Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Look Who's Playing Puck's Dad!

Thomas Calabro GleeSorry, Mr. T. You can stop grooming your mohawk now, because the role of Puck’s father on Glee has finally been cast, and you didn’t get it. Who did?

TVLine is happy to exclusively report that Melrose Place vet Thomas Calabro will play the estranged father of Mark Salling‘s underachiever in this season’s 18th episode, which is slated to air in April.

Puck’s mom, as played by Gina Hecht, was introduced in the Season 1 episode “Mash-Up.”

Glee in Season 4: 12 Predictions to Keep the Show Thriving Beyond Graduation!

Family reunions have been a major theme of Glee‘s third season, during which we’ve met the parents of Rachel, Mike, Sam and Emma. And when the show returns from its seven-week hiatus on April 10, Matt Bomer will debut as Blaine’s older brother, Cooper Anderson.

Thoughts? Do you see a family resemblance? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive

1. mile says:

yeey so excited. I love Puck/Mark Salling, nice to see he is going to have a storyline. Don´t really know the actor tho.

2. J says:

MICHAEL!!!!!!!

3. Laura says:

Okay then so were getting Puck’s Dad can we now get Mercedes, Tina, Artie and Brittany’s parents now too?! He doesn’t look like him by the way!!

4. Jon says:

Cooper Anderson – HA! Love the name.

5. Nikko says:

This show blows. When are they going to cast Gloria Estefan as Santana’s mom? Poor Gloria, they treat her as a glorified extra.

This season needs to die a very quick dead, once and for all.

• Caitlin says:

You mean, when is she going to appear as she was already cast. And if that’s the only reason why you think this season should be over quick, then that’s a very bad reason.

• Nikko says:

If you don’t think awful, subpar writing, bad lightning, terrible editing, lack of continuity -among others- aren’t reasons enough for this season to end, well, then we must be watching a different show. Because Gloria not showing up is just a minor detail among the cr*pfest that Glee is.

I’ll be here waiting till Lea, Naya and Heather leave this show so I can stop watching. Because them? Are the only reason I still watch.

• Sephina says:

Its bad every knows it, thats why we love it

• Adriana says:

I understand you watching the show because of Lea and Naya, but Heather? Really?

• Disappointed Gleek says:

Nikko, you are so darn right. The writing’s irksome, the editing’s sloppy, some scenes too dark to appreciate details, etc. As for me, I am only watching in hopes to see Tina get a solo (I know Jenna Ushkowitz has been recording) and to feast on Mark Salling hotness. Used to love Lea Michele, but her character has been so utterly irritating that I cannot really stomach her performances. And her acting hasn’t been what it used to be. I guess, Lea’s struggling with the awful scripts she’s getting. Oh, well… Maybe I should stop watching altogether! :)

6. Sean says:

I think Thomas Colabro is a great choice for Puck’s father, especially how well Thomas played Dr. Michael Mancini on “Melrose Place” (the original series; I haven’t seen the remake, so I can’t really say anything). :-D

• Tom Scott says:

Yeah, loved the original Melrose Place so much that I scheduled college classes to have that night off. The new MP was, well let’s say that even Ashley Simpson didn’t last the first season.

7. so says:

Still no news on Gloria as Santana’s mom?

Glad for Puck. I think his relationship (or lack thereof) with his father is good unexplored territory.

• Me says:

Does that mean we might get Santana and Puck singing “Read All About It” by Professor Green and Emeli Sande? *fingers crossed*

8. Ashley says:

9. Karol says:

Should have been Robbie Williams!

• Sephina says:

Agree a thousand percent

• Pepper says:

Would have been quite curious considering the 8 year age gap.

• Angela says:

Agree on that point (and the fact that Robbie’s British would make for an interesting possible storyline)…but YES! Robbie Williams! I’d been trying for the longest time to figure out who it is Puck reminds me of, and that’s who. Thank you!

10. Pooky says:

Gloria Estefan was announced months ago to play Santana’s mom and we still know nothing about when she’ll be on the show, if she ever will.
    We already get to see Blaine’s brother before all the people who are original members of the Glee Club. This is ridiculous, the writers of Glee keep only caring about their male characters while the girls get screwed over in favor of yet another pointless storyline.

• Ruth says:

I´m also waiting for Gloria Estefan, but seriously, Santana had a lot of screentime this season (I really didn´t like how they write the I kissed a girl episode tho). I don´t mind seeing Puck and Blaine getting a little character development.

• Pooky says:

Blaine is a junior who will have his senior year to have a focus on. They should give a resolution to Santana’s storyline to make it up for how they wrote her outing/coming out episode.
        I mean, she came out to their parent off screen, for crying out loud. They would have never let Kurt come out in between takes.
        I am happy about getting to know Puck’s father, even tho I don’t really see how necessary it is, it annoys me that it’s been three month since they announced the casting of Gloria Estefan, and to this day we know nothing about her. But they have no problem casting Blaine’s brother and giving him the long awaited episode after the hiatus.

• Elizabeth says:

Hasn’t Blaine had literally half the screen time and half the solos of everyone on Glee on this season? I’d like for Tina to actually speak/sing (besides defending Finchel, lol) and for Mercedes to get some character development that doesn’t revolve around Sam. Rachel should sing more solos (Lea Michele’s voice is amazing), although her character development at this point is terrible. Brittany barely speaks as well, bar the occasional random comment. Definitely agreed that the girls get screwed over in storylines.

• finnick says:

He’s had songs but little else in the way of screentime. Probably the same amount as Sam or Finn or Brittany. i.e. being the BETA half of whatever couple is happening at the moment.

• Ana says:

Can’t disagree with this logic. Glee is skirting suspiciously misogynistic waters…

• Adriana says:

I don’t remember Gloria Estefan being confirmed to appear on the show. I just remember reading an article saying they were in conversations or something and this article also talked about Ricky Martin’s possibility of appearance on the show as well.

• Sean C. says:

No, she was confirmed. She’s tweeted about it a ton.

• Adriana says:

Wow. Well, then. I guess all we can expect is more of Santana. This is like “the Santana season”. Bunch of solos, singing in every group number, can’t forget her bullying, although she’s gotten better after she came out.

11. Lorie says:

Excellent choice!

12. Raphael says:

When is Gloria Estefan gonna be on the show?! Did they send her in the room of forgotten plots?

13. LC says:

What ever happened to Gloria Estefan?! Or are females not allowed to have storylines together on Glee unless a guy enters the picture?

14. M says:

i was expecting him to have a mohawk too :(

15. Ana says:

When are we going to see Gloria Estefan????

16. Emma says:

Gloria Estefan probably won’t be on the show at all, it was just their way to make the fans stop complaining about how horribly offensive the “I Kissed A Girl” episode was.
    Gloria said it herself that she doesn’t know when she’ll be on set, and they are only 5 episodes left to film. They should just announce that they dropped the storyline regarding Santana so they could have more focus on a character who’s had more than enough screentime and songs in the first 8 episodes of the season, when there are people like Brittany or Tina who haven’t spoke a word or gotten a storyline since forever.

17. lea says:

yess!!! so happy!! finally some puck development!!!

• yep says:

I’ll it that from the mountains. Love Puck. He had so much positive character growth s2. But took a nose dive to outlandish story telling(Puck/Shelby)s3.

• yep says:

Sorry, computer messes up at times. I’ll scream that same comment from the mountains. Love Puck. He deserves a real storyline.

18. Sunny says:

I thought Brittany’s parents were gonna be introduced… it would make sense, with Rory and all…

I doubt they’ll introduce Rory’s parents, ever, because a) they’re in Ireland, and b) unless they want another parent-locker-picture-fail like they had with Rachel’s dads, they’d technically be casting Damo’s actual parents, since the pics they have in Rory’s locker are legit Damo and family pics.

• carolyne says:

thank you Sunny. I thought I was all alone upset over Damian. He’s great–use him . where are his fans?

• Adriana says:

I like Damian too, but since everybody’s getting upset because their favorites don’t get enough screen time I can only imagine how upset they’ll be when they see that a guy who was only supposed to be on Glee for 7 episodes has taken over the show. I feel bad for the writers of the show. I really love Glee, no matter how they write it, I wouldn’t stop watching it, but seriously, the so-called Gleeks or Glee fans, especially those who only watch to criticize as if they had any right or authority (writing knowledge) get me so disappointed.

19. Aims says:

It’s about time Glee gave Mark Salling a proper story line, especially considering Puck and his father issues have been around since season one. I’ve been hoping to see Puck’s dad for the longest time, but instead there was the ridiculous Quick revisiting (if you can call their interactions a revisiting) and the even more ridiculous Shelby sex debacle, which is undoubtedly the worst story line Glee ever decided to go with (with the exception Finn and Rachel’s wedding, of course).

Seeing Puck with Beth was a highlight of his (shortened) story, but it seemed like it was only formed for Quinn. Much like they did in season one after they revealed Finn wasn’t the father, the moment Quinn’s story was wrapped, Glee forgot all about Puck. It seems as though Glee only gave Puck focus over the seasons in order to push other characters’ stories, then conveniently never mentioning what happens once he served their purpose.

I’m glad Glee is finally giving Mark the chance to portray Puck as something other than the person who makes jokes and sleeps around. Mark is an amazing talent on the show and he’s managed to take what little Glee gives him and turn Puck into one of the more developed characters on the show. Here’s to hoping the show does this story with the respect it deserves!

• Kelly says:

Are you for real right now? Saying that the storyline about Beth was about Quinn is ridiculous. Puck was made the hero in that storyline, the bad guy with a heart of gold who anyone would want as father of their children. At the same time, Quinn was shown to be a psychotic and selfish bitch who needed a big and strong man to tell her she was insane.
      Sometimes I wonder what show some people are watching.

• Aims says:

Except that that story started and ended with Quinn. It revolved around Quinn, her struggles and her inevitably coming out of it stronger. I wonder what show you’re watching or if you’re only seeing it from Quinn’s POV.

The second Quinn spoke to Shelby and Rachel at Sectionals and resolved it, she got her story wrapped up in a nice bow and was even handed getting into Yale while she was at it. Now take that and compare it to Puck. Once Quinn’s story was completed and she no longer needed Shelby, Shelby disappeared. Hero or not of Quinn’s story, Glee didn’t care for Puck’s development past helping Quinn. Once her story was over there was absolutely no sign of what happened to Puck’s connection to Beth or even any resolution to the drama that could have started after him and Shelby.

This is exactly what happened after Finn was revealed not to be the father in season one. What happened to Puck once Finn was relieved of his drama with Quinn? Nothing. There was hardly any mention of his struggles with Beth, despite the show constantly showing us Finn’s and Quinn’s problems. Puck was prominent in that story line up until the moment he wasn’t needed. It’s the same with the story this season.

Maybe you should take a closer look at how easily Glee drops Puck once he’s done propping up the other characters, because if you did you’d see that almost NONE of his stories get resolved.

• Sara says:

But by the end of the storyline, Quinn came out of it a hero, turned herself around, and got closure with Beth and an apology from Shelby. Puck got no resolution whatsoever with Shelby and he’s the one who bonded with Beth, but we have no idea what happened with them or if Puck is still in touch with the daughter he spent several episodes bonding with and never wanted to give up in the first place. But Puck’s feelings didn’t matter at all. Once Quinn’s part of the story was over, Puck’s part was dropped with no closure and no follow up.

• Disappointed Gleek says:

Hey, Aims! Loved what you wrote! I’ve always maintained Mark Salling is one of the most underappreciated actors on the show and he’s managed to work wonders with the crappy stuff he gets on the show.

20. Meg says:

I see more of a family resemblance to Ausiello than to Mark Salling. Weird?

21. Claire says:

i thought robbie williams would have been perfect..but thomas calabro seems like a good choice.. so excited.

22. akex says:

So good I luv puck but we need to bring in Gloria as Santana’s mum I wud luv it!!!

23. Bridge says:

They DEFINITELY look like father and son. You can see it in the nose!

24. Me says:

We did see Tina’s father or have I made that up?

• Sarah says:

You made that up. Or rather, we saw Tina talking to Mike’s father in her one episodes where she had multiple lines this season, in which her storyline revolved entirely around her boyfriend. You may have noticed also that Glee spent a lot of narrative time building in a excuse for Darren to be absent for, all told, a little more than an episode, but Tina was missing for the entirety of an episode and we were just not supposed to notice.

• bamabunny says:

True, but at least they addressed it in the first scene of On My Way when Sebastian mentioned her being sick (“bird flu or whatever Tina had”). I’m still holding out hope that they are simply saving her big storyline for Season Four since she’ll be a senior.

25. MistyV76 says:

I love this, this guy used to play on the original Melrose Place. I never missed that show. He is a quality actor, nice to see that he is going to be on Glee.

26. Jaime says:

Are they ever going to show Mercedes family?

27. krys says:

Thats rude. this season is great.

28. jose adan victoria arce says:

:D

29. Lyon Reese says:

We actually met Rachel’s Dad at the beginning of season 1, but GLEE decided to blow those actors off after the show exploded :[

• um says:

We saw a photo set of them, and I believe they weren’t even actors, just random people picked for their appearance. One of the first instances of a lack of long-term planning by Glee.

30. Ryan says:

You all need lives. Quit wasting your time obsessing over television and go do some good in the world before you die.

31. mshort says:

The people complaining about not seeing Santanas mom… Didn’t they already show her in the episode where santana came out to her grandma ?? then her grandma told her to get out of the house ??

• Mhkl says:

Do you really think all this people would ask to see Santana’s mom if we already saw her?
      She came out to their parents of screen and then updated the Glee Club.
      “Update y’all, I came out to my parents last night and they’re actually ok with it.”

• Sean C. says:

No, we did not see Santana’s mom. That would have suggested that the story of Santana’s coming out was actually about Santana, when in fact the writers wrote the story about Finn. Anything that wasn’t related to Finn (her parents, her girlfriend, her own POV) we didn’t see.

32. Trish says:

Really????!!!! There r plenty other programs for u to watch, leave us “Gleeks ” to enjoy ourselves!!! Thx (-:

33. GRACE says:

Finally! It’s been so long since they’ve given mark some decent storylines.This is so great! I’m really excited to see how this all plays out.

34. alvnjsph says:

It made me laugh more when you said that Matt Bomer’s character would be named, Cooper Anderson. :P

35. Alexa says:

About time! I can’t wait!

36. selena says:

I think they need to focus on the girls too. I wanna know more about Tina, Santanna, and Mercedes backgrounds… Granted Santanna had the sneak peak with her grandmother in the episode where she came out of the closet but stop neglecting the females whilst focusing on the boys! I loved seeing Jeff Goldblum as one of Rachel’s dad’s that was epic i love Jeff lol

37. Rachel says:

Santana has had tons of story development this season so stop whining. Glee announces guest stars all the time that never materialize. I’m happy that my favorite character (and the only reason I still watch this horrible show) is getting to deal with his daddy issues. He needs it after all he’s been through these past three seasons. YAY for Puck’s dad!

• Sean C. says:

Santana has not had tons of story development this season. She’s sung a lot, but the episode that was supposed to be about her was made all about Finn, with only a single scene from her POV. The writers announced Gloria’s appearance the day after as the massive backlash against that offensive plot became apparent, and have since singularly not followed through. There hasn’t been a single line of followup.

• Sarah says:

More than just the fact that it was all about Finn, the issue is that Finn deliberately outed Santana in a crowded hallway and in the next episode went on to force her to celebrate her “gayness” with his straight, male, white, privileged self and the glee club that repeatedly rejected her, because he was afraid that she was going to commit suicide, something that she had never even shown the slightest inclination towards. In the end, the basically had her thank him, which sends the very clear message that if you say mean things and are a girl, you deserve to be outed. This message was only reinforced later in the season when Dave Karofsky was outed, which was so traumatizing that he attempted suicide. The only continuity on Glee is their consistent portrayal of their male characters as heroes and their female characters as lost lambs who need the male characters to herd them along the correct path.

38. Olivia says:

What channel is glee on now?? :)

39. Scarlet Anderson says:

Matt bomer Is A Really Great Choice For Blaine’s Older Brother.I Do See A Resembalance They Are Both Good-Looking ;)

40. cassie says:

Ahhh!! Can’t wait!! Loved Thomas C. on Melrose Place!!!

41. Kara says:

What about Mercedes? Did they ever give us Mercedes parent(s)? I think Jill Scott should play her mother I see a resemblance there and it would be nice to see a duet with them together. I think Robbie Williams would have been the better choice too.

42. Caitlin says:

That’s nice – it’ll be nice to know a little more about Puck’s family. To date, the only thing we know about his home life is from a very quick flashback way back in season 1.

43. bob says:

Robbie Williams..nothing against Thomas but Robbie has the attitude oh well Cooper Anderson/Matt Bomer will make it well worth the wait.

44. uhuu says:

We see her grandma not her mom, and let’s be honest see her parents reactions to the fact that her daughter is a lesbian is a lot more important that see her grandma’s

• fiona says:

But the thing is santana said that her parents accepted her wholeheartedly while her grandmother who she loves dearly did not and pretty much disowned her when she heard the news.

45. Bea says:

He played the same character on Melrose 2.0.

46. Shana says:

Robbie Williams would have been a perfect choice. They look so much alike.

47. LMAO says:

Lol, this guy looks like he could be Salling’s brother, not his dad.

48. Becca. says:

Excuse me, glee is the best show in the world. So you should get your head out of your ass and watch it sometimes.

49. Andrew says:

I loved Melrose Place (and Thomas), but Grant Show would’ve been a better fit.

50. Rob says:

More stories about male characters. Because Glee’s lacking in that department.
    How about Brittany, who has gone mute this season? And Tina, is she still in the Glee Club?