Scoop: Jenna Elfman Cast as First Lady in NBC's White House Comedy Pilot 1600 Penn

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Jenna Elfman 1600 PennThat’s First Lady Dharma, to you.

Sitcom vet Jenna Elfman has been tapped to play the wife of the president in 1600 Penn, NBC’s NBC’s Washington D.C.-set comedy pilot about a dysfunctional family that just happens to reside at the most famous address in the United States.

Bill Pullman fills the commander-in-chief role and Brittany Snow (American Dreams), Josh Gad (Book of Mormon) and Amara Miller (The Descendents) play the first children.

Modern Family‘s Jason Winer will direct the pilot and serve as an exec producer alongside Gad and former Obama speechwriter Jon Lovett.

Elfman, next seen in the March 25 Season 2 finale of Shameless, will also recur in the upcoming final season of Damages.

Comments (21)

• How is Jenna Elfman playing Josh Gads mother? Pretty close in age

Comment by Juh – March 14, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps she is his stepmother? It doesn’t say she is their mother, just that she is the President’s wife.

Comment by the girl – March 14, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nine years actual difference in age (he is 31, she is 40). He is probably playing younger, she’s probably playing older, it’s plausible.

Comment by wmjidsm – March 14, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, does this woman have a permanent contract with all the networks; she’s like a bad penny, just keeps showing up over and over again. I liked her in the first two comedies she was in, but really??

Comment by Marilyn – March 14, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was perfect as Dharma, but I haven’t liked her in anything since. She plays every role the same way. I can’t see her as the First Lady.

Comment by Mags – March 14, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I havent actually liked her in much but I reckon shes gunna be good in this role, and with the rest of this cast and story I see this as being pretty funny!

Comment by Kate – March 14, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comedy or not a show about a white Commander-in-Chief during Obama’s Presidency is in poor taste and negating. Hope the show never airs.

Comment by Jack – March 14, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By that logic this show would never air because there will always be a president in office

Comment by chris – March 14, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 24 had black Presidents when there was a white President in office.

Comment by Mark – March 14, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, starting January 20th 2001 The West Wing was negating because it had an intelligent Commander-in-Chief? And Commander-in-Chief was negating because it had a FEMALE president while a male one was in office? You think what, Damon Wayans Sr. should be the president? Or maybe have Terry Crews play a President again, he was great at it the first time around.

Comment by Carmichael – March 14, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This might be the most ridiculous post I’ve ever read. It makes zero sense.

Comment by Soarin829 – March 14, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dharma and Lone Star running the country together. Ah, if only it were true…. Sounds like fun. I may actually watch a sitcom next year. Haven’t watched one since Seinfeld’s horrible last episode turned me off them forever ago.

Comment by Jamie – March 14, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dharma and Lone Star….thanks for the literal LOL! Glad my wine glass was down. ;)

Comment by J – March 14, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I feel old if Jenna Elfman’s being cast to play Josh Gad’s mom, even figuring he is playing younger.

Comment by Carmichael – March 14, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On deadline it says she is a step mother trying to connect with her step kids. So, that.

Comment by Pat – March 14, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok that makes me feel better thank you

Comment by Carmichael – March 14, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to really like Dharma & Greg, and then I saw video of her going all Scientology-batsh!t on someone and totally lost respect. I can’t watch her anymore without thinking of that.

Comment by Nicole – March 14, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really pleased when I learned about this show will Bill Pullman and Brittney Snow – but Jenna Elfman is reason enough to put on my DO NOT WATCH list.

Comment by Linderella – March 14, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just makes me wish That’s My Bush lasted longer…

Comment by RMF – March 14, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought I was the only one who remembered Dharma & Greg!!!

Comment by rory – March 14, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “… that just happens to reside at the most famous address in the United States.”

Sadly, I bet 90% of Americans wouldn’t know the street number of the White House if you asked them.

Comment by The Squatch – March 14, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post