Exclusive

NCIS Exclusive: Friday Night Lights Alum Gaius Charles Scores Scorching Role as Tony's [Spoiler]

Gaius Charles NCISGaius Charles has landed a (literally) hot new gig on CBS’ NCIS, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Friday Night Lights MVP has been cast in the potentially recurring role of Jason, a charming, likable and keenly intelligent Baltimore native whom Tony (Michael Weatherly) saved from a fire years ago. Now an arson investigator and still haunted by the death of a family member years ago, Jason is driven — perhaps too far — to do his best work and try to save as many lives as he can.

This “kid from Baltimore” was most recently and vaguely alluded to in the Season 9 premiere, spurring much speculation among the top drama’s many fans about his ties to Tony.

“Many of the people involved with NCIS were big Friday Night Lights fans, so having Gaius join us is a genuine pleasure,” exec producer Gary Glasberg tells TVLine. “We are thrilled to have on board and look forward to everything he brings to the role.”

Charles, who experienced a bit of a career lull following FNL while he pursued a graduate degree in theology, recently guest-starred as a love interest for Margot Robbie’s Laura on ABC’s Pan Am.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News

1. Renee says:

Looking forward to this!

2. Robin says:

Sounds interesting. I do not watch this show but I recently fell in love with FNL. Sounds great for Gauis!

3. Maria says:

Really looking forward to this Tony story, and I hope it gives my favorite Special Agent an opportunity to shine as the capable, intelligent, loyal, all-American guy that he is.

• Mel says:

Yes, I hope we see that Tony again! Love funny Tony too, but I’ve missed our capable cop with the dead-on instincts, and looking forward to seeing what the always talented Michael Weatherly will do with this material. Can’t wait to see this episode.

4. Mcat says:

When will his episode be airing?

5. Svenja says:

Amazing news.
    Very good casting and it sounds like a very good storyline. I can’t wait for it to unfold. Finally a Tony story/episode which isn’t about women-issues. Sounds like Tony is a real hero and I bet he will share some intense scenes with “the kid”.
    Very pleased and happy here :)

• Michael says:

Even better no Tiva or Ziva just Tony on his own which is what we been asking for.

• Nat says:

And once again, you continue to miss the point of this show, since it is & always be Team Oriented & Character-Driven. Tony will never work “on his own”, EVER – without Ziva/Abby/Tim/Ducky/Bossman. There will never be a time when “One” agent can work alone on NCIS, as canon dictates portrayal of ALL the team working together to solve Naval cases – character centric eps or not.

• Lana says:

I hope it stays team driven, I love every character especially Abby so I want everyone in the episodes. Wish McGee would get it together and persue Abby more aggresively.

• Svenja says:

Yes, some more McAbby would be cool.
            Yes, the point of NCIS is watching the team members interact with each other. EVERY relationship is important on the show.
            Shipping Tiva or McAbby doesn’t exclude that. I am always in heaven when two team members share an amazing, touching scene. It’s what makes the show special. All of the “relationships” are very unique and special…it’s fun to watch.

• Michael says:

I do know the point of the show and I also know Ziva has been the forces point for 7 years

• as says:

Guess you’ve missed the eps where Gibbs goes off on his own then….

• Nat says:

Nope I haven’t – but apparently YOU missed all the parts IN those eps when he had full team support backing him up at all times – even when he’s not physically in the office. Gibbs has NEVER worked “alone”; that’s why he has a TEAM. Neither Gibbs nor Tony nor any of them could EVER do what they do “alone” or with “just” the two of them. Each team member has specific talents that adds value to the team as a WHOLE.

6. Michael says:

Sound Great maybe he can be the Mike Franks to these guy

7. kevin says:

Smash Williams is Texas forever.

8. Ainav says:

Smash is in the house!! Wooo! Great news.

9. as says:

I’m excited & nervous for this spoiler to come to fruition. Excited because it has so much promise & because they are again delving into Tony’s Baltimore past. Excited also because if done correctly this could showcase the smart, capable agent we’ve only gotten glimpses of since S6. Nervous because depending on who writes this storyline, we could morph back in time to idiot Tony who tries too hard to be funny & is the butt of everyone’s jokes & insults. Nervous also because of late the show’s writers have thrown ianely idiotic Tiva anvils whenever there’s a special guest star in a scene with Tony &ziva

• NoChance says:

Per a tweet from Chris Waild – he and Reed Steiner wrote this one. Chris does a great job with Tony-centric episodes so I’m guessing he wrote most of the Tony stuff and Reed wrote the team stuff.

10. Jude10 says:

I thought Charles retired. Great news! I never watch NCIS, but I’ll check in to see me some Smash!