Exclusive: NBC Renews Grimm For Season 2

The folks at Grimm got some scary-good news today: NBC has picked up the freshman spooker for a second season!

The Friday drama has been a rare bright spot this season for NBC, which has seen nearly all of its rookie dramas — The Playboy Club, The Firm, Free Agents and Prime Suspect — quickly crash and burn.

With its most recent outing, Grimm drew 5.2 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating, but of significance is the fact that at last tally, it’s 18-49 numbers enjoyed the largest increase — 87 percent! — of any network series in DVR Live+7 data.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. Mikaylah says:

Yay! Such good news!

2. J says:

Great news! ;)

3. Cinders says:

Fabulous news. I rather enjoy Monroe a lot.

4. TV Gord says:

What a pleasant surprise! I didn’t think this would get a second season. I think this should also make fans of Parenthood and Harry’s Law feel a little more confident about renewal!

5. Taryn says:

AWESOME! This is definitely one of my favorite new shows! Can’t wait to see what they will have cooked up for season two

6. Pam says:

Excellent news! I agree it’s NBC’s bright spot, though I am loving “Awake” too, but have less hope for it. Still, this is happy-making for we Grimmsters.

7. Laurel says:

That is Fantastic news !
    I love the show & Monroe.

8. Crady says:

Yay! I’m so excited!!

9. Good to hear! I know my mom really likes this show. Maybe I’ll catch up on it during the summer…

10. kirads09 says:

Y-E-S! Doing my happy creature dance! :)

11. Melissa says:

Great News! :) I really enjoy this show, but PLEASE change the air time. Its against Fringe and Supernatural, which take precedent. I usually watch Grimm on Hulu.

12. Kay says:

LOVE THIS NEWS! Makes up for no new Grimm today. It has become must-see TV for me.

13. T says:

Grimm gets good ratings in its time slot and I think there are better odds at winning the lottery than at Fringe getting picked up for another season (sadly, as I’m a fan), so that’s one less thing to worry about. I just hope they don’t try to move it around because Grimm’s numbers for Friday nights are great, but Grimm on any other night? Cancelled.

14. Elyse says:

So happy! Grimm is a really good show! one of my favorites :)

15. jennifer says:

Congratulations are in order for all you Grimm fans out there! I just hope & pray (as a huge Fringe fan myself) that somehow Fringe also is renewed! I have not caught an episode of Grimm yet,but,now that it’s renewed-I may at least check it out.

16. arial says:

Such good news! Despite not being the stars, my favorites are Sasha Roiz (Captain Renard) and Silas Weir Mitchell (Monroe), though. A really good ensemble.

17. Renee says:

Yes!! Of my new shows this season Grimm And Person Of Interest made it. Sadly Terra Nova did not. (If NBC would pick up Terra Nova it could be a bright spot for them as well as the ratings were decent. Just saying.)

• Andrea9192 says:

You and I are on the same page! Grimm and POI are the best in a lot of years. I, too, am sad that Terra Nova didn’t make it:(.

18. Nick says:

Hope smash, & awake are renewed as well

19. Maggie says:

I’m so happy about this!! As a portlander (now living in CA) and a fan of GRIMM, I’m sp happy to know that i’ll continue get to have a little bit of home on my tv every week!!

• Nina says:

Hey, your hometown is beautiful! I never realized how amazing Portland looked unti I started watching Grimm. I want to visit there someday now.

20. Abby says:

Please not Harry’s Law. So horrible…my eyes…

21. Deena says:

Oh thank goodness. It seems every time I get hooked on a show it gets cancelled. For once NBC makes a good decision!

• Barb says:

Yay!! I agree every time I like a new show it goes away. And I love this show!

• Tina says:

Me, too. I REALLY like this show. I was worried, though. I really liked a show called “Roar”, too, long ago, and the network replaced it with some stupidity called Ally McBeal or something.

22. Jacquenette says:

Yes yes!! My family loves this show!

23. Dee says:

Love Monroe!

He is definitely my favorite character.

So polite and sophisticated. Loved when he was introducing himself to the girlfriend, showing better manners than the Grimm dude.

24. Cecelia says:

Great news! I’m really enjoying this show. It keeps getting better and developing the mythology and characters week to week. Glad that Nick and Monroe dynamics will continue and are not being broken up. Thanks for the good news.

25. Kristina says:

Yay!! Good for NBC, they got one right with this one :)

26. Nina says:

This news has definitely cheered me up! I love Grimm and I look forward to new eps later this month.
    Also, I know everyone loves Monroe but Nick is actually my favorite character. Nick is a much more quiet and subtle character. I enjoy his relative calm and control toward all the freaky stuff he has to deal with.

27. natalie says:

Great show……can’t wait for the new season to start

28. Liz says:

Thank you! Quite an imaginative series–which I am enjoying immensely.

29. tony says:

I’M SO ELATED!!! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for Officer Grimm! YES!!

30. jennifer says:

Awesome… Really like this show… Only bad thing is I have to watch it on demand or on nights Supernatural isn’t on… I really hope this show gets a long run…

31. Randy says:

Cool…but I do still miss The Playboy Club.

32. Ashley says:

Hooray! I love this show and the wonderful way it mixes procedural and urban fantasy elements.

33. Den says:

I’m so excited!!! Great news!!

34. YES! I will have a chance to act in some speaking roles on Grimm instead of just being in the creature crowd…This is my favorite show of all time!

35. angel says:

We LOVE this show! So glad it is coming back! My husband even downloaded all episodes to be sure we didnt miss one..We didnt! Each show just gets better and better! CSI meets spookville! :)

36. Judy says:

Excellent show, I look forward to watching Grimm on Friday nights to wind down from a tough work week. So happy to hear it’s been renewed for season 2, love the show…..keep up the good work, excellent writing,and actors

37. Cam says:

So happy!!!!! I love this show

38. Madison says:

When is Grimm going to come back?

39. s. says:

Yippee! This is Grimmtastic News! It’s such a fun show, thanks NBC.

40. Linda DeMeyer says:

Thank you for Season 2!!!! Love the fabulous stories and amazing makeup!!!!! Monroe just draws me into each scene! So nice to forget about the real world for 1 hour. Thanx!!

41. Carrie says:

Yay for Silas!!!!

42. James M. Holden says:

Grimm news indeed!! Is there a site that illustrates & provides biographies of the Grimm creatures?!! If so where?!!

43. Pamela says:

That is fantastic! I love this show! So happy one of my 3 favorite shows did not get canceled! Cheers for Grimm!

44. Tim says:

This show is really good. NBC came up with a very imaginative story and put together a great cast. It is so good to have real drama with real talented actors. A welcome change from this cheap reality crap that is so mindless and a waste of time. THANK YOU NBC Keep it going.

45. tuftsoftune says:

‘The Firm,’ which is an excellent show, did not crash and burn. The series launched on Thursday nights after NBC’s much vaunted two-hour string of comedies. As we all know, the Nielsen ratings system is a hopelessly flawed system that does not accurately quantify how many people are actually watching a given show. All it does is tell the industry how many people who have chosen to have a Nielsen box in their home are watching a given show. ‘The Firm’ had poor Nielsen numbers, because most people who have Nielsen boxes tend to like CBS’s blue-collar-slanted comedies, its endless iterations of forensic procedurals, and played-out reality shows like ‘American Idol’ and its derivative ‘The X Factor.’ If NBC cared so much about Nielsen numbers, why would they put a potentially good drama, like ‘The Firm’ or ‘Prime Suspect’ after two hours of underperforming comedies, according to Nielsen analysis. According to Nielsen, NBC’s much ballyhooed Thursday night comedies are barely watched either, and yet somehow NBC expects freshman dramas to perform “Nielsen well” after a two-hour lead-in of mediocre comedies. Why doesn’t NBC consider canceling some of these comedies?…Because many of them are fronted by SNL alum. And we all know that comedies fronted by SNL alums have to be great t.v., because the NY-based media tells us that the NY-based SNL is the greatest thing ever, right? Wrong. NBC, if you chose to be ruled by the outdated Nielsen rating system, please be: 1) smart and don’t put freshman dramas after two hours of underperforming (according to Nielsen’s own numbers) comedies, no matter how much you love said SNL-alum-fronted comedies; and 2) equally judicious and cancel those Thursday night comedies that perform equally as “Nielsen poorly” as ‘The Firm.’ ‘The Firm’ is an amazing thriller. It is well acted, the ensemble is tight, and the storylines are very interesting. I would love to see a crossover between ‘The Firm’ and ‘The Good Wife’ as both shows are smartly written, well-paced, and are populated by people that can actually act. I would love to see Mitch team up with Alicia and Ray team up with Kalinda. Americans are too easily guided by the Nielsen rating system. ‘Mad Men,’ ‘The Walking Dead,’ ‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘A Gifted Man,’ and ‘Breaking Bad’ are all incredible shows, but they will never be as “Nielsen popular” as the laugh-track dependent ‘Two and a Half Men’ and ‘The Big Bang Theory,’ perhaps because things aren’t exploding every two seconds and perhaps because they require thought, don’t insult the viewers’ intelligence, and aim to recreate life as much as possible so that in the end the viewers will actually care about the characters. Still, American t.v. is better served by having shows like the former rather than umpteen seasons of the latter. ‘The Amazing Race’ is not as “Nielsen popular” as ‘American Idol,’ but yet, it rightly has won a string of Emmys. The same can be said of ‘Mad Men,’ which only a few million Nielsen viewers watch every week. Americans, we need to unite and insist that Hollywood strive to put out good art and not be guided by a rating system that we all know is outdated and has made no attempt to catch up with the times.

• Bertha Blanchard says:

This is such a well thought out response. We need good scripted drama. Remember the demographic groups above 49 that are intelligent want shows that prompt thought and discussion. Let me add other well written dramas such as Magic City, Damages. Please keep these coming and don’t let Nielsen ratings rule the day!!!

46. Jeannie says:

Yay! I love Grimm. Like I said before I was so excited to find a show that is awesome and yet clean enough that I can watch with my kids. My 5yr old loves monroe. I hate that I have to wait so long for the next one. Come onnnn Grimm.

47. Sandrine says:

More Monroe for me!!!

48. Sergio says:

Ждём продолжения :) Great news!

49. Rita says:

We love Grimm! My daughter myself and even my husband! I’m disappointed when it’s a rerun but am excited it was picked up for another year. And many more to come I hope!