TV's 21 Most Polarizing Characters: Do You Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

We see the way you talk about them, you know….

There are certain names — belonging to fictional TV characters, mind you — that when highlighted in a TVLine news item or feature story elicit, um, “strong” reactions from their show’s collective fan base.

You love ‘em! Or… you hate ‘em! (And mind you, hate is a strong word.)

So, here now, we pay tribute to the most polarizing, divisive, love-’em or hate-’em TV characters now inhabiting primetime. Take a look at our list, then sound off in Comments if you find these folks desirable, or despicable. Awesome, or loathsome. Also feel free to nominate any other fan base rousers!

Comments (1,402)

• People only hate most of these characters because they get in the way of their preferred ships on the show (this is especially the case of Blaine from “Glee”, but applies to a lot of the others as well). Just shows how petty the shippers are, I suppose.

Comment by Sarah – March 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. That is pretty insulting, generalizing, and marginalizing of huge parts of the fan bases of these shows. How, exactly, does Pierce interfere with a ship, for example? There are plenty of reasons not to like characters besides “oh, now I can’t pretend they’re sleeping together as much because I’ve seen them onscreen with other people”. I don’t ship Kurt with anyone, really, on the show – but I’d rather see him with Sue than be overexposed to Blaine like we have the last season and a half.

Comment by Jenn – March 16, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Overexposed? He missed two episodes this season and he hardly gets a storyline in any of the episodes except for The First Time. If you want overexposure, then point the finger at Rachel and Finn.

Comment by Jamie – March 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Blaine is hardly overexposed compared to Rachel, Finn, and especially recently Santana (and I say this as someone that loves Santana and Rachel). He does sing a lot, but not nearly as much as Rachel or Santana, and he never gets his own plot lines.

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Blarren has the most solos out of anyone this season, and is the top singing male. Yes he has overall sang less than Santana and Rachel, but they are the top four singers along with Mercedes, and they are way ahead of everyone else. Get your facts straight.

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Songs =/= quality screentime. Most of us do not want to see jukebox Blaine… Which is all the writers seem to be giving us unfortunately.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 08:56 PM PDT
          • I wish even *one* of the writers, would concentrate on Blaine a little bit more. Like how Ryan writes for Kurt and Brad writes for Brittana and Kurt and Burt scenes.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 08:58 PM PDT
    • I think there’s something to this. I’ve noticed that Dan Humphrey (I have no feelings on him) and Blaine have this in common: Dan gets hate because he needs to die for Chair, and Blaine gets hate because Kurt loves him and not the butthurt shippers’ jock of choice.

Comment by Ann – March 16, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, I only ship Artina on Glee and I hate Blaine anyways (and don’t really hate Mike).

Comment by Emma – March 16, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get over yourself. I don’t ship Klaine, Kurtofsky, Seblaine, or whatever the heck you think all Blarren haters ship. I don’t give a crap about any of the guys for the most part, but Blarren, I want to punch in the face. He is the absolute worst thing to ever happen to this show.

Comment by Gina – March 16, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AMEN.

Comment by jesus – March 16, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think this is probably a lie, given your vehemance.

Comment by elbow – March 16, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you me? I don’t care for any of the Kurt ships but I really dislike the Blaine character. I’m glad he has solos instead of group songs. It’s better for me to fast forward.

Comment by milligan – March 16, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh Dan is the worst. The GG writers’ desperate attempts to make him happen (at the expense of characters and dynamics that people really loved) have killed the show.

Also I have to laugh at the fact that the very first pro-Dan comment had to take a pop at Chuck. As much as Dan fans claim to hate Chuck they talk about him CONSTANTLY. Maybe it’s time for them to come out of the closet and admit their love for TV’s hottest Basstard? Come on over to the Chuckistan side. We have martinis (and a sense of humour!)

Comment by Hannah – March 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dan has always been the protagonist of this show and Penn is a top-billed cast member. The writers did not “make him happen” out of nowhere, he was always there. Only Chuckistans would act like this is news lol.

Btw I’ll come over if I ever want to be nearly raped or shoved around or pimped out for a hotel but until then, I’m good where I am, thanks.

Comment by ruby – March 16, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are you even commenting on an article that only mentions Dan, and not Chuck? Are you secretly in love with Dan?

Comment by you – March 16, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot stand Blaine, especially this season. Do not like the way he looks, acts and (except for WSS) sings. I would be the happiest gleek ever if I never had to see his character again.

Comment by thefirstmrshummel – March 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan is a wuss, and honestly as his character has grown I find myself not trusting him. I also hate how Blair (who was THE best written and acted character the first few seasons) went from a scheming,crazy,fun b*tch to a whiny Debbie Downer. The only thing this couple needs is a trip to the hair salon and a makeover at the nearest Chanel counter.

Comment by ang – March 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing that destroyed Blair was her complete inability to move past her obsession with Chuck. Their dialogue has become ridiculous & cringe-worthy, and I’m glad she’s finally getting something else to do – though if the writers succumb to the rabid Chair tween fanbase, she’ll come crawling back soon enough.

Comment by al – March 16, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Humphrey is an amazing guy. Chuckistans are usually the only ones who think he’s a manipulative jerk – which is hilarious because it’s their beautiful woobie Chuck that sleeps with book agents and sabotages people’s careers over a kiss, not to mention sells his girlfriend for his hotel and smashes glass in her face.

Comment by sam – March 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In a nut shell.

Comment by LOL – March 16, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR? They live in bizarro world, thinking that the guy who pimped Blair for a hotel is amaaaazing and Dan, the guy who would rather her be with Chuck if it would make her happy than be with him is the ~bad guy. I literally cannot even process it.

Comment by louise – March 16, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe it’s because you are processing our thoughts incorrectly. It’s not that Chuck is amazing because he “pimped her out” or anything and that Dan is a horrible person, etc. It’s that everything we enjoyed about the show is gone and we’re just left with Dan-related things, which we don’t enjoy, simple as that.

We could just stop watching, of course, but we’d really like to have a reason to watch.

Comment by Emily – March 16, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Chuck hasn’t left the show yet, neither has any other character. And if the only reason you watch GG is for Chuck & Blair, then yes, you probably should stop watching.

Comment by al – March 16, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised Ellis isn’t the nominated polarizing character from Smash. Then again, I’m not sure he’s liked by anyone!

Comment by Carrie #2 – March 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never get how people in glee fandom can hate Blaine so vehemently, when Finn Hudson is a character on the same show.

Comment by Katie – March 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t hate Blaine, but I could certainly stand to see less of him. He’s a mediocre actor who always performs to the rafters, and always looks like he thinks he’s cooler than he actually is. They also have too many characters on that show, and his percentage of screen time is disproportionate. That said, I don’t particularly like Finn at all, so less Finn time is better.

Comment by Jenn – March 16, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree about Finn. He thinks that he can solve everyone’s problems and he ends up doing just that because the writers think that only a white male attractive popular jock can do that. How on earth would Finn understand more about what Santana went through than say Kurt or Blaine? And yet his song on I Kissed a Girl magically heals her when in fact it’s actually super offensive. siiiiiiiigh

Comment by Jamie – March 16, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 101% agreed.
      Finn was extremely inconsiderate for outing Santana, not to mention he’s stupid. and not in the funny&cute Brittany type way, it’s just painful to watch. He’s a spoiled brat (he’s always immediately forgiven for stuff, and made out to be a “golden boy” or knight in shining armor”) that has the mental capacity of a peanut.

Comment by Veronika – March 16, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s always been my issue with Finn. They have him do HORRIFIC things to people (hurling hate speech and slurs at Kurt come to mind) but he NEVER has any consequences for them. He gets to make a grand gesture and get’s instant redemption. He quits Glee for football (the ONLY Glock to do so mind you) then comes back to a hero’s welcome as if him choosing to uphold his word is somehow magical. He throws on a red shower curtain and defends Kurt and all is forgiven. He sings a song to Santana and it’s roses and sunshine. He’s NEVER made amends to Sam for stabbing him in the back. At some point they need to either stop having Finn do TERRIBLE things to people or have him suffer some real consequences like everyone else has had to (Santana being rejected by her grandmother, Puck spiraling and ending up in Juvie, Quinn’s rejection by her parents and on going estrangement from her father, Karofsky being bullied and attempting suicide, Terri losing Will, Sue losing the election, ect). Finn being Glee’s Teflon Don has turned me against him.

Comment by Monica – March 16, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep – the real problem with Finn isn’t that he’s a jerk (he is, but so are a lot of the characters), it’s that the writers don’t know that he’s a jerk.

So he comes across as a condescending jackass who never has to answer for his misdeeds instead of what they intend: the well-meaning hero who understands the trials and struggles of POC, women, LGBT people, and people with disabilities.

They need to stop using the straight white able-bodied dudes (Finn, Will, even Sam a little, now Rory) to speak for the experiences of minority characters because it’s stupid and makes them look like tools (of the patriarchy).

Comment by Ann – March 16, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ITA. I also think that’s why Schue favors Finn so heavily-he IS Finn.Finn I can cult slack b/c he’s still a kid and he’s still figuring himself out. William though, I can’t stand. He’s supposed to be a good guy but he’s awful and no one ever calls him out on it. He’s a teacher who planted weed in a kid’s locker to blackmail him into joining Glee, yet he stands in judgment of Sue like he’s so morally superior. The choir room is supposed to be the student’s “safe place” yet he allowed homophobic remarks to be made to Kurt, comments about her weight to be directed at Lauren, insults hurled at Rachel, remarks about his disability to be flung at Artie, Sam to be badgered so badly he broke down about his family living at the hotel, and for a “discussion” about religion to turn into a personal attack on a student who dared to have different views. All of this in his presence. He had an emotional affair with Emma, yet Terri was treated like the ONLY one who did anything wrong. He plays favorites in Glee to the point where there are MULTIPLE times of it blowing up in his face (Sue taking half the club, Kurt and Mercedes joining Cheerios, Emma calling him out, Santana, Britt and Mercedes joining Troubletones) yet he NEVER changes. Schue is just a terrible teacher presented as the greatest one since sliced bread. I HATE how all the kids act like he walks on water when he’s WORSE than all of them and doesn’t even have the excuse of being a kid who’s SUPPOSED to make mistakes.

Comment by Reed – March 16, 2012 02:58 PM PDT
        • He got scolded by Burt and got slapped by Santana. He mended fences with Sam by the end of the Rumors episode. He went with Rachel to Sam’s motel and gave him back his guitar. Look, I think Finn is one of the most flawed characters on Glee, but he does try to mend his actions. But I agree, they should stop having Finn do terrible things.

Comment by anne – March 16, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People can dislike both?

Comment by Tina – March 16, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because Finn was here from the beginning, has consistent character development, isn’t getting solos every other episode, and doesn’t have a fanbase of psycho stans who think he is the most perfect and wonderful thing to ever happen to this show?

Comment by mindy – March 16, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We don’t think Blaine is perfect. I like him because he has his faults.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are a unicorn in the Blaine/Darren Criss fandom. His fans are always going on about how “perfect” he is.

Comment by Karen – March 16, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never understood how anyone could hate Castiel. I love him. So glad he’s coming back to SPN.

I do get the Pierce hate, though. I would not mind it at all if he left the show.

Comment by Janet – March 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve personally never understood how anyone could like Castiel, so I’m on the opposite side of the fence. XD

Comment by Mekina – March 16, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And you just had to let us know, right? o_O

Comment by Laura – March 16, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure! :) You have to let people know you love Castiel, I have to let people know I can’t stand him! Let’s all share our opinions!

Comment by Mekina – March 17, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted, Chris, Pierce – Love.
    Robert – Hate.

Only wish you would have added Walter from Fringe! He’s probably the most interesting character on Tv right now.

Comment by Alex – March 16, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who in the world hates Walter? Of anyone on Fringe, I think Fauxlivia should have been on this list. I’m not one of them, but there are people out there that think she and Peter were a better couple.

Comment by Jessica Oliver – March 16, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I nominate Ziva. If you’ve been on the NCIS boards, you know there’s a ton of fans who hate her, and a ton of fans who love her. She’s brought the show viewers and cost them viewers. I know CdP won your crush tournament, but enough people dislike that character (and there are plenty of battles online between the fans) that she should be up here on the list.

Comment by Jenn – March 16, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Might as well add Tony DiNozzo as well. That guy is a doofus extraordinaire.

Comment by Asko v Schuttelmeier – March 16, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Used to hate Pierce, now love him.
    Have always loved Deb, and always will.

LOVE Blaine.
    Used to be ok with Dan, now I hate him for ruining GG.

Love Ted! I just wish we could get around to meeting the mother.

I understand why people hate Betty Draper, but I find her fascinating.
    Jess is very cute, but she’s not my favorite part of the show.
    I honestly find Robert California hilarious.
    CHRIS TRAEGER! Who could possibly not love this man?!
    “Amanda Clarke” is annoying, yeah, but I don’t hate anyone on that show.
    I ain’t curr about Karen, but she’s the most boring part of a boring show.

I hate everything about True Blood right now, but I really need Tara to go away.

Comment by Emily – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Robert California, Blake is okay, Love Deb!!

Comment by jaded – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Blaine, and not just because I’m a huge fan of Darren.
    I understand why some people may not like him, he hasn’t had much character development yet, but with the episode “Big Brother” coming up, I’m confident we’ll get to know him more.
    Klaine is my all time fave ship.. and
    Blaine is like rainbows and sunshine.

Comment by Veronika – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh shut up. You have no idea what’s going to happen in Big Brother and even though YOU are convinced his whole tragic and heartbreaking past of child abuse and neglect and self loathing and woobification will be revealed like all his stans want, doesn’t mean it will and doesn’t mean it will erase the season and a half he’s spent being the most one dimensional and useless character of all time.

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please. You’re being ridiculously petulant. Take a Xanex.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watch the Big Brother episode be a vehicle to introduce Matt Bomer to the 7 million audience. BTW, Matt Bomer is one of the stars of Ryan Murphy’s next movie. Blaine will probably sing some songs with him and that’ll be it. lol

Comment by lol realist – March 16, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is probably true.

Watch him have 10x more dialogue too.

Comment by Anderstan – March 17, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine and Castiel are two of my favorite current TV characters. I love Alex from Happy Endings too!

Comment by T – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else not surprised by the large majority of women on this list…I mean Pierce and Chris don’t count…Fans were supposed to hate Pierce until they reeled him in and Chris is..Chris. But for most of the women characters, they aren’t written as outlandish yet still get hate…

Comment by Josh – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because men can get away with what women can’t. It’s like in real life when a woman is assertive she’s a bitch, if a guy is he’s just “taking charge” etc. Welcome to the wonderful world of double standards.

Comment by Olivia – March 16, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are people that don’t like Chris on PnR. That is literally the saddest thing I have heard today. I enjoy everything about his character and I think his screen time is just perfect.

I actively root for Ted to not find love on HIMYM. His failure is my joy because he is that annoying. I don’t care if he finds the mother or this is all just his delusional ramblings and he dies alone.

The problem with Dan on GG is how hard they try to force him on the audience. Start being critical of Dan on twitter and the gossip girl writers actually appear to tell you how awesome he is. He has failed in every pairing that the show has put him in. Now I am forced to watch the completely illogical Dan/Blair pairing just in another writers attempt that hopefully some of the Blair fans that are mad at Chuck will love him. The only Dan Humphrey story that won’t fail is a murder mystery where he is the victim.

Comment by Fran – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dan has always been the male lead. He is the only male character to have had two of his ships become as popular as they are, Derena and Dair. No one is trying to force him down your throat, but when you intentionally misread everything on the show, the writers will get frustrated. If you don’t want your favourite character to get shown up on the show, then maybe you shouldn’t have picked someone who started the show with attempted rapes on two female leads.

Comment by whatthe – March 16, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Blaine – Absolutely LOVE!! I don’t see how people can hate him.. or how people can think he’s a bad boyfriend or been terrible to Kurt… he went to the prom with Kurt even though he was scared and he jumped in front of a slushie for him… Doesn’t sound like a terrible boyfriend to me.
    *Owen – UGH HATE.
    *Ted – He’s my least favorite in the group but I still love him.
    *Jess – Love :) she’s an awkward cutie
    *Karen – Like her :) Like Ivy too though.
    *Tara – this is a hard one because she used to be a great character but the writers keep giving her crap story lines.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 16, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because you are a delusional dc fan.

Comment by Dany – March 16, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ~… yeah…. because that’s the ONLY explanation. lol.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • finnick is an example for an annoying Blaine/Darren stan.

Comment by A – March 17, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Marvelous contribution.

Finnick thanks you for your time, and hopes that the door does not hit you on your way out.

Comment by finnick – March 17, 2012 06:29 PM PDT
    • He also tried to force himself on his boyfriend and then didn’t even bother to go out of his way to apologize and let his boyfriend take some of the blame for not wanting to drunkenly lose his virginity in the back of a car xoxo what a wonderful boyfriend omg

Comment by Mary – March 16, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What makes me really see red is how *no* Blarren fan has responded to any of the arguements about Blaine’s *digusting* and reprehensible behavior in First Time.

Comment by Katie – March 16, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s because, no matter how many times people respond, the other party in the debate waves their hand at anything presented to them and resorts to Ad Homs. I’ve seen (and been in) many debates about this topic, but every time the other person ignores everything I (or others) have to say. Why would people continue to debate this topic when nothing comes out of it?

Also, Blarren? Really?

Comment by Em – March 16, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I pretty much agree with these.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cas. He’s by far my favorite Supernatural character. I haven’t been watching Supernatural this season since he hasn’t been on the show but I am ready to watch again now that he’s coming back. Yea Cas!!!!!!

Comment by Darby – March 16, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who hates Cas is a bitter Wincester, seriously.

Comment by Meghan – March 16, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now you’re just being plain stupid. So I guess anyone who likes Cas is a Dean/Cas shipper then?

Comment by Alison – March 16, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See, comments like this are why so many seem to say they like Cas but really can’t stand his fans.

Comment by trina – March 16, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • See, comments like this are why so many seem to say they like Cas Sam but really can’t stand his fans.

Comment by Laura – March 16, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …And then all of the Cas fans who haven’t been combative despite hateful comments like this one heave a tired sigh, shake their heads and go on about their business. (Do you really think anyone likes people like you?)

Comment by Sigh – March 16, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And all the people who just don’t like Castiel don’t understand why people like you aren’t condemning the statement that all we are is bitter Wincesters. Instead you support the idea that insulting ANYONE who dislikes Castiel for ANY reason is okay, but reacting to the insult is wrong, wrong, wrong. It doesn’t make you look rational.

I am aware that many Castiel fans simply like Castiel and don’t insult those who don’t. You apparently aren’t one of them, since you support bashing.

Comment by Percysowner – March 17, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Trust me I hate Wincest but I hate people telling me what I am even more. For the record, I am no fan of Destiel or any other fanon relationships either. These kind of comments make you look delusional and does nothing for your cause except add to the divide.

Comment by Dahne – March 17, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE BLAINE ♥

BLAINE HATE IS DUMB!!!

Comment by fd – March 16, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And blind love is so much wiser, right?

Comment by Kaley – March 16, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love a lot of these characters the most. Except Owen Hunt. Surprised Regina Mills isn’t on this list though; people either love her or completely hate her.

Comment by xav – March 16, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love adorkable Jess (New Girl)!
    I loathe Tara (True Blood), a totally unnecessary character from day one.

Comment by JessFan – March 16, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Jess (New Girl), hate the word ‘adorkable’.
      Tara may have an annoying personality, but I kind of like(d) her (go figure).

Comment by Tania – March 16, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine > everyone on this list. Not that there are not all kinds of other people I love (Dan! And how can you hate Karen Carpenter, really), he’s just my favorite person on TV right now.

Meanwhile, Jess actively prevents me from watching New Girl, and Community would be so much better if Pierce didn’t exist.

Comment by RS – March 16, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carpenter = Cartwright. What a weird typo.

Comment by RS – March 16, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTIEL! I love him so much. He is one of the most interesting characters on TV, for me. I absolutely adore him.

Comment by Janessa – March 16, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan is hated only out of jealousy, simple as that. Rational people love Dan to bits, eg Blair!

Comment by Donut FTW – March 16, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castiel. HATE HIM.

Comment by Linda – March 16, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh hai thar, percysowner…

Comment by Incognito – March 16, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, not that person. You know, there just might be more than one person who doesn’t like Castiel.

Comment by Linda – March 16, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, percysowner must be really famous on the internet… I’ve been accused of being them. o.O I know them, but I’m not them, and there is more than one person who don’t like Castiel, you know.

Comment by Mekina – March 16, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not famous as much as some 60-year-old Wincester/tinhatter granny who’s old enough to know better.

Comment by Molly – March 16, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You yourself are quite famous Mekina as one of the Septic Tank dwellers. This is what we mean when we say there’s only a handful of you Cas haters when we can recognize you by your screen names and the posts you leave on every article about Castiel.

Comment by Linda – March 16, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • BTW this is a different Linda than the one who hates Castiel.

Comment by Linda – March 16, 2012 05:35 PM PDT
          • Am I? A bit famous myself? Well now, that makes me quite happy! There are more than a handful of people who don’t like Castiel, there are just a handful that speak up and say so! I don’t know why you act like I’m committing a crime by commenting on articles and stating my opinion. Castiel fans comment on every article, including ones having nothing to do with him, saying how much they love him, so why can’t I, and my fellow Skeptics, comment and state our own opinions, that we don’t like/can’t stand him? There’s really no difference.

Comment by Mekina – March 17, 2012 03:20 AM PDT
      • No, I posted further down.

Comment by Percysowner – March 16, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hee. This made me laugh.

Comment by trina – March 16, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way!

Comment by Mekina – March 16, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The more I see the bats**t crazyness of the Castiel lovers, the more I am completely turned off by that character.

Seriously, if Misha Collins was THAT popular, he should have had all of Hollywood knocking on his door for this pilot season or people lining up to cast him in movies or tv shows.

Instead, all he can hope for is to return to a show on a barely surviving network.

He is a useless character and I truly do hope he does not come back in Season 8!!!!

Comment by Dee – March 16, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The more I see the bats**t crazyness of the Castiel Sam lovers, the more I am completely turned off by that character.
        Seriously, if Misha Collins Wallpaper Padalecki was THAT popular, he should have had all of Hollywood knocking on his door for this pilot season or people lining up to cast him in movies or tv shows.

Comment by Laura – March 16, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Way to be original.

Did I even mention Jared?

Jared has TOP billing on the show. The show is about 2 brothers….

What, really, is difficult to understand about that?

Why is is that if someone dislikes Castiel it automatically is assumed that our favorite is Sam? He isn’t, by the way.

I love both brothers EQUALLY.

Comment by Dee – March 16, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word! :D

Comment by Alison – March 16, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell is Deb doing there? She is the best character ever.
    I’d rather put Laguerta on the list.
    I don’t particularly like Ted from HIMYM, Tara from True Blood, Betty from Mad Men and Blaine from Glee.
    But Debra Morgan is perfection.

Comment by Al – March 16, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Laguerta! I can’t stand her! why is she not on the list instead??! She’s a phony, selfish bitch! Deb might be a little nuts but she has a good heart.

Comment by jaded – March 16, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Chris Traeger. I don’t understand where all the hate for him comes from. Rob Lowe consistently cracks me up, along with everyone else on that show.

Comment by Andy – March 16, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cas! By far the best angel in the garrison. Misha Collins is one of the best things to ever happen to Supernatural. More Cas, Less boring Leviathans. And more Cas and Dean scenes.

Comment by Daniel – March 16, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have to disagree with that one! Don’t like Castiel, and Gabriel is the best angel in my opinion!

Comment by Mekina – March 16, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh man, Gabriel was my favorite angel too. So devious and fun!

Comment by Alison – March 16, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I do miss him, his eps are some of my favorite!

Comment by Mekina – March 16, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have to disagree with that one!
        Of course you do!

Comment by Laura – March 16, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put Klaus from Vampire Diaries on that list…he bothers me to death…

Comment by Max – March 16, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah…but he’s a villain. He’s supposed to bother you. (Even if I want to pinch his cute little man-dimples.)

Comment by Amy – March 16, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Ziva not on the list she is liek the most hated Female character ever

Comment by Michael – March 16, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awks because I’m pretty sure her millions of fans across the globe would contest that…..

Comment by Catherine – March 16, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine is honestly the only character on Glee that I can actually stand these days.

Comment by Mia – March 16, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Dan Humphrey. Like Alex from Happy Endings. Dislike Jess from New Girl and meh on Amanda Clarke from Revenge.

Comment by LOL – March 16, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy on TBBT…can’t believe she was overlooked

Comment by Laura – March 16, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cas. Need I say more?

Comment by Hannah – March 16, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Skyler White or Marie Schrader from Breaking Bad?

Comment by Dahveed – March 16, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow no Blaine Anderson is perfect screw you

Comment by idk – March 16, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow no you’re a delusional stan grow up

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Blaine. Favorite character on the show, one of the nicest one too.

Comment by Mikey – March 16, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ikr right shaming sam for no reason at all and forcing himself on kurt in the back of a car and telling kurt hes not sexy and looks like hes got gas pains and talking to a boy who he knows wants in his pants behind kurts back is so so so nice what an angel love him!!!

Comment by linda – March 16, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who cares about nice?
        Who cares about Sam?
        So he’s not allowed to talk to people?
        Kurt was pulling ridiculous faces though. Penguin faces. I thought the miscommunication was funny.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Look, if you’re going to hate on a character, at least be accurate.

- he didn’t force himself on Kurt
        - he never told Kurt he wasn’t sexy
        - he had one conversation with Sebastian on the phone the same day Kurt found out about the conversation

Also, characters are allowed to be flawed. People can mess up and still be good, nice people.

Oh, and Rachel, Finn, and Sam all also participated in slut-shaming, so you’d better start hating them! (and Blaine was lashing out because he was angry at Finn; if you had an iota of viewing comprehension you would understand this).

Comment by anon – March 16, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Frank from Shameless not up there? William H. Macy plays that role brilliantly. I bounce around from loving him to hating him all the time.
    Also, Jackie on The Good Wife. It’s time to send her to a retirement village.

Comment by John – March 16, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love Ted on HIMYM, don’t know why some people dislike him…he’s only been so flawed and picky because the writers have tried to draw out the mother thing for as long as possible. I have liked Dan from the beginning of Gossip Girl, much like Blair I’m torn between Chuck and Dan :) Alex on Happy Endings is Ok…HATED her as Kim Bauer, but not so much as Alex. Sutton on the lying game is eh…but I guess without her there wouldn’t be much of a plot. Jess from New Girl is slowly growing on me, and someone please kill off Amanda Clarke, I can’t stand to watch any scenes with her in them.

Comment by Arashy – March 16, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C A S T I E L!!

Comment by riviera41797 – March 16, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how can anyone hate jenna from 30 rock or alex from happy endings?

Comment by andy – March 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny, I’m pretty sure Karen on Smash is the one we’re supposed to sympathize with. The problem is Katherine McPhee does not have the stage presence to be a Broadway star and Ivy does, so how can we sympathize with Karen when she’d sink the show?

Since when is Rick on The Walking Dead polarizing? I missed that entirely.

Comment by Temis – March 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The more ridiculously stupid they make Alex on Happy Endings, the more I love her.

Comment by eric – March 16, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sympathise with Amanda because she still cares for Emily; who treats her as just another pawn…

Comment by Anna – March 16, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine is God!

Comment by Yesica – March 16, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL TV Line, your bias is showing. No matter how hard you try, it still isn’t going to make Max Adler a regular, or Karofsky a regular character or Kurtofsky happen. It is actually coming across as a bit pathetic now.

Comment by James – March 16, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TV Line’s bias.

That’s it. That’s the joke.

Comment by Ann – March 16, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This article has nothing to do with either. You ‘Klainers’ are pathetic to bring that up every time someone dislikes Blaine. Newsflash: A lot of people just hate him and not because of stupid shipper wars.
      And the comments pretty much did prove the point of the article.

Comment by logic – March 16, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look another klainer butthurt that the world doesn’t revolve around them. everyone who hates blaine and doesn’t ship klaine must be a kurtofsky shipping devil apparently. Jsyk I don’t ship kurtofsky nor do I care if Karofsky ever comes back but I would very much love if Blarren was driven off a cliff or set on fire or thrown into a woodchipper idk just get him off my screen please and thank you

Comment by Greg – March 16, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least then I can stop watching Glee.
        I miss season 1, but now I hate pretty much every character except Blaine and Kurt and Santana.

I’m not going to be interested in post-graduation, so if Blaine’s not in S4, i’m out.

Comment by Blaineanderstan – March 16, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL someone is a little insecure in their ship, methinks. And I’m not going to feel bad for shipping Kurtofsky. It means nothing to me whether Blarren fans believe it or not, but I ship Kurtofsky because I hate *Blaine*, I don’t hate Blaine because I ship Kurtofsky. I was more than willing to give him a chance when Glee introduced him as a love interest for Kurt, and for the first few weeks I really liked him and his relationship with Kurt, but this season Glee has shown there to be absolutely no depth to this character who really does nothing but make everyone around him feel inadequte. I didn’t even see the episode people are referencing where he said the super rude thing to Sam, but if you add that in to Kurt being made to apologize for not allowing himself to be raped in the backseat of a car, those scenes speak *volumes* about who Blaine really is.

Comment by Katie – March 16, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ Wow, I think you’re the biased one here

Comment by Are You Serious? – March 17, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Blaine from Glee on this list? He’s the closest thing to a universally adored character all my friends and family can agreement on.

Comment by mara – March 16, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol.

Comment by andreacn – March 16, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL^∞

Comment by Sandra – March 16, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say it was a mostly adored 80/20 split.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol, stop living in you delusional bubble.

Comment by Sandra – March 16, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s only one way to settle this…

A nationwide census.

Comment by finnick – March 16, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I see polarizing characters differently. Like, to me, on Glee I would say Dave Karofsky, Kurt Hummel, Mr. Schue, and Santana Lopez are the characters that I’d see as polarizing. It’s not so much about popularity or lack there of, but when you go to fan forums they get the most intense debates/fan reactions. With Blaine, yeah he has die hard fans and haters but so does EVERY character. Blaine to me is like Finn; he has vocal supporters and haters but unless you’re talking about Klaine and ships, he’s not a character that sparks a ton of in depth debate or division in the general fandom, no more so than anyone else in my experience. By contrast mention Kurt or Santana or Dave and all hell breaks loose. That applies to Schue as well to a lesser extent, since there is quite a bit of conversation about how inappropriate he can be, his favortism, whether or not he’s effective as a teacher, ect. But yeah, personally Blaine isn’t polarizing to me, he’s kinda of a Quinn in S1 and S2. A character that has a lot of potential but they writers haven’t really developed to the point where they could have so he’s very dependent on his pairing for his sense of identity.

Comment by Meisha – March 16, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blaine isn’t polarizing to *you*…. um…??????? that doesn’t actually make any sense. This isn’t about internal debate. This is about the fandom being split. A LOT of people can’t stand Blaine. Kurt isn’t really polarizing, most of the fandom likes or tolerates him.

Comment by Sam – March 16, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, the amount of people who hate Blaine is a small, very vocal amount of people. Outside of fandom (which is really small) the GA loves him. Your bias is showing *heavily*

Comment by Em – March 16, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How do you know this? You’ve counted all the Blaine haters in the world in contrast to his supporters? Must have taken, like, forever.

Comment by Katie – March 16, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Considering the amount of love he gets from the media, the reviews, etc, yeah, I’d have to say that he’s incredibly loved. He’s one of the most popular characters on Glee, up there with Rachel and Kurt. He’s hated by a small amount of people who sadly happen to be incredibly vocal about said hate.

Comment by Em – March 16, 2012 10:38 PM PDT
  • I cannot stand Dan on Gossip Girl or Blaine on Glee or Tara on True Blood.

Comment by JB – March 16, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post