Walking Dead Casts Treme Actress Danai Gurira as [Spoiler]!

Get More: Casting News, News

If you have yet to watch Sunday’s Walking Dead season finale, avert your eyes. Everyone else, keep reading…

Walking Dead exec producer Robert Kirkman got a jump on Season 3 late Sunday when he broke a major piece of casting news on AMC’s post show chat fest The Talking Dead.

Kirkman announced that Treme actress Danai Gurira has landed the pivotal series regular role Michonne, a character popularized in the Walking Dead comics and whose introduction was teased at the end of Sunday’s Season 2 finale.

Executive producer Gale Anne Hurd recently told TVLine that any actress playing Michonne “certainly has to be believable as a badass who can kick ass with a samurai sword — and on top of that, be at the same level of dramatic acting ability as the rest of our cast.”

Thoughts?!

Comments (20)

• I was rooting for Rutina, but I’ll gladly take Danai instead! I almost don’t want them to put a wig on her so she can rock her natural hair on my TV weekly.

Comment by Misha – March 18, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, since she hasnt been seen I thought she was cast. Never watched Treme tho.

Comment by Gigi – March 18, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was rooting for Rutina if only to ensure that her character on True Blood was well and truly dead for good. Never was a more useless and annoying female character created than Tara. Whose purpose on the show seemed to be, get angry, make poor decisions, get in near-death situation, be rescued, get angry about near-death situation happening to her in the first place, aaaaand repeat. Over and over. I’d have taken Rutina slaying zombies any day.

Comment by Alice – March 18, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add longer hair and she looks just like Michonne from the comics.

Comment by AJ – March 18, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Ausiello! That should’ve been avert not avery your eyes! Lol. Great season finale. Can’t wait for season 3 of The Walking Dead! Ready for Michonne!

Comment by Heelarryous – March 18, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. Just seen this on the talking dead talk show. She is a decent actress. She will kick proper ass.

Comment by G B – March 18, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should be very interesting to say the least

Comment by Lisa Stockstill – March 18, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I loved her on Treme!

Comment by Brittany – March 18, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did anyone hear about season 3 premere

Comment by david – March 18, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danai Gurira is one of the most talented young actresses out there. She is going to be a huge star. She is absolutely the best choice possible for this part and Michonne is guaranteed to become one of the most popular and famous characters in TV history. It’s so cool to watch history being made like this. I am so excited for Season 3.

As for Rutina as Tara, I like Tara but don’t like what the show runners do to her character. Rutina is a great actress though so I hope they find a way to save Tara and make her a vital part of the show again.

Comment by DragoHarley – March 18, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope she has her long hair or dreads thats one of the few things that made her look badass

Comment by unknown – March 18, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who?

Comment by soulcrusher – March 18, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Imdb?

…or were “what”/”when”/”why” and “how” taken?

I’m glad you knew who Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal were, too, otherwise we wouldn’t have the pleasure of seeing such a wordsmith at work here.

As Michonne came across my screen this evening, I found myself wondering if her face was obscured because she hadn’t been cast [at the time]. I’m glad the show found someone they deem worthy.

Comment by Crushin' on soulcrusher – March 18, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first time I have ever heard of this actress, but I must say…she is very striking. Her coloring is gorgeous and her eyes look very expressive. Definite badass potential. I am very excited!

Comment by Dominique – March 19, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I too have never heard of her before this but she fits the bill perfectly.

Comment by fanofthedead – March 19, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent choice. Can’t wait.

Comment by Go4horsey – March 19, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they are going to have the prisoners as well, they should cast Robbie Coltrane for Axel. He kinda looks like him, would be really cool. And Daryl better not be substituted for Tyreese, Daryl is his own character and way more bad ass!

Comment by Nene – March 19, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Robbie Coltrane. He would be a fantastic addition to the cast.

Comment by Dawn – March 19, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s been so long since I’ve seen new episodes of Treme, I can’t recall who her character was on the show. But I loved Treme, and they were always pretty genius with their casting choices, so I trust Walking Dead on casting this actress. Of course, since I don’t read the comics I have no idea who Michonne even is, so I remain pretty open to whatever they’re going to do with the character.

Comment by Amber – March 19, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Half the cast, and maybe more, are Brit or Aussie.
    Sick of Brits and Aussies taking up nearly every new show our industry puts out.
    Rapidly losing interest.