First Look: The CW's Green Arrow Pilot Unleashes a 'Darker, Harder-Edged' Superhero

Green Arrow, unmasked!

Looking to generate a little buzz during an extremely crowded pilot season, The CW has unveiled the first image from Arrow, the network’s newest superhero project starring Hung‘s Stephen Amell in the title role.

Described as a modern retelling of the DC Comics’ Green Arrow property, the potential series revolves around former billionaire playboy Oliver Queen who, after being marooned for five years on a remote island, returns with a mysterious agenda and a lethal set of new skills that he uses in a war on crime.

Fans expecting Smallville 2.0 are in for a rude awakening.

“When I directed the pilot for Smallville, I knew that making Clark Kent relatable would be the key to audiences believing in him as a hero,” says Arrow helmer/executive producer David Nutter. “Arrow is a different show — darker and harder-edged — but it’s the same core idea. We’re creating a real, believable world in which Oliver Queen can do incredible things. [Costume designer] Colleen Atwood’s great work on the Arrow costume reflects that effort.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: First Look, News

1. George says:

aaand the first Justin Hartley comment in 3…2…

• Delirious says:

Wasn’t your own comment technically the first one?

• GGMustDie says:

BTW… STOP THEMED NIGHTS… TVD & TSC supernatural pack didn’t work, GG & HoD teen drama pack didn’t work, Nikita & SPN action pack didn’t work. It’s better if they put a light drama at 8pm, and an action show at 9pm. Mainly because it’s boring to watch two serialized dramas in a row for two hours and the same goes with action shows. You need to have a breath after an intense episode.
        That’s why, 90210, HoD, Shelter and even The Selection would fit well with TVD, SPN, Arrow, Nikita, Beauty & the Beast or in worst case scenario: TSC.

2. Michelle says:

Looks good so far! I really hope it gets picked up!

3. Victor Hugo says:

Wow.. i liked!!

4. Johnny says:

Better than frosted tips and neon green.

5. Sam says:

Wait, are the Smallville people making this? Because I’d prefer they stay far, far away.

6. G says:

I like the costume and will watch the show for sure if it gets picked up, but I prefer to see the arms and forearms of the Green Arrow and he pulls back the bow. I think we are being robbed by having them covered up. Just saying.

7. M3rc Nate says:

I loved Smallville, and enjoyed Justin Hartley’s Green Arrow. However i agree this shows feel shouldnt be like Smallville’s. Superman (Clark Kent) has always been one of the lightest, most sunny story lines in Super Hero comics IMO. Not that i think of Green Arrow and think “DARK!!!” like i do with say a Batman story.

Overall im excited for this. I tend to lean towards liking my Super Hero’s dark, made for adults, not made for 7 year olds or teens. Less One Tree Hill, more Nikita in my Comic Book adaptation shows please.

I think personally the key to this show will be how real they make it feel (Smallville felt very real, real school, real farm, great actors, realistic sets), the drama, if they make it a huge “love triangle” or some other “grey anatomy” get girls to watch drama that will kill it for me, and also actors who really bring levity to the parts. Not just running in outfits but truly commit to playing a comic book character.

8. bandanajack says:

much of the visible costume seems to channel the smallville version, but the bow is ridiculous, more appropriate for cupid than arrow, arrows and quiver look equally wrong.

• M3rc Nate says:

What are you looking for in a bow? Thats a Recurve bow…aka THE type of bow to use for basically everything until you go to Compound Bow which i believe Green Arrow used in Smallville.

• SnakPak says:

Explain your comment regarding the bow, arrows & quiver? What exactly is wrong to you?

9. Lulu says:

Maybe someone should have gotten Colleen Atwood involved in resolving the WW costuming fiasco last year.

10. Matt says:

Funny how many Smallville fans I met who refused to give Friday Night Lights a chance.

11. The Kaibosh says:

I still don’t fully understand what is keeping the CW from producing a “Batman” show. Clearly the Green Arrow past and future on the network has been used to serve as a Batman surrogate. In other words it kinda looks like Batman, kinda acts like Batman…but its not Batman.

• Tucker says:

This has been discussed quite a bit online. Basically, WB’s film division is preventing the TV division from producing a live-action TV series so that they can focus all that attention on films. Animation is all anyone will get of Batman on the small screen for the foreseeable future.

• There’s a lot of Batman stuff out there, with all the movies (both live action and animated) and cartoons. I think it’s kind of cool when they take a less-popular character and do something with them. Kind of like Iron Man when the first movie came out.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Plus, as a wise person said above, they CAN’T do a Batman TV show (for the same reasons SMALLVILLE was often handcuffed). So it’s 105% moot.

• The Kaibosh says:

I can’t say I agree. Bringing in secondary characters and developing them is one thing but CW (previously the WB) didn’t do that with Green Arrow. They introduced him into Smallville in order to beef up the Justice League dynamic. But without the “holy trinity” (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) it came off looking cheap because they made him act, talk and look as much as possible like Bruce Wayne/Batman. They did to a much lesser extent the same thing with Wonder Woman by inserting her presence in places they could (Lois dressed as “Amazon Princess” at the comic convention) and by bringing in Supergirl. It comes off as trying too hard to please the viewer where they can. Before Erica Durance came on as Lois they heavily used Lana as the Lois surrogate. Even going so far as to call her Lois in the episode that had Jor-El come to Earth in the 1940s. It’s wanting a Coke and getting Kirkland Cola from Costco. Its the Simpsons Comic Book guy saying “that is a rare photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore”. In the end its lazy writing and lack of creativity.

• Tucker says:

The production staff has explicitly admitted that Green Arrow was their de facto Batman. They were still hoping to get him on the show when they plotted out the 6th season and when the film div. wouldn’t acquiesce, they went with Ollie instead.

The funny thing is if you look at GA’s history, he was a Batman clone to start out with, playing off the Errol Flynn Robin Hood motif. So, to a degree, it was fitting.

As for the Lana/Lois thing, they actually divided Lois’ characteristics between both Lana and Chloe prior to Lois’ arrival on the show. And the woman Jor-El met was named Louise not Lois.

• Well, first off I didn’t watch Smallville. Secondly, I was referring to when they create a medium for a less-popular comic book character all their own, such as in Iron Man getting a movie, and Green Arrow getting his own TV show. Not referring to where they use a less-popular character as a “fill-in” for a more popular character.

12. ed says:

I hope the Cw doesnt kill this show if it gets picked up.. either by putting it on fridays or on after gossip girl or something… This should really headline a night, like tuesday or wednesday.

• My thoughts exactly, though this might actually end up on a Thursday night slot (I kinda have this feeling that it will end up with TVD and Nikita will once again be reunited with Supernatural, but this time on the Friday night schedule).
      Supernatural will most likely enter its final season next year (all sorts of promos will be done à la Smallville but just not as visible as it was for SV like it back when). So depending on how good the show makes Green Arrow could always be the new Friday fun in 2 years (and I write «fun» with some sarcasm intended of course…)

13. markoo says:

We all knew Stephen Amell looks great but that is damn HOT! Really dark and mysterious!

14. Dan says:

This looks a lot better than the Wonder Woman & the cape costumes, so I’m hopeful that this he’ll be a decent show.

15. Vannesa says:

Looking forward to this…I hope it gets picked up.

A darker side of Oliver Queen…CAN’T WAIT!!!

Hopefully it won’t be as disastrous as the attempt of the Wonder Woman or Charlie’s Angels reboots.

16. Jadeisugly says:

lol, well they have already ripped off the Smallville green arrow costume…I wonder if Canary’s costume will be inspired by the leather look on smallville as well.

• Tucker says:

Eh. Even the comics are influenced by Smallville‘s version of the costume now, so that’s really no surprise. This one, though, owes as much, if not more, to the Grell version of GA from the mid-to-late ’80s. Then, it has a dash of its own flavor.

Thankfully, they went with a full-fledged bow instead of something like that crossbow/compound bow/zipline contraption from Smallville.

17. Jason says:

Looks like garbage. I smell another fail on the horizon just like the WW pilot…, plus the show is on the CW so it’s an automatic fail for me.

18. Kyle says:

Oh cool! now i cant wait to see black canary’s costume. I’m really excited to see Green Arrow and Black Canary on a show together, they’re my fav duo from the DCAU. I need some sparring between the two please!

19. Little Scarf Girl says:

I’m really excited for this, and I think the costume looks cool! I hope that it both gets picked up, and gets put on a good night.

20. juli says:

Looks cool. However, they really should have created a television series around another DC character. Two versions of Green Arrow is so unnecessary

• ArcherG says:

ummm This a Batman fan by any chance. So tired of some of you coming here and acting acting all spoil spot. You have ZILLIONS of tv shows, movies, DC is basically Dark knight Comics. Why are you demanding for CW to have made a Bat show instead. For those who arent bat fans. We know how it feels OK, I would want other less popular DC characters to have a show one day. But not this chance, GA has barely got any recognition he deserves or be at the level he can be. He needs something like this, as the DCnU has totally failed him and is dragging him in the mud right now.

BTW I love my Bat bros and sis, just some few annoying greedy people I dont like.

21. Taiilz says:

When, if ever, will this be airing in the uk?

22. Brendan says:

Well… at least this Green Arrow has a goatee.

23. Jonah says:

I’ll never understand why we have to re-live another Green Arrow series after watching his story for five of the last six years. Did the network somehow exhaust every other conceivable comic/action figure? Just doesn’t make sense. That said, I’ll support it, as I do everything The CW does. I like the two lead stars alot.

24. Michael Sacal says:

The image looks great.

25. Rjrtist says:

Arrow in the Hood.

26. TFD says:

Oh boy.

Having flashbacks to the BBC boyband version of Robin Hood with Jonas Armstrong.

27. Mia says:

I’m really pleased with this and I’m glad to see some beard, like Green Arrow actually has. This will be one of my must see shows.

28. Sarah says:

Does this look like a modern day Robin Hood to anyone else?

29. Joanna says:

The costume’s good but reminds me of Robin Hood’s a little.

30. josh says:

I was so hoping A green arrow show would be picked up for a pilot with Justin Hartley…like a spin off from Smallville. hmm but i don’t know…i don’t really feel this. i truly believe smallville’s green arrow looked so much cooler than this. his quiver and bow are so centuries ago.

• Flynn says:

Welcome to the real Green Arrow. Not the technology diluted version of Smallville lol. No , just kidding, besides I like Smallville costume, but this is as close as Green Arrow should look. I think this Arrow looks a little cooler than he did in smalville.

31. ChrisGa says:

I’ll watch this because of some of the actors involved (Susanna Thompson, Katie Cassidy) but still not sure if it’s gonna be the slam dunk it would’ve been with JH as Oliver; I’ve seem Amell in a couple of things and unless he’s improved greatly he possesses about a tenth of the charisma Hartley has.

32. Also just want to put it out there that not everyone watched Smallville or knows/cares what that version of Green Arrow was like. ;) This looks like it has the potential to be good on its own merits. Why would you create the same thing over and over again, anyway? There’s no point in re-doing the Smallville Green Arrow if he were so great on that series in the first place. Leave well enough alone, and do something new.

33. Mikaylah says:

While I am bummed Justin Hartley will not be playing Green Arrow in the new series, I will of course give it a shot. I loved Smallville, and tend to like all the CW genre shows.

34. zee says:

But Green Arrow was always a much more conflicted and angry hero…. A la Batman .. he was a ( as I’ve read that best described the character for me) ” devout Liberal Marxist Communist” — he was a radical and like Batman — was a self made superhero — so it makes sense they would ground the show in a more gritty believable reality.

Plus I loved Smallville like the rest, but it was more than slightly cheesy at times, and a lot more campy… I would have been disappointed if they’d done that to this incarnation….

as well the Robin Hood comparison is intended he was often referred to as the “modern day robin hood” in the comics — this was even more relevant when he lost all his billions in the JLofA comic series.

I hope however they do find a way to introduce other great DC characters like the Green Lantern, as they had a fantastic dynamic in their joint comic books – and I can only hope they bring that level of social consciousness to the show ( However it is The CW, so I won’t hold my breath) of course having the other JL members would be great too – because Arrow was known to the bust ball$ of the Hero’s for not practicing what they preached….

Can’t wait!

35. Mikael says:

I hope Katie Cassidy isn’t just playing Dinah. She better actually be Black Canary too! It doesn’t bode well that they’re nicknaming her “Laurel”. My worry is that they’re concentrating too much on making the show realistic and won’t include Canary at all. In which case, the show will suck.

36. comet04 says:

The original green arrow was actually a more comic relief type of comic book. It did later gain more of an edge but I just really hope that this show doesn’t become to much like the batman series. I did really like Justin Hartley but I’m open to someone new.

37. Debbie says:

I was so looking forward to this when I heard they were making an Arrow pilot as I adored Justin Hartley / Oliver Queen. He brought an extra spark to Smallville and stole the limelight most of the time. I can’t say how disappointed I was to learn Justin wasn’t cast and how disrespectful it was after he made the character his own for so long to cast another actor so soon. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t recast Green Arrow as many other actors have played Superman / Batman etc, but, we didn’t really need it so soon after Smallville and such a great Green Arrow. Justin was perfect for the role so Stephen Amell has alot to live up to and his outfit looks more like Robin Hood

38. Kami Duke says:

I really enjoyed the show! There are only a few shows I watch regularly, but this one will be a must see! I am intrigued and captivated by the mystery and the fighting scenes. Great show so far. I will definitely keep watching.

39. Ada says:

Even though I enjoy the Arrow, I hope CW is not that predictable. I do not see Laurel and Oliver together; that would be a bore. I would like on the other hand to see Felicity and Oliver together, being that she has been the one to help him with his journey. Maybe Oliver just feels guilty for the hurt he has caused to Laurel, that maybe guilt makes him think he is in love… I’m just saying… Better story line.