Pilots: Killer Drama Adds Lost Alum, Office Boss to Kaling Comedy, Jack Coleman Plays Doctor

Maggie Grace Jack ColemanLost alumna Maggie Grace has joined Kevin Williamson’s Fox drama pilot in a recurring role.

Also among the latest pilot castings: A Heroes favorite scrubs in, a Notorious sudser finds its lead and Mindy Kaling books some very special guests.

Williamson’s untitled project revolves around a serial killer (played by James Purefoy) who uses technology to create a cult of murderers, and the retired FBI profiler (Kevin Bacon) who hunts him. Grace will play the only surviving victim of Purefoy’s mad man, EW.com reports.

The pilot’s cast also includes Natalie Zea (Justified) and Jeananne Goossen (CSI: NY).

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

In other pilot casting news, from our sister site Deadline:

• Jack Coleman (Heroes, The Vampire Diaries) will play the chief of staff to Mamie Gummer’s new doc in The CW’s medical drama First Cut.

• Meagan Good (Californication) has snagged the lead role in NBC’s soapy drama Notorious, playing a detective who goes undercover as the daughter of a rich family’s housekeeper in order to solve the murder of their daughter and her closest friend.

And per EW.com:

• Mindy Kaling has tapped Office cast mate Ed Helms, SNL‘s Bill Hader and the ever-busy Richard Schiff to guest-star on the untitled comedy she’s penning and headlining. They’ll play, respectively, a potential love interest, and ex-boyfriend and an OB/GYN who works alongside Kaling’s character.

Which pilot castings have your interest piqued?

1. k. says:

Mindy Kaling has a pilot in development. Ed Helms is going to recur. Rainn Wilson has a spin-off…and you still think The Office is a sure thing to get renewed?

• Superhero says:

Given the state NBC is in? They’ll get you and me to star in it if that’s what it takes to keep the show going.

• k. says:

Fair point.

• Jason says:

The Minds at NBC are so dense, they can’t even recognize the absolute comedy GOLD they have in “Bent,” starring the amazing Amanda Peet, David Walton and Jeffrey Tambor. They stick in on back-to-back opposite Modern Family for three weeks. A fair sample or a waste of time?

Geez, the two episodes I watched last night were funnier than ANY episode of The Office I’ve seen in many, many moons. True dat.

2. Jack Coleman as a doctor? Oh dear Goddess…I think I’m drooling already…

3. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Jack Coleman! Awesome. He makes every show he’s on 100% better.

4. April-ann says:

Actually all of these pique my interest. Thanks Vlada, each one of your articles is worth five Ask Ausiellos. Kevin Bacon and Natalie Zea? I’m in. Notorious — that plot? I’m in. Jack Coleman and Mamie Gummer? I’m in for the most part, but would rather see Mamie not playing a doc this time ’round. Mindy Kaling and Ed Helms? I’m so in.

5. Polly says:

Wow. Notorious sounds A LOT like Veronica Mars.

6. dref22 says:

Jack Coleman! I’m so happy! is a good enough reason to watch an infomercial.

7. annabelle says:

Looking forward to Mindy’s show…does this mean she is no longer going to be on The Office? A Dwight spin-off will not fly, sorry Rainn’s great on The Office but doubt a Shrute Farms centered show will bomb for sure! I say make the next season The Office’s last, but can you please get back to the roots of season 2 & 3 when that show was absolutely the best!!??!!!

8. I like your thoughts. Very insightful. I’ll be keeping my eye out for more from you.

9. Tarc says:

Mamie Gummer? Worst name for an actress ever. I have no idea why she didn’t change that.

10. Ben Kabak says: