CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSIs Left Up In the Air

Annnnnd… they’re off!

TV’s annual Renew/Cancel Season formally kicked off on Wednesday with CBS renewing 15 shows for the 2012-13 TV season, including, of course, NCIS (as well as its offshoot NCIS: Los Angeles), the freshman shows Person of Interest and 2 Broke Girls, and the acclaimed The Good Wife.

Factoring in previously announced renewals for How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Survivor, that totals 18 programs the Eye network has returning to the fold. (TVLine’s Renew/Cancel Scorecard has thus been updated!)

Not making the cut, at least thus far, are veteran procedurals CSI: NY and CSI: Miami and the on-again/off-again Rules of Engagement, while freshmen series such as A Gifted Man, Unforgettable and Rob are also MIA. (CSI: NY resumes its season on Friday, March 30, while Gifted Man has already aired its finale.)

As for Two and a Half Men, CBS and Warner Bros. Television are in preliminary negotiations regarding ordering more seasons. As Chuck Lorre said earlier this week, “It’s unusual when they cancel a show that’s in the Top 10, so I think there’s hope… [but] everybody’s gotta sign back up” — namely, Ashton Kutcher.

“This large-scale renewal is testimony to the strength, stability and success of a deep and diverse roster of top-rated programming,” CBS president Nina Tassler said in announcing the pick-ups. Season-to-date, CBS is No. 1 in total viewers (averaging 12.13 million, up 1 percent year-over-year) and a strong second in adults 18-49 (up 3 percent).

All told, here are CBS’ 18 returning programs; there is no predicting when the other networks will announce their own renewals, let alone this early:

Comedy

60 Minutes
The Amazing Race
Survivor
Undercover Boss

Tags: ,

Comments (302)

• I’m on the fence about CSI:NY. It’s a great show with a wonderful cast. The actors, crew, and fans deserve another season. However, I myself have been losing interest and they had a diffcult time renewing for the current one. Saying all that, I do hope NY is given one more season.

Comment by Lisa – March 14, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! Person Of Interest made it!

Comment by Renee – March 14, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of my favorites are returning, so I’m good. Matt, thx for the update.

Comment by Lorie – March 14, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go POI go! what an awesome show.

Comment by erika – March 14, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please please renew CSI:NY. Best show on TV. I loved Stella but Jo is a new dynamic that is very much appreciated. Have always enjoyed Sela on any show.

Dump CSI:Miami – haven’t had the stomach to watch that show since Speedle left.

Comment by SoFla – March 14, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hear it for A Gifted Man, all of you viewers. CBS needs to know what a good show it is. Every friend we recommended it to has become hooked on the show. It was like a well kept secret due to CBS’ lack of promotion and advertising.

Comment by Pat – March 14, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. We enjoy the unique story line of A Gifted Man. It was hardly even promoted as is the other standards, which are our favorites too, Good Wife, CSI, Blue Bloods, NCIS, NCISLA, Criminal Minds and H5O. If there is any way to keep A Gifted Man on for another season, please do so, or how do we get CBS to do this? Also, I enjoy Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery. A good show to get into.

Comment by Deborah – March 14, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want A Gifted Man back too..

Comment by MOhammed – March 14, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really want to have A GIFTED MAN back for another season. It is those small moments in the show that makes it more human and genuine. I do not know about other viewers but for me, it is what makes me watch TV. Even NCIS has those moments, don’t you think?
      Too bad it would not come back because of the ratings. But if CBS based their renewals on the ratings, no freshman show will make it on the time slot they put it on the Friday nights.

I do not know how to make a plea with the CBS people to renew this show but they would surely make a lot of the fans happy and love CBS even more. But maybe business is not about heart, it’s more about money. I am so sad right now. And I am not even living in States! Please also think about the global watchers too ! TT^TT

Comment by Katewdt – March 15, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Pat A Gifted Man is a very good show, CBS should keep it on & I hope they keep Unforgettable on also.

Comment by Dee – March 23, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Unforgettable comes back. It’s such a good show. The ratings are there too so idk.

Comment by Steph – March 14, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulations to POI. CBS has struck gold with this show.

Comment by frank – March 14, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to learn Unforgettable has not been renewed but it is not surprising. Hope Poppy Montgomery finds something new very soon.

Comment by Linderella – March 14, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s still undecided.

Comment by Olivia – March 14, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No decision has been made yet as to its renewal.

I can’t help but feel that Unforgettable will get renewed but moved to a new day and/or timeslot.

Comment by Tania – March 14, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for The Good Wife. Now let’s get ABC to make some decisions!

Comment by Sue – March 14, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caviezel rocks!

Comment by Parker – March 14, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS AND NCIS LA and Criminal Minds Sweet I love These

Comment by Michael – March 14, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pretty sure they have to cancel something. How else are they going to fit in those new shows they are going to order? If the show hasn’t made this massive first pick-up, it doesn’t bode well for them, especially the CSI spin offs.

Comment by Joanna – March 14, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! The Good Wife!!!!!!

Comment by Alberto – March 14, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS really is the BORING Channel of America. I like HIMYM and I have enjoyed a few episodes of The Good Wife and BBT, but everything else on this network feels so generically procedural and uninventive. It is the highest rated network in America because OLD PEOPLE actually sit down in front of the television and watch this boring stuff because they haven’t discovered the internet yet. Oy. Rant over.

Comment by Jane – March 14, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I take exception to your ranting on OLD PEOPLE. You, too, will get old before you know it or want to. Just because there are older people watching shows does not mean that they are stupi, watch boring shows and don’t keep up with things, like the internet. I happen to like Neil Patrick Harris and think he is a funny, genius actor, I happen to like the Good Wife but watch another program when that is on and I live on my MacBookPro literally 24/7 for work and entertainment and I am one of those older people you so indelicately rant on. So, be kind to those you consider OLD PEOPLE who are stupid and watch boring shows and don’t know anything about the internet. Okay, my rant over. Oh, and just a quick shout out to Matt and Michael A. – you guys are the best, follow your posts daily.

Comment by Deb – March 14, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That should have been stupid, not stupi – my fingers got ahead of me while typing. My bad.

Comment by Deb – March 14, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you, Deb, for your post on “Old People” I am almost 60, and I like several of those “boring” shows being renewed. But, unlike the stereotype, I am very adept at technology, the internet, smart phones, texting, twitter, etc. I am just technologically wired that way. So, it is sad when “young people” stereotype and automatically believe “old people” are clueless when it comes to the internet. I received an associate degree in computer programming in 1991, so been into the internet, computers technology since then. Probably before some of those who point a finger at us were born. If not for health problems, I might have been a technology wizard. LOL

Comment by Deborah – March 14, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better then being a slut like most woman

Comment by Michael – March 14, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously? No, really. Seriously? Is anyone moderating this comments?

Comment by Hols – March 14, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will never understand why people think that if others don’t watch or prefer what they watch and enjoy that they must be “stupid” or “boring” or “old” or some other insulting cliché. Just because not enough people watch the show you like doesn’t mean they are too stupid to get it. Just because someone likes a procedural doesn’t mean they deserve to be looked down on or that they even watch for the procedural part of the show, or that they’re “old”.

I am well within the key demo age-wise and I watch several of these procedurals, like “The Mentalist” and NCIS for instance. I like Jane and Lisbon and the sort of Mulder and Scully-ish relationship they have, in fact I love the entire CBI “family” and enjoy discovering more about them and finding out where they’ll end up. The same goes for NCIS and their characters. I watch procedurals for the characters more than the procedural stuff because the procedural stuff bores me after awhile. I always view a good procedural as having a two-pronged strategy. It gives you good, dynamic (static characters are boring) characters that you care about with interesting stories and revelations about them along interesting, well-developed procedural stories for those who enjoy that aspect mainly. Therefore it attracts more viewers. That’s somewhat simplistic but true and it’s one reason as to why procedurals do so well with so many viewers.

This isn’t all about your post only, Jane. I’m speaking of many posts I’ve seen on here over the past year. So much presumption and such inane, judgmental stereotyping goes on in these posts on occasion. People always feel safer if they can put “others”, i.e., those who have different tastes, etc. from them, in a box, typically with a deprecating label on it. I don’t get it. I don’t like reality shows at all, but I don’t think people are stupid just because they enjoy them. It’s just not my cup of tea and as long as there are things I enjoy on, I can enjoy them and let the others enjoy what they like without thinking less of them or coming on these sites and insulting them.

Comment by @Jane – March 14, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TO JANE: I BEG YOUR PARDON JANE…I may be old but I do have sense ebough to know what’s good and what’s not on TV. And I don’t just sit down and watch boring stuff, I watch only the good shows on TV. Good acting and good writing makes a No rating. NCIS has been number 1 for years now and I don’t miss it. Blue Bloods is one of the best on the air!!! House, Alcatraz, SVU, Private Practice, all are excellent shows, I don’t watch TV just to have something boring on, I watch TV for entertainment and knowledge. and as for your statement of not discovering the internet yet. Don’t underestimate the older generation,, I am on the internet all the time….While I’m watching TV, by the way. But hey, yes I’m a Grandma, but it sounds like I have more sense than most of you young people…btw I also watch the best news channel, FOXNEWS!!! True, clear and balanced.

Comment by Grandma – March 14, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, Grandma, you lost me (and a whole lot of other people” with that last statement. Fox News is nothing but propaganda. If you watch Fox News, you must enjoy being lied to, because that’s what’s happening, every day.

Comment by dee – March 15, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for POI – the best show on earth!

Comment by Macy – March 14, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, CBS has been pretty solid this year. I think they should renew Rules of Engagement over Rob, at the very least to use as a midseason replacement in case whatever they’re going to try next for the 8:30 post-Big Bang Theory spot doesn’t pan out.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 14, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited Person of Interest got renewed. Absolutely love that show.

Comment by Sue – March 14, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles! I also Love CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and I hope they renew CSI: Miami I just started to like CSI: Miami! I love all crime/forensic shows!!!

Comment by Carley – March 14, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hawaii 5 0. So glad they are keeping that in for another season and both NCIS’s. Yay!

Comment by FS – March 14, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if they wanna know whether or not to renew Rules of Engagement, maybe they should actually SHOW some episodes to us and see how wwe react!!! seriously, when is this hiatus over?

Comment by Jess – March 14, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the CSI shows to cancel, why NY? It’s the only good one. And to pick Person of Interest, one of the most boring shows I have ever seen in my life, to keep and to cancel CSI:NY. Sometimes I just don’t understand television networks. It may just be my opinion, I don’t want CSI:NY to go off the air :(

Comment by Anita – March 14, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should leave the comedys cause that’s a. Perfect Monday night

Comment by Matt h – March 14, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy all my favorites are on the list! It isn’t one of my must-see shows, but I’d prefer they keep CSI NY and cancel Unforgettable. IMO,that show is a joke and Poppy Montgomery cannot act to save her life. And this is coming from someone who actually liked her on Without A Trace….

Comment by Greg – March 14, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please, don’t cancel a gifted man!!! I love this show!!!!!

Comment by helen – March 14, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news that NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles have been renewed! :)

Comment by zoyarose – March 14, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by LuB – March 14, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong reply!!! Sorry!!!

Comment by LuB – March 14, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Million Dollar question: How long will NCIS going to last?

Comment by kevin – March 14, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, honey if it continues to rate 18-20 million viewers a week, I think still a long time!!!!!

Comment by LuB – March 14, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually wish NCIS hadn’t been renewed. Not cancelled, but that they’d made the decision to end it. It’s my favorite show and while it’s gotten much better since SB is no longer the showrunner, it’s still nowhere near where it used to be in terms of quality. I’d rather see it go out on top than die a slow, painful death.

Comment by Steph – March 14, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the renewal of POI!! I can’t remember when I was this addicted to a show.

Comment by kel – March 14, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for TGW and POI ! The best CBS shows.
    Hawaii 50 still needs 2 more seasons for syndication but with Alex o’Laughlin in drug rehab and already missing episodes , makes me wonder how many more episodes he will miss in the next 2 seasons due to his future “treatments”.
    And what about 2.5 man?? It’s not the same without Charlie, so if they cancel it, I will be ok with it.

Comment by John – March 14, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! The Mentalist

Comment by Cynthia – March 14, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously bring back CSI NY it’s the best CSI! Also renew Unforgettable it is a decent show!

Comment by Alicia L. – March 14, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, Alicia L, Unforgettable was a decent show, well did you see the episode when Carrie was in the bed with a guy and it showed his pubic hair when she pulled the cover down. They’ve shown a man’s butt before but not his almost front.

Comment by Grandma – March 14, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it is the end of CSI NY they should bring back Melina Kanakaredes back for the finale or at the very least have Mac leave to go to New Orleans and leave the lab in Jo and Danny’s capable hands!

Comment by Alicia L. – March 14, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep unforgettable its an amazing show!!!!!!

Comment by Vanessa – March 14, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Gifted Man was the only show i watched on CBS, Please! Get it back!!

Comment by MOhammed – March 14, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s kinda nice knowing about so many shows this early. Also – yay Good Wife!

Comment by Tee – March 14, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt – If I’m not mistaken several of the main cast on NCIS have contracts expiring this year. Do you have any news on returners, or more importantly, who might not be returning?? Thanks!

Comment by Becky – March 14, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad poi got renewed love it

Comment by ollie – March 14, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYY for NCIS, NCIS:LA, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods, and Hawaii Five-O!! A little disappointed about A Gifted Man and Unforgettable though…I won’t be crushed if those get cancelled (like I would be for the ones that got renewed), but I wouldn’t really like it.
    At least keep Unforgettable! It’s been getting solid numbers!

Comment by Rach – March 14, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My CBS must see list for next season depending on the network’s new schedule until May: PERSON OF INTEREST, THE MENTALIST, HAWAII FIVE-O & THE AMAZING RACE. :) :) :) :)

Comment by kevin – March 14, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good choices for renewal, except you missed Unforgettable. Please renew this show also.

Yay The Good Wife!!!

Comment by Lisa – March 14, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Steph – Totally disagree with you. NCIS is still as great as ever, only difference is that lately they’ve been showing the team more and more as a family and digging further into the characters. It’s a character driven show, they’ve said that, and I have no problems with how it is at all. Of course, I’d be very happy if they added in more whumpage :3

Comment by Catherine – March 14, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything that wasn’t listed is gone, leaving room for at least 4 pilots.
    On a network like CBS where everything performs so well, the shows almost compete against each other so shows like Unforgettable that do well on their night but still not as well as other CBS shows overall will fall.
    They renew so many shows that they have to axe some to make way for new fare.

Comment by Danielle H – March 14, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And why do they need to “make way for new fare” every season? If all of your shows are performing well, why NOT stick with them? Why take a chance on the unknown and unproven at the expense of shows that you know will perform well for you? This has never made sense to me.

Comment by dee – March 15, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree dee we don’t always need new ones that end up being canceled before they have a chance and then old ones are gone. I like all the CBS Drama’s its one of the better networks.

Comment by Dee – March 23, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two and a Half Men was bold to move on without Charlie, and should be applauded on taking that risk, but it really did not work. I doubt the show will be cancelled, though, only because it makes so much money, and so many people watch it.

Comment by Kevin – March 14, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes for Person of Interest!!!!!

Comment by joterri_1999 – March 14, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m relieved my Criminal Minds is back! It’s my best part I also thoroughly enjoy NCIS, NCIS LA, & Person of Interest!

Comment by Rachel F – March 14, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad they did not cancel the original CSI. If they cancel a CSI, I sure hope it is the Miami one. I rally enjoy CSI New York. CSI Miami is made up of the worst actors imaginable and it is more like a bad comdey.

Comment by Pam – March 14, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wouldn’t bother me if CSI:Miami were to be canceled. The lead is just too cartoonish. Mind you I’m a fan of David Caruso, but he’s so awful in this series. Two episodes during its early days and I was done.

Comment by Tania – March 14, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool H50 is renewed, the only drama that doesn’t put me to sleep. Am happy for the rest of the shows renewed, even though I don’t watch them…

Comment by Noelle – March 14, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • soy mathias me estaba preguntando por que dos series que viene de la mano de “CSI” (las vegas) como csi miami,y csi ny que son mas argumentativas mas atrapantes y con menos temporadas que CSI (las vegas)y pueden llegar a ser canceladas creo que CSI MIAMI es una verdadera obra maestra donde tanto los personajes como el argumento interactuan de forma cronometrada y perfecta y en donde cada episodio logra llegar a parecer mas una pelicula que una serie por tan perfecto desarrollo creo que es una pena que llegasen a su fin y mas cuando el supuesto final qUEDARIA INCOMPLETA, VACIA, pero lo peor es que tanto argumento y desgaste habran sido por nada en cambio su progenitora CSI (las vegas) no contiene argumento, el reparto es poco creativo, poco creible hace que todas esas cosas importantes las ehcen a perder esos toques de humor que degradan la escena del episodio ademas de que lleva mas tiempo emitida.
    les agradesco poder expresar mi comentario y ojala lleguen a renovarse.
    MATHIAS.