Matt Davis Joins CW Drama Pilot Cult -- What Does It Mean for Vampire Diaries' Alaric?

Vampire Diaries Matt DavisAre Alaric’s days on The Vampire Diaries numbered?

Matt Davis — who plays the CW thriller’s resident vampire hunter/teacher — is jumping to another project on the netlet with a lead role in the drama pilot Cult, our sister site Deadline reports.

Vampire Diaries Scoop: Can Damon Tame Stefan? Plus: The Love Triangle ‘Comes to a Head’

Davis will play Jeff, a journalist blogger who teams with a young production assistant (played by Melrose Place‘s Jessica Lucas) working on a popular TV show called Cult. After his brother goes missing, the two start investigating the show’s rabid fans, who may be re-creating the crimes from the program. Robert Knepper (Prison Break) and Alona Tal (Supernatural) also star as actors from the series’ show-within-a-show.

The project comes from Gossip Girl producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and writer Rockne O’Bannon (V, Farscape).

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Before you totally freak out about Alaric’s livelihood, Deadline notes that “Davis will be available to make guest appearances in future seasons of Vampire Diaries.”

1. Kat says:

NOOOOOOO ALARIC! Either he dies, or he’s the serial killer. No, no, no! He’s my favorite!

• lorna says:

Agreed. I’ll quit watching if they make Torrey D a regular, as well. She’s great but not for TVD. I love my Ric! This irks me.

• Ari says:

I’ve been getting the feeling all season that he wouldn’t make it to season 4. He’s really been getting the Aunt Jenna edit this season. His only storyline seems to be Alaric is killed, waits dead on the floor for his ring to resurrect him, repeat. I’m sad because he was like a younger sexier Giles. Alaric could have been so much more but TVD underutilized him.

• Nina says:

I’ve always felt the writers didn’t know how to use him. I could tell from interviews that they loved Matt Davis and showed an interest in keeping him. But I think they originally intended to kill him (like Castiel on Supernatural) but were caught off guard by his performance and popularity.

2. Alex says:

Oh, he’s a goner. I really really wish I didn’t know about this. I can’t even get mad at TVLine, I guess, they’re just reporting it. But damn it, I really feel like I’ve been spoiled. And I read TVLine for teases and fun news, not for serious show-ruining level spoilers. I didn’t think they were in that business.

3. Jenna says:

NOOOOOOOOO! I heart him! The Ric and Damon bromance is epic and hilarious! Hasn’t Elena and Jeremy lost enough parental figures? Someone has to be the voice of reason and/or the only real adult amonst all the kiddies.

• TheBeach says:

So true! I love the Ric/Damon bromance. Plus if Ric left, it would reduce the hotness quotient a lot.

• ChrisGa says:

I have to agree about the hotness factor diminishing if Matt Davis leaves; everybody raves about Somerhalder and Wesley though neither of them do a thing for me(though I must say Somerhalder as an actor on this show can spin gold out of even the crappiest material). I actually think Davis is the hottest guy on the show next to Michael Trevino(who needs to come back soon and wearing as little as possible). On a serious note though, I would miss the Ric/Damon dynamic and I actually like that he’s turned into Elena’s(and until recently, Jeremy’s) guardian almost by default.

• Ari says:

They’ve really been grooming Caroline’s mother to take over that adult/voice of reason role. I will really miss the Ric/Damon bromance. One of the best on TV (at least it was before Ric all but disappeared this year). :(

4. ggny says:

well that is just stupid…First Jenna then Jeremy and now Alaric? Lame i think im done with TVD. Dont really care about Elena being emo over Brothers forever

• lorna says:

Agreed- Elena and Jeremy have lost too many guardians, and Ric is awesome. I feel like they are doing this tob bring Torrey Devitto on so she can be with her precious husband, GRRRRRRRRR. I’ll decide after s3 if I’m going to continue watching.

• TVD1912 says:

Jeremy will come back.

5. tvaddict says:

NO! Cult seems like it would be a good show but I need Alaric to stay on TVD

6. Amy says:

I really have a love-hate relationship with spoilers. For instance, right now I’m all “Nooooo Alaric I love you don’t leave meeee!!,” but at the same time, not reading this was never an option. I think this show has way too much power over my emotional wellbeing.

• Danielle H says:

LOL this. I’m so mad I saw this, but it may not be an incoming death 100%. Perhaps Ric just gets fed up with Mystic Falls at the end of this season and goes on the road, and we only see him sometimes. Bah… these upfront castings SUCK for spoilers!

7. Dean says:

As cool as the pilot sounds, I kinda hope it doesn’t get picked up or they recast the role just so he can stay on TVD.

8. dan says:

Alaric is such a goner. Maybe it’s for the best, Elena will graduate high school and can finally be an adult who doesn’t need a parent figure.

9. lara says:

This is NOT okay – I get that Alaric is basically a completely unnecessary character now that his ex-wife and girlfriend are dead, but TVD is becoming unrecognizable now with all these core characters just going away. And, this makes me think that Alaric is the serial killer.

10. Amy says:

I do not like this news. I know it’s childish of me but I hope “Cult” doesnt get picked up so Matt can stay on VD. All the other parental figures in Elena’s life are gone. We cant lise Alaric too! Plus he and Damon together are all sorts of awesome!

11. SomeStranger says:

I wish Matt the best of luck and I hope what the new show offers him is significantly better than what TVD offered (hurtful if it isn’t), but my heart is broken. I think I may love Dalaric better than anyone on the show (aside from Damon on his own). Alaric showing up once in a while as a “guest” is so wrong and I’ll miss him horribly. (They’d damned well better show Damon bummed as hell about it and missing him horribly too; when’s the last time he had such a good friend?) Will this also mean the end of his fan fic? :*-(

12. Rae says:

I may be alone here, but I hope that this does get picked up, then I can watch Matt without all the other rubbish that TVD is turning into.
    And it will mean much, much more Matt on my screen as a main character instead of the supporting (and often) forgotten role he plays now.

• Nina says:

You’re not alone! I agree. I stopped watching VD awhile back and I have been missing Matt Davis. I always thought he was wasted playing Alaric, who barely gets any screen time or good storylines.
      I really hope this show gets picked up. Matt Davis and Robert Knepper on my screen weekly would be a treat!

13. Fabricio says:

It was about time. Alaric is like Kenny from South Park. He dies many times on the show. Alaric would be return in flashbacks or like a ghost or zombie.

Good Riddance

14. s says:

I’ll miss Ric but I hope for Matt and Robert (knew him from Prison Break) that the show gets picked up and does well and is good. Great actors.

15. Vic says:

Well no offense to the other actors cast in the pilot or the cast, crew, and production but I am actively rooting for this new show to fail. I adore Matt and his TVD character!

16. Fi says:

Good for the actor, he deserves a bigger role.

17. Oh says:

Good for Matt Davis but all these pilots aren’t good news for fans of current CW shows. I want Nikita to get renewed!

18. Oh, good for him as an actor, but I love Alaric on the Vampire Diaries! I love his “bromance” relationship with Damon, and he’s one of the few characters who isn’t either a 1000+ year old vampire or a high school student. They just need to write him a better storyline. At any rate, they better not kill him off. :\ Also, won’t it be kind of odd to have him appearing in two shows running at the same time on the same network? I can’t think of an instance where that’s happened before, although I’m sure there has been…

• Puppyluv says:

Actually, the actress who’s playing Rose on TVD is also Maggie on The Walking Dead. Not the same network, but during the same season. I say half a season with Matt/Alaric on TVD is better than a whole season without him!

19. sue says:

he’s toast

20. Boone says:

The only interesting pilot by the CW.. thanks to Rockne O’Bannon

21. lori hornack says:

Nooooooo I love Alaric he is my favorite. Matt Davis is sm excellent actor I absolutely adore him. Please don’t let him go..