The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

On TV this Wednesday: One Tree Hill uncorks your waterworks, a new NBC comedy invites you to get Bent, CSI is touched by an Angel and more. Here are eight programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm One Tree Hill (The CW) | When the search for Nathan becomes increasingly dangerous, Dan’s life hangs in the balance. TVLine’s Meg Masters gives tonight’s episode “10 Kleenexes (out of 10) if you’re a longtime fan of the series, 8 if you joined post-time jump… and zero if you’re as heartless as Dan Scott once was.”

8 pm American Idol (Fox) | The Top 10 perform. Unless, that is, they find a way to bring back Jermaine and kick him off a third time.

American Idol Top 10 Theme Is Billy Joel: We’ve Got Suggestions for Every Contestant!

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | As the BAU searches for a kidnapper of young boys, Morgan, reaching into his own scarred past, tries to bond with one found child.

9 pm Bent (NBC) | I wasn’t expecting much when I popped the pilot for this new comedy into my DVD player on a flight to L.A., but next thing I knew I had merrily plowed through four episodes. Charming, addictive, well-cast and at times very funny, it stars Amanda Peet (Studio 60) as a recently divorced mom and David Walton (Perfect Couples) is the charming cad of a contractor hired to fix up her house. Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development), Jesse Plemons (Friday Night Lights) and J.B. Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm) co-star. Modern Family is in repeat mode for three weeks, so definitely worth a look. (A second episode follows at 9:30.)

9:30 pm Happy Endings (ABC) | When Dave is bullied at the gym (by guest star Bobby Moynihan of Saturday Night Live), former bully Alex coaches him on how to fight back; advice from Penny results in an all-new, suddenly chill Jane.

CBS Renews 18 Shows for Next Season, Fate of Two CSI Series Left Up In the Air

10 pm CSI (CBS) | The team is called in to investigate a robbery-homicide at an “Alice In Wonderland”-themed wedding (watch a sneak peek); when Hodges’ mother (played by Charlie’s Angels alum Jaclyn Smith) comes to town, he tries to pass Morgan off as his girlfriend.

10 pm Psych (USA Network) | When the founder of an at-risk youth program is shot, Shawn, Gus and a few members of Gus’ college a cappella group investigate to find the culprit. Mekhi Phifer (Lie to Me) and Jaleel White (Dancing With the Urkel!) guest-star.

10 pm Rock Center With Brian Williams (NBC) | What, just the name of this newsmag almost made you zzzz? What if I told you to watch for a segment on AMC’s returning Mad Men? That’s right, pretty people alert!

1. Lauren Rife says:

I wasn’t expecting much from Bent either, which is why I was gonna skip it, but after reading your review I might check it out. Thanks! :)

2. Trista says:

Bent sounds a bit like that Sela Ward, Billy Campbell series – Once and Again. I liked that show and I love Amanda Peet so I will give it a chance!

• Eli says:

wtf.. it does not sound like Once and Again at all??? It sounds more like lots Who’s the boss or any of a dozen other sitcoms that follow the same theme.

• CJ says:

I wondered how they were going to turn a play about homosexuals in a Nazi concentration camp into a sitcom, then it turned out to be unrelated (except for borrowing the title). With a cast like that, it’s bound to be better than a lot of the quickie sitcoms that pop up in the late season most years. I don’t get the double-pumping of episodes for 3 weeks, though. It’s like they don’t want it to succeed.

3. Sherri says:

Criminal Minds. . . Morgan, Morgan, Morgan.

4. Kristen says:

Any Morgan-centered ep of CM is bound to be good. Remember how good Profiler, Profiled was??

• uh huh says:

That was a looooong time ago—back when CM actually WAS good. It’s been boring for several years now.

• Justin says:

Wrong Answer! The only time that Criminal Minds WASN’T good was season six, when Prentiss and JJ left, then came back. Every other season has been great.

5. Ted says:

Bent sounds good – I will watch hope it’s worth and a fresh brise!

6. Ted says:

Bent Sounds good I will watch hope it’s worth and a fresh brise.

7. Renee says:

You had me at Jesse Plemons. His Landry was brilliant on FNL so I have to check Bent out.

8. TheLonelyPlace says:

Was James Lafferty ever in an episode of one tree hill in this season if he has been missing?

9. Heather says:

ONE TREE HILL!!!! I am freaking out… I will have my Kleenex handy :)
    James has been in most episodes… he might have missed 3 or 4… They are showing him while missing.

10. kirads09 says:

CSI for sure. (Jaclyn!)

I tend to only watch Criminial Minds when it is Reid centric which isn’t near often enough for me! I understand Matthew directed NEXT weeks episode, so I’ll be there.

• Michael says:

That kinda of dumb don’t you think?

• kirads09 says:

Not really. I am a huge Matthew Gray Gubler fan, more than a fan of the series itself. Everyone has their own viewing tastes and habits which is what keeps it interesting.

• Michael says:

Well that kinda of mean and selfish

• rubytu says:

I am also a Matthew Gray Gubler fan, the only reason to watch this show, imho. It tends to be the same show week after week, bad guy is killing (women, men, boys, girls, dogs) and they make ridiculous connections to profile him and find him (you expect us to believe this?) and catch him before the last victim is killed, I imagine that is supposed to be suspenseful, but when you see the same show week after week, you know how it’s going to turn out. Am I right?

• Justin says:

Um, that’s the idea behind a procedural, that it is the same show week after week. What makes the show great is the show’s premise, and CM has a GREAT PREMISE: CATCHING SERIAL KILLERS! How is that not suspenseful?!! Also, their connections to profile him are based on actual behavioral science, not just whimsy, crystal ball predictions. If you don’t believe in behavioral science, then this show definitely isn’t for you, cause everything done in this show seems VERY genuine.

• rubytu says:

sorry, it’s not that easy to profile a serial killer, and certainly, a failure often would be more the case, and I think that it would be more sympathetic than always being right. I mean really!
            If you want to watch the same show every week, have at it. I don’t find it suspenseful at all. It’s become merely routine.
            Bright spots: MGG and Kirsten Vangness and Nicholas Brendan, when he’s on.

• Justin says:

Nothing comes easy to them in any episode. They failed against the Reaper twice, and also failed to save a boy suffering from split personalities. So, they’re not always right!

• rubytu says:

thanks for pointing that out.

11. L says:

ill prob watch whitney tonite. then gotta watch my criminal minds!! i miss revenge tho….

12. Vannesa says:

One Tree Hill, Bent, Criminal Minds & Republic Of Doyle ;) :D

NO NEW REVENGE!!! :'(

13. Brandy says:

OTH, Top Model

14. CBS Viewer says:

Me and my wife is gunna watch CBS all night! Thems is gots some real good crime storyplots on the shows tonight! We loves watchin the crime stories cuz we can understand them and our brains dun’t hurt trying to remember stuff from last week. CBS done has the best shows on the tee vee box and after a long day of drivin my forklift at walmart I is glad i doesn’t have to think when i get home. Thanks CBS!

15. NielsenSucks says:

I would watch Bent for Amanda Peet and the cute guy in the photo but I will wait a few weeks to see what the ratings are like. I am tired of getting attached to a new show only to have Nielsen families not watch them so they get canceled.

16. Lisa says:

Happy Endings, Criminal Minds, CSI. I might check out Bent based on review above

17. a. says:

kind of OT, but Amanda Peet looks more like Lake Bell on the picture above..

18. rubytu says:

Psych is my favorite show, maybe tied with a few others, but definitely the top of my top ten list, which may contain more than ten shows. It’s so vastly amusing and infinitely rewatchable. I don’t know how many times I’ve rewatched the entire series. I can barely watch episodes of most shows even twice.
    Psych – juvenile, witty, intelligent!

• maniac_maniac19 says:

I agree. Its one of my top five and I love it. I don’t know how many times I have been through the series either.

19. Maybe Bent or Happy Endings, depending on what I’m doing tonight.

20. kevin says:

NBC definitely has its worst lineup on Wednesdays with Whitney, Chelsea and the new sitcom Bent with smokin’ hot Amanda Peet and Jeffrey Tambor. HEY NOW!

21. Justin says:

I’ll be watching Criminal Minds, Psych and Happy Endings tonight. I’ll wait on Bent to see if it lasts for the season.

22. jesse says:

I’ll check out Bent.
    Also, will watch CSI tonight; I’ve heard there may be a Grissom sighting. :)

23. G says:

Another busy night.

Survivor
    Criminal Minds
    CSI
    Modern Family (if new)
    Happy Endings
    South Park

24. kevin says:

Everybody wants to know, when will Revenge be back for new episodes to wrap up the season? Matt, we better have the answers to your prayers.

25. Carmichael says:

Like others I was planning on passing on Bent (I’m looking at you David Walton) but based on the recommendation and the rest of the cast, I’ll give it a shot.

26. julie says:

One Tree Hill. So incredibly exited and I know I’m going to cry! Been watching since the very beginning.

27. CJ says:

Bent was SO good! Thanks for the heads up Matt! The characters on this show already have ten times the depth of any character on “Are You There, Chelsea?” or quite a few other shows I could name. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to next week’s episode.

28. Charlie says:

NOOOO!!! You caved! I really thought you were going to keep the layout how YOU wanted it.

Looking forward to OTH. I know whats going to happen and I dont want it to happen but its still going to be such an amazing episode!