Ratings: Chelsea Plunges Hardest as Many Wednesday Shows Hit Lows

With overall TV usage down some 6 percent on the fourth night of Daylight Savings Time, NBC’s Are You There, Chelsea? fell the hardest, dropping 33 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo (to a 1.0) while shedding 20 percent of its total audience (drawing under 3 million).

Of course, lead-in Whitney (4 mil/1.4) did its sister show no favors, dropping 5 and 12 percent itself. Both Peacock comedies were at series lows.

In fact, all Wednesday sitcoms — save for Happy Endings, though that comes with a tiny asterisk — were down this week, matching or setting season lows in the demo. Let’s take a look, hour by hour….

8 pm | American Idol: America’s Most Wanted Edition averaged 17.9 million total viewers and a 5.3 rating, down just a few percentage points week-to-week. Survivor, at 10.3 mil and a 2.9, dipped 4 and 9 percent. ABC’s The Middle (7 mil/2.1, down 19 percent) and Suburgatory (6.3 mil/2.1, down 9 percent) both were at season lows in the demo. One Tree Hill held steady at 1.5 mil/0.7.

9 pm | Criminal Minds (11.33 mil/2.8) slipped 10 percent to a series-low demo. Modern Family (10.5 mil/4.4) dipped 8 percent to a season low; Happy Endings (5.5 mil/2.4) was up 20 percent week-to-week but down 11 percent in the demo from its last pairing with an original Modern Family. Top Model toppled 21 and 17 percent, mustering barely a million viewers while scraping together a 0.5 rating.

10 pm | CSI (I would sure hope so!) dominated the hour, drawing 11.5 million total viewers and a 2.7 rating, up a few percentage points. (According to Revenge for Real [groan] host Chris Cuomo, the real Revenge returns from its mini-hiatus on April 11.)

For those not outside playing flag football with crazy Uncle Ned, what were you tuned into this Wednesday evening?

1. Jimmy says:

Chelsea is a horrible series. It’s not surprising no one is watching. The writing is bad, the acting is horrible, and it just isn’t funny. Whitney is no better; in fact, it’s worse.

• Sean says:

Chelsea sucks.

Whitney is hilarious. I really don’t know why everyone hates on that show so much. Particularly in the guise or praising 2 Broke Girls…which is good, but far from great or original. I actually prefer Whitney.

But yes, Chelsea blows.

• CJ says:

Whitney has evolved into a really great show. I like 2 Broke Girls as well but I think that of the two Whitney Cummings ventures, her self-titled show is much better, and the humor is much more nuanced.

• DL says:

I watched the first five or so episodes of Whitney and was less than enthused. Around what episode do you feel it starts to improve?

• KwadGuy says:

Whitney is my favorite comedy on TV, bar none. The first episode was HORRIBLE (hideous laugh track and not very funny), and I think that many people never got past that. But I think beyond that it has been a really funny, really smart, show.

I wonder how many of the haters have actually watched more than the first episode.

I hope it gets renewed.

• KwadGuy says:

…oh, and I should have added that Chelsea is a flaming pile of crap…not funny, not clever…Though Chelsea Handler’s appearance on Whitney as a psychologist was pretty good.

• Josephina says:

Whitney is a disgrace to the people of The United States. HORRIBLE writing, and acting. I don’t know how anyone involved in this series can look themselves in the mirror.

• Sawyer says:

With all due respect, you don’t know what you’re talking about. You must be watching something else cause you’re sure not talking about ‘Whitney’.

• Danielle H says:

I dunno, you just have to take it for what it is: gross out, dumb comedy. So it’s a mindless 30 minutes? There’s not a ton wrong with that. I like it.

2. ScrubsGuy says:

This has me worried about Community. Why did they have to bring it back right after the time shift?

3. Dan says:

Glad Happy Endings was up (kinda)… it was HILARIOUS late night. Seriously… you NEED to be watching this show.

4. bad kevin says:

Think it’s time NBC cancels CHELSEA & WHITNEY for good ’cause their two of the worst and I mean the worst new sitcoms of the year. :( :(

• Erin says:

“’cause their two of the worst and I mean the worst new sitcoms of the year”

I’m assuming you never saw “Man Up” then? You’re right about Chelsea; it’s terrible. However, Whitney has gotten much better than it was when it first started. I actually really enjoy it now. (AND IT’S ‘THEY’RE’, NOT ‘THEIR’)

• Kingmose1 says:

I hate it for Laura Prepon, who I like, but Chelsea is really bad. Whitney on the other hand is quite amusing at times.

5. annabelle says:

Love all ABC sitcoms on Wednesday, DVR them all! BUT I think since last week were repeats of all but Happy Endings, people must have thought with basketball this week those would be repeats last night as well…RIP Chelsea & Whitney – can’t believe NBC shelved Community when it could have replaced both of those shows!!!!

Wednesday is ABC’s night…NBC should not try comedies on this night of the week, they will ALWAYS fail, sorry!

6. KS Winchester says:

@Matt Webb Mitovich

Can you explain why there is a huge dip in ratings since Sunday. Big shows like Modern Family has also seen lows. Why this steep fall and more surprisingly starting with this Sunday ratings?

7. Bear75 says:

Probably because the networks keep messing about with the scheduling with loads of repeats on the last few wks, instead of new eps… that, and Laura Prepon has the charisma of a turnip… :-) x

8. Alice says:

Loved Happy Endings, Suburgatory, and Modern Family. Not watching The Middle anymore. I just can’t root for their mom after Heaton’s bullying behavior.

9. juan says:

I’m so sick of DLS and hearing that all the shows are at lows

10. Rock Golf says:

Are You There, Chelsea? It’s Me, Cancellation.

11. Little Scarf Girl says:

I like Laura Prepon from That 70’s Show and her guest spots on HIMYM, but Chelsea is a horrible show! It’s no wonder it’s doing so poorly. And I feel like Happy Endings might do better somewhere else on ABC’s schedule. It doesn’t really fit with all the other shows on that night, which are more “family”-themed shows.

12. Brad says:

I have to say that I was rooting for Chelsea and Whitney to win out. Whitney has evolved to a completely different show which is amazing. I mean it was great but with the breakup of Neal and Lily and the chemistry of the cast, I love this show. The biggest problem is that somehow it is leaked online to various sites in Tuesday nights. I think the biggest problem is no one watches tv anymore I don’t even own one, I watch everything online.

That being said, Chelsea had insane potential. But, and as much as it pains me to say, Laura Prepon was the worst choice. The casting in the show sucks. Poor Chelsea Handler. She is being shown up by Whitney Cummings, who came from her round table.

13. Gerald says:

One Tree Hill was crazy good last night. Between Brooke being attacked and Dan and his posse going after Nathan. I couldn’t believe how much was happening. They are doing the fans justice with these final episodes. Can’t wait for next week.

• Brad says:

OTH was INSANE last night!! SOOOOOO Goood!I cannot believe no one is talking about it :( I mean Dan Scott was maybe killed!!

14. postman says:

whitney has turned into a good show but because they love christina applegate they will rennew her sho instead which is horrible

15. barbara says:

Psych! the most juvenile, intelligent, and witty show ever

16. Matt says:

Ya but the showw is getting funnier as it ages remember that Patricia heaton isn’t the writer of the show so nothing she says can even affect the comedy

17. Eric says:

‘Whitney’ and ‘Chelsea’ started off the night for me, with ABC programs for the remainder. Having not watched ‘Whitney’ since an early episode, I was quite pleased to see how far it’s come. ‘Chelsea’ is more of an innocuous diversion than anything else, but it could be way better.

18. JenInChicago says:

It’s the weather! Why do some think it’s the time change? That extra hour only has daylight lasting here until 6:45ish – I really don’t think that’s causing the dip – regardless of what the stats for previous years show. I live in Chicago and everyone has been out and about all week. I haven’t watched a single TV show live – I DVR’d them all and haven’t even attempted to watch any…I don’t plan to for a few more days!

19. Nic says:

I actually like Whitney a lot. I think it is funny and the boyfriend Alex makes me laugh as do all the characters. In my opinion it is better then 2 Broke Girls and hope it doesn’t get canceled.

• Adelaide says:

Totally agree with you…love Alex and the show! Before they premiered, I was looking forward to Two Broke Girls because of Kat Dennings and hadn’t even heard of Whitney. After trying Two Broke girls for 4 episodes, I couldn’t stomach all the crude jokes and stereotypes. I shut it off when it comes on now. I had no expectations for Whitney but now love it more with each episode. I can’t understand why 2BG became so popular and people are hating on Whitney. Go figure…

20. Angela says:

Haha, I liked your alternate title for “American Idol”. Ain’t that the truth.

21. The Squatch says:

I enjoy the show Whitney, but last night’s episode caught me a bit off guard. Neal is suddenly gay? Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with the show having a gay character, but that just sort of came out of nowhere. Was there ever even a hint that he might be gay? To be honest, I figured we were only a week or two from the episode when he and Lily reconcile and get back together and then… he’s gay.

Again, don’t really have a problem with the gay part so much as the fact that the whole thing just seemed really forced.

22. Todd says:

Whitney has really evolved into a funny, endearing sitcom. Haters need to give it another chance! The characters are finally gelling and the relationship between Whitney and Alex is hilarious, and in many instances, fraught with real emotion. Whitney Cummings sweet? Who would have thought? I am loving the show now – hope it’s renewed so it can grow stronger (like Seinfeld did).