Ratings: Bachelor Finale Drowned Out By The Voice, Alcatraz Dips to New Low

The Bachelor, facing off against NBC’s robust Voice, hit a bit of a sour note on Monday night, dropping a full third from its year-ago closer to an all-time low for a season finale.

In fact, NBC notes, The Voice (14.3 million total viewers, 5.1 demo rating) bested the ABC dating series by 76 percent among the coveted 18-49 crowd. (For those wondering, The Bach’ was up against original House and Chuck episodes last year, also on a Daylight Savings-impaired night.)

The Bachelor Finale Recap: And the ‘Winner’ Is….

But of course, as I’ll be reminding you all… week… long, we’re in the midst of the Daylight Savings Time doldrums, when moms and/or dads are ostensibly forsaking TV to play badminton outside with the young’uns, so every original outing was down on Monday.

Taking the tiniest hit, it could be pointed out, was NBC’s Smash, which with 7.1 million viewers and a 2.4 rating slipped just 8 and 11 percent. (Advisory: Next week’s episode is much better. Really.)

The Voice itself was down 15 and 18 percent, while Fox’s Alcatraz (5 mil/1.5) — leading out of a House repeat — fell 9 and 11 percent to new series lows.

Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: The Heartbreak Kids

Akin to its lead-in, The Bachelor: After the Final Rose (9.82 mil/3.3) dropped 30 percent year-over-year.

What were you tuned into on Monday night, provided you weren’t engaged in a pick-up bocce game?

1. kevin says:

THE VOICE still rolling, even though it went head to head with the season finale of THE BACHELOR (still boring) but Jamar Rogers aka The Comeback Kid is one of my early faves to win for Team Cee Lo. What will happen next week when The Voice goes up against the new season of DWTS? On the other hand, looks like the fate of ALCATRAZ is still in danger of being canceled heading towards the season or series finale in 13 days.

• Kristen says:

Do you remember Jamar from American Idol? I kept thinking…this was Danny Gokey’s friend…no it isn’t…yes it is… sure enough, HE IS!! I watch way too much tv if I am remembering contestants who didn’t even make it to the live shows on AI THREE years ago…

2. tp says:

When will the Bachelor finally be cancelled? Have any of them stayed together?

• Well says:

Technically Jason met Molly on his season of the Bachelor. He originally picked the other girl and dumped her when he realized he was thinking with the wrong head. Also I think the Bachelorette has produced a couple of marriages.

3. Renee says:

Fox deserves the Alcatraz ratings dive. I hope they lose every Monday in really terrible fashion (yes bitter about Terra Nova’s cancellation when it had decent ratings).

4. Jacob says:

Does this mean Alcatraz’s days are numbered? That would be sad…

• kirads09 says:

I agree. I have enjoyed every episode. They could be a little quicker on revealing clues to the mystery, but are certainly building up to it. But a very solid cast and great storytelling IMO. I think it still deserves a chance. Not optimistic though.

5. Amy says:

Sorry, but Smash is just too inconsistent. I’ve already given up on it. I wasn’t able to fall in love with the characters before the show bored me, which is what’s kept me from completely giving up on Glee despite it being a mess these days.

6. PutAforkINit says:

Shame – ALCATRAZ mixed it up last night and was not as predictable as usual. It is obvious now that it will get cancelled and all the fans will be left getting NO answers.

That’s why these shows don’t get wider audiences in the first place. AWAKE will also suffer the same fate.

Audiences are reluctant to watch these shows with big “mysteries” because the track record for them being cancelled without reveals is too high.

Think “THE EVENT,” “FLASH FORWARD” and so many others.

Maybe networks have to start thinking of new ways to approach these shows. Let their fans know ahead of time that it’s a one or two-season limited series and “all your questions will be answered.” Then people may tune in from the get-go and stay with them.

• kirads09 says:

Maybe ABC is being smart with the River then by starting it with only 8 episodes? You make a good point and I agree.

• Kristen says:

I watch it because of the individual episodes. Sure it would be nice to know the “bigger picture”, but in the end it will be something dumb anyways. I think those kinds of finales are always let downs anyways.

7. Melissa says:

Not surprised about Alcatraz’s low ratings. I finally gave up on it in the middle of the brothers’ episode last week. I just looked at my husband and said “I’m going to bed, I’m done with this show.” I don’t know why it so colossally boring. It should be so much better than it is. The blonde cop played by Sarah Jones is dull and honestly needs a partner who can back her up; Jorge Garcia has put on so much weight I’m afraid for him when he runs; and Sam Neill is just completely unlikeable. You would think by this time some of his back story would be revealed…there’s not even any love interest to keep things interesting. It’s unfortunate because I really wanted to like this show.

8. jennifer says:

The drops for that Alcatraz show really are not that surprising-at least not me. I used to watch it. I bailed out & I’m glad I did. I tried,but,there was so much about it which turned me off. The woman who plays the lead was someone I just didn’t care about-at all. Some of the torture type scenes really bugged me. Also,if I was one of these 63-I don’t know- I may have more than a casual interest in WHY HAVE I NOT AGED? I basically bailed because in some ways this show was b-o-r-i-n-g & repetitive. Any type of revealing of any answers is gonna take sooooo long.NOT WORTH IT! I thought I was in the minority not watching this show,but,the dwindling numbers tell me more & more fans are tired as well. Personally:I’d rather be locked in Alcatraz than watch this show. Honestly,this program is the old bait&switch-promise one thing,but,deliver something else. I was one of those looking forward to it-NOT ANYMORE!!! Thank you.

9. Jake says:

You can’t compare this bachelor to last years ratings because this bachelor it’s ratings we’re the same and actually last night it went to a season high which is prob why the voice dropped a bit. Dancing with the stars starts next week!

10. GS says:

I’ll be watching DWTS after last night and the obvious lack of picking talent the judges have on the Voice. They are picking looks and some really good voices were sent packing cause they didn’t look the part.

• Kristen says:

They are picking looks….AND I THINK THE BATTLE ROUND THING IS COMPLETELY STUPID. First they are all begging people to joint their teams…then they pair them against someone else on their own team that may or may not be a favorite, too!? Why not just draw straws against someone on another team…. it makes no sense to me that you beg someone to be on your team then you dump them because of what they look like or they can’t sing the song the same way as someone else on the team. That Rod Stewart gal had NO chance of winning when she was up against the rocker-gal.

11. jill says:

I really wish Alcatraz was on nother night. I really like it. I watched/recorded it for the first few weeks, then came the voice. I now split my time/recording between the voice & cbs’s comedies.

12. MIKE says:

Alcatraz seems to be getting in Lost territory, where they have too many unanswered questions. I like the show, but would be surprised if there is a season two. Like most fans of a serialized shows in danger, I can only hope there is wrap up movie or episode.

13. Vivian says:

I initially found the concept of Alcatraz interesting, since it is base on actual locations and then just branch out from there…I found it more interesting than Fringe, both shot in Vancouver (under my stupid motto “Watch everything that is shot in your home town rule” I have enjoy a few excellent Sci-Fi shows and cringe though a lot of crappy SyFi movie of the week crap…) but for Fringe this season I found myself dragging to go through the DVD back up, instead of watching it eagerly like last season. In part I think it was because I didn’t like the reset button (introducing Peter to a new time line, where he never existed…) it made me feel like all these wonderful character relationships and experiences we watched develop, doesn’t really mean sh*t.
    Which bring me back to Alcatraz. I like to watch the flash back..and then the contrast of the inmate interact to the present time. But the line of “Oh my god!! How could this be?! You..look exactly the same!! From before…!!” is surely getting tired to a point I kept yelling at the TV, “Yeah, WE KNOW! They didn’t age one day!! Blah Blah Blah…” Another thing was the lack of interesting characters or personality in the Good guy team. The Doctor was interesting, then you go ahead and shot her and put her in a coma with in two episode.

Oh and I still wonder where did they put the prison guard in our present time.

• Doug-H says:

I hope you’ve gone back to Fringe since the last batch of episodes before the latest breather were all great… Fringe this season worked like a novel where there was a bunch of stuff that didn’t make too much sense when first seen but in replay, it does better…

I hope TVLINE’s faith in the show is confirmed… they’ve been pretty accurate so far on renewals..

14. sarah says:

I did not watch this season of the Bachelor. I think many people were turned off when it was out that he chose Courtney…..

15. Paul says:

Americans at large are simply too stupid for quality, serialized, television as evidenced by CBS’s regular ratings success.

• Delon says:

I don’t think Americans at large are stupid, but the great majority of American TV audience is indeed stupid.

16. jennifer says:

Even though I think everyone has the right to watch whatever they want- I tend to agree with Delon. The vast majority of the tv audience must be quite stupid. How else can anyone explain the success of these empty reality shows which seem to go on year after year. I don’t get it. Personally, I have not gotten into some of CBS comedies. Some-like 2 & 1/2 Men and 2 broke girls are just vulgar & disgusting. It seems each year CBS has some new comedy pilots-with each one being more crude than the previous one. I had hoped 2 & 1/2 Men would perhaps get just a little better with Ashton,but,from some comments I’ve heard-it’s still just as bad. I know life isn’t fair,but,IMHO: I don’t think it is fair that good,quality programs get cancelled-while-the garbage stays on the air year after year. And,we (tv fans) must always remember this: Just because more viewers watch a certain program-doesn’t necessarily denote such program as being good-garbage is still garbage!! The bigger ratings only mean more people have voluntarily chosen to watch garbage. I wonder how many of you out there feel the same way I do? Thank you.

17. Fernando says:

I’m so happy Smash kept that 7 million rating raise they had last week. I like smash n I know we are not 11 million but 7 million of us enjoy smash n are liking it it’s better then some other shows ratings on NBC. Parenthood has 5 million n so do the lastest airings of SVU, the comdeys only get 3 to 4 million Im not saying smash is better then those shows but it’s getting better ratings so NBC should be proud of thier ratings. Smash deserves a season 2.

18. jennifer says:

^THIS^ x INFINITY DOUG YOUR COMMENT ABOUT FRINGE ARE SO TRUE. AS A FRINGE FAN-YOU MAY HAVE TO WATCH SOME OF THE EPISODES THIS SEASON (LIKE YOU HAVE SAID) AND OVERALL, THINGS START TO MAKE MORE SENSE. PERSONALLY, I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY OF NEXT WEEK FOR ONE OF THE BEST PROGRAMS ON TV TO MAKE ITS’RETURN Thank you.

19. Joy says:

Honestly, I was not that excited about Alcatraz but I’ve given it a shot and I’m sad if it has to go. I have to agree with the fact the characters in this show are just NOT interesting at all. However, there are gems in the show. The only reason I keep watching is because the prisoners that are introduced each week are just worth it. Their back story is interesting and their characters engaging. But honestly, a show needs more than just a story, more than just well-written scripts. It needs the right main actors/actresses.