. Unless of course Carrie is not the main character – it might be watchable if she was just a fringe character. Then I might watch, since there would be the main characters to focus on, who we would not know about. But seriously, they need to throw away this “prequel” train of though (also shown with the attempted GG prequel) – you can’t prequel these kind of shows. That kind of thinking is just flawed.

26. erin says:

can anyone tell me exactly when this show starts? im such a big fan of the original…im a sex in city trivis pro(got game for xmas yrs ago) ive read the book…and would love to check out the new show. i just hope its not to youngish. does anyone know the airing date?

27. Veronica says:

Were ANY of these comments left after you saw the show? It is positively goofy, people swearing they won’t watch the show because of one photo! I have been watching and it’s fun. It feels more and more like a stand-alone deal than “Sex and The City Prequel: How Carrie Was Exactly The Same At 16 As She Was At 36!”. This project is sticking to the source material, Bushnell’s books. SATC sort of borrowed from SATC and then kept going :) I was 16 in 1985 and I am loving it, especially the music! And while CB of 2000 wouldn’t match her shoes to her belt, of course her teenaged self would!

Also – SO tired of hearing ugly comments about Sarah Jessica’s looks. That is the face she was given. People who hate plastic surgery think she should get a nose job! Why? She is seen as gorgeous by so many also – hello, have any of you graced the cover of VOGUE? Didn’t think so.

I just stopped by to see if I was seeing or imagining that the WTC is not in the show – I guess it made everyone too sad. Weird and makes me think about it more with it not there.

28. Veronica says:

Oh – and it is a rainbow belt with a red heart. :)