OWN Cancels The Rosie Show After Five Months

Rosie O’Donnell’s latest eponymous talk show, em>The Rosie Show, has been cancelled, OWN announced on Friday evening.

The last episode will be taped on Tuesday, March 20, to air Friday the 30th.

“I thank Rosie from the bottom of my heart for joining me on this journey,” OWN boss Oprah Winfrey said in a statement. “As I have learned in the last 15 months, a new network launch is always a challenge and ratings grow over time as you continue to gather an audience. I’m grateful to Rosie and the dedicated Rosie Show team for giving it their all.”

O’Donnell’s latest venture, airing on Winfrey’s still-kinda-fledging and definitely struggling cabler, got off to a tepid start in October 2011, drawing so-so reviews (TVLine readers gave it an average grade of “C”) and premiering to barely a half-million viewers. As of early March, the audience had dwindled to about 150,000.

Will you miss The Rosie Show?

1. Doug says:

Good riddance to it…always hated Rosie O’Donnell and could never stand her talk shows…

• agnes fiumara says:

I think your comment is terrible, I get freedom of speech. But if you didn’t like her or her show so what, who cares what you think. Just don’t watch. It would be so nice if everyone liked one another but the fact of life that is not so. But to have to comment such negativity makes me sick. You think your opinion is so important. Other wise you would not have posted it. I get that I can have an opinion, but I also get that people may not think its important. So grow up. I also have a feeling you don’t like yourself.

• revmom says:

I like Rosie a lot–she’s very entertaining, has strong opinions, and is able to change her mind when necessary. I thought her “One On One” would have been better in a radio venue. Well, everything changes, and Rosie has to change, too. Sorry you don’t like her, Doug.

2. Stacie says:

Kinda thought they’d give it more time. But given that this is the 3rd reincarnation of the show since it began in September shows that they and Rosie couldn’t figure out what they wanted to do. Rosie went to OWN instead of NBC or ABC thinking she’d get to do whatever she wanted, which she did, but Rosie couldn’t attract the viewers like she would have on a major station. I think at this point in Rosie’s career and the way that she seems to like talking politics and stuff, maybe she can land on HLN or something. That wouldn’t be terrible.

• agnes fiumara says:

Rosie, I wish you the best. I hope you find your nitch again. I enjoy watching you. I give you a lot of credit going to a new network. It is difficult when many people can’t even pick up OWN. Good luck and look forward to watching you again.

3. Joey C. says:

What happened to the winners of OWN’s get your own show competition? Did those two shows ever premier?

I still say OWN is an unbalanced network. All she has is her reality programming… either self help, her interviews with the mega-rich, and depressing documentaries like Lisa Ling’s Our America…

What she needs is original scripted shows both comedy and drama, a few day time talk shows like her former gig, a few interesting reality shows, and original movies of the week!

Oprah did great in The Color Purple and The Women of Brewster place… she appreciates fiction, drama, acting… so WHY isn’t she looking for great writers and producing great scripted television.

Enough with the self help and the depressing reality shows.

• Kim R says:

I agree with your comment. OWN is a lot of repeats, old episodes of shows & repeats of Oprah’s interviews etc. I do like Peter Walsh and I did like Rosie’s newest format with the one on one’s but I really can’t see this network surviving. Not everything Oprah touches turns to gold. I think this is one of those things. Harpo produced movies were never really successful etc. I hope Rosie finds a spot for her interview style. I think she is great at that. :)

• JT says:

They did premiere but t he fact that no one watched them or even know they did is the point. I caught a little bit of the Zach travel show and the other woman (can’t even remember her name) cooking show and they were both as horrific as the YOUR OWN SHOW show was. Don’t know whats going on at OWN. I watched Rosie and the new format was suiting her but lets face it – 2o12 rosie isn’t the rosie of the mid 90s. She’s now very polarizing – often angry – not funny- outspoken liberal lesbian – Often I thought the show should be on Logo instead of Own. She wasn’t funny – She couldn’t get lots of big name talent outside her friends – The show was on at a very awkward time – Every few weeks, the set and format changed – It just never worked or knew what it wanted to be. Having said th at, the 1-1 really suited Rosie…She could do an intelligent talk show on LOGO -= or my idea of having a GAY VIEW WEEKLY TYPE SHOW ON LOGO would be good- Maybe Rosie and 4 Gay Guys. I just don’t think she has mainstream appeal anymore. Her stories were mostly about being a celebrity (not relatable) or being a lesbian…I wish her luck and that she get on her feet and find a format that works (the nbc variety show was likewise a disaster)…If not, enjoy your new marriage and have a great life while the 2 youngest kids grow up…maybe go back to the sirius radio show…Its just a niche audience. BUT PLEASE A LOGO VIEW-LIKE SHOW on pop culture and politics from an LGBT perspective…(although I recently read that Logo is abandoning its gay shows for more of a Bravo reality type focus)

• jt says:

Oprah should turn to h er friend Tyler Perry and get him to come up with a good comedy or drama series for OWN – They need to find their MAD MEN or JERSEY SHORE – some kind of show that will set it apart. Their next big idea? Beverly Johnson reality show? Huh? And more Oprah Lifeclasses? HuH? People don’t really want to be lectured when they sit and watch TV. Plus OWN still isn’t on most basic cable tiers. Im lucky that Directv has OWN on its basic, but most cable systems require you to subscribe to a higher level to get OWN.

4. tia says:

It’s shame because it was a good show especially the new format. Oprah should have given it more time. Even Oprah is not pulling in the ratings with her own specials.

5. Natalie says:

I watched the Rosie show one or two times… Wasn’t like her old show at all! Personally I’m not an Oprah fan so I don’t watch the network and hope it gets canceled I’ve heard the ratings are in the toilet as it is

6. TV Gord says:

Too bad. Her One-on-One interviews were really good. I had a feeling this was coming last night when she filled in for Piers Morgan and there was absolutely no reference to her OWN show. I will miss it.

• Jason says:

Yeah, I agree. She’s really great in this format. I too thought it was odd when she didn’t say a word about OWN last night. Of course this is going to bring out the haters who never even watched it. Maybe she’ll go back to radio. She was great there too!

• cc says:

I knew the show was history when reports came out that Rosie had sold the Chicago home she had just bought less than a year ago.

It must be nice to be rich & not have to worry about work or money.

Feel sorry for all the 20 year olds who just lost their job. Guess most of them will move over to the Steve Harvey show, which seems to be the only talk show left in Chicago now – where there used to be Oprah/Jerry/Jenny in the 90s so that TV people could live and work in Chiacgo without having to move to LA or NY

7. Mika says:

Loved the new format. Too bad. I enjoy Rosie’s 1:1 interview style.

8. Mike says:

Just turn this network back to the Discovery Health Channel. It was much more interesting then.

9. kevin says:

No more ROSIE on TV. Time to move on. :(

10. Ed says:

I watched it on and off and enjoyed seeing Rosie on TV again, but I just couldn’t get into it being a day thing (like her previous talk show)

11. Laura says:

really truly enjoyed the one-on-one format…thought she had some great guests and I was really interested in their stories…sad to see it go…hope she goes back to radio or something else

12. Di says:

I don’t get OWN, so I never watched this, however, I’m from Chicago, and at the end, one of her producers made a statement about how celebrities weren’t willing to come here – aka, it was our fault, not her’s for not being successful….so 1) Oprah did it just fine and 2) it’s not like we are in Australia and it takes 21 hours to get here – we are very nice people, with a lot less paparazzi (just ask Vince Vaughn and Joan Cusack)

• TV Gord says:

Oprah didn’t do celebrities everyday, the way Rosie was expected to do. Didn’t you ever wonder why?

• ck says:

Well most celebrities – who aren’t Rosie’s personal friends- are not going to fly to Chicago to be on a show that no one is watching. Its just not worth their effort unless they have other business in Chicago. Oprah was a HUGE show so people would do anything to get on her show; she could make or break careers or brands (look at Spanx for one example)

I love and miss Chicago so much as I used to work in daytime talk there – but there aren’t many shows anymore – I think Steve Harvey is the only one so its hard to find work

13. Al says:

Rosie, ever since she came out of the closet and has made fun of herself, has been enjoyable. My god, even Howard Stern loves her.

I was skeptical about her comeback, but she is really good. She was also great filling in for Piers Morgan.

This show just did not work.

To tell you the truth, OWN is not going to last.

None of the shows get ratings. Oprah is going to have to sell it like Oxygen.

Rosie was offered a network show before she took Oprah’s offer. She also didn’t want to be in Chicago, but Oprah forced her to move.

Get rid of Piers and put Rosie in his place. She is really good with these one-on-one interviews. Shockingly so.

• TV Gord says:

Oprah didn’t force Rosie to do anything. It was all negotiated, the way all business transactions are. Why do people have to make everything confrontational. Jeez.

• ro says:

rosie always said how much she loved chicago. its a great city

14. Carl says:

I agree the show was bad in the beginning but the new format was perfect, I hope she bring it to CNN or something.

It’s not Rosie’s fault, no one has or watches OWN. Oprah isn’t even getting ratings on her own shows.

It deserved another year to pick up stride.

• Josh says:

Agreed. It’s a shame she’s suffering because Oprah can’t decide what she wants to do with her network.

• TV Gord says:

I agree. All cable channels take at least five years to build an audience. OWN has been under a microscope since day one, but as long as Oprah has the finances to weather these early days, she will survive. It’s too bad Rosie wasn’t given more time to find her footing, but it seems as though both women are walking away from their deal without acrimony.

15. Mimi says:

I hated her show years ago. Now if Oprah would’ve had Ellen things wouldve been different

16. Barb Tessier says:

Nope won’t miss the Rosie Show at all. Haven’t missed Oprah either.

17. Nadine says:

I usually enjoy Rosie’s work. I had free preview to OWN for a month, and I found the the show too serious, the few times I caught it, and the interviews too conversational and intimate in tone. In fact, programming at OWN seems to have a limited understanding of their target audience.

18. Tagrid says:

I’ve always liked Rosie, but I’ve only caught her show on OWN a few times – tho I liked this format the few times I did run across it. Clearly Oprah should’ve waited until her channel was more established before expecting so much, from anyone. I’d like to see Rosie take this format to HLN and replace Joy Behar’s show. Hope CNN picks her up. I wish Oprah luck. The suggestions of Joey C. were all excellent. Oprah’s got lotsa work to do!

19. Heather says:

OWN is struggling, yet Oprah says soaps are dying? If soaps, like the recently cancelled OLTL, were picked up by OWN, she’d have a built in audience. This audience was willing to follow a show to the internet, so it seems logical they would certainly follow to a cable channel, as the number one complaint about Prospect Park was the imagined inconvenience of having to watch on a computer screen. Then, during the show, Oprah could promote other OWN shows and garner an audience and salvage a struggling network.

• Bobbi says:

I agree. That was a really dumb move on Oprah’s part. The soap audience would follow their show anywhere and would have given her a captive audience to sell her other shows to.

As for Rosie’s show…..one thing I never understood since day one: why was the show put on at 7:00 pm? The audience for that show usually is not ready to sit down at that hour and watch a show. Women are getting home from work, taking care of kids, making dinner…..they’re busy! Stupidest time choice ever.

• pete says:

I agree with the timeslot- It was originally supposed to be 4pm like Oprah and I never understood why 7pm. It just seemed like such an awkward time for a talk show like that. And the show never knew what it wanted to be- every few weeks there’d be a new set and a new format. And rosie isn’t as popular as she thinks she is – or oprah obviously thought. The rosie from the view is not the same rosie from the 90s. She’s now polarizing – someone who always talks about liberal politics and lesbianism which alienate a percentage of the population off the bat. It wasn’t a happy show like Ellen. And they didn’t really get a lot of good bookings but she did some good shows and I agree the 1-1 format is really one she should pursue – she was good and gave some unique interviews. Im sad to see her go; I think she should try to get a weekly show on Logo.

20. mike says:

yeah I agree with some of the other commentors I was really enjoying the new one on One format and her guest hosting job on piers morgan
    I hope that she does something similar on another channel

21. maria says:

Hopefully, she’ll be back on the radio. I enjoyed listening to her show every morning:-)

22. nitemar says:

Rosie, does she still have any fans? Im just asking.

23. Bobby says:

I loved her ONE ON ONE format and was really enjoying the show. Rosie is talented and will find another avenue for us to enjoy her. I have a feeling the entire network ain’t gonna be around much longer.

24. Kevin LaPrese says:

I was upset to find out the rosie show is being cancelled on own.I will miss the show. I wish they would have given it more time. I wish rosie the best of luck finding another show.

25. Larc says:

Can’t say that I’ll miss Rosie’s show since I didn’t watch it past the first few. She seems to have lost whatever touch she ever had. With one failed venture after another, maybe it’s time for her to retire.

26. jill says:

Oprah needs to take a breath and embrace OTHER endeavours. Putting a new network together takes a little more than piling up the available boring reruns of old shows, recycyling your own old interviews, and resurrecting a controversial semi-toxic talk show host praying the ‘old magic’ is still there… hello, is that YOU, reality check?

I used to love the old Rosie and her old show but that was then and this is now and I’ve moved on… so should Rosie and so should Oprah … aren’t there some whales that need saving?

“… And the beat goes on ” ~/0

27. Nancy says:

I will miss Rosie. I have always worked the 9-5 . Never got to watch Rosie on daytime. I just loved her on Own. I couldn’t wait for my work day to end, so I could go home and watch Rosie. Watched every night. I will miss her!

28. Djed says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it’s because the show was on OWN and not many people can afford satellite/cable. I got Cable exclusively to see Rosie. Guess I can cancel it now. :(

29. Michelle says:

I thought Rosie’s show was fantastic! I loved the last “one on one” format. I think she is a terrific interviewer. I will miss her greatly.!!! I guess people are not ready for positive tv yet. On another note…OWN plays too many reruns.

30. Jonah says:

Let’s point out who’s the REAL nutjob here: Oprah Winfrey. Lady becomes a billionaire, but it’s never enough. She ends the show that her audience adores…because she wants MORE, MORE, MORE!!!! She’s gotta have one of the biggest egos in H’wood. “Oh, I’ll just start my OWN cable network and name it after ME. Mee. MEEEEEE!”

I, for one, have laughed to myself upon reading every bit of stench and failure that’s emanated from that ridiculous venture.

31. janet says:

OWN is a horrible network. But Rosie’s show was worse. America is over Rosie … Plz stay away.

32. Catherine Powell says:

I personally liked “The Rosie Show” very much. It felt not right for them, they tryed to fix it, it took a lot of time & process to get their mojo working. When they did it was too late.
    Lost alot of audience. In the end I believe they found their grove. She’s smart, she is well
    informed and has a heart. I loved her guests’. They were not necessarily “A listers” some were but
    not all and that was very very interesting. She was talking to people that I wouldn’t have an opportunity to hear from in a personal way.

I know that someone will scoop her up for straight interview as well
    as Broadway, Variety show’s, Sitcoms. She’s a very talented woman. She will not be hurting for jobs.

Mr. Trump YOU MUST GET OVER YOURSELF” PLEASE!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing Rosie in her next endeavor…

And also, I believe there is a HUGE audience for a network that is interested in teaching. And if you don’t need or want it
    simply don’t watch. But please allow us the prividege if we want.

33. Patrick says:

I for one am very sad to see her go. Also sad for all the haters out there. What or how people can be so full on hate is beyond me. Rosie is as real as it gets and for that alone I respect her. Not to mention her talent. Loved the one on one format. Being a single(fulltime) father of two beautiful girls WE watched daily. She is a fantastic female role model. We love you Rosie. Good luck to you and yours.

34. Amy says:

I like the Rosie show! I liked the radio show so when she announced that she was going to do the tv show, i was anxiouly awaiting its premier! I looked forward to listening to the re-broadcast on Oprah’s sirius station during my morning commute. I think that she would have done better in a different time slot…I for one have a bunch of really busy kids and 7.00 is the worst possible time to sit down and watch a show…I actually never watched the show for this reason and only was able to “hear” it on the radio. ihope that she goes back to sirius. Good luck Rosie! I will miss your company in my car in the mroning!

35. Betty says:

Sorry about The Rosie Show was cancelled. But she will pull through this. Hang in there Rosie.