Ratings: Fashion Star No Runway Success With Sub-Parenthood Numbers, New Girl Hits Low

NBC’s Fashion Star hit the runway on Tuesday night with an average 90-minute premiere audience of 4.55 million total viewers, while scoring a 1.6 demo rating.

In the 10 o’clock hour, at least, that gave the Peacock a demo win, though the total audience fell way shy of what Body of Proof and an Unforgettable repeat put on the board. Plus, Fashion Star‘s numbers were below Parenthood‘s final two outings. (Look at me rouse the rabble!) The new reality competition also shed 20 percent of its Biggest Loser lead-in.

Elsewhere, as the Daylight Savings Time doldrums continue on, both The River (4.1 mil/1.3) and New Girl (5.7 mil/2.7) slipped double digits in the demo to all-time lows. Cougar Town (4.41 mil/1.4) gained a few eyeballs and matched Body of Proof as ABC’s highest-rated show for the night, but nonetheless dipped a tenth in the demo to a new low. Stop playing Frisbee until 9 o’clock, America!

CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSIs Left Up In the Air

A few other notes:

* An NCIS repeat led Tuesday in total viewers (with 12.7 mil), while New Girl netted the best demo rating (2.7).

* Among other Fox comedies, Raising Hope (4.3 mil/1.8) dropped 14 percent in the demo, Teenage Daughter (3.5 mil/1.3) plunged 19 percent and Breaking In at 9:30 pm (3.47 mil/1.5) was down 12 percent from its Season 2 premiere.

* The CW’s 90210 (1.2 ml/0.6) slipped a tenth in the demo, as did Ringer (1.1 mil/0.4).

* Facing a CBS repeat and NBC’s Fashion Star, Body of Proof (7.3 mil/1.4) gained a few eyeballs and held steady in the demo yet barely eked out a win in total viewers.

1. Michael says:

Daylight Savings Time is kicking Television’s butt. What is going on?

• Ann says:

I don’t think it’s just the time change. I think it’s because the time change happens to coincide with Spring Break for a lot of college kids, so families are out of town or doing other things. I expect the numbers to get back to number in a week, when schools are done with Spring Break.

• Ann says:

Oops. I meant, I expect the numbers to get back to normal after Spring Break is done. College and school-aged kids and families will be back to normal routines.

• Joseph says:

Don’t you dare blame DST in the mess that is Fashion Star, which is hands down the worst piece of programming presented in the 2011 / 2012 season.
      Fashion Star has even less entertainment value then the worst badly produced weekend infomerical.

I predict a drops of at least 20% in both the demo and audience next week.

2. P says:

I think the problem isn’t that demo is low, but rather the way they are measured. why can’t network get their act together and find a better way to track numbers rather than relying on Nielsen’s outdated and incomprehensible method?

• TV Gord says:

People have been griping about the Neilsen ratings since the 60s, so don’t expect a groundswell of support to something we’ve been hearing for decades. The reality is as long as advertisers are satisfied with this system, this is the system.

• Holly says:

Yeah, probably. But it’s going to bring down network t.v., you know. When networks don’t get any credit whatsoever for DVR viewers or On Demand viewers or Internet viewers, it spells the end of network television, IMO.

• liddad says:

I don’t live in the US, but in the UK, they put unskippable 30-second ad breaks into the original intended places. I’m not sure if they do that in the US, but if they did, a few of those bubble shows might make the cut more often.

• Ari says:

I think now there is a legit reason as to why the Nielsons suck. How people watch tv has changed but the ratings system really hasn’t. They’ve updated it as little as possible.

3. Mika says:

Seems to me that ABC’s Tuesday lineup needs a complete overhaul. Hopefully the DWTS Results show picks up things for them.

Looks like Courtney should be eyeing a Friends reunion show since it is obviously bye bye to Cougartown.

4. rob60990 says:

Cougar Town still dropping? :D

5. Anna says:

Could it be that NBC has overestimated the appeal of Nicole Richie and Jessica Simpson?

• B says:

I’ll go with NBC just overestimating the appeal of…just about anything on NBC, other than…what, the Voice? Isn’t that the only show that actually gets top tier numbers these days?

6. Ed says:

This sucks for Ringer, last nights episode was my favorite thus far.

7. jennifer says:

Fashion Star-really? I mean who wants to see that? Looks like Cougar Town won’t be around much longer. Hopefully the stench of The River can be washed away. I have actually enjoyed Ringer,but, a 0.4 in the demo seriously? I know this is the CW-where almost everything is considered a “hit” according to their standards ,but, seriously a 0.4. Anyway if Ringer is not renewed- at least have an epic series finale. Thank you.

8. maj says:

We are hitting record temperatures for March – been 80 degrees all week in the midwest. Hard to get people to stay in and watch TV and this is coming from a TV junkie in love with DVR.

9. Rachel says:

Saw Fashion Star on DVR, and I actually really like it. I hope its numbers go up, because it’s a pretty interesting concept. (Although if it’s that or Parenthood, there’s no competition, NBC has to keep Parenthood!!!)

10. TV Gord says:

I hope this bodes well for Parenthood. It’s not often that you hear of a reality show doing worse than a scripted show (in my recollection, anyway).

Jessica Simpson shot herself in the foot by over-exposing herself on the talk show circuit over the past couple of days. That, along with the magazine cover, she quickly became annoying all over again. She should have let the mystery around where she’s been and how she looks lure people into watching Fashion Star. Instead, she did Leno and Ellen and umpteen of those pseudo-entertainment shows and there was no reason to tune into the show.

Also, the way she and Elle Macpherson (also on the talk show circuit) pushed how you could buy the designers’ clothes right away made the whole thing sound like an infomercial. We gullible TV viewers don’t get sucked into THOSE until after 3am. ;-)

11. kevin says:

Ringer may get canceled soon heading towards its finale on April 17th. Really don’t know if 90210 would be back for a Season Five and I hope ABC better pulled the plug on THE RIVER. :(

12. AJ says:

Not sure why NBC thought a clothing design show would be successful on network TV. Yes, Project Runway has been successful first on NBC owned Bravo and now Lifetime, but those numbers are no where near network worthy numbers. And PR is about 10 years old. NBC just continues its downward spiral.

• Ari says:

I watch Fashion Star. I don’t even know what the point of the show is. There are a bunch of designers and then Jessica Simpson, Nicole Ritchie and some guy “judge” the clothes that designers send down a runway. Then buyers from H&M, Saks and MAcy’s make offers to buy them (or no offers). I am not sure what the point is. I don’t know why they have judges and buyers when the buyers are essentially judging them too. It seemed like the kind of fashion show some sorority girls throw together as their charitable work for the semester.

13. Taylor says:

I actually wanted to watch this, but didn’t pay attention to when it was airing. I thought it was a long way away and for some reason thought it’d be paired Monday with The Voice since they show ads for it a LOT during that time. oh well, I’ll catch it on the interwebz.

14. sarah says:

Take that NBC stop messing with Parenthood GIVE IT a full season order already! With Fashion Star tanking and The Firm most likely being cancelled and I have a feeling Awake and Smash will meet the same fate even though I like them both, and the Office sucking you should really keep shows that have fans!!!!

15. heather says:

I recorded fashion star to my DVR, haven’t watched yet. I tuned in to watch The River

• seattlejohn449 says:

FASHION STAR: the pitifully unholy offspring of the shopping channel with the gameshow network (without even a Howie Mandell for an infusion of personality)…much much scarier than The River’s zombies…hit your dvr’s delete and run for your life and hope Jessica Shoppingghoul doesn’t abscond with your brain

16. Cameron says:

Very glad to hear The Fashion Star flopped.

17. S says:

Omg I loved Ringer last night. Love SMG.

18. Danielle H says:

It seems like less people are watching TV overall. Feb sweeps were REALLY low too. I can see why, I have so few shows on my season pass list that it’s sad. We need new fare!

19. ronald says:

Goooo cougar town. Only dropped by a little!!