Ratings: Dancing With the Stars, House and The Voice Drop, Castle Rises

Dancing With the Stars‘ season premiere led Monday in total audience — with 18.5 million total viewers — but was down 32 percent in the demo (with a 3.5) from the show’s year-ago opener.

Compared to its most recent fall premiere, however, DWTS was steady in audience and down just 11 percent in the demo. Also, it could be argued that those Dancing fools (Greek goddess Maria excluded) put a chink in The Voice‘s armor, as the NBC singing competition (with 11.8 mil and a 4.5 rating) slipped 9 and 13 percent week-to-week, yet still easily led Monday in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Monday’s other big hit was absorbed by House, which at 5.8 mil/2.0 was down 17 percent.

Elsewhere….

* Of the CBS sitcoms, How I Met Your Mother (8.2 mil/3.4) dipped just a few percentage points, 2 Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.4) lost 10 percent, Two and a Half Men (11.34 mil/3.8) inched up and Mike & Molly (9.83 mil/3.2) packed on 10 percent.

* The penultimate week of Alcatraz (5.1 mil/1.5) gained a tenth in the demo.

* Castle, due in part to a smidgen of DWTS overrun, dominated the 10 o’clock hour with 11.9 million total viewers, while a steady Hawaii Five-0 (9.1 mil/2.5) eked out the demo win. Smash (6.7 mil/2.3) dipped 4 percent.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. JMoFan says:

Ouch House. Looks like it was going to end this season no matter what. It doesn’t have the numbers anymore which makes sense because the quality is god awful.

2. Tt says:

Mondays suck Lately all I have is how I met your mother nothing else is good

• Emily says:

These days, I watch AMC on Sunday, Revenge on Wednesday and Fringe on Friday. Everything else just falls by the wayside. I might pick up Touch and/or Awake on Thursday, but other than that, everything is DVR’d for a month. Mondays need some serious reworking.

3. I watched Mike and Molly and Smash last night.
    Mike and Molly is really funny but if I can’t watch it, I don’t miss it!

Smash is a surprise hit that I can’t seem to get enough of. I first tuned in because of Debra Messing and Katherine McPhee but the story lines are really good although there are some characters that are not going anywhere on the show…some good stuff and there is a song I cannot get out of my head either…lol!

• Hanna rush says:

Smash is really good! Debra is incredible. Glad she is getting rid of Will Chase. Her family is deserving of this.. DWTS very good! William LEVY wow!!

4. Emily says:

Wow. Looking back, Terra Nova ratings creamed Alcatraz’s; what was it, a 2.1 vs. 1.5 for the penultimate? Alcatraz is a goner, smaller budget or not.

• kirads09 says:

I am still not so sure it is a “goner”. Holding out hope for Alcatraz. According to the above they rose a bit in the demo. IMO last night’s episode was fantastic and entertaining.

• Kristen says:

Alcatraz needs to get a move on it…maybe it’s the Revenge in me that wants to see if move so quickly (ie: like Revenge), but it just seems like it’s DRRRAAAGGGIINNNGG

• tripoli says:

Agreed. I really like Alcatraz but they need to pick up the pace. Reveal a little more with each new inmate they find. I don’t care as much about them, but why things are happening the way they are. The return, the blood taking, etc, that’s what I want to know about.

5. Saint Alicia says:

Look at those GLORIOUS House numbers. Obviously they’re going out on a “high note”…

6. alise says:

“Monday’s other big hit was absorbed by House, which at 5.8 mil/2.0 was down 17 percent”
    it’s seems very good for me:) You are zero without Lisa Edelstein, you stupid TPTB! She was golden heart of this show, and you just was letting her go with you dumb plot

7. Kim says:

Castle of course!! The last 5 episodes are going to be amazing!!! Can’t wail!!

8. Just Me says:

Although I love The Voice, I watched DWTS last night. Best DWTS season-opener EVER! Also watched Castle, a Monday night must.

9. Jenn says:

Please remember, half if not all of Texas and some other states had local programming interrupted due to local weather stations covering those awful storms. I know I was watching the voice and finally flipped when the preempted it for continuous coverage of weather. I live in San Antnio.

10. adam says:

my tivo didn’t record house last night…anyone else? in trying to figure it out i read the description of the episode and it said “originally aired 3/18/12″ so it didn’t record because it assumed it was a rerun…kinda pissed cause i’m trying to catch the final episodes…

• ebowers says:

Sorry Adam but,it is obvious that the Tivo was trying to protect you from a truly lame episode. Don’t be mad at it

11. Kate says:

Wow! If Hawaii drops anymore it will in the 8 million viewers world. I don’t remember any CBS drama getting those low numbers, not even on weekend.
    Smash seems to have found the audience. It’s a really good show.
    Loving the dwts cast !!

12. Jules says:

If people’s prefer watching stupid dancing & singing competitions than theirs series (drama&comedies) no wonders the ratings are suffering…

As for House, yes they suffer, but honestly…it’s was enjoyable..and as a fan since day 1, ill be glue in front on my tv until the end, whatever happens…and thoses who blame Edelstein departure for the troubles…well, I don’t think whatever she was in or not would have changed something…
    She doomed herself..when she refuse a simple paycutt and turn her back & did interviews claiming she felt trap in her character for 7 years…bfore the season return back in October -that overshadow the full season…and a lots of her fans quit watching…
    Anyway, if most networks think they can survive with only tv reality..and disrespect theirs series…they gonna lose more viewers or they will go/watch more cables shows at HBO, Showtime, AMC, TNT…..

But, that’s my own opinion…and I’m sorry if I offended some fans of thoses reality shows..

13. People, keep watching Smash! It has to do well enough to be renewed, I love that show :)

14. James says:

Geez NBC can’t you move the voice to tuesdays???? Dancing will always be my choice, along with castle.

15. matt says:

Smash needs to move away from the no talent Katharine M., I think about turning off the tv every time she is on the screen! However, I am loving Angelica H. (one of her best roles in years) & Megan H. is wonderful, plus, Will C. (he can’t be leaving, he is the most intersting male on the show).

I just wish Debra M. would be more involved, I really like her, however, not so much in this role (at least yet).

• HapG says:

Disagree about Katharine. She’s consistently natural in every episode despite the occasional poor writing or directing that sometimes derails other characters. I’m glad Joe Dimagio is gone (possibly) although he was great in the last episode. Now I just hope they find a role for at least one straight character that isn’t a d@#k. I guess the bartender guy is one. But a lead. Anyway, glad to hear the show is doing okay as it’s fairly close to the real life of Broadway.

16. Happy for Castle. Though they shouldn’t keep us at bay anymore and just let Caskett happen…. #justsaying
    I haven’t watched House since last year… but still glad that it’s getting a final set off (because we all know that it would get cancelled anyways…)
    HIMYM… *sighs* I remember how this show used to be about how Ted told the story of how he met his kids’ mother….