NBC's Smash Is Renewed for Season 2 - Minus One Key Player

NBC has made its second scripted renewal for the 2012-13 TV season, and the honor goes to the Monday-night musical drama Smash. The twist? A key player from Season 1 is stepping away from the spotlight.

NBC Renews Grimm for Season 2

As reported by our sister site Deadline just hours after NBC picked up Smash for another run, Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck will not be returning as showrunner. Rebeck will retain her executive producer title, but step away from the day-to-day operations to return to her theater roots. There is no word yet on who might take over the reins for Season 2.

To date, Smash is averaging 7.7 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, representing the network’s best tallies for a drama in both measures and improvements of 100 and 160 percent over the Peacock’s previous Mondays-at-10 average. That said, after opening its season with a real crowd-pleaser, the direction of the drama has come under fire by critics and viewers.

Smash First Look Video: Can Julia’s Husband Sing Her Troubles Away?

Smash‘s Season 2 order is for at least 15 episodes, says a network source. As previously reported, the 15-episode freshman run will “take Marilyn to an out-of-town tryout, her first really public presentation,” per series creator and Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck. Season 2 will ultimately follow the production to Broadway and raise the question, “How does Marilyn fare in New York?”

CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSIs Left Up In the Air

Are you glad about Smash‘s renewal? And what changes would you suggest for Season 2?

1. Niobe says:

Wow. It got renewed? Huh. Hope it gets better. Seemed like something was missing when I tried it out. I’m glad for its fans tho.

2. Sable says:

I am delighted by this renewal. What NBC needs to do is to change the air time for season 2. It is up against Castle and Hawaii Five-0, and probably has a similar audience that can appreciate quality shows. I love all three and have to record two of them for future viewing every week.

3. Titina says:

Yay! I am so so happy!
    I would love to see Derek and Karen get together for season 2. The tension and the chemistry between those two is off the charts! Love them together!

4. Joanne says:

Happy about the renewal….think Karen AND Ivy’s voices are outstanding …..Also love Tom…and Julia….the whole cast is great! Love the whole vibe….and the NY scenes

5. Matt says:

It might be the poorest written and acted show on TV. How sad that a show this terrible era renewed.

6. Alex says:

Now let’s renew Parenthood, Awake, Community, and Up All Night!

7. Jenna C. / NJ says:

Very good news. Icing would be to see more of Thorsten Kaye (Nick) and have his role expanded! Enjoying him very much and looking forward to Nick and Eileen getting to know each other better.

8. Amy P says:

Yay! I would suggest much less Ivy, and much more Karen!

9. Donna says:

So glad it has been renewed. I rewatch it just to listen to the music again. I really liked the chemistry between Julia & Michael. I just do not think that she loves her husband anymore & she really loves Michael.He loves her and is willing to risk everything for her.I wonder how they are going to handle this story line. I cannot get enough of Karen’s singing.

10. Drew says:

I’m kinda cool with the showrunner being replaced. While the backstage stuff has been interesting, the normal TV drama has been done pretty poorly, so it might not be her thing. If they could bring someone in who can manage the drama and have it come more organically from the backstage stuff, that would be nice.

11. JJ says:

Smart move NBC. It may not be a ratings giant but I think you may have an Emmy in there somewhere and a sophomore success.

Theresa leaving is a good thing. The show itself hasn’t quite lived up to the original promos it the potential is through the rough with the wonderful McPhee and the amazing Megan Hilty!

Please please please get rid of Ellis!! He’s a terrible actor and so bright eyed blink blink smile shrug aw shucks annoying!!

I hope they add more cover songs because while I enjoy the ‘Marilyn’ songs a true musical uses songs to further the story/speak for the character and will connect more with the viewer.

I know I’m supposed to root for Karen Im Team Ivy all the way! The voice, the body, the stage presence, etc. she’s Marilyn!

12. Ashton says:

idk if i want julia and mike together forever, but i definitely want to keep him around. It gives julia’s character more depth which i love

13. Kristen says:

Out of town try outs in Minneapolis usually go well–they should do it here! Lion King and Victor/Victoria began here… I am liking the music of the show a lot and I really am not a fan of the real Marilyn. Ivy/Megan should get to keep the part–Karen/Kat is an OK singer but she is no Broadway star and couldn’t carry a show. Boring as an actress. Don’t be surprised they’d stick with Marilyn folks; real shows take even longer to get to B’way. I am betting they plan to actually put this up or tour it afterwards, too.

14. Ro says:

I love B’way musicals and love the show. Part of sitting in the audience is the drama, glamour and dedication you feel from the performers when they’re on stage. You feel it and and you wonder about these people and their stories. Thanks for creating a story that fills in the spaces.

15. phatcub says:

I’m over the top happy about this renewal!! This show has become one of my favorite hours of TV. Kudos to the cast and crew!!! Love the bartender…great iCandy. Lights, cameras, music….bring on the second season!!!

16. Steph says:

YAYYYYYYYYYY!

17. Peter Grant says:

I’m glad they dropped the soapy doomed romance subplot, which was more age-appropriate for “Glee.” Apart from the poor writing for the character, I think that a bunch of Broadway veterans could find an actor in NYC who looks vaguely Italian to play DiMaggio. I’m glad someone told the writers that Anjelica is in the cast so they finally gave her something to do other than toss cocktails. Katharine looks scary as Marilyn — talented, but wrong. It must be in her contract that she gets to sing a song each week and the plot creaks to make that happen are louder than her band. Considering how Donkey helped Shrek become a better ogre, they should add a talking animal sidekick for the director, whose personality we could forgive IF he acted in any way competent at his job. So much talent miscast or wasted in this show. A better name would have been “Crash” — it could have been “The Producers” mounting a flop instead of glimpsing a promising show within a flop.

• JJ says:

I don’t think they’ve “dropped” the doomed romance subplot at all but they’re only taking that storyline in the direction that Julia character is having guilt/conflict over it. It’ll continue but now it’s a spurned lover angle rather than an adulterous one.

I don’t think the challenge in casting someone who looks like DiMaggio is finding someone Italian looking it’s finding someone as unattractive as DiMaggio was. Regardless they’d be foolish to cast a leading man that is not easy on the eyes.

DiMaggio is a sports legend but this face http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/491222_Yankee-Slugger-Joe-Dimaggio.jpg is not one a casting director wants to find or an audience wants to see.

18. Lisa says:

I’m thrilled that Smash is coming back for a second season! It’s a wonderful show and a breath pf fresh air amidst all the reality TV garbage out there. I just hope they give Karen a shot at being Marilyn since Ivy gets on my nerves. Also, some more interaction between Derek and Karen…they have such great chemistry!

19. Elaine says:

I do hope you get the MARILYN play to BROADWAY very soon, we want’ more!!!!!

20. Brooke says:

Not at all surprised but where is Revenge’s renewal?

21. leah says:

hey matt, any news on david marshall grant? has he signed on again for s2? might he be the new show runner–he was running brothers & sisters in the final seasons, yeah? (i’d love someone not from new york to give the show some new energy–and this is coming from someone who works in the theatre industry in ny–but i doubt that will happen…)

22. PPOZZO says:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANIMATED COMMERCIALS DETAILED FOR THE THEME OF THESE FIVE MILLION VIEWER PROGRAMS. YOU KNOW, SMASH THE TOOTHPASTE WHEN IT’S DONE; DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL WITH TV ADVERTISING.

23. PPOZZO says:

the entire point of interactive webnets should bring NBC in close with all types of one
    aspect == namely ad descripting, which is why your wife made good contact money in a given period of time.

24. Marcus says:

Did anyone else look at the picture and think that was Debra Messing until they read the article?

25. Ryan says:

so glad that it is coming back. the show is great! it’s nice to see some different shows that aren’t about cops, detectives, or murder. and as someone else commented, I am so hoping that parenthood gets renewed as well. I love ther Braverman family!!!

26. JMG says:

What happened to Will Chase? Loved him on the show….

27. danarosa says:

So excited!!! I absolutely love this show. Such a great change of pace for todays tv lineup. My fave by far!!!

28. Jimmy says:

I agree get away from Marilyn story line, Ellis obsession w/Karen has legs…Ivey and Karen in more scenes together,but keep tension going…tone down gay stuff…get rid of Julia’s husband(&son)…hottest episode was the affair on couch…more Karen in spandex! Good luck

29. Linda says:

I LOVE Smash! It is one of the BEST new hour long shows around and I don’t like that many new shows. I love Whitney also…can’t wait for it to come back! I’m loving that Angelica H. is going with Ian from AMC….Love when older sexy women date younger men…it’s Womans turn to do that now!! I know I should like that Julia on the show is back with her husband…but I loved her with the other guy more! Still…loving the show! Lots of talent! Get rid of Uma though….in real life she is probably nice, but on the show…ICK!

30. Linda says:

BTW…to the person who said tone down gay stuff…..Do NOT listen to that! My daughter is Gay and happy with her Wife….don’t be so narrow minded.

31. Linda says:

wanted to add that Debra Messing is Dating and in love with Will (Michael on show) in REAL life…no wonder they have chemistry! Put them back together..she has no chemistry with the husband on the show. Sorry.

32. Anna Mal says:

I absolutely love this show! I come from a family who has seen millions of musicals, live and on TV. I love Katharine McPhee, and I cannot wait for her to be Marilyn. She is more captivating when she sings than Ivy. I have been a huge fan of Glee these past few years, but recently the show has been a huge let down. I am so glad there is another musical based show for me to watch. Smash seems a thousand times more realistic than Glee too. Love the show! Cannot wait for season 2. I would love 22+ episodes.

33. Ashley says:

So glad they are renewing this show. I love it, hope it’s stays on for a long run!!!!!

34. Leslie says:

would love to see Smash move to 9 p.m.!!!!

35. jim dwyer says:

Smash is my Monday night cocktail party, love Ivy and Eileen, oh yea and everybody else. Get Messing out of that house and into the theater and stop bringing me down with that I’ll be good routine of hers. He’s hot, go for it. Thanks NBC for another season.

36. Sara says:

Yeah! I am so loving this show. Just bought myself the extended soundtrack from Target for my Mother’s Day Gift. Love this show, the music, and everything about it. Thank you NBC for renewing it for another season. Can’t wait for September now!! Whoot, Whoot!!!!

37. L says:

Megan Hilty is so much more talented than Katherine McPhee. She is a real theatre/Broadway talent, not a reality tv talent show star. She looks awkward. More Ivy!!!!!!!!

38. Eric says:

Love the show. Just hope they kill off Debra Messing whiney husband and child!

39. David Platt says:

Absolutely thrilled they renewed this. This show demonstrates that Katherine McPhee should have won Idol instead of Taylor Hicks (what a loser).

There are some great singers on the show that don’t get many numbers (like Tom, Debra Messings’ writing partner) and hopefully that will change in season 2.

I was quite impressed with the season finale – McPhee did a great job.

40. Gris says:

So happy that there’s a season 2!!!! Can’t wait to watch it!
    <3 Smash!!!!

41. CeeJ says:

Glad to hear it is renewed. I’d like to see Michael and Ellis gone. I didn’t like either of them from the start and find it unbelievable that anyone has kept the Ellis character around this long – his character should have been fired long ago. I happen to like Julia’s husband and I like them together. Not a huge fan of Dev but the story line adds something. Watched the season 1 finale last night and was left wanting more!

• Dev I like but I don’t like the story they put him through, they didn’t need another affair. Michael is, rightly, a dick but he knocks that Lexington avenue song out of the park. Ellis is hopefully gone but I’m sure he won’t be :(

42. Romal says:

they renew this and cancel awake…… as smash goes on it gets worse and worse. It wont make it past season two if this lack luster plot keeps it up.

43. Enjoyed the show, want the music & songs and CD but don’t see the need for a second season. It ends perfectly with a high for everyone bar Ivy and Ellis.

44. K says:

This is one of the silliest shows to ever be broadcast in the history of television.

• LOL silliest — my god man /lady you don’t watch much on that box then

All that aside I’m getting McPheever back after watching this season and finding so much on U Tube :) I believe Katharyn has developed into a lovely young lady with an amazing ability to act and needless to say SING! geez if I were 50 years younger I

• Sable says:

Seriously? With all the idiotic reality shows and the inane vampire shows that abound? Not to mention using the word, “ever” in regard to a show is hyperbole to its extreme. There was a show called, “My Mother, the Car,” you know.

45. Maria says:

Love the show..glad it will be back.

46. Rinna Rivera says:

I love smash, I’ve watched from pilot to end. I record it since it’s aired late night & I enjoy watching it the day after… Glad its coming back! Hope the show will last for more than 2 seasons… love the characters! Congrats

47. Woah this weblog is magnificent i really like studying your posts. Keep up the good work! You understand, lots of individuals are searching around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

48. Kiera says:

Love that the show is back for second season. Does no one know the title of the musical is BOMBSHELL. I mean come on people. Leo must be recast. How many young, actually good ,actors are out there who could have owned that role? I love McPhee and her voice but I Love Hilty more. Dev can go and find a rock to live under. And derek needs to figure out if he REALLY LOVES IVY before he kills her.

49. Michael Collins says:

I haven’t seen such a quality show on TV in years. It’s sophistiated with smart writing and a notch above most of the shows on this season. The critics need a lobotomy.Thi is such a fantastic show that captivates, entertains and maks an hour seem like 20 mins. You yearn for me each week.
    Kathryn McPhee got ROBBED of an emmy nomination. Watch the episode, #15. Shes fantastic is evey oe, but just watch this amazing talent and then compare her to who is nominated and ask yourself if any one of them could have done this singingm acting and dancing to absolute perfection. She is beyond talented, she’s almost to good for TV. She is “Spot on,” in her performances. the emmy’s really blew it She was so obviously overlooked, IU realized this year, that the emmy’s are much more than taent, theyh are ruly politics. Kathryn McPhee should have been rehearsing her acceptance speech,instead the jokes on the cirtics, the emmy academy for absolutly humiliating themselves in thir credibility.
    The stage settings, the ensomble cast of talent and the writing were supurb. What in the world is wrong with the critics? Anyone that watches this says what I am saying. It’s almost as if there are politics, and the critics don’t want this to suceed. What kind of quality TV could be better than this. HUGE KUUDOS to NBC for knowing what they have.
    This is so welll done.. and if you enjoy the thearter at all… this is a snapshot and an opening into their world of reality in the making of a broadway show.
    If the emmy’s were any kind of classw act, they would beg Kathryn McPhee to do trhe opening number. She should have been transparantely nominated for best actress out of the shoot. If someone has to paytheir dues then it’s really not the “Best Actress” it’s the one ho has endured the most.
    Kathryn you “ARE the star in Smash, and bring complete class to American television. You are larger than American Idol and have the voice of an angel and are a very naturally talented actress.
    IF the American people don’t “idolize you this coming season, they have lowered their ablity to understand what great productions and fantaswtic TV really is. Steven Speilburg has done as usuala fantasic job on this show.
    AND THE WINNE IS…. KATHRYN McPHEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. Moosie Meese says:

Love the show. Love Karen. Hate Karen’s boyfriend – there is no chemistry there. He is pathetic. Who cast him anyway? The other casting is great. Except Uma – yuck. And I have always been fascinated by Angelica Huston, even when I hated her movies. Remember “Chawlie?” Find Karen someone in the troop where there can be some forbidden romance. Also I like the love/hate relationship between Karen and Ivy.