Secret Circle Boss on Blackwell's Intentions, Retribution for Charles' Crimes and More!

Secret Circle Season 1Daddy’s home! And not only is The Secret Circle‘s John Blackwell back, but he’s sticking around Chance Harbor to stir up a whole cauldronful of trouble — and maybe even bump somebody off? Executive producer Andrew Miller tells TVLine that, yes indeed, we’ll see a major character go bye-bye in tonight’s installment (The CW, 9/8c), and, scarier still, there will be “more after that”!

Also on tap for the new batch of episodes: There will penance for Charles, Ethan’s secrets will be revealed, and, of course, the Adam/Cassie/Jake love triangle will get “more complicated,” teases Miller.

Secret Circle Hot Shots: Once Upon a Time Prince Catches Diana’s Eye

TVLINE | Let’s start with romance. Where is Cassie’s heart at in the upcoming episodes with regard to Adam and Jake?
Cassie’s heart is with Adam right now. Her heart wants to be with Adam. His gesture on Valentine’s Day really pushed it in that direction for her. The only thing that’s stopping her post-Valentine’s is the reappearance of her father. Adam’s seeming mistrust of Blackwell has driven a wedge between them. When we pick them up [tonight], she wants to be with him. They both want to see if the “written in the stars” thing really means something. Adam is now far enough away from Diana that he can concentrate on Cassie. They want to make a go of it. It’s just that damn Blackwell.

TVLINE | There’s also Jake. Will he just stand idly by?
No, Jake does not stand idly by. His feelings for Cassie are just as they were, and he’s struggling. He had a dalliance with Faye that was probably more out his frustration over not being able to be with Cassie than it was [about] his desire to be with Faye. We’re going to see Jake make a little bit more of an effort toward Cassie. He takes this really interesting position, because whereas Adam mistrusts Blackwell, Jake responds very strongly toward Blackwell. That’s going to make things more complicated for their triangle.

TVLINE | Blackwell told Cassie that he’s more or less powerless. Should we take his word for it?
He seems very trustworthy to me. I don’t know what to tell you. He’s got very soulful eyes. He seems like he’s telling the truth. All I can tell you is he’s a complicated man, and his version of reality is unique and all his own. It’s hard to say what the future holds for John Blackwell. [Laughs]

TVLINE | What ramifications does Blackwell’s return have for Dawn, Charles and Ethan in light of their shared history?
For all the adults – and ultimately all the Elders – his return is a shock. [It's] not as much of a shock to Dawn, as we’ll find out in this next episode, but for everyone else, we’ll see — one by one — how they react to him. Like [for] the audience, the man who he appears to be is completely different from the monster they were expecting. That creates some confusion and knocks them all back a little. The idea of John Blackwell, even in death, it’s like the Boogie Man. The reality upon his return is so different. It’s very hard to reconcile those two things. You’re asking if he’s lying or not about his power, but the people who really have something to lose are much more interested in whether that’s true or not.

Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s John de Lancie Cast as Secret Elder

TVLINE | Blackwell does seem to have some beef with Ethan and the Conant family.
In the next episode, that’s going to be explored a lot. Ethan has some secrets that he and Charles alluded to that we’re going to dig up.

TVLINE | Does John Blackwell know that he has a second offspring?
I can’t answer that, much as I’d love to. But I promise that it’s a question that will be answered.

TVLINE | Is the identity of the other Blackwell child something you plan to reveal before the end of the season?
Oh yeah.

TVLINE | Charles did quite a number on Jane. He also killed Amelia and Nick, and no one really knows about it except for maybe Dawn. How long can he get away with it?
Not long! Not long at all. [Laughs] He’s like a ticking time bomb. His offenses are piling up, and they affect everybody. He’ll have to pay the piper very soon.

TVLINE | Will the circle and the adults start to catch on to each other?
Yes. As the story moves forward, they’ll have no choice. Out of necessity, one group [will find itself] turning to the other for help and out of desperation… Ultimately, their paths will cross. They each have their reasons for staying quiet about everything, and those reasons will become moot in a few episodes.

TVLINE | How are you feeling about the chances of a second season?
It’s so beyond my level of smartness that I can’t speak to it. We have an incredibly supportive network and studio. We’re all collectively very excited with how the show is moving forward. We’re just trying to keep making the best episodes we can and really fulfill and satisfy what our fans and characters need from the episodes. I’m hopeful, because I think we’re really putting together a good show. So hopefully people continue to watch it, and we’ll be around for many more years to come.

1. markoo says:

why do I got the feeling that Lee is going down tonight!? First I thought Dawn, but no she is to important to leave for now!

• Evie says:

i too was thinking Lee or Callum…i still feel though that Lee may still have some unfinished business to do yet..i just hope it’s not Charles or Jane..that would be just too much for Cassie to lose Jane so soon after her mother…cant wait for this episode tonite!!

• Anon says:

Hmm, if it’s Lee, then that means Faye is going to have Eva all to herself as she’s supposed to be in the next episode after.

I’m finding it so hard to think who can be killed off at this point because every character right now seems so vitally important. I’m anxious to find out yet scared at the same time!

Can’t wait for the episode tonight!!

• Cam says:

I was also thinking that it’s going to be Lee that kicks the bucket in this episode; but this article seems to imply that the death is caused by Blackwell and why would Blackwell want to kill Lee?

• Nicole says:

I’m thinking it could be Ethan – he’s a major character, he’s got major issues with Blackwell, and he’s got a ‘big secret’. If Cassie’s dad kills Adam’s dad (and even more, if it’s for a justifiable reason), that’s definitely going to complicate the love triangle.

2. Evie says:

im absolutely enthralled with this show!! just like TVD there is twists and turns in almost every episode!! I sure hope this show doesn’t get cancelled..that would be a travesty..

3. lauren says:

I actually can’t stand cassie or her relationship with adam. I’d much rather see the background characters, hopefully they can get some good story lines soon!

• Anon says:

You’re in luck, because that will be happening!

And for those who like Jake and Cassie more, it seems with Jake siding with Blackwell, that could draw them closer if it’s driving a wedge between Adam and Cassie so soon.

4. kat says:

i love cassie and jake! kills me to see jake brokenhearted :(.

5. iShivi says:

1. In another interview, the cast officially knows who the other child of Blackwell is, so that means we’ll be finding out very soon!! No latter than the 19th episode I think.

You have no idea how excited I got when I heard that Charles actions on killing Amelia and Nick will come to surface, and that the Circle and their parents will finally come to a collision course. I am sooo looking forward for that to happen finally. YES!

I am sooo excited, I love what I read from this interview! Things are coming to head now that Blackwell has returned and I pray and hope that the CW renews TSC for a 2nd season and many more to come!

6. sarah says:

I have a super bad feeling that Ethan (Adam Harrington) will be killed by John Blackwell. I love Adam Harrington and he is one of the reasons I watch this show even though he is not on each episode I always love it when he is one. Sadly however we all know it won’t be any of the circle and it wont be Charles or Dawn.

7. Michael says:

Adam is a mopey, wet blanket. He couldn’t be more annoying or inconsequential if he were written that way. Kill him off and make the show infinitely more watchable.

8. Lauren says:

CANNOT WAIT for tonight’s episode! The reaction of Dawn and Charles when they find out Blackwell is back in town will be soooooo epic!

#TeamBlackwell

9. Damongirl1026 says:

They turned Adam into a jealous douche. That is so not supposed to be his personallity. He is not suppose to be jealous of every guy who talks to Cassie. Nick was not suppose to die I hated that. I hope the love triangle with Cassie Jake and Adam lasts. She is not even suppose to be with Adam this early it is suppose to be nick she dates first but since that doesn’t happen I hope Adam does something and she goes to Jake and they date for a while. This show is pissing me off because they are killing people off and Jane is suppose to die so I hope it’s her and not anyone else in the circle that would officially piss me off.

10. Vampdiariesgirl1026 says:

They better not kill any of the parents off because they would officially kill the show if they do that. Jane is suppose to die and cassies father is the one who kills her.they changed so much from the show.I don’t really like what they’ve done but I like watching the show

11. Gerald says:

I am hoping Ethan gets to stick around. It has been bothering me that Adam Harrington is always listed as a guest star.

12. S Shelly says:

OK, I must have zoned out during a key scene. Does anybody know during which episode it was revealed that there is another Balcoin child. Missed it completely.

• Lauren says:

It was in ep. 9 “Balcoin” (I think thats the name). Isaac told Jake (when the dock was burning at the end) that there’s another Blackwell child within the circle

13. slyfox says:

The answer is pretty obvious, it’s Faye. The offspring is apart of the circle. It also increases the tension around the two enemies.

14. Cassie says:

I have enjoyed TSC so far. If anyone’s dying soon-GOOD LORD-I HOPE IT’S ADAM!! He has really become an extremely annoying pain in the ass. Pair Cassie up with anyone else,but,please not with this guy. The witches are the big stars of this show-so-it is unlikely one of them will die. Please,please,please let it be Adam-PLEASE!!!

15. shauna says:

I love Jake and caesura together,and what’s up with the dead birds after a long…loving night with Cass and Adam? Maybe it is the curse..and not so much destiny! I’m so excited to find out who Blackwell’s offspring is….bring it’

16. shauna says:

I ment cassie in the first line…my kindle fire is a pain’!!!!

17. Lynda says:

I like Adam and Cassie together – can’t stand Jake! It will be interesting to learn more about the curse.

18. Louwnelly says:

I love Adam and Cassie together!! I think there’s much more to their destiny!! Otherwise why would evil daddy want them apart so badly??
    Although Ep 17 had Cassie and Adam breakup there was a lot of key points! Like Adam being able to get Cassie not to use her Dark Magic??

And his promise to her, that he won’t forget their love “ Not for Long” (so excited to see how they come together again?? It’s like starting all over again..

I DON’T like Jake @ all….

19. Eleni says:

I cant understand why people get so upset about changes from the books..I also follow Vampire Diaries books n TV show and both are in totaly different storylines now..just means I get double the amount of story on some of my favourite characters…

I follow Pretty little liars n fans of the books n TV show like guessing at whats gonna be different and dont seem to get soo bent out of shape about it….
    Personaly, I like how writers write their stories n then like to see other interpretations of them either in book or fim..I might prefer some parts in one medium to the other but I find all interesting…