American Idol: What Should the Top 12 (or Top 11) Cover for 'Songs From the Year You Were Born'?

idol top 12American Idol‘s Season 11 Top 12 are set to cover the frequently traversed theme of “Songs From the Year You Were Born” tonight. (Way to cook up new and exciting ideas, Uncle Nigel)! I’m already saying a novena that Jessica Sanchez won’t get stuck in the Thia Megia ghetto (aka singing “Colors Of The Wind”) and that Joshua Ledet won’t be offering up Idol‘s eighth rendition of “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” in 11 seasons. (But, alas, hearing one of those ballads is almost as likely as Jermaine Jones performing nothing at all; read all about that scandalé here!)

Nevertheless, using the contestants’ birthdays and Billboard’s lists of Top 100 songs from the corresponding calendar years, here are my suggestions for a dream set list. (Yes, yes, I showed incredible restraint in not pairing Shannon Magrane with Ini Kamoze’s “Here Comes The Hotstepper.”) Check out my picks, then hit the comments with your own suggestions!

Elise Testone: July 29, 1983
Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone” or Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry

Idology: Jeremy Rosado on Iovine Insults, Nice-Guy Edit and His Ballad-Heavy Repertoire

Skylar Laine: February 1, 1994
Beck’s “Loser” (seriously this would be amazing — close your eyes and imagine it!) or Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories’s “Stay (I Missed You)

Joshua Ledet: April 9, 1992
Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under The Bridge” or CeCe Peniston’s “Finally

Phillip Phillips: September 20, 1990
Keith Sweat’s “Make You Sweat” (crazy/perfect!) or Jane Child’s “Don’t Wanna Fall In Love

Jessica Sanchez: August 4, 1995
Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy” or Groove Theory’s “Tell Me

Heejun Han: April 20, 1989
Tiffany’s “All This Time” (don’t pretend this isn’t a gorgeous melody) or Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians’ “What I Am

Erika Van Pelt: December 12, 1985
Honeydrippers’ “Sea Of Love” or Tina Turner’s “Better Be Good To Me

Colton Dixon: October 19, 1991
Paula Abdul’s “Rush Rush” (offbeat, sure, but he’d kill it!) or EMF’s “Unbelievable

Shannon Magrane: October 21, 1995
Monica’s “Don’t Take It Personal (Just One Of Dem Days)” or Dionne Farris’ “I Know”

Deandre Brackensick: October 21, 1994
Aaliyah’s “Back and Forth” or Zhane’s “Groove Thang

Hollie Cavanagh: July 5, 1993
Boy Krazy’s “That’s What Love Can Do” or Madonna’s “Deeper And Deeper”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Muriel says:

Skylar Laine: February 1, 1994
    Beck’s “Loser”

Yes please!!

• For Me For You says:

Elise (Ke$ha’s Aunt) – How Am I Supposed To Live Without You (Laura Branigan) – Because she’s got the depth and maturity to make it “really real”

Skylar – Because The Night (10,000 Maniacs) – Because she’ll get to sing fast and go crazy

Joshua – I Can’t Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt) – Sing it out, tone it down, appear vulnerable

Phillip – Black Velvet (Alannah Myles) – Because I never tire of this song

Jessica – This Ain’t A Love Song (Bon Jovi) – See what I did there?

Heejun – Every Little Step (Bobby Brown) – Game change

Erika – Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) – Needs a KLCIPTBAAM (Kristy Lee Cook Is Proud To Be An American Moment)

Colton – Rush Rush (Paula Abdul) – YES

Shannon Migraine – No More “I Love You’s” (Annie Lennox) – Because if I have to listen to this hot mess sing, it might as well be to a pretty song

Deandre – 100% Pure Love (Crystal Waters) – He’d have fun. We’d have fun.

Hollie – What’s Up (4 Non Blondes) – Time to let ‘er rip, Cavanagh!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Nice to see someone else likes “Every Little Step” for HeeJun, and for the same reason. I also like “Because the Night” but gave it to Deandre since I think it’s his turn for a slow song this week. And I also considered “what’s Up” and “Black Velvet”.

• unicornwasp says:

100% pure love! an inspired choice.

2. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak, your choices are way too Urban Cool for Idol! Except for the Paula Abdul song for Colton. Oh dear!

3. Templar says:

My choices for my faves are:
    Hollie – I’ll Never Get Over You Getting Over Me by Expose
    Colton – Wicked Game by Chris Isaak
    Joshua – Keep The Faith by Bon Jovi

4. Soarin829 says:

Yay! I was hoping you’d put out a list of picks! LOVE your picks for Skylar!

5. Holly says:

I would LOVE to see Elise sing “Dirty Laundry!” Does she even know the song???

6. Anna B says:

It makes me feel so much better about myself that Elise was born in 1983. Everyone else (except for Erika) is so YOUNG.

7. darcy's evil twin says:

I have had so much fun with this because some of the music is so darned bad. Mr. Sleazak’s choices are pretty cool. Mine are more pedestrian Idol fare.
    Elise (1983) –Toni Basil’s “Mickey”. SHUT UP! But wouldn’t that be great? I’m going with Quarterflash’s “Take Me to Heart” or Elton John’s “I’m Still Standing”.
    Erika (1985) – Corey Hart’s “I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight”.
    Jermaine (1986) – Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer”. Because if the criminal record doesn’t get him sent home, this should seal the deal.
    HeeJun (1989) – Bobby Brown’s “Every Little Step”. With a fedora!
    And now, Idoloonies, do not touch your sets. There is nothing wrong with your TVs. You’re venturing into that musical wasteland commonly known as…THE NINETIES. Starting with horrible hip-hop, more horrible grunge, and culminating in the horribleness that was…The Boy Bands.
    Phillip2 (1990) – “Ice, Ice, Baby” by Vanilla Ice. NOT REALLY. Let’s force him to SING! Taylor Dane’s “Love Will Lead You Back”. Yea, I know. Awful – but in a “I can’t stop looking at the car accident” kind of way.
    Colton (1991) – The Divinyls’ “I Touch Myself”. KIDDING. Kinda. Someone had suggested Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game”. Even though P2 has already sung “Wicked Game” his version was totally unrecognizable, so it’s still an option for Colton. But I’m going with Wilson Phillips’ “Impulsive” – at the piano, even though I like the “Rush, Rush” suggestion and considered that one myself.
    Joshua (1992) – So many great songs, so little time. “Baby Got Back”, “I’m Too Sexy”, “Humpin’ Around”, and “Achy Breaky Heart”… But let’s go with MJ’s “Black or White”. Or maybe EnVogue’s “Free your Mind”.
    Hollie – (1993) –“I Will Always Love You” has already been done, and it was a crappy year for pop music, soooo….let’s try some country-pop. Patty Loveless’ “Blame it On Your Heart” (and didn’t Allison Iraheta sing it?).
    Deandre (1994) 69 Boyz’s “Tootsee Roll”. JUST KIDDING. 10,000 Maniacs’ cover of Patti Smith/The Boss’ “Because the Night”.
    Skylar (1994) – Celine Dion’s “The Power of Love”. HA. Made You Look. How about Salt-N-Peppa’s “Whatta Man” instead?
    Jessica –(1995) – Gloria Estefan’s cover of Vicki Sue Robinson’s “Turn the Beat Around”
    Shannon –(1995) – Once again, due to crappy choices, we turn to the vast catalog of country-pop for Faith Hill’s “Let’s Go to Vegas” – but without a pageant gown and Fox News Hair.

• TV Fan says:

The Cutting Crew sang I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight, not Cory Hart.

• darcy's evil twin says:

OOPSIE. thanks! I’m old and that’s what I get for going off of memory.

• Templar says:

Owing to the recent, awful Megan Mullally commercial “Turn the Tub Around”, I hope Jessica does do that song. Anything to get her eliminated sooner, is good.

• darcy's evil twin says:

There was a channel on my satellite carrier, and I’m not making this up, that showed the extended version of that commercial like it was a music video, non-stop, 24/7, for I don’t know how long. I couldn’t believe it.
            I don’t think Jessica’s leaving any time soon unless she also has an undisclosed criminal record like Jermaine. I don’t dislike her, I’m just having trouble connecting with her, although I like Hollie, which doesn’t make much sense. Clearly I’m in the minority. I’d like to see Jessica sing something upbeat. That was the song that took out Haley Scarnato – it’s not a slam-dunk song.

• Volcfom says:

I think “Free Your Mind” would be a good choice for Joshua, actually. Please, no MJ.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I kind of agree with you, Volcfom – 1992 was just such a DREADFUL year. I honestly had trouble thinking of anything. That was about the time I started listening to my husband’s country stations (no satellite radio back them). That’s how bad it was. And to add insult to injury Achy Breaky Heart was on ALL the stations.

• My Alter Ego says:

RE: to add insult to injury Achy Breaky Heart was on ALL the stations.

Oh — that is sad! You have my sincerest sympathy!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I am living for the day when someone has the (round things) to sing it on Idol. That and Toni Basil’s “Mickey”.

• tricia says:

music is never that bad that you should need to listen to country!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

You get a Made Me Laugh! :-)
            I honestly like country. Grew up listening to country and, thanks to my dad, I’m really familiar with the genre. I probably would have fit into the voting demographic people complain about here – from the south, Jesus freaks, hillbillies, etc. But we DID have teeth!
            What I like about country is the lyrics. They’re painfully honest and often tell a story.

• Templar says:

Anything from Bon Jovi’s Keep the Faith CD would work for Joshua. The title song is kind of a latin rhythm so he could work with that.

8. Lo says:

Hollie- Another Sad Love Song by Toni Braxton
    Elise- Ain’t Nobody by Chaka Khan or Faithfully by Journey
    Jessica- Fantasy by Mariah Carey
    Skylar- Come to My Window by Melissa Etheridge
    Shannon- Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow

• Kat says:

Come to My Window would be a great choice for Skylar. She obviously has a great country voice, but I respect the singers so much more when they break out of their main genre. This song has just enough country in it for her to do a great job and appeal to a huge range of people.

9. Snsetblaze says:

Better be good to me is a great suggestion for Erika. Love the Elise suggestions too but while your suggestion for Erika could reasonably be a choice as Tina’s songs have been done before, I doubt the others would even occur to anyone.

10. Renda says:

Erika Van Pelt seems so much older than everyone (except Elise) and she’s my age! Is it weird that I’m excited for my lunch break so I can play along with this whole song picking game?

11. John says:

Choosing Jane Child for Phil Phillips? BRILLIANT! Honestly, that could end up being a David Cook “Billie Jean” moment if done right.

• Tiffany says:

Uhhh…NOTHING will ever again be another David Cook “Billie Jean” moment! Well, except for David’s “The World I Know” moment.

12. Anna B says:

Elise should do “Sweet Dreams” so that we can all erase the catastrophe that was that other girl’s performance in the semis.

13. TV Fan says:

I hate when the do “Song from the Year You are Born” It makes me feel so ancient. :) I hope we some new takes on old songs.

• Louise says:

I know, I graduated from high school in 1995 for goodness sake.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, you are doing better than me for an old person – you remembered who sang “I Just Died in your Arms Tonight”. :-)
      All I can say is this is a theme night that will soon wear out its welcome. Much of the popular music in the 90s was so dreadful it will make for some pretty horrific Idol nights. Either that or we’ll be listening to the same songs over and over and over, which is kind of what we get now, I guess.

• C says:

I’m with you on that one. I graduated from high school in 1973 and I have no idea what any of these songs are supposed to sound like; I stopped listening to pop music with any regularity around 1980. So I have no idea whether they’re being done well or not, aside from being able to tell if they’re on pitch.

• darcy's evil twin says:

YES! Someone that’s older than I am. I actually stopped listening to pop music with any regularity around 92 and started listening more regularly again in the early 2000s when Beyonce’s solo album…yikes, CD was released.
        The 80s had some pretty good music, IMO. You must be like my husband, C – you must have liked the folk-musicy, CSNY-type stuff in the 60s and 70s.

• Toto says:

Well, I graduated in 1958, so I’m pretty sure I have seniority here. But I’ve stuck with popular music all along. We still go to Sturgis every year and I was there when Steven Tyler fell off the stage at the Buffalo Chip campground. Love it all from Elvis to John Denver to Queen to Bon Jovi to Adam Lambert [I’ve seen him 3 times so far].

• Danielle says:

Class of 86 here — so glad I’m not the only who feels like I should be filing for Social Security. How is there a contestant who was born the year Deeper and Deeper came out?? How is this possible???

14. Anna B says:

Erika – “Like a Virgin” or “Don’t you Forget About Me”

15. brandy says:

All I have to say to this list is this: Keep dreamin’, Slezak. :)

16. Anna B says:

Hollie, for the love of god, please resist the urge to do “A Whole New World”!!!!

I would kind of like to see you do “Reason to Believe” (Rod Stewart) or maybe “Ordinary World” (Duran Duran)?

17. john t. says:

jessica – i’m goin’ down – mary j. blige
    hollie – fields of gold – sting (eva cassidy’s version)
    deandre – baby i love your way – big mountain
    erika – we belong – pat benetar
    colton – wicked game
    skylar – why haven’t i heard from you? – reba
    heejun – right here waiting – richard marx
    p2 – free fallin’ – tom petty
    shannon – i’ll stand by you – the pretenders
    joshua – i’ll be there – mariah carey
    elise – total eclipse of the heart – bonnie tyler

• TheBeach says:

Wow, thanks John T for mentioning Eva Cassidy…what a great talent she was. She never really got the credit for her version of “Over the Rainbow” that K. McPhee copied and made such an impact with.

• Tarc says:

Agreed – there can never be too much Eva Cassidy. Fields of Gold is my absolute favorite of her covers. Hollie would just *kill* that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I can’t stand that song, but that aside I think Hollie needs to step away from the slow stuff and sing something with more pep, even if it’s cheesy (like my suggestion).

18. Brielle's Mom says:

Elise was born in 1983? I thought 1963 for sure.

Skylar Laine and her Tracey Ullman face can’t get off my TV fast enough. Colton Dickwad too.

19. Volcfom says:

Only three fellow 80’s babies? Makes me sad…
    Although, I have been enjoying the shift out of 80’s music. This theme will force most people to sing relatively recent songs (in Idol terms anyway).
    It’s still too early for most boy bands, but watch out season 13!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Boy Bands. Exactly. you get a Made Me Laugh. :-)
      And that’s why this theme night needs to come to an end soon.

20. Johnny says:

A lot of these songs are solid picks, but most probably aren’t common enough to have made the Idol list… so we can definitely expect a lot of dreary repeats unless someone fights for something else in particular.

21. chris says:

HeeJun (1989) – 7 O’clock London Quireboys

22. ngh18 says:

I don’t know if it is the right year or not, but Erika Van Pelt needs to do a Toni Childs song!!!

23. Leodyn says:

Elise -> Every Breath You Take (The Police) / Faithfully (Journey)
    Erika -> Heaven (Bryan Adams) / If You Love Somebody Set Them Free (Sting)
    Heejun -> Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx) / Stand (R.E.M.)
    Phillip -> Blaze Of Glory (Jon Bon Jovi) / Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode)
    Colton -> Losing My Religion (R.E.M.) / Shiny Happy People (R.E.M.)
    Joshua -> Tears In Heaven (Eric Clapton) / Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
    Hollie -> What’s Up? (Non Blondes) / All That She Wants (Ace Of Base)
    Skylar -> All I Wanna Do (Sheryl Crow) / Always (Bon Jovi)
    Deandre -> All For Love (Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting) / Crazy (Aerosmith)
    Jessica -> Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman? (Bryan Adams) / I’ll Stand By You (The Pretenders)
    Shannon -> Strong Enough (Sheryl Crow) / Back For Good (Take That)

24. Volcfom says:

You always have some cool (and far-fetched) picks, but I’ll add these to the mix:
    P2 – I think he could have fun with “Enjoy the Silence”
    Heejun – will probably cop out and go for “If You Don’t Know Me By Now”

I think EVP has a lot of good options. Excited to see what she goes with, even though she’s not my favorite.

25. Renda says:

My picks are:

Elise – Every Breath you Take (The Police)
    Skylar – Anytime You Need a Friend (Mariah countrified) or Because the Night (10,000 Maniacs)
    Joshua – Someone said it earlier but Free your Mind by En Vogue would be amazeballs
    Philip – Hold on (Wilson Philips) or Janie’s Got a Gun (Aerosmith)
    (anyone else wish DeAndre was born in 1990 so he could do Blame it on the Rain?)
    Jessica – If Michael Jackson wasn’t so over done I’d saw Scream but I’m going to go with Fantasy as well
    Heejun – Blame it on the Rain (in honor of DeAndre)
    Erika – Heaven (Bryan Adams) or Power of Love (Huey Lewis and the News)
    Colton – The list was slim pickens so I’m going with the ironic choice More than Words (Extreme)
    Shannon – Gangsta’s Paradise (Coolio) Either this will make her cooler and shake her image, or she will be terrible and then leave *win, win)but she’ll probably do I’ll Stand By You (You are no Pia!)
    DeAndre – I’ll Remember “Madonna”
    Hollie – Dreamlover (Mariah Carey) Unless Jessica does fantasy, one or the other but not both. or Again (Janet Jackson) or Cryin (Aerosmith)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yeah! Yet another vote for Joshua doing “Free Your Mind”.
      I also considered “More than Words” for Colton. I think it would be interesting if he played piano and smoothed out the melody a little.
      I also thought of Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise, but for Jessica, not Shannon. ;-)

26. RodMod says:

Vote For The Worst suggested…
    Hollie Cavanagh , 1993 – Informer by Snow

Shannon Magrane , 1995 – Cotton Eyed Joe by Rednex

Skylar Laine, 1994 – U.N.I.T.Y. by Queen Latifah

Obvioulsy they aren’t serious picks. But, am I the only one who finds these picks hilarious???

• RodMod says:

I could actually hear Skylar on U.N.I.T.Y.! (Shut Up! I know it sounds stupid!)
      But wouldn’t it be thrilling to hear her shout “Who You Callin A B***H?” @_@

27. Lauren says:

1995? Seriously? Ugh I feel old

28. Tim says:

Jermaine – Back on the Chain Gang

29. MJ says:

The suggestions by posters are WAAAAY better than Slezak’s suggestions. Most of those songs are not musically challenging and have boring and repetitive choruses.

Favorite suggestions:
    Jessica – I’m the Only One – Melissa Etheridge
    Hollie – What’s Up? – 4 Non Blondes
    Deandre – Baby I Love Your Way – Big Mountain
    Erika – We Belong – Pat Benetar
    Colton – Losing My Religion – R.E.M.
    Skylar – Come to My Window – Melissa Etheridge
    Heejun – Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx
    Phillip – Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty
    Shannon – This Ain’t A Love Song – Bon Jovi
    Joshua – Free Your Mind – Envogue
    Elise – “I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight” – The Cutting Crew
    Jermaine – Whatever he wants because apparently it doesn’t matter.

30. sara says:

I agree with everyone saying that Joshua doing “Free your mind” would be AAHMAAAAAZING, but I think it would be too complicated to make the lyrics fit. I mean, the whole song does open with “I wear tight clothing, high heel shoes, it doesn’t mean that I’m a prostitute”… there is no way Idol would let a 19-year-old sing that – or any contestant of any age, for that matter. And pretty much every verse is very obviously from a strong female point of view, I assume that would be very awkward for a teenage boy. (And no, I don’t know why I just spent so much time imagining the consequences of a song choice THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.)

Some users here have awesome suggestions though, I’m especially loving “Heaven” by Bryan Adams for Erika, “Enjoy the silence” for Phillip and really, if Deandre is even remotely smart he has no choice but to do “Baby I love your way”. Good job, guys. I hope the real list turns out at least somewhat like what we have gathered here.

• RodMod says:

“I wear tight clothing, high-heeled shoes. It doesn’t mean that I’m a prostitute.”

…could be changed to…

“I wear tight clothing, leather shoes. It doesn’t mean that I’m a metro-dude.”

“..It doesn’t mean I don’t like my strong black brothas,” could easily be changed to “…It doesn’t mean I don’t like my strong black sistas.”

The other two lines from Verse 1 are fit for a guy to sing.
      And the only thing gender based in Verse 2 is “So I’m a sista, I buy things with cash..”….Sista—>Brotha!

Haha. Like you said, “I don’t know why I just spent so much time imagining the consequences of a song choice THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.” ;)

• sara says:

Haha! I really appreciate your input, and you’re right I guess, some bits really are ambiguous or could be altered just a little bit. The metro-dude part however is genius and the biggest laugh I’ve had today, so thanks for that! :D

• RodMod says:

Haha! No problem. :D
          I’m a singer myself and my dream has always been to do a cover of “Free Your Mind”. Therefore, I’ve definitely thought long and hard about how to make the song more suitable for a guy.

• sara says:

Ha, that’s ace! :) I like that kind of dedication (as evidenced by my “Songs I’d sing on Idol if I could actually sing”-list, neatly sorted by theme weeks and complete with a dramatic arc). You should do that cover and upload it for all of us to hear! You know, to make up for Joshua’s fail if he’s not cool enough to do the song himself (which we know he won’t be)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m not sure Joshua would have to change up the lyrics much. I was thinking about Free Your Mind as a guy singing it from a woman’s point of view.

31. Lo says:

Just watched an interview with Elise saying she was disappointed that songs she wanted from Michael Jackson, Journey, Prince, and Cyndi Lauper wouldn’t clear … seems like they are really limiting them this year.

• sara says:

I don’t think Prince ever clears any of his songs (though I could be wrong), but the others are surprising – haven’t they all been done millions of time before?

32. Tarc says:

While I couldn’t possibly love the original any more, I just don’t think Joshua flaming out on CeCe Peniston’s “Finally” would be a good way to stay in the competition.

33. sara says:

++My imaginary wish list of performances that will never be (but really should)++

JOSHUA: Guns n Roses – November Rain (OH MY GOD I NEED TO THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!)

DEANDRE: Des’ree – You gotta be

++Might actually happen++

JOSHUA: Boyz II Men – End of the road / Eric Clapton – Tears in heaven

DEANDRE: All 4 One – I swear

HOLLIE: 4 Non Blondes – What’s up (EWWW)/ Fields of Gold

SKYLAR : Sheryl Crow – All I wanna do

JESSICA: Mariah Carey – Fantasy

SHANNON: No Doubt – Just a girl (or her own version: “Just one note”)

COLTON: U2 – One

HEEJUN: Milli Vanilli – Girl you know it’s true

ELISE: The Police – Every breath you take

ERIKA: Tina Turner – We don’t need another hero

PHILLIP: The Black Crowes – Hard to handle

• RodMod says:

I am baffled at all the strange requests for Phillip to sing songs that are “high in sexual content”! O.o What’s this all about? Haha! :D

• darcy's evil twin says:

I actually thought about November Rain for Joshua but it seems like it’s 237 minutes long and I think it would be hard to cut down to 90 seconds or whatever they give them.
      Sara – your “might actually happen” list is quite good! You should work for Idol!

• sara says:

Yeah, you’re definitely right about it being too long, I’m currently trying to figure out a version that is short enough without completely ruining the build-up… but then of course I also want a gospel choir doing the creepy “Don’t you think that you need somebody/Everybody needs somebody”-part towards the end while Joshua goes all waily on top of it, so it’s definitely getting a bit crammed. Yes, I do realize that the length of that song isn’t my only problem.

Oh and thank you! :) I’d quite like working for Idol, it would be so much easier than doing this stuff while I’m supposed to do work for the people who actually pay me…

• darcy's evil twn says:

Love the gospel choir on “November Rain” – don’t forget fog, a million candles, and swaybots.

34. Cat says:

Slezak, your choices are 100% cray cray. Beck by Skylar?? Don’t ever change.

35. Slezak I also suggested “deeper and deeper” in my song selections at for little miss big voice. It’ll edge up Hollie a bit.

36. wendeeloo says:

Well this was a fun wasteoftime –
    Elise – BREAKING US IN TWO – Joe Jackson
    Erika – POWER OF LOVE Huey Lewis
    Heejun – LOVE SHACK B-52s (he needs to do uptempo – he’d bring house down having fun with this…
    Phillip – NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU – Sinead
    Colton – (EVERTHING I DO)I DO IT FOR YOU -Bryan Adams
    Joshua – I CAN’T MAKE YOU LOVE ME – Bonnie Raitt (this would KILL)
    Hollie – HEY JEALOUSY – Gin Blossoms – (get her away from a ballad)
    Deandre – MMM MMM MMM MMM – Crash Test Dummies
    Skylar – ALL I WANNA DO – Sheryl Crow (perfect and young for her)
    Shannon – TAKE A BOW – Madonna
    Jessica – TURN THE BEAT AROUND – needs to do uptempo

37. RodMod says:

Endless Love
    One Sweet Day
    When A Man Loves A Woman
    Broken Heart
    Love Sneaking Up On You
    The Power of Love’
    Hard To Handle
    Turn The Beat Around
    Right Here Waiting
    Let’s Stay Together (Presumably the Tina Turner version?)

• RodMod says:

So…looks like we have more Mariah and Celine. Probably from Jessica, Shannon or Hollie.

Any guesses (by date) on who’s singing what?

38. RodMod says:

Endless Love (1994 or 1996)
    One Sweet Day (1995 or 1996)
    When A Man Loves A Woman (1991)
    Heaven (1985)
    Broken Heart ? (I have no clue!!)
    Love Sneaking Up On You ? ()
    The Power of Love (1985, 1987, 1993—> Hollie)(I’m sure it’s CELINE DION and not Angela Winbush or Stephanie Mills or the millions of others who have used this title!)
    Hard To Handle (1991-ish)
    Turn The Beat Around (1994)
    Right Here Waiting (1989) –> Heejun?
    Let’s Stay Together (1983)

39. RodMod says:

Endless Love (1994 or 1996)–> Deandre or Shannon?
    One Sweet Day (1995 or 1996)–> Shannon or Jessica?
    When A Man Loves A Woman (1991/1992/1993-ish)–> Joshua?
    Heaven (1985)–> Erika
    Broken Heart ? (I have no clue!! 1991?)–>Colton
    Love Sneaking Up On You ? (1994)–> Skylar
    The Power of Love (1985, 1987, 1993)–> Hollie
    Hard To Handle (1991-ish)–> Phillip
    Turn The Beat Around (1994)–> Deandre or Shannon?
    Right Here Waiting (1989)–> Heejun
    Let’s Stay Together (1983)–> Elise

LOL! As you all can see. When it comes down to the youngest contestants, this all becomes a mere game of chance. ;)

40. Princess Adora says:

I LOVE Tiffany’s “All This Time”!! I didn’t think anyone else knew that song lol