American Idol's Top 10 Tackle Billy Joel: Who Were Your Favorites? (Take Our Poll!)

erika van pelt makeoverTonight’s American Idol kicked off with a memorial service for Shannon Magrane’s singing career. (Fret not, Idoloonie Nation, the contestant herself is alive and well; I know, since I interviewed her this past Monday!)

Interestingly enough, that maudlin intro seemed to have a positive effect on the Season 11 Top 10, with at least half of the evening’s contestants giving arguably their best performances to date while covering the songs of Billy Joel.

In other news, Erika dyed her hair Jett black (is it possible she watches Idology?). Phillip deliberately ignored every bit of advice he received from style guru Tommy Hilfiger and guest mentor Diddy (in the most charming possible way). And Heejun got accused of “taking the piss out of” Joel’s “My Life” (way to earn your paycheck, Steven Tyler!).

I’ll be back Thursday morning with a detailed episode recap, but until then, here’s my pithy take on the night’s performances:

Tonight’s Set List
DeAndre Brackensick: “Only the Good Die Young”
A song about a guy trying to take a girl’s virginity delivered with all the sexual menace of a kitten in a field of poppies. The kid is in serious, serious trouble this week.

Erika Van Pelt: “New York State of Mind”
She can’t make the judges love her, nor could she get them to praise her relaxed, gorgeous performance — not without adding a bunch of nonsense disclaimers. (Side note: Girlfriend looked hot as a Dallas sidewalk in July!)

Joshua Ledet: “She’s Got a Way”
Police have put out an APB for the song’s melody, but no luck yet. This wasn’t the right song for Joshua’s voice — or for a fussy Gospel choir, either.

Skylar Laine: “Shameless”
The opening verse was pitched too low for her — Skylar admitted that much herself — but she still slayed it on the chorus, and she’d better be safe come Thursday night.

Elise Testone: “Vienna”
Moments like these, I wish iTunes still offered the Idols’ weekly live performances in addition to the studio versions. I’d put this alongside Joshua’s Percy Sledge cover (and, of course, Skylar’s “Stay With Me”) as my Season 11 favorite.

Phillip Phillips: “Movin’ Out”
I really missed the “heart-a-tack-ack-ack-ack” business, but putting that detail aside, this was a makeover worthy of David Bromstad — even if it was mostly done in shades of gray.

Hollie Cavanagh: “Honesty”
There’s something about Hollie that’s impossibly sweet and likeable, and her voice is T.Rex big, but if she chooses another grand ballad next week, she’d better mark her calendar for a date with the bottom three.

Heejun Han: “My Life”
Not funny enough to work as a fully realized comedic performance, and not in tune enough to work as actual musical entertainment. But you know he’ll probably survive results night at the expense of DeAndre or Erika, and that’s a low down dirty shame.

Jessica Sanchez: “Everybody Has a Dream”
Rafter-shaking vibrato and pitch perfection: Hallelujah, I believed her!

Colton Dixon: “Piano Man”
Loved the stipped-down vibe and his choice of notes, too, but is it crazy that I felt like some of the song’s wistfulness got lost in translation?

Okay, enough yammering from me — for now. Do come back to TVLine on Thursday for my full episode recap, but for now take our poll and tell us which three contestants were your favorites tonight. Then hit the comments and explain your votes!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jessica/Elise were the best, while Hollie was right after them, and Heejun was at the bottom.

• So many missed opportunities tonight ,
      Philip & Elise both have great ability and both ended in failure because they did not edit out the tricks.
      Skylar got close to being good but she keeps singing every song the same so by the end every song sounds the same.
      Hollie got even closer but I think she was killed by her nerves which resulted in a ruined vocal.
      In the end the only singer that did any of their songs justice was Colton who not only made “Piano Man” his own but at the same time allowed the audience in to see his soul.
      For me Colton is the Tim Tebow of American Idol , he comes off as a young man that is genuine, hard working and with a take on life that any parent would be proud of.
      So yes , number # 1 , Colton and again for me the only singer that really connected to what his song was about and at the same time let the audience connect with him.

• Tarc says:

Phillip’s cover was great, but Colton’s was superior. Elise was next down the list, and the rest were forgettable. And I’m sorry, but Heejun’s… whatever that was should get him booted. Total trainwreck.

• tewence says:

not trying to be rude, but did you hear elise? incredible performance. colton actually has ‘fake’ written all over him.

• I did listen to Elise and she has a good voice , but like I said she used to many vocal tricks that it became distracting.
          As for Colton , well I get your wanting your favorite protected but that kid is actually genuine,

• dane says:

I kind of agree.. but there is something inherently unlikeable about both girls. I mean – I don’t know either of them and they are probably the nicest girls ever.. but something about the way they project themselves or .. I don’t know.. doesn’t give me the “I have to vote for them!” vibe. You can flame away, but it is clear that the contest has evolved into something more than just a singing talent show – so I do go with that ‘something extra’ when I consider my vote. Even though Hollie and Colton were not as technically good … they got my votes tonight.

2. Jessica Sanchez was just unbelievable tonight. Elise and Erika(lookin stylish) I hope broke through. Phillip did too much with a song that’s relatively simple. I think Joshua, Colton and Hollie stumbled. Deandre was boring. But Heejun was ridiculous. Good job to Steven Tyler who said that Heejun should take the business serious if he wants to be in it. His vocals were horrible tonight. If J.Lo said they were only bad because he was running around, well then maybe he shouldn’t be running around. Tonight was a big risk by him and it failed. I give him credit for trying to be different, but you have to be different and be good, you can’t be different and suck at the same time. I think Bottom 3 is Heejun, Deandre, and Hollie, with Heejun going home. That’s the hope.

• DL says:

Colton stumbled? My goodness, what broadcast were you watching? He had a real star moment, in my opinion. My top three picks for the night were Colton, Jessica, and Phillip. Elise and Erika were definitely fourth and fifth though.

• I agree , Colton was in fact the only singer that let the audience see his emotional connection to the song and still perform it well.
        Hollie , I think also connected but the vocal got lost in her emotions.

• jw says:

I think the song left the audience with a connection to the song. Its one of those melodies that drills into your head, you can’t get it out no matter what you do. Colton did a lot of good stuff with it, but there were some minor flaws. He messed up the words at the beginning. And his la de de das were’nt right…this is a waltz but he didn’t use that flow. In the end, he sang one verse and the chorus four times…with passion. Not terribly creative or difficult…but much of his style was great.

• Kenru says:

Hey, I’m 100% in agreement with these 5. Considering how far out of the Idol demographic I am, maybe that’s trouble.

• tewence says:

of course colton and phillip can do no wrong, right? colton is affected. period. phillip sounds like karaoke night every time.

• davey says:

Well Colton’s lighting and Red Yamaha were sure fancy.

• Tarc says:

Ah, I’m not with you. As others have posted, I didn’t believe a word that Jessica sang. Again. Phillip and Colton killed it and made the songs their own. elise was great for a second week. I’m in total agreement with your bottom, though, and that’s what really matters.

• idolmama says:

I really enjoyed Colton’s and Phillip’s and Elise’sperformances. I was so happy to see some of the singers make the songs their own. I felt that Colton had a real idol moment and that it was killing the judges to have to praise him. They were so intent on making sure darling Jessica was the stand out. Yes her and Hollie have great big voices but they never seem to do anything special to the songs. I just didn’t connect with the lyrics or feel that they even understood them.They just seem to sing the songs as written. I am really getting bored with big diva ballads. I’d like to see them perform with some artistry like Colton, Phillip, Elise and Erica did tonight. Phillip’s phrasing brought new meaning to they lyrics and I understood the song in a new way. I even began to like the song which is surprising because I always hated it. Colton really took a big risk singing one of Billy Joel’s most iconic songs. Yet he didn’t sing it as written but made it his own. He brought new sensitivity to the song and a sadness that showed the pain the song is about. Erica really came into her own tonight. Her performance and appearance were a great improvement. I hope we don’t see her in the bottom three. PLEEESE get rid of Heejun. That performance was embarressing to watch as well as disrespectful to the show and the audience. I was really insulted by it. Deandre has a nice voice but that bouncy cutesy rendition showed he just doesn’t understand the lyrics. Final opinion…Too many of the contestants are oversinging the songs. They don’t need to belt out every song. Ease up. Not every performance needs to be a diva ballad.

• tewence says:

i’ll admit, i am a little confused as to how people can listen to phillip’s uncomfortable growl and think he killed it? his voice isn’t typical, so he automatically is looked at as original. same goes for colton. i actually consider them to be the least genuine.

• Opinionated says:

What I think is comical is that the judges kept getting on Casey last season for growling and taking too much of the melody out of a couple of performances…. Um yeah – they approve Phillip doing it? Scratching my head on that week after week…. Comparing him to Dave Matthews I can see as far as tone to some degree but outside of that he could take a few melody lesson from DM.

• Thiago says:

Just a quick Steven anecdote: One of the first performances in the then new Kansas Coliseum, circa 1997 I believe, Aerosmith was so wasted they were barely able to take the stage. After attempting about four songs, they were able to crawl away. So, I have to cringe just a little when he critiques a performer’s resolve or attitude.

• Tarc says:

Considering that Aerosmith is one of the greatest (and long running) rock bands on the planet, I’d say he’s eminently qualified to speak to resolve and attitude. If you expect perfect from people, you’ll always be sorely disappointed.

• darcy's evil twin says:

The Kansas Coliseum? North of Wichita near Park City? Been There!

• Opinionated says:

The resilient thing is that when they sobered up the came back very strong with a collaboration with RUN DMC (never done before on that scale) and have been rocking every sense. Unless you’ve followed Aerosmith over the years, I wouldn’t be too critical. Steven is a good judge and isn’t being nearly as honest as he could be.

3. RodMod says:

Forgive me, but I thought that Heejun was AWESOME/RIDICULOUS in the most entertaining way!

• Brigette says:

• Shana says:

I appreciate the effort and that he didn’t do a ballad. But it fell flat.

• RodMod says:

Shh….but, I think it was INTENTIONAL. IMO, Heejun’s intention all along was just to make the tour. He sang emotional ballad week after week and kept us (most of us) amused with his witty sound bites, undoubtedly in order to win over the votes. And now, alas, he has made the tour and so he’s decided to have a little fun…..”ALLEGEDLY”!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

And of all the gin joints in all the world, he had to walk into this one to be funny? Too bad “America’s Top Comic” isn’t still on.

• RodMod says:

If Heejun leaves, he’ll definitely leave with a bang!

My Top 3 of the Night:
            1. Elise
            2. Colton
            3. Jessica

• darcy's evil twin says:

the next “bang” you hear will either be (a) the screen door hitting Heejun on the backside, or (b) me doing an Elvis on the TV if Erika or Elise are voted off.

• Look, I don’t want Heejun to win this thing, I really don’t, okay? That having been said, I know it’s not “America’s Top Comic,” but let’s be real, it’s not “America’s Top Singer” either. They’re not looking for “The Voice,” they’re looking for a superstar, and I would argue that while this is without a doubt THE most talented top 10 Idol has ever seen, VERY few of the contenders currently have the charisma to be the next Kelly Clarkson. And love him or hate him, you’ve got to admit that Heejun has charisma for days. That does count for something! And it’s not like the guy has a terrible voice either, I mean, whether or not you love his airy, balladeery style you can’t say that kid can’t sing.

I’m going to be as pissed as anyone when he makes it past Erika (yeah, I said when) and then probably a good few other more deserving folks, but as we enter what is now sure to be several weeks of Heejun-hating by the judges and everyone else in the world, let’s not forget that unlike Sanjaya and all those other train-wrecks from seasons past, Heejun is actually a funny, charming kid that can sing.

• darcy's evil twin says:

It’s a little too early to say whether or not any of the contestants has the charisma to be the next Kelly Clarkson, and I just don’t find Heejun the least bit entertaining. I’m glad other people do, though. I don’t dislike him, I wish him well – someplace else. And I’m sure you’re right – Erika will go home first and I’ll be angry, but what’s new? the people that are voting have been listening to that Rhianna and Katy Perry crap and don’t know what good singing is anyway.

• Templar says:

Last night it dawned on me that Heejun is mocking the show, the process and the viewers. This seems to all be a frat boy prank to him.

• Delainey81 says:

I totally agree that Heejun was thoroughly entertaining and I didn’t feel like he was super unserious. I think Tommy Hilfiger is all wrong for this show. Maybe Heejun needs to be more polite and professional, but he still has a good voice and fun personality. That is what gets fans!

• Ana Muti says:

I’ve been a vocal supporter of HJ from the beginning, but he blew it this week. He needs more experience and a good vocal coach.
      I got the feeling he wasn’t even trying this week, and I think the judges sensed that, especially if you look at Steven’s body language.
      I think HJ’s gone as far as he should go for now, and work on his vocals until the tour.

• Tarc says:

Total horiffic trainwreck. He should have had to pay me for those 90 seconds of my life he’s ruined. So. Very. Bad.

• Cheryl says:

Heejun was NOT funny and his performance from beginning (mentoring) to end was disrespectful and downright embarrassing. So glad Tyler called him out. I think Heejun was a little surprised when his attempt at making some kind of point went over like a lead balloon. GOODBYE, Heejun!

• Danny says:

The worst was tommy hillfinger. At least Heejun we only had to see once. We had to see that other clown before every performance.

4. Elena says:

Why do you always give Colton a compliment with a “but” attached, Slezak? I thought he was amazing and his voice matched that song perfectly. Anyway, I also like Elise, Jessica, and Phil this week. Not sure who’s going home but Deandre is probably in trouble since he went first with a not so great song. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

• Steelers36 says:

I totally agree and it was my exact thought during and after the performance. “Piano Man” is an iconic American classic and certainly the most identifiable song of Billy Joel’s, almost bar none. However, the song is long and it is all about the lyrics and the story that is told. How do you do this song justice in the space of 90 – 100+ seconds? It’s impossible. All we got was the first verse followed by a double dose of la-da-da’s and the chorus. It was just not enough. Plus, I thought singing it that high lost the angst and wistfulness of the song.

As soon as I saw the setup, my mind was triggered that I had seen this same thing not too long ago. Where was it and who was it. That staging was pretty much an exact copy of Josh Krajcik’s final performance on X-Factor (at least I think it was the final one). Anyway, check it out.

So that’s what i have to say about that. I always have liked “Piano Man” and I was sad to see it done such an injustice – it needed more time or at least another verse.

• Steelers36 says:

I meant I agreed with Michael and not so much you. Yes, Colton was okay, but I just think the song was not given its respect as Diddy said more than once tonight.

• Emily says:

I agree with Elena and i think Colton did an amazing job! the song has a nice build to the climax and he had a great cover of a song that’s been done many times before. He has a great storytelling ability when he sings and that’s what helps me connect with him and his music.

• Trish says:

Guess you didn’t hear Diddy say he would buy that record of Colton singing Piano Man? Colton more than did that justice!!!!

• Emma says:

Exactly what I thought. Piano, shooting spot lights and smoke. Blatant remake.

• TheBeach says:

I agree with Steelers. I love Piano Man and it tells a haunting story. Shortening it to fit the required time frame did it no justice. And while Colton never seems to miss a note, what was with that weird little chirp he kept doing? Very distracting.

• Mel says:

I thought Colton’s stripped down version actually made the song more haunting, not less. I love Billy Joel, but Piano Man has never been my favorite – it’s iconic but overplayed. So I was worried when Colton chose it. I thought it was too obvious. But he made me feel that song, and love it. (I got “goosies,” too, but I’ve never called them that.) The condensed timeframe was not an issue for me at all. I’ll definitely buy the record. And yeah, I’ve noticed the “chirp.” I love Colton to pieces but I think he might want to be a little more judicious with it. And Colton, if you’re reading this, please perform “Kiss Me Slowly” by Parachute. It’s a good song, but you’d make it a great song.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I just realized something. I’ve been so focused on waiting for Randy to come up with a new catchphrase, something to follow “In it to win it” from last year, that I didn’t even notice J. Lo slip one right under my nose. ‘Goosies’ is happening, whether we like it or not.

• C says:

I wouldn’t call it something as charming as a “chirp”. It’s a “yelp” and it’s VERY annoying. He should lose it immediately

• Tarc says:

The song suffered on the show because they make them cut the studio version to 90 seconds, and frankly, you just can’t cut piano man. The progressions just show the chops. I really like Colton’s take on the song, but I kept wincing at each cut, thinking I’d need to check out the studio version. Phillip fared a bit better with the arrangement, but he and Colton (who easily had the best emotional connection) just stole the night.

• McFudge says:

I think Phillip has never met a melody he wants to actually sing. He doesn’t do the overwrought runs around a melody that the big-voiced belters like to do, but he dances around the meat of the song way too much just the same.

5. darcy's evil twin says:

I had an appointment that got moved to tonight – don’t these people realize American Idol is on? Looking forward to reading the comments here before I watch the DVR.
    I cannot believe Deandre sang “Only the Good Die Young”. Oh dear.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

It was pretty dire. Goodbye, Kenny Jesus.

• darcy's evil twin says:

You know, I didn’t think it was that bad. Someone else here said they didn’t think Deandre had a clue what he was singing about and I agree. It had a little bit too much of a “pop” interpretation. Okay, heck – he gave it the Partridge Family Treatment. I just think Deandre needs a bit more guidance. I do think he’s talented.
        “Kenny Jesus”. That’s funny. I still think he’s the love child of Art Garfunkel.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

All credit to Melinda Doolittle for that one.
          And yeah, “dire” is probably overstating it. I found it pretty dull, and the fact that he went first didn’t help.
          Also, and I swear this is the last time I’m going to mention it (probably…), I think Deandre would have been PERFECT for River of Dreams. I was disappointed when he didn’t do it (we talk, ya know), and I was really disappointed when no one did it. I love that song.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m going to agree with you – “River of Dreams” would have been a far better choice for Deandre. I’d forgotten Melinda was the one that came up with “Kenny Jesus”.

• Zach says:

OMG, he would have been brilliant on River of Dreams. WTF is with him and song choice? Not choosing the right ballads, not choosing the right uptempo songs. This is where you have to hand it to someone like Haley or even Lauren Alaina. You have to perform a song that lives up to your potential. In DeAndre’s case, I know he is capable of so much more, but that’s not likely to get people to save him!! :(

• @Miscellaneopolan

Believe me, she’s far from boring. I can think of a couple of people who are more boring than her, performance-wise. And during the night, it was just disappointing and even Erika and Elise didn’t do much for me. And Joshua, Phillip and Skylar, weren’t feeling them.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And yet, Joseph Padilla, you seem to be on the Jessica bandwagon. Are you really her father? Brother? come clean, please.
            Jessica is very, very good. But I am not feeling a thing when she sings. Not to say that I won’t – there are still a few laps left in this horse race. (Putting on flame-retardant suit) – She simply reminds me of those girls my nieces watch on the Disney channel. They’re singing “Don’t You Forget About Me” quite well (and my niece was stunned I knew every word) but it’s clear they aren’t connected with the song.

• ali427 says:

I wanted him to do Innocent Man–could have shown off both levels of his voice.

• TheBeach says:

Hey Darcy, you and I usually agree on just about everything but I gotta say I thought Deandre committed the cardinal sin tonight…he was boring. When Billy Joel sang that song it was “cool”. But I’ll bet we both agree Elise and Erika were pretty fab tonight.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Elise and Erika were amazing and I’m really finding it hard to not get too fond of them because I don’t think they’re going to be around for much longer. Heejun will probably outlast both of them.
            yea, Deandre was boring. You’re right. I’ve said this before but I think my bar is a little lower since Season 9. If someone actually sings in the correct key(s) for the entire performance I say, “okay, that wasn’t so bad”.
            Hollie was boring as well, which is too bad. She’s got a lovely voice but she was off-key tonight and she needs to show she’s not so one-dimensional.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m hoping America surprises us and puts at least one of these girls, Erica or Elise, through to the top 5. Elise especially is looking more and more like she really deserves it.
            I also wish for an early exit for Hollie, for peace to come to the middle east, and for me to stumble upon a hidden trove of buried pirate treasure on my way to work tomorrow.

• Hey Miscellaneopolan, what’s your beef with Hollie? Et tu, Darcy’s evil twin? How ridick!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t have a beef with Hollie. I love her tone. but tonight she hit some bad notes, she somehow managed to turn a song that’s not a big ballad into a big ballad, and she needs to do something a little different and uptempo.

@Joseph Pedilla:
            Simply put, I think Hollie is boring. Consistently so. I don’t think she’s a bad singer. She hits the glory notes like a champ, but for four weeks in a row now she’s just stood there and sung a ballad without injecting much feeling into the songs. When I think of ways to describe Hollie’s performances, I think of words like “nice,” “pretty,” and “pleasant.” There’s nothing wrong with any of those things, but they’re not what I want out of an American Idol. I want to be excited and I want to be surprised, and Hollie isn’t doing either of those things for me.

• @Miscellaneopolan

If you get bored by Hollie, I think you’re as cold and dead as a limp eel.

• Tarc says:

I’d like to say otherwide (very much, In fact), but Hollie’s bored me too weeks in a row now. I *know* she can do it, and I’m rooting for her, but it’s not happening right now.

• Angela says:

LMAO at “Kenny Jesus”! Perfect description.

• Jen says:

DeAndre was terrible. Elise did a great job but it is SOOO OBVIOUS the PTB are trying so hard to get America to like her and vote for her. I’m surprised you didn’t point that out, Michael. The judges over-gushed and bringing her crying music students on stage was so transparent. She is really good singer and it is unfair that she is being judged by her supposed “bad attitude” but that’s the way the cookie crumbles in these things. America wants a cheerful and humble Idol.

• McFudge says:

And even after the mentors attempted to explain that the song is about a boy trying to convince a good Catholic girl to hop in the sack with him, he didn’t seem to get it.

6. Lauri says:

I hope you’re wrong and DeAndre is not in trouble this week. The kid is too talented to go home.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I agree with you in principle, but apart from his Stevie Wonder performance the kid just hasn’t given many big moments to us. I was SOOOO hoping he would do River of Dreams, which would have been perfect, but there we are. Heejun may deserve to go home, but he was at least entertaining so I don’t see it happening. I can see Deandre or Erika getting the boot this week, and in Deandre’s case I feel it’s almost earned. Maybe he should have waited another year.

• Elena says:

“RIver of Dreams” would have been perfect for DeAndre. “For The Longest Time” might have worked too. I’ve noticed with DeAndre that when he’s singing a song that he can get behind, that’s where he truly shines. He has the ability to light up a stage and a nice voice to boot (not to mention those looks). However, I’ve also noticed that when he sings a song he doesn’t know well or doesn’t care for, then he doesn’t sell it and these contestants need to sell whatever they’re singing and make us believe it. I also don’t think he knows how to play the Idol game strategically. Still, just the thought of someone like Heejun taking anyone’s spot tomorrow night makes me want to throw something at my TV. He’s a nice guy. He’s funny, but he’s so singer, imo.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Yes! The Longest Time would have been awesome. Deandre clearly doesn’t have the sex appeal to pull off something like Only the Good Die Young (not yet, anyway; watch out for this guy when he gets into his 20s), but I think he would have slid very easily into the wholesome vibe from The Longest Time, and it would have spotlighted his clear-as-a-bell voice.

• Zach says:

You’re right he hasn’t had many wow moments…except THIS WOMAN’S WORK. Everyone seems to forget, but that for me is the performance of the season. Better than anything Jessica has done (and she’s up there, of course), better than Joshua last week, and better than Elise, Colton, or Phillip this week. So soulful and beautiful. How come ever since then he’s sounded like a scared little virgin?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Oh, yeah, This Woman’s Work was pretty kick-ass. I don’t know if I’d call it the performance of the Season, but it definitely got me excited about his abilities… and then disappointed when he didn’t meet them.
          Thanks a LOT, This Woman’s Work.

• Tarc says:

It’s going to be all about the song selection and adaptation for Deandre. Unfortunately, So far, he’s not shown strong skills in either.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Remember when he was about to do “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” for Songs from Year You Were Born? Gah…

• tewence says:

i thought he slayed “georgia on my mind” as well

• Tess says:

It is possible that River of Dreams wasn’t on the song list…and given that Deandre noted that he isn’t overly familiar with Billy Joel’s song catalog, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was suggested to him and he went with it because he couldn’t think of anything better. Sometimes on this show, lack of musical knowledge is worse than lack of talent. I think he has more potential than the rest of the guys to be honest, but they are wasting it by not mentoring him properly to make sure he is making the best song picks.

Heejun was actually entertaining in a so bad it’s good kind of way. I actually would be surprised if he is in trouble tomorrow because I think there are a lot of people who still love him and he was the only excitement in a boring night so the show still kind of needs him.

I think there is a possibility that Joshua winds up in the bottom also…early show spot and a bad rendition of a popular song that went all over the place when it didn’t need to could equal a trip to the stools of doom.

I loved Elise tonight but I still fear for her since she’s been a bottom dwelller even though she hasn’t really deserved to be…and they put her in the top 10 death spot so she could still be in trouble. Erika’s haircut made me think she looked like a butch Gina Glocksen…add to that too many runs in a song that doesn’t need them (no Randy, just because you can doesn’t mean you should!)and it results in a probable bottom 3. I Would bet though that if either of them are in trouble that the save will be used – it has to be anyway to keep them on schedule now so I’d bet it will be reserved for the next girl that is “at risk”.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I figure the mentors are there to steer the contestants in the right direction when they don’t know the songs. Jimmy Iovine had to know that Only the Good Die Young was a bit too mature for Deandre, but it doesn’t seem like it had an effect. As for certain songs not being on the list: is that how it works? When they do a “Billy Joel” or “Elton John” night, do they not have access to the entire catalog? Does anybody know?
          I mean, if Vienna was on there I have to imagine that River of Dreams was too.
          I gotta admit, I kind of enjoyed Heejun’s performance even though I knew it was a technical train wreck. At least he put on a show…

• Shana says:

I agree that DeAndre has talent.. why isn’t he showing it?
      He gave his best moment in Vegas. I feel like he doesn’t have the producer pimpage that a lot of the others do. Jimmy hasn’t helped him either…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Maybe they haven’t quite figured out what to do with him. I do like Deandre. I think the inconsistency may be due to age and inexperience and I’m starting to think he should have waited a couple of years to try out again. I think I’d like to hear him sing Smokey Robinson’s “Ooo Baby Baby”.

• Tarc says:

I think that you’re right. He’s got such a Maxwell vibe, but also a bit of the islands. It’s just hard to find great songs for his voice (like This Woman’s Work), and the Idol selection pool is TINY. He’d do far better when they can write material for his voice and style instead of him forcing covers. He’s just a little too laid back and not sophisticated enough to find and adapt some of these pop songs and standards to fit him.

7. rod says:

Colton, Jessica, Elise and Hollie in that order

8. Justin says:

i love my hollie but it wasn’t her night. jessica killed it. you can really tell colton is musically talented. erika looked and sounded great. joshua overdid it.

9. Christina says:

Surprisingly a pretty good night with not the worlds most exciting songbook. I predict a bottom three of Deandre, Erica, and Joshua. If Elise is there that’s just wrong after the performance she had tonight.

And was Tommy Hilfiger’s segments ever a waste of space. Absolutely useless, with the exception of getting Erica to change her hair.

10. TVAddict says:

That run Elise did at the end was the coolest five seconds in the history of AI.

11. donie says:

Heejun had hands down worst vocal, but was quite entertaining.

Can do without ever watching another Hilfiger style segment.

12. Bob L. says:

Phil Phillips is the most over-rated contestant in years. Very unpleasant to listen to and to look at. He basically spoke the first half of that song and screeched the second half. Just God-awful stuff. Erika was the star of the night. Absolutely beautiful.

• Elena says:

Thank you. I thought it was just me since everyone raves on and on about P2. He has this way of delivering a song that seems angry and menacing (“Yeah, I’m moving out and I’m gonna kill your dog while I’m at it.”) I don’t know … every song seems the same to me. I just don’t get the praise heaped on this guy. He IS cute. I’ll grant him that.

And I agree with you on Erika. She’s my absolute fave female singer.

• Bob L. says:

Right, PP is indeed a good-looking guy. When I said he was unpleasant to look at, I meant when he is singing. He makes such ugly faces.

• Tarc says:

Yes, but then again, how great are the faces that Bruce Springstein makes (I could name dozens off the top of my head, including Dave Matthews)? Phillip’s fantastic – he’s already recording ready.

• Frankly, he can do a whole lot better than he is.

• Tarc says:

Everybody refines along the way, but he musically and vocally, he’s most of the way there. I’ll contrast that to Jessica, who inarguably has the best voice, but might as well be a robot for all the emotional connection she manages. She’s pretty, makes nice song-faces, she’s stylish, and she can *blow*. But can I imagine that she’ll ever sell records? Not really. Power ballads are completely out of style, and she’s not got much diversity. Phillip, however, you know what you are going to get and he’s already there. (I’d also argue that Colton is pretty close to not needing Idol either.)

• @Tarc

Most of the way where? This guy’s rather boring. And if you say that he’s relevant, tell me how Kris and Lee fared post-Idol.

• Jason S. says:

I agree I thinkPhilip has a jack White kind of old school blues to his style! And that really hip right now in alternative rock/indie rock. Just the fact that Phililps is amazing on guitar and most likely writes his own songs gives him a huge edge up post Idol. Of course one might argue that he made a mistake coming on Idol because indie rock fans might not take him serious now and he probably could have gotten a record deal without Idol. I’d love to see a Colton Phillip duet(like the Haley/Casey duet last year). they could do a Raconteurs song. Hell Phillip and Colton could form a band together

• Tarc says:

Most of the way to being a stand alone artist. And considering the voting 9and I dunno common sense), the kid is not boring – in fact is quite popular, topping most of the polls here on this site. You confuse reality with your personal opinion. When you have the top producer in the biz saying that he’d hire the guy tonight, you really can’t say that you know what you’re taking about. jason S did a nice job of explaining, so I’ll skip that. And what does Kris (yuck) and Lee (great) have to do with Phillip? Totally different people, totally different genres. I really have zero idea what Kris is doing (I can’t stand the guy), but Lee’s pre-Idol album, Slumberland, is incredible. Since I have not heard his new one yet, I can’t address your comment with any knowledge.

• Cup of Joe says:

Last time I checked, wasn’t Kris and Lee both WGWG (same as Phil) and wasn’t at least one of them dropped by their label? Just saying.

• Mel says:

Thank both of you. And I thought it was just me, too. But here’s the thing – I like the guy. He seems genuine. I like that in his rehearsal, he thought that singing to those girls was pointless. I like that he wants to make music. And he has a great smile, and clearly he has talent. He just growls a lot, and in each song he chooses, he seems to hover around the same five notes.

• jsnj says:

100% agree. Good-looking for sure, appealing personality, very easy to like, but limited vocally. It would be interesting to see him sing an entire song without a growl and attempt more than those ever so few notes.

• C says:

I agree. Phil is so over-rated! He’s usually the type of contestant I root for, but I never got him and why he gets so much praise.

• And that is because Phillip does not want to evolve. Philip wants to perform the same way he did before Idol which means he is going to reject the growth that is available by doing AI.
      This is the same problem most Idols have because they fail to get that it is okay to perform like you are in the garage if you just want to have fun, BUT ,
      If you want an audience to connect to what you are singing then you need to take it to the next level and include performance elements that allow the listener have an emotional response.
      Vocal tricks, dancers, pyro, naked bodies, etc etc can only take most singers so far. There are exceptions but how many Nicki Minaj do we really need.

• Tarc says:

You really have no idea whether Phillip wants to evolve, and some would argue (like Iovine saying that he’d hire Phillips on the spot if the didn;t make the Top 13), he’s not in need of much ‘evolving’ – and touring would accomplish that. Personally, he’s the only of the lot that I’d buy a record of (and possibly Colton if he was doing alt or nu80’s).

• Tarc says:

And I’d agree with Stephen Tyler and Jimmy Iovine (who litlerally said on air he’d sign Phil if he didn’t make the Top 13), that he’s got ‘IT’. To me, he’s easily the best contestant on the show, with Colton coming next (depite the irritating religious stuff), then Jessica and Skylar. As far as I’m concerned Phillip’s already won – at least my record purchase – which none of the rest of them will manage.

• Tarc says:

I love Lee DeWyze’s pre-Idol album, Slumberland (which was pop/rock/country/bluegrass), but what does that have do with Phillip (who does indie/alt/blues/rock)? Totally different people, styles, genres… Besides, we all know that sucess in the music industry has more to do with 1) material, and 2) luck than anything. Phillip’s got a great shot if he can get or write decent material, which we know he does instrumentally, but we’ve not heard whether he actually writes his own lyrics.

• Cup of Joe says:

Maybe because Phil is a WGWG just like the other 4 winners? And from what I can see, only half of them have around moderate amount of success post-Idol.

• Tarc says:

WGWG? No idea what that means. The bottom line is that it really doesn’t matter who wins beyond the cash. Most of the top folks are getting some representaiton after, and then it’s all up to 1) good material, 2) a current style, and 3) luck. Lambert is going amazingly well, Kris is… not (something I called from minute one). Lee DeWyze had made a great record (Slumberland) before he even auditioned for Idol, so he it was down to other considerations for success. Kris? Well, I didn’t think he had a prayer, and he’s nothing like either DeWyze or Phillip. And again, personally, I think Phillip has a better shot than either (by a couple orders of magnitude) because he has a sound that we already know has a market (the DMB-like folks), sells plenty of records and has successful tours.

• WGWG = white guy with guitar.

• tewence says:

i 100% agree about phillip and disagree with erika. elise out-shined her by miles.

• Templar says:

Absolutely. He stinks at singing, dresses like a dock worker, has no sense of occasion and seems like a hick with a chip on his shoulder. [The chip indicates wood higher up.]

13. Sam says:

Heejun lasting another week is almost too much to bear. If the world was fair, we’d have an all-male bottom three tomorrow with Joshua (I love him, but it wasn’t his night) getting sent back to safety first and that “comedy” “genius” getting the boot. What a waste of a Top 10 spot.

14. k. says:

I still have a problem with Jessica. She is so, soooooo, good, but I can’t for the life of me connect with her.

Loved Colton, though the weird crack in his voice got distracting. I was also glad that Erika finally seemed relaxed on the stage. Thank God, she is too good to go home.

But the performance of the night for me was Elise (maybe because she sang one of my favorite songs…)

Bottom 3: Joshua (I love you, but sorry), Heejun, and Deandre. I am sadly hoping that Heejun goes home.

• Justin says:

I agree with you about Jessica. She’s a talented vocalist, but her voice isn’t distinctive enough for me to really get behind her (plus I also feel a lack of connection in there somewhere).

• Davey says:

Sorry you can’t connect with Jessica. I think she’s wildly talented. And only 16? In two more years she’s going to be amazing. And she’s a beauty with crooked teeth. So unaffected compared to some others on Idol in the past.

15. James says:

Top 3 tonight?

Middle 3

Hollie – Joshua – Phillip

Bottom 3 tomorrow….

Deandre – Heejun – Skylar…going home it will be Deandre…He should be thankful though that at least hes going on tour…

16. J says:

Elise, Colton, Erika, and Jessica were fantastic tonight. These were the only performances that got my attention and did not make me steer away from my TV.

Heejun also made me not steer away from the TV, but for a completely different reason. LOL.

17. Jewels83 says:

hmmm…interesting episode. I thought everyone except maybe one or two were solid.
    First of all, Heejun. I have to give credit to his stage presence and changing things up this week, the ballads were getting old. yes, he was off musically and i heard some good runs towards the end but it wasn’t THAT bad. I think he takes it seriously, given his reaction to the judge’s comments but the edit that they give me makes it seem like he doesn’t take it seriously.
    Jessica was amazing but Diddy was on point about her conveying emotion, she lacks that. Must be her age and she needs to work on that or mature a little more. The voice just does not match the person. It’s weird.
    Colton was amazing. period.

p.s. props to heejun’s answer about Diddy saying that he doesn’t know who he is or something. got a chuckle out of me.

18. Elise did so much with that song in, what do they have? 90 seconds? She was fantastic. Phillip seemed a little menacing, but I still loved it. I didn’t hear pitchy from Hollie, I heard feeling. And after three weeks and three performances, I still don’t believe a word of what Jessica sings. I’m liking her less as the show progresses, not more.

• TheBeach says:

Agree wholeheartedly about Elise. She did an amazing job and of all the performances, that is the one I would download. I’m hoping the public will start embracing her talent. However, I didn’t care for Hollie tonight. She did miss quite a few notes tonight. Maybe part of it that I find “Honesty” to be a maudlin song and the weakest of Joel’s hits.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And I agree with you there – I also don’t care for “Honesty”. Hollie should have chosen anything else.
        I can’t believe no one sang “You May be Right”.

• TheBeach says:

Yep, P2 should have sung “You May Be Right”. It would have gone perfectly with his facial expressions….”you may be right, I may be crazy, but I just may be the lunatic you’re looking for”:-)

• darcy's evil twin says:

“It’s too late to fight…it’s too late to change me…”
            don’t tell him not to wear three shades of gray. :-)

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I was kinda hoping Skyler would do You May Be Right. I can just see her flailing around on stage looking every bit like the lunatic we’re looking for.
            I thought Phillip chose a pretty appropriate song. I thought his scream might be suited to something like My Life. “I still belong./DON’T GET ME WROOOOOONG!”

• Tarc says:

I agree – Jessica nneds to find some emotional connection stat. And find a style that isn’t power ballad, since they are not commercial right now in the slightest. An album of power ballads will flop in a heartbeat.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I wouldn’t put all the blame on her, though. Remember that she tried (and if you ask me, succeeded) an uptempo salsa number last week and the judges told her to stick to ballads. Don’t listen, Jess.

• Tarc says:

I agree. She needs to pick *anything* that she can convincingly sell. I’d suggest something less technically challenging and something a lot more current and fun. I have zero doubt that Jessica and Hollie CAN be fun and engaging, but they aren’t doing it.

• tewence says:

i actually feel more from jessica than hollie. she has an undeniable confidence that hollie doesn’t exude. hollie is kind of robotic…and when you put jessica and hollie next to each other (who are basically the same emotionally with jessica barely edging her out) jessica wins. her voice trumps hollie’s.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Whether it’s singing, dancing, or arm-wrestling, I’m pretty sure Hollie would lose to Jessica if the two were to go head-to-head.

19. Emily says:

This was the first night I’ve really loved Colton. He’s been ok before, but he never stood out to me until tonight.

Hollie is still my fav but this week wasn’t her best. I really wish she’d try a song that’s a bit more up tempo. The divas like Celine etc didn’t just sing power ballads.

20. Dani C says:

Oh Elise, I love you girl!! And Erika slayed it tonight! Please let these girls be safe!
    And as much as I love Phillip and Hollie, both had pretty abysmal performances-his to screachy and hers to boring…did she not see what happened to Pia?! I’m concerned that Heejun for some reason has the cute boy vote and I’m worried he’s not going anywhere for a while…😞 face

• TheBeach says:

Blame Steven Tyler for telling Hollie to stick to ballads. She’s so young and cute and talented but I’m afraid the Pia curse is gonna get her if she doesn’t kick it up a few notches. I thought Elise and Erika sang great tonight and I want to smack Randy every time he tells Erika to put more runs in her songs…arrrrggggggg !

21. TB says:

I don’t know that I was feeling the show tonight. I was optimistic going into Billy Joel week, but I felt like the onslaught of earnest ballads just weighed the night down, and by the end it was just no fun, no matter how well anyone sang. I think Jessica was best of the night for me. This was the most I’ve liked her since Hollywood week. I thought this was the best Elise has sung in the live rounds, but I was downright outraged at their overpraise of her. To praise a performer on a job well done is one thing, but to give a standing ovation and critiques like “PERFECT” and “NO ONE ELSE COULD SING THAT SONG EVER” to a performance that wasn’t quite at that level is just unfair to the performer, as it puts the audience in the position of having to tone the judge’s comments down, and then likely thinking worse of the performance for it. Do they not remember how that treatment worked with James last year? They already saw this backfire with her last week. Why do they think it will change now? I’m worried Elise will be sent home in the next two or three weeks because the judges’ are mismanaging her critiques and she really doesn’t deserve that, even if she isn’t my favorite.

22. Lo says:

I LOVE ERIKA’S HAIR. that is all.

• Shana says:

It’s definitely an improvement from what she had before but I was annoyed that after she said she was a fan of Pink’s, they decided to change her hair exactly like pink’s. I would have preferred it a little longer, honestly.

23. Oh, and I don’t think DeAndre had a CLUE what that song was about.

24. blingedup says:

Sorry, I can’t really particpate in the chat right now. I must go sit in a dark room, listen to all my Billy Joel tunes, and cleanse.

I’m so sorry that kids who are too young to know Billy Joel’s songs are going to think that tonight was a true representation of his music.

Elise was great, Phillip was mildly interesting, the others made me long for the real sound of Billy Joel.

• idolmama says:

I have to agree about the kids being to young to know Billy Joel’s songs. One of them actually said they had never heard the song they were singing. If these kids want to be a “pop” star you have to know the history of pop music. Yesterday’s classic do influence today’s hits.

• Leila says:

I remember growing up worshiping classic rock bands even though they were at least a generation before mine. Billy Joel still plays a lot on radio stations that at least the PARENTS of those kids should be listening to. My 8-year-old son loves “My Life” and my 5-year-old nephew asks his mom to play “Big Shot” multiple times.

So to me there’s no excuse for those kids to be so unfamiliar with hits from their parents’ (or maybe older siblings’) generation. The lack of musical culture/background is what makes current music so shallow and forgettable.

• Leila says:

So true. The performances left me cold. At least Heejun made me laugh.

25. Miscellaneopolan says:

There’s little question in my mind that Elise was the best of the night. If by some miracle she is voted out, the judges will probably save her after that performance. She connected with the lyrics, she showed off some incredible vocal calisthenics, and she engaged the audience. Just great stuff.
    Oh, Deandre. I had such high hopes for you. Let’s hope the combination of a forgettable performance and the first place slot of doom doesn’t kill your chances completely, cause I’m willing to give you one more chance to impress.
    Erika was very solid, and the jet black hair definitely worked for me. I still wish she would go more uptempo, though.
    So… wait. NO ONE sang Uptown Girl?

• Emily says:

Me thinks that Uptown Girl will be the group song tomorrow night.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thank you Jesus – I was scared to death Heejun would sing ‘Uptown Girl’.

And yes, just heard Elise on the DVR and she was incredible. I cracked up when Jimmy said he was worried about her singing a song no one knew, or something like that. Well heck, everyone knows “YMCA” but that doesn’t mean we need to hear it on American Idol.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I got scared for a second that they were going to change her song and make her do… well, actually, I imagine she could sing any Billy Joel tune pretty well, but Vienna was a perfect fit for her. Glad she stuck to her guns.

• sneakin says:

I lost all respect for Jimmy (not that I had much to start with) when he said he had never heard Vienna. WHAT?! That’s one of my favorite BJ tunes and Elise really did it right.

Heejun should sing YMCA.

26. Justin says:

Enjoyed Elise and Phil the most tonight. I actually liked Hollie’s performance despite what the judges said. Erika had a very solid vocal and a sleek new look. Colton was decent for what he does, but I personally don’t like his nasally straining on the high notes so I’m just not going to like anything he does. Disagree with the judges on Joshua. He did a good job. Heejun was a complete and utter joke that invoked memories of Normund Gentle and Sanjaya. And you’re showing you’re bias when it comes to Skylar, Slezak. That was clearly one of the worst vocals of the night; down there with Heejun and Deandre.

• TheBeach says:

I disagree with you on Joshua. He doesn’t need to “take it to church” on every song.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, he’ll never win Idol doing gospell, and that market isn’t large and highly competitive. If he wants a real music career, he’s going to have to expand into other styles that have a larger market.

• Leila says:

Hollie did a bad impersonation of Celine Dion. I think she should have changed the key or something, her high notes were shrill and the low were barely audible. Wrong song for her…

27. Is it just me or was this episode a bore? Lots of the folks were meh at best. Jessica and Colton topped it for me though, so great for both of ’em.

And seriously, Tommy Hilfiger? If it were John Varvatos, I’d get it, but from a designer whose brand is rather bland for modern musical tastes? Just didn’t do it for me.

That being said, I’m worried about Hollie, since that was a step back from her usual stuff.

• TB says:

Yeah I’m with you. This was the most boring episode of this season. Too many ballads. And let’s face it, Idol needs to do some relevant music. Billy Joel week could have worked for them in Season 2 when Idol had no competitors and when the show was more focused on finding a star with a good voice that a production team could build an album around than finding an “artist”. But now that they are competing with The Voice they need to up the ante and do some CURRENT music.

• TheBeach says:

I totally agree that they need to have at least one night of contemporary songs. If The Voice can get the rights to these songs then I’m sure Idol can too.

• McFudge says:

Absolutely. Much as I love songs I grew up with, it’s time to fast forward. That said, a good melody is a good melody, and taking it and making it current is their job. Billy Joel wrote fantastic melodies that should have been simple to play with.

28. Casey says:

Vienna is my absolute favorite Billy Joel song and Elise Killed it!! Loved it!! Can’t wait to buy it! Best performance of the season so far

29. Brigette says:

Elise blew my mind tonight. I was covered in JLo goosies (that sounds like a disease). I’m seriously terrified for Deandre, and I’m over Phil Phillips changing every song into a melody-less scream…yet, I also love him. I’m so confused! And how sweet was it to see Haley in the audience with her mama and papa? Awww!

• RTW says:

Seeing Haley was the biggest surprise of the night and I’m so excited for tomorrow! I hope a lot of people tune in tomorrow (I thought tonight was a pretty good show so I’m counting on it). I agree with you about Elise…there’s so much potential in her. As for PP (Phil Phillips), if Scotty McCreery and Lee Dewyze had a kid, you’d have PP – a guy that sort of sounds like Lee, plays guitar like Lee, and won’t leave his comfort zone like Scotty by sticking to his roots (in Phil’s case, I will play my guitar in gray attire ’cause that’s who I am). Sounds to me he’ll probably win this thing.

• tewence says:

so you don’t like what phillip does, but you still love him? supposed good looks do not an artist make.

30. Marsaili says:

Jessica usually knocks my socks off but tonight she put me to sleep. My favs of the night–Elise, Phil, Colton and Skylar. Joshua sang the song well, but J-Lo was right, the feeling wasn’t there and the choir was too much. DeAndre—poor, poor kid. Has he ever kissed a girl? Heck, I understood what Billy Joel was singing about when I was 10—DeAndre had no idea what he was singing about—or at the very least, he wasn’t able to convey it. Hollie—bored me tonight. HeeJun–I think if he hadn’t been SO dramatic and stayed on the stage instead of running around he might have sang that song well. I love Erika’s version of New York STate of Mind—I thought it was great! My bottom 3—DeAndre, Joshua and skylar with DeAndre going home—even though it should probably be HeeJun at this point.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

And it’s not like Billy Joel doesn’t have songs that can be sung well by virgins. Someone above suggested The Longest Time. I’ve suggest River of Dreams, many times. C’mon, Deandre: go with what works.
      I’m so glad Erika gave a strong performance tonight; hopefully this will give her some legs.
      Okay, it’s official: Hollie is on Pia’s midnight train to an early finish. I hope. That’s four big damn ballads in a row, now. This song wasn’t even a big damn ballad, but she turned it into one because she’s apparently unwilling to try anything else. The similarities are piling up, people…

31. Jane says:

Elise and Colton. Please sing a Amy Winehouse song next week, Elise! She would rock Valerie or Back to Black.

• RodMod says:

Oh my goodness!! What a dream that would be!! What about “Me and Mr. Jones”????

• darcy's evil twin says:

I love “Me and Mrs. Jones”. Joshua should sing it.

• TheBeach says:

Except no one would believe it:)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I believed his “When a Man Loves a Woman” last week. I can think of all sorts of songs for him to sing – “Midnight Hour”, “Mustang Sally”. and Otis Redding’s “Love Man”. Oh, and while he’s at it – “Shake” by Sam Cooke. Love his voice.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

As a relative newcomer to Idol, I have a question: has anybody ever sung an Amy Winehouse song on this show? I agree that Elise would kill almost any of them (not so sure about Colton), and amen to Joshua doing Me and Mr. Jones. Last year I kept hoping Haley Reinhart would break out You Know I’m No Good, but it never happened.
      They could do a New Queens of Soul theme night! Amy, Adele, and Duffy as far as the eye can see!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Meeeeeee……eeeeeee…….eeeeeeee…….aaaaaaaannnndd….MISSEZ! Missez Johhhhhnezzzz, Missez Johhhhnezzz, Missez Johhhhnezzz….
        Sorry. got carried away. love that song.

• TheBeach says:

Elise would kill Back to Black.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Or Rehab. Or Love is a Losing Game. Oh, Hell, Elise should just join an Amy Winehouse cover band and take my money.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Elise was far and away my favorite tonight… even w/o the run at the end. What sets her apart, for me, is her phrasing. Honestly she’s had me since the first half dozen lines of “One & Only”, but tonight was easily her best of the season.

Erika, Jessica, Phillip & Colton all were really good tonight IMO.

I’d love it if Elise sang either “Back to Black”, “Tears Dry on their Own”, “Stronger Than Me” or “October Song” on AI. Btw, there is a singer named Alyx, who was on The Voice, who does an awesome cover of “Me & Mr. Jones” on Youtube.

32. Sandy says:

I think Colton will have the female vote this year from the crowd reaction. I think he an exceptionally talented young man. I loved his performance tonight. Jessica was fantastic as well as Holly.

33. Evan says:

Joshua’s song was extremely repetitive, but not following the melody? I don’t agree at all.

34. TMO says:

I’m probably in the minority, but I found Jessica to be boring tonight and I thought she was awful last week. I loved Elise and Erika and just felt bad for DeAndre and Heejun.

• Mike says:

You are not alone. While technically sound, Jessica’s performance was just plain boring.

• Roi says:

You are in the minority

• Tarc says:

Not really, raj. Jessica has been technically good, but emotionally empty the last two weeks. While you can appreciate the skill, her songs didn’t move a lot of us (and it was really noticeable because of the quiality of the actual vocal). If you can’t move people, you’re never going to win.

• A lot of who, exactly? Her performance gives me the chills. Trippin’ much?

• Tarc says:

Based on feedback here, lots of people. Obviously. Like in writing. In this thread. Obviously.
          Plenty of people have commented with a similar opinion to mine. I rather like the girl, but she’s not emotionally connecting. Period. And the voters are agreeing.

• alain says:

Hahahaha. Don’t make hasty generalizations Tarc, or you’ll eat them in the end. How can you say voters are agreeing? Jessica is still a great performer – complete package and she will not be in the bottom 3 this week, I tell you that so don’t go on saying the voters are agreeing with you, a minority.

• Tarc says:

There is nothing wrong with generalizations – the entire science of statistics is based on it (not to mention sociology). I can say voters are agreeing from the results, and the comments on multiple sites. I didn’t say she wasn’t good – I said she failed to emotionally connect to the songs the last two perfomces – which is obvious. (And as an aside, you were attempting to chastize me for generalizing, then did the exact same thing in your last sentence. You might want to think about that, bub.)

35. Lindsay says:

Top 3: Colton, Elise, Erika or Phillip
    Bottom 3: HeeJun, Joshua, Deandre
    Top 3 Moments: Phillip (correctly) snubbing all advice, Erika’s awesomely hot hair, HeeJun messing with Hilfiger’s head (I nearly fell off my couch)

Sidenotes: I thought Hollie’s performance was really good (plus she looked drop dead gorgeous) and really didn’t notice the judge’s nitpicks at all. Jessica is vocally outstanding, but I think her age and lack of life experience is starting to get to me – she’s not really grabbing those lyrics. Vocally, HeeJun was the worst (although there were couple of really lovely moments in there), but I still loved his performance. Quality entertainment (wtf with Tyler’s comment. More serious? That’s the only song that he’s sung that wasn’t serious). I want him to stay on my TV in some capacity. That was the first Skylar performance I actually enjoyed so…idek.

36. steph004 says:

What was up with the judges tonight? Steven’s never heard She’s Got a Way? And Randy can’t come up with Garth Brooks for Shameless? Seriously?

37. darcy's evil twin says:

Watching the DVR so I’m a bit delayed. Deandre wasn’t that bad (a little too “pop” for that song) – the boy is young and needs more guidance but OMG. Erika looks and sounds AMAZING! Good for you, Mr. Slezak – I hope she listened to you! If she gets sent home I will slit my wrists!

38. dj says:

I think Deandre may be in trouble. He sang well, but he didn’t put the meaning into the song. There was too much bouncing and hair whipping, and he didn’t sound as though he were really trying to get the girl to sneak out with him. Plus he went first, which makes you forgettable.

39. YowzaPowza says:

Holy effing crow balls. Colton melted me tonight. I seriously didn’t know he had that in him. Elise was also great. Followed by Erika Van Pelt for a close third.

40. Lindsay says:

Did Brad Paisley even do a version of Shameless?

41. Holly says:

Phil’s vocal was extremely aggressive, bordering on threatening. He brought the same menacing performance to a different song. He will not make it to the top 2 or 3 if he keeps doing the same thing every week. What’s more, his refusal to take a little advice from the experts was almost as disturbing as our “expert” panel of judges telling him to keep on doing things the same way. Too bad, he could be a big star.

And Joshua – I love him so much – made a big mistake this week. You cannot give the full gospel treatment to every song, and you certainly should not do it every week. Why don’t the judges tell him that he must show some versatility as a performer or her will soon be gone?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I think the judges are uncomfortable with versatility. They tell Jessica to stick to ballads. They compliment Skyler and Phillip for knowing who they is. They get confused last year when Haley Reinhart switches up her style. It seems very unlikely to me that the judges are ever going to compliment someone for going outside the box; that’s going to be up to the contestants.

42. Idolhead Ed says:

Elise, Erika, and Jessica had what I call a rare triple perfection night. I really can’t remember a night where three people had A+ performances on the same night. Colton and Phillip were good but the girls wollaped them tonight. So really half of the players weren’t playing around tonight. It was great. And props to HeeJunn for the intermission.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Ha! Intermission. Good one. Objectively speaking the performance was pretty terrible, but it did break up the evening nicely, didn’t it?

43. Lea H. says:

I thought Jessica sang spot on. Elise killed it. I liked how Phillip gave ‘ Moving Out’ his own vibe, and I liked Colton’s version of ‘Piano Man’, but I agree with Michael, the performance was great, and I don’t know if it’s because Diddy and Jimmy talked it up, but I just expected Colton’s performance to be more than it was. I like Heejun, he’s very entertaining, but I think it’s his time to go.

44. Rebecca Parker says:

Last week I said whoever sang “Vienna” would be my new favorite. HELLO ELISE! I am now firmly in your corner. Also FU to Jimmy for trying to change her mind.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I literally tried to yell at her through my TV screen… said something like “Don’t listen to him. Nobody else does.” Thank god she heard me.

45. Shana says:

Grey, black, whatever. Phillip’s tendency to wear that green tshirt every results show doesn’t make him any less hot :p He really doesn’t need help in the image department.

• Cup of Joe says:

Maybe so, but when it comes to the singing department, this frat-boy looker can do better. Much better,mind you.

46. Katie says:

Elise was seriously incredible tonight! If she’s in the bottom 3 again this week, I will not be able to control my actions and I might hurt someone!

Oh, and if Erika goes home instead of Heejun or Deandre, see above.

47. PatD says:

I’m a big fan of Elise’s, but I found her vocal gymnastics tonight jarring and disruptive to the song rather than enhancing. She was technically brilliant, and I absolutely loved the first half of the song, but the second half just did not work for me.

Both Hollie and Jessica are beyond gifted, but they are becoming borderline boring. They both need to choose songs with *insane hooks* next week. I really, really hope they do, because both of those girls have gads ad gads of potential star power. I love Jessica’s sense of fashion. She could teach Hollie a lot in that area.

Tommy Hilfiger obviously reads TV Line, and bad on him for not crediting Mike with the Erika makeover (I’m being serious here, no way was that a coincidence). Her performance was sublime, BTW. She just needs more coaching with her stage presence.

Phil-Phil really stepped up his game tonight. His voice is sooooo nice when he’s not forcing it. I wish he’d incorporate that more into his performances. But, still. He was very, very good tonight. I love that he’s all about the music. With him, I believe it’s all authentic and not an act.

Colton won the night, and I have a gut feeling he’s going to win this whole thing. He’s on a directly parallel trajectory to that of David Cook’s outstanding season. It’s almost like deja vu, it’s so similar. I don’t mean their music styles are similar… just their evolution and their journeys. He might steal this thing. I hate the hair and skinny jeans, though. His look seems so dated to me. And not in a retro/vintage-y way.

HeeJun was a train wreck. America better send him home next week. Steven, who usually can’t put a coherent thought together, was right on the money when he told him there comes a point when he needs to get serious about this.

Big kudos to Diddy who gave some of the best mentoring I’ve seen on this show. Either he’s incredibly astute, or he’s been all over the boards, because he was on point with all his criticism… except for Phil-Phil.

I have one big complaint this year: someone needs to teach these kids the difference between stage presence and prancing/lurking/slapping the crowd’s hands, because it’s totally messing with a lot of their vocals. It’s entirely possible to stand in front of a mic and sell a song with instinctive body language and your eyes and head movements. Unless they’re amazingly gifted dancers, body movements should be kept at a minimum and organic to the music. Very few songs are enhanced by all that stalking around the stage. True coaches would have pointed that out to them a long time ago.

• TheBeach says:

I am so glad you said that. I have been thinking for weeks that every time one of them stoops down to glad-hand one of the tweeners in the front row they screw up their vocals. I’m sure all that fan adoration is exciting and new to them but they are doing themselves a disservice.

• That’s a laugh! “Phil stepped up his game.”

More like “This was all the same.”

Really do not get the P2 tongue-bath.

• TheBeach says:

hmmm, that last sentence has me feeling a bit verklempt.

• Tarc says:

Obviously. And you’re missing out.

• Cup of Joe says:

Nothing to miss out really:
          Another WGWG. Just sings within a five-range composition. Performances sounding all the same. (At least vocally, David Cook and Kris Allen didn’t sing within such a limited range.) And yes, his shtick is just leaving me cold. At least Colton attempts to be more exciting.

• Templar says:

I’m waiting to see what happens when they get to Broadway week. I think back to David Cook’s Music of the Night, and wonder what kind of LSD soaked interpretation P2 would put on that song. P2 is a joke.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I would love a Broadway night. Phillips could do Sweet Transvestite from the Rock Horror Picture Show and terrify the entire nation.

48. Selena says:

Order that I liked…
    Heejun…But I kinda enjoyed it too?!?!?

49. Mara says:

Colton was the best tonight. He does need to do something about that blonde streak in his hair though. It’s always so distracting! Also I really, really want to like Colton, but he comes off too serious and unsmiley. Needs more personality.

Hollie is my fav for personality and talent, but that was a terrible, terrible song choice for her. Jessica sang better tonight, but I still do not care for her.
    I like Phil Phillips, but he should have taken the fashion advice. He looked drab and his average looks/voice will not pull him through for much longer if he doesn’t step up the cute. The ‘fashion’ so far has been deeply unexciting, especially for the hype it was given…

• Mara says:

Oh yeah, when Colton brought ‘god’ into things at the end, it made me cringe.
      You don’t need to go the Gokey-Jesus route… You have talent!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

At this point in the competition, a few things are becoming clear. One of those things is that Colton is a talented musician who I’m sure will go far in the business. He had great control over the keys, his vocal was sharp and clear, and he put some personality into the performance. Another one of those things is that Colton, gifted as he may be, is not the kind of musician I will ever like. He made the song far too stereotypically “sensitive”, was over doing the smoulder-eye, and has an off-putting wholesomeness about him that in my opinion is unbecoming of a rocker. I’m sure he’ll make a huge splash on the Christian rock scene, but I won’t be listening to him. Still, he’s a talented guy and he gave a good performance.

• A says:

Colton reminds me of a Jonas Brother, especially with the skinny jeans.

Thank you !

• Mel says:

It’s sad that when someone wants to “bring God into things,” it makes other people cringe. I cringed when Heejun stopped the pianist because I really thought he messed up. Funny that the word “God” evokes a similar reaction among other folks. Colton merely said a word of thanks. That is all.

• McFudge says:

Seriously. It’d be different if I thought he was doing it for show. Ryan asked him what he was thinking before he started his song, and Colton told him. He didn’t bring it up himself. What was he supposed to do? Lie?

• darcy's evil twin says:

It really is rather sad – people tolerate horrible rap lyrics more easily that someone mentioning God. When LL Cool J offered a prayer for Whitney Houston at the Grammys my entire family came off the sofa in shock and disbelief. My brother’s comment was, “Well, it’s good to know black entertainers can still pray on TV and get away with it”. I read later that LL Cool J didn’t clear it with the producers. Thank goodness I haven’t heard a lot of backlash. It was completely appropriate since Houston was raised in the church and her mother was a gospel singer. had one of the conservative white country singers offered the prayer there probably would have been riots and someone would have set fire to the building.

• Umbrella says:

so Darcy…are you really evil?

• Mel says:

Thank you, Darcy’s Evil Twin! You have such a good point about how people tolerate horrible lyrics more readily than they tolerate the mention of God. Katy Perry gets to sing “let’s go all the way tonight, no regrets…let you put your hands on me in my skin tight jeans.” If you happen to have a 12-year-old daughter, as I do, you know how truly cringe-worthy that lyric is. Even more so because it’s such a catchy tune. Anyway, I’ve digressed a bit. Please let’s all just respect Colton’s faith and not accuse him of pandering, because as a committed Christian, he well knows that mentioning God could cost him more votes than it gets him. Which is a shame.

• Leila says:

Colton already said he wants to sing for the Christian market. He’s a waste of talent.