Scoop: Jenna Elfman Cast as First Lady in NBC's White House Comedy Pilot 1600 Penn

Jenna Elfman 1600 PennThat’s First Lady Dharma, to you.

Sitcom vet Jenna Elfman has been tapped to play the wife of the president in 1600 Penn, NBC’s NBC’s Washington D.C.-set comedy pilot about a dysfunctional family that just happens to reside at the most famous address in the United States.

Bill Pullman fills the commander-in-chief role and Brittany Snow (American Dreams), Josh Gad (Book of Mormon) and Amara Miller (The Descendents) play the first children.

Modern Family‘s Jason Winer will direct the pilot and serve as an exec producer alongside Gad and former Obama speechwriter Jon Lovett.

Elfman, next seen in the March 25 Season 2 finale of Shameless, will also recur in the upcoming final season of Damages.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Juh says:

How is Jenna Elfman playing Josh Gads mother? Pretty close in age

• the girl says:

Perhaps she is his stepmother? It doesn’t say she is their mother, just that she is the President’s wife.

2. wmjidsm says:

Nine years actual difference in age (he is 31, she is 40). He is probably playing younger, she’s probably playing older, it’s plausible.

3. Marilyn says:

Seriously, does this woman have a permanent contract with all the networks; she’s like a bad penny, just keeps showing up over and over again. I liked her in the first two comedies she was in, but really??

• Mags says:

She was perfect as Dharma, but I haven’t liked her in anything since. She plays every role the same way. I can’t see her as the First Lady.

4. Kate says:

I havent actually liked her in much but I reckon shes gunna be good in this role, and with the rest of this cast and story I see this as being pretty funny!

5. Jack says:

Comedy or not a show about a white Commander-in-Chief during Obama’s Presidency is in poor taste and negating. Hope the show never airs.

• chris says:

By that logic this show would never air because there will always be a president in office

• Mark says:

24 had black Presidents when there was a white President in office.

• Carmichael says:

So, starting January 20th 2001 The West Wing was negating because it had an intelligent Commander-in-Chief? And Commander-in-Chief was negating because it had a FEMALE president while a male one was in office? You think what, Damon Wayans Sr. should be the president? Or maybe have Terry Crews play a President again, he was great at it the first time around.

• Soarin829 says:

This might be the most ridiculous post I’ve ever read. It makes zero sense.

6. Jamie says:

Dharma and Lone Star running the country together. Ah, if only it were true…. Sounds like fun. I may actually watch a sitcom next year. Haven’t watched one since Seinfeld’s horrible last episode turned me off them forever ago.

7. Carmichael says:

Now I feel old if Jenna Elfman’s being cast to play Josh Gad’s mom, even figuring he is playing younger.

8. Nicole says:

I used to really like Dharma & Greg, and then I saw video of her going all Scientology-batsh!t on someone and totally lost respect. I can’t watch her anymore without thinking of that.

9. Linderella says:

I was really pleased when I learned about this show will Bill Pullman and Brittney Snow – but Jenna Elfman is reason enough to put on my DO NOT WATCH list.

10. RMF says:

This just makes me wish That’s My Bush lasted longer…

11. rory says:

I thought I was the only one who remembered Dharma & Greg!!!

12. The Squatch says:

“… that just happens to reside at the most famous address in the United States.”

Sadly, I bet 90% of Americans wouldn’t know the street number of the White House if you asked them.