Walking Dead Casts Treme Actress Danai Gurira as [Spoiler]!

If you have yet to watch Sunday’s Walking Dead season finale, avert your eyes. Everyone else, keep reading…

Walking Dead exec producer Robert Kirkman got a jump on Season 3 late Sunday when he broke a major piece of casting news on AMC’s post show chat fest The Talking Dead.

Kirkman announced that Treme actress Danai Gurira has landed the pivotal series regular role Michonne, a character popularized in the Walking Dead comics and whose introduction was teased at the end of Sunday’s Season 2 finale.

Executive producer Gale Anne Hurd recently told TVLine that any actress playing Michonne “certainly has to be believable as a badass who can kick ass with a samurai sword — and on top of that, be at the same level of dramatic acting ability as the rest of our cast.”

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News

1. Misha says:

I was rooting for Rutina, but I’ll gladly take Danai instead! I almost don’t want them to put a wig on her so she can rock her natural hair on my TV weekly.

• Gigi says:

Me too, since she hasnt been seen I thought she was cast. Never watched Treme tho.

• Alice says:

I was rooting for Rutina if only to ensure that her character on True Blood was well and truly dead for good. Never was a more useless and annoying female character created than Tara. Whose purpose on the show seemed to be, get angry, make poor decisions, get in near-death situation, be rescued, get angry about near-death situation happening to her in the first place, aaaaand repeat. Over and over. I’d have taken Rutina slaying zombies any day.

2. AJ says:

Add longer hair and she looks just like Michonne from the comics.

3. Heelarryous says:

Hey Ausiello! That should’ve been avert not avery your eyes! Lol. Great season finale. Can’t wait for season 3 of The Walking Dead! Ready for Michonne!

4. G B says:

So excited. Just seen this on the talking dead talk show. She is a decent actress. She will kick proper ass.

5. Lisa Stockstill says:

Should be very interesting to say the least

6. Brittany says:

Yes! I loved her on Treme!

7. david says:

did anyone hear about season 3 premere

8. DragoHarley says:

Danai Gurira is one of the most talented young actresses out there. She is going to be a huge star. She is absolutely the best choice possible for this part and Michonne is guaranteed to become one of the most popular and famous characters in TV history. It’s so cool to watch history being made like this. I am so excited for Season 3.

As for Rutina as Tara, I like Tara but don’t like what the show runners do to her character. Rutina is a great actress though so I hope they find a way to save Tara and make her a vital part of the show again.

9. unknown says:

i hope she has her long hair or dreads thats one of the few things that made her look badass

10. soulcrusher says:

Who?

• Crushin' on soulcrusher says:

Imdb?

…or were “what”/”when”/”why” and “how” taken?

I’m glad you knew who Andrew Lincoln and Jon Bernthal were, too, otherwise we wouldn’t have the pleasure of seeing such a wordsmith at work here.

As Michonne came across my screen this evening, I found myself wondering if her face was obscured because she hadn’t been cast [at the time]. I’m glad the show found someone they deem worthy.

11. Dominique says:

This is the first time I have ever heard of this actress, but I must say…she is very striking. Her coloring is gorgeous and her eyes look very expressive. Definite badass potential. I am very excited!

12. Go4horsey says:

Excellent choice. Can’t wait.

13. Nene says:

If they are going to have the prisoners as well, they should cast Robbie Coltrane for Axel. He kinda looks like him, would be really cool. And Daryl better not be substituted for Tyreese, Daryl is his own character and way more bad ass!

14. Amber says:

It’s been so long since I’ve seen new episodes of Treme, I can’t recall who her character was on the show. But I loved Treme, and they were always pretty genius with their casting choices, so I trust Walking Dead on casting this actress. Of course, since I don’t read the comics I have no idea who Michonne even is, so I remain pretty open to whatever they’re going to do with the character.

15. Bob says:

Half the cast, and maybe more, are Brit or Aussie.
    Sick of Brits and Aussies taking up nearly every new show our industry puts out.
    Rapidly losing interest.