Ratings: Bent Out of Shape in Debut, Even As Whitney and Chelsea Rise; Criminal Minds Pops

Well this is most unfortunate. NBC’s Bent debuted on Wednesday night to just 2.8 million total viewers while scoring a 1.0 demo rating. A second helping of the charming comedy delivered 2.4 mil and a 0.9.

For comparison’s sake, NBC’s Whitney premiered to 6.7 mil and a 3.2, while Are You There, Chelsea? drew 6.4 mil/2.3. Even Free Agents [shudder] — which like Bent aired on a Wednesday — broke 6 million viewers while netting a 2.1 rating.

Leading off the night for NBC, Whitney (4.2 mil/1.6) was up 14 percent in the demo week-to-week, while Chelsea (3.5 mil/1.4) saw a 27 percent surge.

Elsewhere on the night….

* American Idol of course dominated with 16.6 million total viewers and a 4.9 rating, down 10 percent from last week’s sing-off.

* Over on CBS, both Survivor (10.2 mil/2.7) and CSI (11.22 mil/2.5) were down 10 percent in the demo, but Criminal Minds (11.9 mil/3.2) surged 14 percent.

* Leading out of a Modern Family repeat, Happy Endings (4.1 mil/1.8) dropped a good 20 percent.

* One Tree Hill, with 1.45 mil and a 0.7, dipped a tenth in the demo. Top Model rose 20 percent to 1.3 mil/0.6.

1. Tt says:

Too bad I loved it

• rebecca says:

I loved Bent. Had no idea this was a show until i read about it here. Great job promoting a good show NBC. I guess they save all the promotion for crappy shows?

• Ace says:

I’d never heard of it either, but Hulu recommended it to me, so I figured I’d give it a try. It’s good!!! I hope it sticks around. It deserves to be advertised a little more, at least.

2. Catherine says:

I thought Bent was hilarious, but do not even remember seeing ads for it until about a week ago.

3. Josh says:

To be fair all those had better promotion then Bent..

4. jasie says:

I don’t recall seeing even 1 preview for this show you call Bent. Seems like the network had zero faith in the show.

5. Michelle says:

I saw quite a few previews for it, but none of them looked very funny.

6. Emily says:

I thought I was pretty on top of TV news, but I hadn’t even heard of even the name Bent until yesterday. Why does NBC even bother airing it when they start by actively trying to kill the show. Is it true they’re burning off the whole first season in three weeks?

• Maggie says:

I couldn’t agree more – I’d never have known it was even on if I hadn’t seen Amanda Peet on Ellen talking about it. I’d never heard of it. I don’t understand why NBC would do this either – order episodes b/c you have faith in the show and then promote it and give it the attention it deserves, or pass on picking it up in the first place!! Why burn off 6 episodes in 3 weeks, ignore it, and let it die? That’s idiotic.

7. bad kevin says:

BENT is another example for being a bad sitcom. WHITNEY & CHELSEA, you’ve been warned. :-(

8. meaganwick says:

I thought it was great. The cast had really good chemistry. Too bad so few watched it (and it was given so little publicity).

9. pennylane says:

Bent. It’s tough when a show comes out of the gates with such a low rating and it can be really hard for it to get a following or to develop into a great comedy.
    Look at Whitney. It came out of the gate with good ratings and that helped it get some time to become a really great show. I watched it last night and it’s by far turned into one of my favorite shows of the season and I would have never said that at the start of the season. Sad for Bent but it’s a hard place to grow with that dismal start.

10. Christa says:

Last year I remember seeing an ad for bent and thinking it looked good, then lately all I saw was the one with the guy and the hose which made me not want to watch it till I saw the original ad and was like oh yeah it looked ok :) bad NBC

11. Colleen says:

I enjoyed Bent but i pretty much expected those numbers giving NBC’s want to just burn the show off. But holding off Bent while promoting the hell out of Whitney and Chelsea all winter is the most recent in a series of decisions showing NBC has no idea what they are doing.

12. JoannePistonFan says:

One Tree Hill made me sob to the point that I couldn’t stop crying, even while watching the 3rd quarter of the Pistons game, and they were WINNING. The return of Craig Scheffer gutted me. Good times.

13. Jen says:

Too bad NBC is burning it off. It is a great sow.

14. sarah says:

Bent is great. I laughed super hard and then I recorded it later so that my husband can watch it and I will watch with him.
    Alex thinking Pete was hitting on her and then him telling her he has not made her his killer guac and that his pants are still on, was funny. Then the whole sex talk with Pete and his dad, that was all before the first commercial….I really hope this show lasts but sadly I am sure that being on NBC will doom it and it won’t.

15. Wolfie says:

NBC never had any faith in it. They did next-to-zero promotion, cut its order to 6 episodes and put it to mid-season. It’s completely the network’s own fault. Such a shame as I found it endearingly funny – Walton and Peet have brilliant chemistry.

16. Jake says:

ABC is killing Happy Endings by airing it by itself. Its really annoying, if it gets cancelled its ABC’s fault, its surround by repeats.

17. Cindy says:

Bent was great.I loved it and I am not a sitcom watcher. I hope they give it a chance,I would love to see more.

18. Ant says:

Never heard of Bent til now.

19. KSM says:

I really liked Bent, but I only happened upon it because I was on the guide on my TV and everything else I watch was a repeat, so I figured i’d try it. NBC did a horrible job promoting it. They must want it to fail. Also, who starts a new show against AI without a solid lead in?

20. NielsenSucks says:

See. Tvline told me to watch Bent yesterday but I didn’t want to get attached to it because I had a feeling the Nielsen families wouldn’t watch it and it would get canceled.

21. carpoolcandy says:

I loved Bent. Smart writing and lots of chemistry. Hope NBC hears the positive viewer response and critic raves and gives it a chance.

22. Tommy says:

I watched Bent with the lack of promotion on NBCs behalf. I saw a bilboard for it and figured it could be good. And it was! Sadly in true fashion NBC will burn it and stuff like Whitney and 2 Broke girls will prevail. (I know they’re different networks) I give every sitcom a chance and I cant believe those shows get good ratings. My little brother can write funnier jokes then that.

23. RKar says:

Whitney is actually starting to grow on me. Chelsea, not so much.

• Ace says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s starting to not hate Whitney. That show is really turning a corner. Think there’s any chance NBC will keep it around next season? It would pair well with Bent, actually.

24. Jeff Hunter says:

I am a TV fanatic and never heard of Bent until after it aired, watched the first two episodes online and thought it was one of the funniest / best new comedies of the year. What is NBC thinking burning off a show like this ? It’s far better then most of the new 30 min comedies.

I put this show up with Cougar Town (pretty much the only comedy show on TV I bother watching week to week).

25. Toms1€ says:

bent was great. too bad chelsea was it’s lead in

26. bad kevin says:

Fingers crossed for Happy Endings to get renewed for a Season Three.

27. Rolfe says:

NBC can’t catch a break… I only saw one or two promos for Bent. I watched Idol instead,

28. Mitholas says:

Seriously, after seeing the pilot I can only conclude this is an extremely solid pilot. One of the most solid comedy pilots I’ve seen in a while. And this is NBC, a network where comedies tend to take at least 12 episodes to actually start to get good. Look at how long it took Community to become the amazing show it is now. They finally have a show that started out really well, and they treat it this way? I’m appalled.

29. Jason says:

OMG! “Bent” was positively hilarious!! David Walton and Amanda Peet are frikkin comedy geniuses. The chemistry was palpable! I don’t “get” what NBC’s endgame is with this great show….put it up again Idol and Modern Family with zero promotion? Thank heavens for TV critics who raved about it online, causing me to flip directly from OTH to Bent….and man, oh man, am I glad I did! I’ll be back next week, and the week after that!!!

30. Velvet says:

I like Amanda Peet. I will tune in next week.

31. matthew c says:

Too bad. I really liked Bent, even if Amanda Peet was very bad in her role. But I’ll watch David Walton in anything.

32. Susie says:

Awesome for Criminal Minds!! That was one of the best episodes I’ve seen of my favorite show and I am a DEVOTED fan!! Very very happy it soared in the ratings last night!!

33. MB says:

Bent was very good. NBC will blow it.

34. Jessica says:

I LOVED Bent. I’m recording the season on my DVR and would stay with it. I’m really upset that the ratings were so bad because I know what that means these days. Networks barely given shows a chance anymore. Of course, I’m not surprised, if you think about it. NBC barely promoted the show, so most people probably didn’t even know about it. And it’s only on for 3 weeks?!?! It’s like they started making it and then changed their minds so now they’re sabotaging it. Well I LOVED it, and I hope a ton of people start watching online or on their DVR’s and the ratings are better next week!

35. William says:

I will never understand why NBC does what it does, but if they were smart they would keep this show and let it find its audience like Seinfeld did way back when. With the Office imploding and 30 Rock likely to follow suit, they are sorely in search of a strong comedy rock.

36. That Blows, Bent in my opinion is one of NBC’s best comedies.