Idology: Shannon Magrane on 'Pageant' Dresses, Hip-Hop Music and J.Lo's Tough Critiques

She might have gotten a somewhat serious edit during her American Idol run, but in a lot of ways, Shannon Magrane is a typically goofy 16-year-old girl.

Season 11’s eleventh-place finisher dropped by Idology HQ to discuss her love of classic soul music, her choice of an obscure Kathy Troccoli ballad for the semifinal rounds, and the horror she felt when she forgot the lyrics to Blu Cantrell’s “Hit ‘Em Up Style (Oops!)” during her group performance during Hollywood Week. Plus, Shannon talks about her Flo Rida connection, her decision to scale Mt. Mariah, and Jennifer Lopez’s use of “Sweet Baby.” Press play below for the full Q&A, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Man, I like this Shannon a lot. It’s not that I didn’t like the Shannon we saw, but as Michael said we didn’t see much of Shannon’s personality. Did she have the worst performance last week? No, but she wasn’t long for the competition, other people’s voices were/are more developed and ready. But I like her and she seems like she has her head on straight.

2. brandon says:

Michael, you showed great restraint in this interview. :)

She seems like a sweet girl, and still reminds me of a young, blond Katharine McPhee. I just wish she would’ve waited 5 or 6 years to audition. (And can these kids stop whining about there being no good songs from the mid-90s?!)

3. Well, I didn’t like her when she got eliminated. But she actually seems really sweet. She should have mentioned the whole thing about singing One Sweet Day with her grandfather – that would have gotten her a lot of votes. Either way, I think we have a great top ten. :)

4. Joe says:

Meh. She’s definitely got a future at ESPN as a sideline reporter/anchor babe if she wants it. Her vocals were always just pushing too hard and I’m stunned she continued with the “one bad note” comment again about Whitney night. Slezak can’t call her out on that in these interviews so I don’t blame him for being polite. Her Mom also seems to sing along to all her songs when they show her while Shannon is performing. That always creeps me out a bit when I see that with contestants since it makes me wonder who really pushed the child up on that stage so young. She’s a sweet girl and she got further than I think she should have. If they were putting her through for singing soul numbers there were better singers in the Las Vegas round. I think she got a ton of mileage off Steven’s inappropriate remark with her Dad in the room and they just ran with it while they could.

5. ohreli says:

I think she will do well…just needs a little “seasoning.” For her age, she is remarkable.

6. shelbybb says:

I don’t know…she seemed a little immature for what she was attempting to do on Idol. She should have waited a few years for sure! (lesson for you teens!) I still think Idol got this one right.

7. blingedup says:

Michael, you do a great job in these post-Idol interviews. I look forward to all of them this season!

• Mark says:

The TVLine comments need a “Like” button, so we can just upvote simply put sentiments like yours rather than having to reply to say the same thing.

But since we can’t, Michael’s been doing this for a while now, it’s always great, and it really adds a lot for us fans of the show — and TVLine.

Oh, and Shannon was delightful. Good for her.

8. Meghan says:

Nice interview, Slezak! Although I’m not sure Shannon understood where you were going with the “Sweet Baby” reference being something that foreshadows doom.

9. Gorm says:

“Only that one note!” Wtf? Girl is sweet but crazy. The whole performance was awful. Dozens of notes got slaughtered that night. but still, “Just one note!” How nice it would be to be young and delusional again.

10. Love her personality, she seems way more fun than I gave her credit for. Still glad she’s gone though, haha.

11. BobN says:

MIchael – You always do such a great job with these interviews and are able to get the contestants to open up and show us the real side of them that usually isn’t shown on the show. Thanks

12. Whitney says:

Shannon is awesome!! Wish she was still on Idol!

13. Loni says:

My thirteen year old neice loves her. And that pretty much sums it up. Wish her the best though. She seriously should look into doing pageants, I bet she’d be good at them.

14. Ben says:

I’m not sure which is more worrisome, that she still thinks she only messed up one note or that she’s convinced the judges give really helpful, constructive advice….

15. James says:

8:47 is weaksauce Slezak…Come on man these all should be 10 mins +!

16. sara says:

Aw she’s cute. Now I’m sorry for hating on her earlier in the season…

17. Tahoe Mike says:

I’d forgotten about her singing Etta James at the audition, and how cool I’d thought it was. I am sorry that she got so far away from that during the live shows. She does seem like a cool 16 year old kid. I wish that Idol did as good a job of showing us who these people are as Michael does in these interviews.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree completely. Shannon seems like a delightful girl and Mr. Slezak does a marvelous job on these interviews. I’ll never forget how Scotty complimented him last year on asking different questions – Scotty also said he really enjoyed the interview.
      I wish Shannon well. Nice kid – I”m sure she’ll do fine.

18. TV says:

She did an amazing job! So poised and controlled. Funny, ambitious, sweet, and loves life. I believe she is going to go very far in this industry.

19. Rick says:

People don’t understand that a 16 year old is not even close to being fully vocally developed. This girl has an amazing voice and will be awesome in a few years.

20. uptown girl says:

sweet, friendly, and confident, but sheltered, naive, and clueless. it may take her time to “grow up” because youthful confidence can sometimes keep you from seeing your own flaws. but i have full confidence that she is going to have a happy & fulfilled life. she can easily become a local celebrity – newsanchor or program host.