TV's 21 Most Polarizing Characters: Do You Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

We see the way you talk about them, you know….

There are certain names — belonging to fictional TV characters, mind you — that when highlighted in a TVLine news item or feature story elicit, um, “strong” reactions from their show’s collective fan base.

You love ‘em! Or… you hate ‘em! (And mind you, hate is a strong word.)

So, here now, we pay tribute to the most polarizing, divisive, love-‘em or hate-‘em TV characters now inhabiting primetime. Take a look at our list, then sound off in Comments if you find these folks desirable, or despicable. Awesome, or loathsome. Also feel free to nominate any other fan base rousers!

GET MORE: Commentary, Controversy, Photo Gallery

1. Patricia says:

I love Dan and Castiel!!!

2. jess says:

Daisy Wick – Bones
    uggh.

3. gleek says:

has blaine even treated any character bad besides sam? For santana he sung a song about how perfect she was was. Hes one of the only characters hat hasent made fun of brittany’s intelligence. He makes kurt happy and done so many nice things too him, including standing up to his bully, transferring, and more, Hes flawed, but every character is. besides singing a lot, and santana sings a lot too but ofc no one points that out, he doesnt do much. I like him, i just want to know more about him

• Ann says:

I agree! Blaine is flawed, but he’s a genuinely good and sweet people who likes to give people what they need to feel happy and safe (sometimes he has no idea what he’s doing though haha, and he admits it).

Even with Sam, they were at each other’s throats (Sam pushed him), but later it was obvious that they made up (offscreen sigh oh Glee that’s how you solve all your problems) and were hugging like old friends. And that makes total sense, since he and Sam are both nice guys. :)

I would love to know more about Blaine; very excited to meet his brother! Time for some fleshing out of his character (they’ve given us bits and pieces here and there – Daddy issues, past trauma and a subsequent need for control, desire to help people possibly because no one ever help him, overachiever like Rachel but less militant about it – that suggest a complex, deep character, now they just need to focus on him!)

• Sam says:

“Hes one of the only characters hat hasent made fun of brittany’s intelligence” — maybe because he’s too busy stealing all the solos to have time to insult her. Give him time, I’m sure he’ll make some remark shaming her promiscuity as soon as they let the two have a conversation. And then to make up for his rudeness Santana will randomly apologize to him for being jealous of his perfectness.

• Gleek says:

Clearly because blaine has made so much rude remakes, brittany’s his next victim. Why is it so hard for you to accept blaine isnt a bad guy? And yes a 2minute song takes away all his time per episode to say something rude to brittany, yet her gf who sings in every episode called her gulliable? and made her cheat on her bf because she told her it was okay. I clearly stated blaine isnt perfect.

• Sam says:

Since you’re obviously too dumb to make the connection, I was alluding to when the exact thing you are saying could never happen actually DID happen with Sam and Finn.

• Jeet says:

Nah he was pissed at Finn and annoyed with Sam, so he called Sam a manwhore.

They were both being huge jerks to him.

• Ann says:

Hahaha wow you make no sense.

“There’s no evidence that Blaine judged Brittany for her promiscuity (??? she’s in an exclusive relationship bro), but I’m sure at first opportunity he’ll slut shame her!!!11!1!one!1!”

4. Sarah says:

I hate Dan Humphrey!!!

5. Patricia says:

I love Rick, Deb, Castiel and Dan, the others I really don’t care!

6. MSC says:

Betty Draper annoys the crap out of me on Mad Men! Seriously, something is always up her rear.

I used to watch Gossip Girl but when it became the Dan Humphrey hour it got damn bad.Most boring forced character ever.

7. Percysowner says:

HATE CASTIEL. His storyline has passed his expiration date. When he was in the show he ducked responsibility for EVER bad thing he did. Can’t stand the guy. Misha deserves a show where he can shine, not gobble time trying to fit him into a storyline (the angels) that was over at the end of season five.

8. spnchik27 says:

Castiel..only one I know of on that list and absolutely adore! I’m looking forward to him getting his feathered ass back with the boys! Miss you Cas!

9. F says:

People can’t hate Pierce… If you hate him then you don’t get the point of his character at all.

People can’t hate Blaine. He has no personality. It’s like hating a stone dipped in hair gel.

10. RachelA says:

I’m actually surprised Dave Karofsky from Glee is NOT on here. He’s quite possibly the most polarizing character in any fandom I’ve ever seen. I personally love him, but I know a lot people absolutely despise him and think he’s evil.

I agree that Blaine is also a polarizing character, but I still don’t think he matches Dave Karofsky in that arena.

Also, who the hell doesn’t like Cas from Supernatural? That is just WRONG!

11. anna says:

where’s dave karofsky?

• Sam says:

TVLine likes people to think that everyone loves and adores Dave, which isn’t true. I personally do like him a lot, as I think he’s shown the most growth out of any character on that show, but he certainly has his very vocal haters (and some of them do have their reasons, if they were victims of bullying, so while I disagree with them, I understand why people would hate this character), and I would consider him much, much more polarizing than Blaine, who hasn’t done much of anything yet.

But yeah, this is TVLine, who practically campaign for Dave for be a regular and Kurtofsky to happen. Most of the Glee fandom is very aware of TVLine’s extreme bias.

• Tim says:

He isn’t NEARLY as polarizing as Blaine. lol @ people who don’t think so.

• Sam says:

Dave isn’t on here because he actually has consistent characterization, doesn’t steal solos every other episode, and can actually act. Sorry, but he’s not nearly as hated by the general audience as he is by psychotic klainers.

• gleek says:

Are you nuts? You clearly are, you sound like a butthurt kurtofsky fan. Many people disklie karofsky for being a bully and what hes done to kurt, but its okay when karofsky apolgizes but when its blaine no one forgives him. Dumbass

• Sam says:

Omg a blarren stan calling me a dumbass. That’s rich. Actually no, I’m not a “butthurt kurtofsky fan” because I couldn’t care less if Karofsky never comes back and I don’t want Kurt to get with him either. No one forgives Blaine because he let Kurt come to him FIRST to apologize and THEN let kurt take some of the blame for an incident that was completely, one hundred percent BLAINE’S FAULT. And he never apologized for letting slip the Michael set list, or talking to Sebastian behind Kurt’s back, or slutshaming Sam, or telling Kurt he isn’t attractive. Why should I forgive him when he’s never once given me a reason to?

• elbow says:

LOL no.

12. Alba says:

Blaine Anderson? I’m sorry for the others characters but he is the best character in the world. Si no estais de acuerdo, me da igual! Total ahora mismo no me eestais entendiendo! juuuasss

• hola@hotmail.es says:

Sí!!! Blaine manda!!! Todos los que lo odian no son más que ridículos fans que están molestos por todos los solos y tiempo en pantalla que recibe. Darren Criss no tiene la culpa de ser tan talentoso ni de poseer una magnífica voz.

Que los haters me chupen la pija.

• Ana says:

Vulgar. Writing expletives in Spanish not to be flagged in cowardly, inappropriate and juvenile. What are you, 14?r Lo mismo que escribes en Español puedes escribir en Inglés si tienes el valor…

• Ana says:

Algunos sí entendemos y no estamos de acuerdo con usted. Y usar el lenguaje para esconder su opinion y burlarse de otros es pura cobardia…

• fdasf says:

Esconder opiniones??? Wow, como si no supiéramos que la gente no fuese lo suficientemente curiosa como para usar google traductor.
        Uno puede opinar en chino pero todos usarán el google traductor. Así que esconderse nada.

13. YOU ARE JEALOUSY says:

Reply with “Rainbows” if you love BLAINE ANDERSON.

14. Maria says:

SO HAPPY TO KNOW CAS IS COMING BACK AND THAT HE MIGHT BE IN S8!!!

15. Melanie says:

Cas! I love him, can’t wait for his return, and am fed up with the morons who think you can’t love him AND the Winchester brothers at the same time. He provides what.is needed (help, even humor), and Misha is hilarious and fun as well!

16. Angela says:

Cas is boring and overrated. He serves no purpose on the show except to pander to his fans and became a deus ex machina for Sam and Dean. Don’t know why the Cas hate gets blamed on Wincesters. Cas fans are the ones always hating on Sam out of jealousy because he gets in the way of Dean’N’Cas show. They are deluded that they feel their ship is threatened by Dean’s relationship with his brother? Lol such dirty minds they have.

17. Rachel says:

Pierce, Owen, and Jess I agree with, I don’t really like any of them, but I love Ted and Chris, I didn’t even realize there were people who didn’t like them!

18. Sabrina says:

Alternate Olivia and over here Lincoln Lee, from Fringe.

19. Clare says:

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE CAS AGAIN!

20. Sarah Lynnl says:

I don’t care for Dan either way because I love Chuck more because there is always to much going on with his character which is always growing from the start of the show. Plus I love how Chuck loves Blair and Chuck should have been on here instead of Dan because no one cares for him are his story. Dan only cares about himself where Chuck has been proven to show about everyone around him. Not only that but Blair loves Chuck and Dan just loves himself. Chuck opened his heart to Blair and she is the best thing that ever happened to him. I love how he looks at her and how they both catch their when around each other. I’m team Chuck all the way

21. Amanda Leigh says:

I would add Leonard from The Big Bang Theory to this list.

22. Carmichael says:

Pierce – It’s great to have Chevy Chase funny again
    Blaine – Given a choice between Blaine and Rachel, I’d choose Blaine every. single. time.
    Alex – Some of Happy Endings’ funniest one liners come from her
    Ted – He’s the central character of the show, but yes maybe they reel him in a little
    Jess – Like Ted, she’s the central character of New Girl. But she’s perfect in her quirkiness. Leave her be.
    Robert California – He’s gone soon enough anyway so what’s it matter?
    Chris – he’s no Sam Seaborn that’s for sure. I don’t dislike him, but can be a bit grating at times yes.
    Jenna – I’m just glad she’s not Rachel Dratch
    Rick – is another Ted/Jess situation. He’s the main character, the only one safe. It will likely end with his death. I have no problems with him.

23. ChuckisaRAPISTandPImp says:

You should be so proud to be Team attempted rapist. Brava.

24. Charcus says:

I adore Darren Criss he gives Blaine some depted even if Murfey is completly unwilling to give the character any storyline so far (hope this changes with “Big Brother” coming up).
    Darren is a wonderfull actor and a awesome singer with a ton of charisma.
    RAINBOWS!!!

25. Gwen says:

How do you put Blaine on this list but not Dave Karofsky or Santana Lopez on the list? Do you even watch Glee? There are no two characters on that show that get people riled up quicker than Dave and Santana. I kid you not, go to any Glee message board and mention Dave or Santana and watch it explode. THAT is a polarizing character; Blaine is just like everyone else. He has fans, he has haters, but he’s not polarizing. If Blaine is polarizing so is Mercedes or Artie. Honestly, I’d put Rachel on this list before I put Blaine on it.

26. Joels says:

I <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 CASTIEL!

27. Laurel says:

3. Deb…I’m not a fan of the Deb crushing on Dexter storyline at all.It makes me dislike Deb.
    10. Winona…Not a fan
    12. Betty… She is a nasty nasty person
    17. Amanda Clarke…I like her she’s really good on the show.
    18. Karen…I like her more than Ivy !
    19. Castiel…I LOVE him !And want him back as a regular on the show ASAP.
    21. Tara…Glad she died on the show ! Too bad it wasn’t sooner but I hope she STAYS dead.
    22. Rick…I like Rick.Can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t. He’s doing the best he can considering.
    I couldn’t stand Shane. I’m really GLAD he’s gone he was such an ahole.

28. Mekina says:

Castiel… Ugh! I am MOST DEFINITELY on the HATE side of that one! Can’t stand him, sick of seeing him, never want him back on the show ever again! I’m sorry, I just cannot stand the character. Knowing he’s coming back the episode after next makes me feel sick. I don’t even want to think about it, and I’m certainly not looking forward to it. I hope we can just get it over with… He can come back, and then hopefully die again, this time permanently!

• Kate says:

God, you people just suck the joy out of everything. You’re really appalling. And since Sera Gamble has already said Cas isn’t dying and hinted that he would be back in season 8 you won’t be getting your way.

• Mekina says:

There’s no need to be insulting, you know. One reason the many Castiel haters aren’t very vocal is because every time we say how we really feel about him, we get jumped on.

I sincerely hope Castiel is not back for season 8. He’s long past his expiration date, and he needs to die and stay dead.

• Kate says:

Oh, I’m so, so sorry that you and your friends get jumped on the moment you all dogpile an article to cover the comments with your hate and abuse. That must be so terribly difficult for you to bear.

• Mekina says:

Dogpile the article? XD That is pretty funny. I haven’t done anything of the kind. I saw a link to this article somewhere, and decided to state my opinion. If the Castiel fans are allowed to declare their undying love for him, I don’t see why I can’t say how much I hate him.We should all be able to say what we think as long as it’s said in a (mostly) polite and non vicious manner.

• Tina says:

What is the point of being rude to anyone who disagrees with you? SG said she left the door open, she didn’t say it’s a sure thing. You know what’s really appalling? Bullying behaviors like yours. Grow up. You don’t have to tear down other people just because they don’t share the same POV with you about a character…

• Mekina says:

A lot of people in this fandom seem to be like that. I hate Castiel, but I don’t go around personally insulting the people that like him. There’s really no need for that. They can tell me that they love him, and that they disagree with me, fine, but I don’t see the need for them to call me names and such…

• Kate says:

Yessss… perhaps you might want to start taking your own advice? ;-)

• Mekina says:

I hope this wasn’t directed at me? Because I’ve been saying what I think (or, well, typing it), but I haven’t attacked anyone as a person for their opinion, though I have told them I disagree, or think differently. So far in this article alone I’ve been called appalling, told that I suck the joy out of life, and a b**ch, all of which I think were uncalled for.

29. Mary says:

I hate Cas with passion. He betrayed the boys last season in the worst possible way.

• Kate says:

Of course he did. Yawn. Don’t you get tired of repeating the same thing every time?

People like you have made this fandom such a negative place.

TFWgirl, very happy to see Cas back and hoping he’ll be in season 8.

• Mary says:

I just said why I hate him. What is your problem? People like me made the fandom a negative place, and people who like him and were all over the internet claiming that they won’t be watching the show until he comes back, or started a campaign about voting against SN at the PCAs didn’t make it a negative place?

• Mekina says:

People who express dislike or anything but utter adoration for Castiel tend to get insulted or jumped on by the more extreme Castiel fangirls. Not all of them, but the rabid ones. That’s why, I think, a lot of people who don’t like him stay quiet.

• Linda says:

That’s why I don’t stay quiet. I’m not being bullied just because I don’t like a character. Screw them. Followers on my Twitter and LJ know I don’t like Castiel.

• Lane says:

Have you considered putting your energy into supporting the aspects of the show you DO like instead of shouting your hate for one character at the top of your lungs? You don’t like him, that’s fine, but what is wrong with you that you have to put so much energy into hating something?

30. Alisha says:

Love love love dan humphrey!!!!!

31. Caroline says:

Love Blaine and Castiel!

32. Casneedstogo says:

I don’t like Cas. Many people don’t like him, but just aren’t vocal about how much they don’t like him. Cas has finished his role on the show. By keep bringing him back because of a few vocal fans, it’s going to ruin the show rather than making it better. because it’s obvious they keep bringing him back because of the very few vocal fans, but where is he going to fit in the show? He isn’t. He is just not as important as people try to make him out to be. The show will always be about Sam and Dean. I am getting sick of the over hyped character Cas.

• Dee says:

Totally agree.

Sam and Dean Forever!!!!!

• Mekina says:

I feel the same way. There’s just no place for him anymore. Maybe he fit in the storyline back in season 4, but this is season 7, and there’s no spot for him anymore. They have to twist things around and ignore more important matters just to fit him in. The only reason they’re bringing him back, seems to me, is to please the more vocal Castiel fans, and that isn’t right. They shouldn’t pander to the fans like that and mess up their show just for the sake of bringing back a character that should be long gone.

• Alene says:

I really wish I understood why people afirm Cas fans are just a few that are very vocal. People have every right to dislike Cas and not want him on the show, like I have every right of loving him and wanting him on the show. But what makes me mad is how people like to voice their opinions like facts. You don’t know if there are just a few vocal Cas fans, you can’t possibly have talked to the entire Supernatural fandom. In a recent poll about Cas returning (one that only accept one vote per computer) more than 86% of the people who voted were excited and happy for his return. This makes me believe that Cas-haters are the few vocal ones. I’m basing it on evidence, not on my personal beliefs, but I still admit that I can’t know for sure. All I know is that all people I know that watch Supernatural (the ones that aren’t in fandom) at least like Cas. The ones that hate him usually are the ones that like season 1-3 better. And there is nothing wrong with liking it better, I just hate how some of these people act like they’re the only true fans and like it’s forbidden to have a favorite that isn’t the Winchesters (who I also love, btw).

• Rick Santorum says:

Facts are for the un-impassioned masses, she-demon!

• Percysowner says:

If you read through this thread so far, you will find several comments from people who like Cas that simply sit there as a statement of fact. If you look at the comments that don’t like Cas you find responses that say we are wrong, we are all only one person, we are all Wincesters. It takes a certain fortitude to not support Castiel. The second I post, I know that my motives, morals and identity will be questioned. I just don’t want the (small portion) of Castiel fans who are trying to squelch any conflicting opinion to silence all of us.

33. Ari says:

They totally britta’d this list…

34. brandon says:

Maybe b/c this show doens’t have that broad of appeal but Lauren Reed on Fairly Legal is horrible. I know she’s suppose to be cold but she seems to enjoy it

35. Ana says:

Some of these make no sense. Karen from ‘Smash’? She’s the star. She’s the one that got screwed out of a role by the chick that actually slept her way into it. Why is Karen the polarizing one? Owen on the other hand is polarizing and infuriating. I have been very understanding of his grieving process but enough already! Still, I like him in Grey’s. I like him as Chief and as a surgeon. And Blaine. I think he’s immensely talented but he came out from the back row to take center stage and that is not ok with me. There are other characters that are just as talented who are being eclipsed. I mean, has Tina even gotten any lines this season? What about Puck? He can do more than just deliver insipid little one-liners. He can seriously rock a song. I started out liking Blaine but I can honestly say that now I like Karofsky better and I would be very happy if he (Blaine) left Glee. And I don’t mind Amanda Clark. She keeps in interesting.

36. tara says:

wt about DAMON SALVATORE?..ppl always seem to absolutly love him or completely loathe him..never indifferent

37. Marcus says:

I got here from Tumblr and all the link said was “Glee’s most polarizing character”. I totally expected Dave Karofsky, maybe Santana or possibly Sue. But Blaine? Seriously? Blaine? I don’t even like Blaine, in fact I loathe him, but I am honest enough to admit he’s nowhere near the most polarizing character on Glee. Dave, Rachel, Santana, Sue, heck even Kurt should be on this list before Blaine. I LIKE all them and I can admit that. Come on, TVLINE be for real.

38. nicky says:

Can’t stand Castiel from Supernatural and Blaine from Glee – for the same reason: They’re supposed to be supporting characters but, most of the time, they were treated like protagonists. In season 4 and 5 of Supernatural Castiel kept showing up to save the day while Sam and Dean usually ended up looking stupid. And Blaine got more solos in Glee than most of the actual Glee club members that were on the show from the start. It’s just so annoying to see additional roles take the spotlight from the characters that actually MAKE the show.

And it’s not even that I think Castiel or Blaine are lame or anything. On the contrary, they’d be awesomely cool IF they had their OWN show. But I want Supernatural to be a horror show about the “hunting things – the family business” instead of a sitcom “Castiel – human studies for beginners”. And, believe it or not, I want Glee to be about the Glee club and not about “Blaine and a couple other kids”.

• THRY says:

Because he gets much solos???

Wow, your argument is strong.

• Sam says:

How can it be “Blaine and a couple other kids” when Blaine doesn’t get his own plot lines? The characters that get the most plots are Wemma, Finchel, Santana, Quinn, and Kurt, and they are all original Glee club members/adults from the first season.

• Kaley says:

But that’s just the reason why some viewers find him annoying: He sings a lot and thus gets a lot of screentime, but the songs and the character himself have hardly any relevance to actual plot lines.

• finnick says:

I say he should get better plotlines than “ooh audition for the school musical”…

It’s not enough… They need to justify all the solo’s.

39. Lisa says:

I don’t watch a lot of these shows but I love Supernatural and Smash. Glee was incredible for season one, season two was awful and season three is better than two but still not great.

I love Cas on Supernatural and Karen on Smash. For the record, I can’t stand Ivy or Ellis on Smash. Blaine is good in moderation. One of the biggest problems that Glee has is Ryan Murphy’s leaning toward excess. Whenever RM decides he has a new favorite person or cause we are inundated with his choice and it ends up hurting the show.

40. Captain says:

Love Dan, Owen, Alex, Adrianna, Karen, Jenna

41. Sana says:

Love Dan Humphrey!

42. Gerald says:

Glee – How is Mr Shue not on this list. He is a terrible teacher and a pathetic role model. He makes me want to stop watching Glee.
    Rachel, Finn and Blaine are all tie for a close 2nd on the dislike meter.
    90210 – Hate Dixon and Ivy way more than Adrianna.
    30 Rock – Hate Tracey way more than Jenna
    Supernatural – Love Castiel, but in small doses.

43. SuckBass says:

Chuck Bass tries to rape little girls, takes the virgiexpressed depressed girl after previously sexually assulting her in the past, Abuses and prostitutes his girlfriend for real estate. His psycho stans are the ones that despise Dan just because they can’t stand Blair fell in love with him and doesn’t want Chuck anymore. Their judgment is completely impaired. They’re the type of women that writes love letters to prison inmates.

• Emily says:

Everything about this comment is so insulting, and stop bringing Chuck into it. My hatred of Dan has very little to do with Chuck. “Loving Chuck” does not equal “Hating how Dan judged and cheated on Serena, followed by him cheating on Vanessa, followed by him ignoring Serena’s feelings and hooking up with her best friend right in front of her face.”

• dea says:

so you want dan to give serena hope even though he have feeling for blair? don’t you think it will be so much worse? lucas scott everyone?

44. Captain says:

I wouldn’t really consider Blaine a “polarizing” character. He is widely loved and hated but it’s not really because of anything he does, it’s because of the overwhelming support he initially got and the fact many consider him “overrated.” I don’t really have an opinion on him regardless.

45. Lucy says:

Sorry but I hate or maybe that is too strong a word but I dislike Castiel He was ok in season 4 but now he is becoming a unwelcome for me.

46. Brittany Swanstrom says:

I don’t care what anyone says….I love me some Betty Draper (not Betty Francis).

47. Tina says:

Castiel needs to be written off the show for good. He served his purpose and he doesn’t fit in SN anymore. Having him there just for the fanservice will ruin the show.

• Kate says:

Stifles huge yawn of boredom at you singing the same old song…

• Mekina says:

I’m stifling a yawn right now at your rude, pointless comments and Castiel returning yet again for no reason.

• Mekina says:

There’s just no spot for him anymore, it’s what I’m always saying. Putting him back in means less time for more important matters… It’s just fanservice, the only reason. He’s not important to any of the storylines going on now and there is no need to have him back. It’s getting old.

• Amy says:

The storylines aren’t even important to the storylines anymore. The last 2 seasons have been totally unfocused, incohesive and uneven. How many of the “major” plotlines from last season never went anywhere at all? Stop acting like taking Cas out of the show will cure bad writing. He’s been gone since ep2 and guess what? The show wasn’t magically awesome again. If you don’t like the character, fine, but stop assigning his involvement more importance than it really carries.

48. SuckBass says:

Type: takes the virginity of a depressed girl after previously sexually assaulting her in the past

49. TamIAm says:

Why do people hate Alex (Happy Endings)? I get that she’s a bit dim, but in a sweet, loveable way.

• Amy says:

I haven’t seen anyone in the comments saying they actually do hate her. I’ll keep looking though, because I don’t understand it either.

50. aryItalianGLEEKfan says:

I don’t think that the character of Blaine isn’t a good character. I just love him,and Klaine is something beautiful. Glee helps people to keep open mind cause we are all human being,gay,lesbians,transgender isn’t bad,we are just human and we are not all the same,so it’s beautiful know the differences :)
    And Darren Criss in the role of Blaine and also Chris Colfer in the role of Kurt are so amazing and so real that is very impressive and entertaining to watch Glee every week. :)