The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

On TV this Wednesday: One Tree Hill uncorks your waterworks, a new NBC comedy invites you to get Bent, CSI is touched by an Angel and more. Here are eight programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm One Tree Hill (The CW) | When the search for Nathan becomes increasingly dangerous, Dan’s life hangs in the balance. TVLine’s Meg Masters gives tonight’s episode “10 Kleenexes (out of 10) if you’re a longtime fan of the series, 8 if you joined post-time jump… and zero if you’re as heartless as Dan Scott once was.”

8 pm American Idol (Fox) | The Top 10 perform. Unless, that is, they find a way to bring back Jermaine and kick him off a third time.

American Idol Top 10 Theme Is Billy Joel: We’ve Got Suggestions for Every Contestant!

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | As the BAU searches for a kidnapper of young boys, Morgan, reaching into his own scarred past, tries to bond with one found child.

9 pm Bent (NBC) | I wasn’t expecting much when I popped the pilot for this new comedy into my DVD player on a flight to L.A., but next thing I knew I had merrily plowed through four episodes. Charming, addictive, well-cast and at times very funny, it stars Amanda Peet (Studio 60) as a recently divorced mom and David Walton (Perfect Couples) is the charming cad of a contractor hired to fix up her house. Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development), Jesse Plemons (Friday Night Lights) and J.B. Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm) co-star. Modern Family is in repeat mode for three weeks, so definitely worth a look. (A second episode follows at 9:30.)

9:30 pm Happy Endings (ABC) | When Dave is bullied at the gym (by guest star Bobby Moynihan of Saturday Night Live), former bully Alex coaches him on how to fight back; advice from Penny results in an all-new, suddenly chill Jane.

CBS Renews 18 Shows for Next Season, Fate of Two CSI Series Left Up In the Air

10 pm CSI (CBS) | The team is called in to investigate a robbery-homicide at an “Alice In Wonderland”-themed wedding (watch a sneak peek); when Hodges’ mother (played by Charlie’s Angels alum Jaclyn Smith) comes to town, he tries to pass Morgan off as his girlfriend.

10 pm Psych (USA Network) | When the founder of an at-risk youth program is shot, Shawn, Gus and a few members of Gus’ college a cappella group investigate to find the culprit. Mekhi Phifer (Lie to Me) and Jaleel White (Dancing With the Urkel!) guest-star.

10 pm Rock Center With Brian Williams (NBC) | What, just the name of this newsmag almost made you zzzz? What if I told you to watch for a segment on AMC’s returning Mad Men? That’s right, pretty people alert!

Tags:

Comments (48)

• I wasn’t expecting much from Bent either, which is why I was gonna skip it, but after reading your review I might check it out. Thanks! :)

Comment by Lauren Rife – March 21, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I’m not a big Amanda Peet fan, but since Matt liked this show, I’ll check it out.

Comment by Lorie – March 21, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent sounds a bit like that Sela Ward, Billy Campbell series – Once and Again. I liked that show and I love Amanda Peet so I will give it a chance!

Comment by Trista – March 21, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wtf.. it does not sound like Once and Again at all??? It sounds more like lots Who’s the boss or any of a dozen other sitcoms that follow the same theme.

Comment by Eli – March 21, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wondered how they were going to turn a play about homosexuals in a Nazi concentration camp into a sitcom, then it turned out to be unrelated (except for borrowing the title). With a cast like that, it’s bound to be better than a lot of the quickie sitcoms that pop up in the late season most years. I don’t get the double-pumping of episodes for 3 weeks, though. It’s like they don’t want it to succeed.

Comment by CJ – March 21, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds. . . Morgan, Morgan, Morgan.

Comment by Sherri – March 21, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mmmmmmm :) love me some morgan lol

Comment by L – March 21, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any Morgan-centered ep of CM is bound to be good. Remember how good Profiler, Profiled was??

Comment by Kristen – March 21, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a looooong time ago—back when CM actually WAS good. It’s been boring for several years now.

Comment by uh huh – March 21, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong Answer! The only time that Criminal Minds WASN’T good was season six, when Prentiss and JJ left, then came back. Every other season has been great.

Comment by Justin – March 21, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent sounds good – I will watch hope it’s worth and a fresh brise!

Comment by Ted – March 21, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent Sounds good I will watch hope it’s worth and a fresh brise.

Comment by Ted – March 21, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Jesse Plemons. His Landry was brilliant on FNL so I have to check Bent out.

Comment by Renee – March 21, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PLUS, Walton’s character’s last name is RIGGINS, and it’s shouted out a lot, so… confusing!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 21, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was James Lafferty ever in an episode of one tree hill in this season if he has been missing?

Comment by TheLonelyPlace – March 21, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE TREE HILL!!!! I am freaking out… I will have my Kleenex handy :)
    James has been in most episodes… he might have missed 3 or 4… They are showing him while missing.

Comment by Heather – March 21, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI for sure. (Jaclyn!)

I tend to only watch Criminial Minds when it is Reid centric which isn’t near often enough for me! I understand Matthew directed NEXT weeks episode, so I’ll be there.

Comment by kirads09 – March 21, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That kinda of dumb don’t you think?

Comment by Michael – March 21, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not really. I am a huge Matthew Gray Gubler fan, more than a fan of the series itself. Everyone has their own viewing tastes and habits which is what keeps it interesting.

Comment by kirads09 – March 21, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well that kinda of mean and selfish

Comment by Michael – March 21, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am also a Matthew Gray Gubler fan, the only reason to watch this show, imho. It tends to be the same show week after week, bad guy is killing (women, men, boys, girls, dogs) and they make ridiculous connections to profile him and find him (you expect us to believe this?) and catch him before the last victim is killed, I imagine that is supposed to be suspenseful, but when you see the same show week after week, you know how it’s going to turn out. Am I right?

Comment by rubytu – March 21, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Um, that’s the idea behind a procedural, that it is the same show week after week. What makes the show great is the show’s premise, and CM has a GREAT PREMISE: CATCHING SERIAL KILLERS! How is that not suspenseful?!! Also, their connections to profile him are based on actual behavioral science, not just whimsy, crystal ball predictions. If you don’t believe in behavioral science, then this show definitely isn’t for you, cause everything done in this show seems VERY genuine.

Comment by Justin – March 21, 2012 10:26 AM PDT
          • sorry, it’s not that easy to profile a serial killer, and certainly, a failure often would be more the case, and I think that it would be more sympathetic than always being right. I mean really!
            If you want to watch the same show every week, have at it. I don’t find it suspenseful at all. It’s become merely routine.
            Bright spots: MGG and Kirsten Vangness and Nicholas Brendan, when he’s on.

Comment by rubytu – March 21, 2012 05:37 PM PDT
          • Nothing comes easy to them in any episode. They failed against the Reaper twice, and also failed to save a boy suffering from split personalities. So, they’re not always right!

Comment by Justin – March 21, 2012 11:50 PM PDT
          • thanks for pointing that out.

Comment by rubytu – March 22, 2012 02:26 PM PDT
  • ill prob watch whitney tonite. then gotta watch my criminal minds!! i miss revenge tho….

Comment by L – March 21, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill, Bent, Criminal Minds & Republic Of Doyle ;) :D

NO NEW REVENGE!!! :’(

Comment by Vannesa – March 21, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH, Top Model

Comment by Brandy – March 21, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me and my wife is gunna watch CBS all night! Thems is gots some real good crime storyplots on the shows tonight! We loves watchin the crime stories cuz we can understand them and our brains dun’t hurt trying to remember stuff from last week. CBS done has the best shows on the tee vee box and after a long day of drivin my forklift at walmart I is glad i doesn’t have to think when i get home. Thanks CBS!

Comment by CBS Viewer – March 21, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *claps* That’s bloody brilliant! I bow to your performance sir.

Comment by Carmichael – March 21, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch Bent for Amanda Peet and the cute guy in the photo but I will wait a few weeks to see what the ratings are like. I am tired of getting attached to a new show only to have Nielsen families not watch them so they get canceled.

Comment by NielsenSucks – March 21, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings, Criminal Minds, CSI. I might check out Bent based on review above

Comment by Lisa – March 21, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kind of OT, but Amanda Peet looks more like Lake Bell on the picture above..

Comment by a. – March 21, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psych is my favorite show, maybe tied with a few others, but definitely the top of my top ten list, which may contain more than ten shows. It’s so vastly amusing and infinitely rewatchable. I don’t know how many times I’ve rewatched the entire series. I can barely watch episodes of most shows even twice.
    Psych – juvenile, witty, intelligent!

Comment by rubytu – March 21, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Its one of my top five and I love it. I don’t know how many times I have been through the series either.

Comment by maniac_maniac19 – March 21, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Bent or Happy Endings, depending on what I’m doing tonight.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 21, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC definitely has its worst lineup on Wednesdays with Whitney, Chelsea and the new sitcom Bent with smokin’ hot Amanda Peet and Jeffrey Tambor. HEY NOW!

Comment by kevin – March 21, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching Criminal Minds, Psych and Happy Endings tonight. I’ll wait on Bent to see if it lasts for the season.

Comment by Justin – March 21, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check out Bent.
    Also, will watch CSI tonight; I’ve heard there may be a Grissom sighting. :)

Comment by jesse – March 21, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? Is it just via Skype again or might we see him in person?
      Yay! :)

Comment by kirads09 – March 21, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another busy night.

Survivor
    Criminal Minds
    CSI
    Modern Family (if new)
    Happy Endings
    South Park

Comment by G – March 21, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody wants to know, when will Revenge be back for new episodes to wrap up the season? Matt, we better have the answers to your prayers.

Comment by kevin – March 21, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like others I was planning on passing on Bent (I’m looking at you David Walton) but based on the recommendation and the rest of the cast, I’ll give it a shot.

Comment by Carmichael – March 21, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill. So incredibly exited and I know I’m going to cry! Been watching since the very beginning.

Comment by julie – March 21, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent was SO good! Thanks for the heads up Matt! The characters on this show already have ten times the depth of any character on “Are You There, Chelsea?” or quite a few other shows I could name. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to next week’s episode.

Comment by CJ – March 21, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO!!! You caved! I really thought you were going to keep the layout how YOU wanted it.

Looking forward to OTH. I know whats going to happen and I dont want it to happen but its still going to be such an amazing episode!

Comment by Charlie – March 22, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post