Ratings: Shark Tank and ABC Newsmags Surge Opposite CBS Hoops; Nikita Steady

ABC made the most of the CBS dramas riding the pine in deference to NCAA basketball coverage, with each piece of its Friday slate netting gains.

Leading off the evening, Shark Tank drew 6.1 million total viewers — the series’ second-largest audience ever — and a 1.7 demo rating, up some 20 percent week-to-week and leading all non-hoops programming on both counts.

Primetime: What Would You Do? (5.6 mil/1.5) followed by surging 39 and 25 percent, and then 20/20 (5.6 mil/1.4) gained 26 percent and a tenth.

Over on The CW, after a few weeks on the bench, Nikita returned to 1.53 million total viewers and a 0.5 rating, exactly matching its most recent tallies, while Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.7) was steady in audience but dipped a tenth in the demo — though 50 percent of the time, I’ll note before someone else does, the show gains that tenth back in the finals.

Will the polarizing Castiel’s return next week boost Supe’s numbers? Was that question but a blatant plug for our new photo gallery?

All told, CBS’ primetime college basketball coverage is poised to eke out a win in total audience (albeit with 40 percent fewer viewers than the usual drama line-up) and easily lead the demos (up 10 percent versus Blue Bloods et al).

1. Michael says:

If the CW cancels Nikita i am so done with the CW and i seen many say the same thing. I even watch Vampire diaries,supernatural and secret circle but if CW cancels Nikita. I am so done with this network!

• Mr. So & So says:

lol that’s ridiculous, plus unless you’re a Neilson viewer boycotting a channel means absolutely nothing to them.

• Erick says:

I dont find that ridiculous at all I support Michael 100% if that’s the way he feels so be it I love Nikita as well and I too am going to do the same as well if they cancel it and I could care less if I am a Nielson viewer the only reason why I watch the cw in the first place is because of Nikita

• Russ says:

I would too! But TVD and TSC and like crack to me.

2. shuayb says:

I agree with you Michael! They must rather cancel every other show except Nikita and HoD. Its so flippin amazing! They must fight to stay on!

3. m says:

Im with you guys, i will no longer watch the cw if they cancel Nikita

4. Sam says:

Um, I at least will keep watching. I mean, I like Nikita, but The Vampire Diaries is one of the top 5 dramas on Tv.

5. stevie says:

supernatural ratings will improve when jared finally cuts his hair.
    he looks so goofy.

6. Mr. So & So says:

I do hope Nikita gets renewed, it’s my favorite CW show(even ahead of smallville which I watched for 10 years)…though the realist in me knows this is most likely the final season. I’m just glad they never dipped in quality to look like the other crap currently on the CW.

7. A.K says:

I know that usually it’s the Big Four that we get the ratings for, but is there any way that we can find out how Fairly Legal and In Plain Sight did? I really want to keep seeing Fairly Legal at least (even if IPS is ending after this season) because I like USA shows!

8. Lambsilencer says:

Well, it seems The CW pretty much knows what numbers it’s going to get for “Nikita” on Fridays. A little over 1.5 Million viewers, with a 0.5 18-49 rating. Those numbers have been pretty steady for weeks now with new episodes.

I think that’s not a bad number for a Friday on The CW. If it’s enough to keep it around will probably be hinging on the quality of their pilots. If they have many good ones they want to launch, it’ll be tough. If not, and The CW can’t build a new Friday, I think we’ll see another season, together with “Supernatural”, or maybe “The Green Arrow”.

9. SEASON 3 says:

CW, please renew NIKITA!

10. ruby says:

Ummm the better keep Nikita and not cancel it! I will not watch the cw if they do. I don’t understand y they still keep gossip girl and 90210 when there ratings are low. Vampire diaries is good and so is Nikita I want a season 3 for Nikita and they better renew it.

11. Dave says:

There is a difference. He watches other shows on the CW and is just going to give them all up over one show. Its actually very childish. Basically your saying if I don’t get my way then I want nothing to do with you. The CW has been more than fair to Nikita. They put it after thier most watched show on the Network it’s first season and it did horribly. They decided to give it a second chance and move it to Fridays and its done worse. It’s not the CW’s fault.

• ratings says:

“The CW has been more than fair to Nikita. They put it after thier most watched show on the Network it’s first season and it did horribly. ”
      Actually, Nikita had a lot of viewers. It did much better airing after The Vampire Diaries than The Secret Circle has been doing airing after The Vampire Diaries.

• Melissa says:

I totally agree, it’s crazy to stop watching shows you actually like just because they cancel one show. If that were the case I don’t think Michael would be watching any TV because every network/cable outlet has cancelled the most awesome programming. It’s like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The bottom line is, if Nikita had been a better show during the first season they would have a much bigger audience now no matter how good it eventually got. Usually if you give a show a try, and give up on it a few episodes in, you just don’t come back.

12. mh says:

The Cw doesn’t deserve a show as good as Nikita. If the ratings are not as high is because the CW doesn’t promote it as much as their precious Vampire Diaries. Nikita deserves better than that, and if it doesn’t get a season 3, that network is just crap. They should look at the quality of this show not the ratings. Cant believe they will keep crap like Gossip Girl and 90210 longer than Nikita. That being said Nikita is one of the best shows that network has, and i will too stop watching that network if they cancel Nikita, it might not make a difference, but thats what i feel. Nikita deserves more seasons. The writers and cast are the best.

13. Susy says:

I agree with most of you- the CW should not cancel Nikita.It is a quality show that deserves more publicity/exposure to gain more viewers. If Nikita is cancelled, I will continue to watch other shows on CW. But I will be upset that they cancel a great show, yet still have junk like GG and 90210 on the air!

14. Gerald says:

I am loving all the Nikita Love. I still have hope that the network will do the right thing. The ratings are not great for any show the CW has on Friday nights, but the international sales and DVD sales for Nikita and Supernatural make them both profitable shows I am sure of it. CW do the right thing.

15. DomWinchester says:

Nikita better not be canceled. It has twists, actions, suspense, cliffhangers. What an awesome drama ! CW should know Nikita’s fan base is very loyal, albeit small. They should also know that most us watch on the internet as Nikita has a lot of fans in Asia and Europe. COME ON CW, DO THE RIGHT THING, BE A MAN AND RENEW NIKITA !

16. Alex says:

LOL, Nikita dropped to a craptastic .4 in the finals! Cancelled, baby! No way should the CW keep a show with such putrid numbers.

17. josh says:

cw is so messed up if they cancel nikita! it’s seriously the best show they got which is not filled with crap like shows such as one tree hill and gossip girl. it fared well in the ratings until they placed it on fridays. wow.

18. Cee says:

KEEP NIKITA. Idc if it’s been years, ever since they cancelled Veronica Mars, that network has been on thin ice w/ me. You can’t keep shows as IDIOTIC as 90210 and Gossip girl, and cancel a fast-paced, well written show like Nikita, it makes NO sense to me!!

19. Alexandra says:

I don´t know how is the real impact of Nikita in Europe. But as european i can say that we don´t have any CW here. In my country Nikita is promoted as the same level as House, Hawaii, Bones, Homeland, by FOX and it has a lot of viewers and fans.

20. Ken says:

21. chuck says:

Listen up Idgits, the television was invented as a marketing tool, not to entertain you. Ratings are not about whether or not you like the show, it’s about advertising and how many ads they can get you idgits to swallow every 30 secs. The show producers count on you being upset and whiny, it shows you are glued to the TV where they can bombard you with all their subliminal advertisement. You’ve been owned by TV since the day you were born. Sure you say this is the last time, but you always go back for more and the networks all know you’ll be back and you know you’ll be back don’tcha mambi pambi.