Once Upon a Time Pics: Barbara Hershey As the Evil Queen Mum, Plus Nikita's Noah Bean

To understand evil, you have to understand its maker. To that end, ABC’s Once Upon a Time will introduce Black Swan‘s Barbara Hershey as the Evil Queen’s mother on April 1, and we’ve got a sneak peek at a heated exchange between the two.

Once Upon a Time Hot Shots: Gossip Girl‘s Sebastian Stan Goes Mad

“We have a saying that evil is not born, it’s made,” teased executive producer Eddie Kitsis during a press Q&A. Hershey’s Cora “has a specific viewpoint about the world.”

In dealing with her mom — and making a tough choice about her own future that could upset their relationship — viewers will “get a great insight into Regina and why she is the way she is,” adds EP Adam Horowitz.

Nikita‘s Noah Bean also guest stars as a handsome stable boy, who believes that love can make anything possible, even breaking through the barriers of his social station. Hmm, do he and an innocent Regina have a history?

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Josh says:

It’s so strange to see Lana in a bright colored costume. I like it! Hershey looks perfect.

2. Tia says:

Yay for Noah!! =]

3. kevin says:

Hope ONCE UPON A TIME gets renewed for a Season Two.

4. juan says:

its so weird seeing Lana(evil queen) like that, with something besides black, it will be an awesome episode

5. Patti says:

I kinda lost any idea of having sympathy for Regina when she killed her loving father, ruined sidney who generally loved her and killed graham. not interested in hersey’s character either.

• dk says:

I think that she’s the only interesting character on the series.

Who the heck cares about yet another dashing tall dark and handsomely rogish dude hero that sweeps a lady off her feet yadda yadda yadda blah, blah, blah… that’s boring.

I want to know what the hell could have hurt her so much that she started doing things only for herself (I don’t think she’s evil, just selfish…)

Not to mention that Lana Parilla is in the top two of the actors/actresses on that show. Holy crap she’s good. I can’t wait for her in this epi, and Hersey. (Even if the episode will no doubt put another nail in the coffin of my preferred ship pair… ah well…)

• ChrisGa says:

Wow, I couldn’t disagree with you more about that character and, more specifically, Lana Parilla. The character has endless potential, but I think Parilla is the weakest link in that cast, male or female. I’ve actually stopped watching because she just became a dealbreaker for; at first I thought it was the fact that the character is just so completely evil and unredeemable(her killing Graham was the final one for me), but it has alot more to do with the fact that I just think Parilla is unbelievable miscast.

• Amanda says:

I totally agree with you. I find the mayor character to be especially unberable. Always lurking with a lame “Ms. Swan”. Way too over the top. I can’t find a way to be interested in her. The Evil Queen is too much too. I don’t know Lana Parilla’s work in general so I suspect it’s the writing but who knows.

• Mona says:

Agreed. Parrilla, Carlyle and Goodwin are easily the best actors on the show. Hershey is always great too; should be a memorable guest stint.

• Catch625 says:

She’s a really good actress for sure. The Queen’s one of the best examples of how the writers and the actors really flesh out those stereotypical fairytale characters on Once Upon A Time. Kudos to the writers and Ms. Parrilla!

6. Sam says:

So the staple boy was the Queen’s one true love. I would guess that while the Queen was making up her mind about whether to go with the staple boy or marry Snow’s father, the staple boy met and fell in love with Snow White. The staple boy was then killed or otherwise disappeared because of something Snow White said or did innocently.

• Sarah says:

Snow White is played be a 12 year old child actress in this episode. I’m guessing Regina and Daniel (the stable boy) will try to elope and get married, Snow White overhears them talking about their plans and then tells Cora or her father about it, unaware that her actions will lead to Daniel’s death as either Cora or Leopold then sets out to have the stable boy killed.
      I don’t think they’ll make Snow White the incarnation of evil in this episode – that would be very out of character. But I do think that she will have to accept a certain amount of blame for what happened back then and she’s not exactly the pure picture of innocence either. Like Ginny Goodwin said at Paley Fest: It’s a complicated situation, not black and white one.

• Tabatha says:

i completly agree with what you said was going to happen. my friend n i were just talking about what we thought might happen n since she did agree with me i though i was the only one think that was what is going to happen…glad to know im not the only one think like this:)
        (and i think her the evil queens mother is the queen of hearts)

7. Hannah says:

Just love once upon a time!

8. Sarah says:

This should be one hell of an episode. I can’t wait to find out what happened to young Regina. Her mother looks like the real Evil Queen in this fairytale and not only because she will surely try to force her daughter to marry Snow White’s father instead of following her heart and marrying the cute stable boy. She seems to be a witch and using her powers against her own child… that’s just horrible. I hope Regina’s father will stick up for her, but I remember she accused him of only now trying to protect her before she cast the curse. That makes it sound like he wasn’t much help when Cora was absuing their daughter. Just horrible. And it explains what they writers said about evil being made.
    Barbara Hershey is another great casting choice. Lana Parrilla knocks it out of the park with her acting on a regular basis and her and Hershey together should be a real treat. Can’t wait1

• Mona says:

On any other show Parrilla would be a candidate for an Emmy nomination. But fantasy/sci-fi shows never get any recognition from the Academy.

• ChrisGa says:

So true. Probably why Gillian Anderson was never nominated or won for the X-Files. Oh wait….she was(numerous times) and did. Parilla won’t get nominated because there are two actresses who do better work just on this show and about twenty or more who do better work on others. Just sayin’.

• Tim says:

XF was over a decade ago. At least 12-13 years. Our award shows have changed a lot since then. All of them. I’m not saying ANYONE from OUAT should get an Emmy or something, but I agree with Mona that some genres are constantly ignored. It’s all one giant popularity contest. And it’s been like that for years now. Or can you think of any recent examples that that prove otherwise?

9. Catch625 says:

I can’t wait for this! Everything about it looks perfect. Regina looks so young and innocent and carefree. The stable boy is cute, Regina’s mother looks like a real witch in every sense of the word, casting did an awesome job with young Snow White… This could be my favorite episode this season!

10. kirads09 says:

Could this play into why Regina/Evil Queen hates Snow so much? My theory is that Regina was in love with the stable boy. Perhaps there was an arranged marriage already for Young Regina to Snow’s father so the relationship with stable boy was forbidden Somehow Snow was involved (real or imagined) for exposing them and Regina blames Snow for not being able to be with her true love? Just my thoughts. I guess we’ll find out more!

11. anthony says:

Great casting for reginas mother, I have this nagging suspicion that the queen of hearts from alice and wonderland is gonna turn out to be reginas mother