Mad Men Exclusive: Jon Hamm Named Producer

Get More: Exclusive, News

Jon Hamm Mad MenSpoiler Alert: When Mad Men‘s fifth season finally premieres on March 25, one of the episode’s big surprises will be revealed during the show’s closing credits.

The eagle-eyed among you will notice that there’s a new name listed among the producers: that of Jon Hamm.

Sources confirm that the new three-year deal that the actor inked last summer not only afforded him a whopping eight-figure paycheck and a chance to direct an episode, it also scored him a coveted producer title as well.

While it’s hardly uncommon for an actor to be made a producer — particularly an actor who’s as pivotal to a series as Hamm is to Mad Men — it is the first time that the AMC hit has doled out such a perk.

The big question: Does the new credit mean Hamm can enter Mad Men‘s Fort Knox-esque writers room without a blindfold?!

Tags: , ,

Comments (15)

• Oh cool! Dying to see the ep he directed.

Comment by Dani – March 13, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s cool for Hamm. Remember him in What About Brian? a few years ago…

Comment by Nick59 – March 13, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I don’t, Nick59! And I watched that show! And LOVED it. I remember Rachel Lefebvre, Stacy Kiebler, Matthew Davis, Rosanna Arquette, Vanessa from Gossip Girl, and so many others, but I so DON’T remember Jon Hamm in that. Who did he play? In answer to Ausi’s “big question”: Maybe, but only if his girlfriend has demanded he ask for that. She seems the one behind all of this. She seems very driven for that sort of thing, he doesn’t. Put the baseball bats away, posters, I said SEEMS.

Comment by april-ann – March 13, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonder if he’ll arrange for certain Z-list female celebrities to appear?

Comment by cuius – March 13, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who? Do you mean his wife?

Comment by Sam – March 14, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘EIGHT FIGURE PAYCHECK OVER THREE YEARS?” Crikey, mate. That’s more bucks that the lamented Lisa Edelstein was making whilst co-starring on one of the top-rated NETWORK shows. That’s some $250K per episode (although I don’t know how much of that is “producer” dollars). Yowza!

Comment by Sux to be ME! – March 13, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One day I want to learn what stars with producers’ credits actually do as producers on their shows, because I’ve always had a sneaking suspicion those kinds of credits are just a title-only kind of thing without really taking on any extra work. That sounded snarkier than I meant it. I love Jon Hamm, and I do wish him all success. He seems like a really great guy in real life, and he is a pretty tremendous actor. I’d say he got robbed at last year’s Emmys, but I was actually jumping up and down on the couch over Kyle Chandler winning it, so I won’t say that.

Comment by Amber – March 13, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You hit the nail on the head – in most of the cases, a producer credit is nothing more than a vanity credit for an actor. There are exceptions: Jerry Seinfeld was actually the showrunner of “Seinfeld” during its last two seasons, and some actors on “The Office” – Mindy Kaling, B.J. Novak, and Paul Lieberstein – are actually writer/producers and are credited as such.

Comment by Miffy – March 13, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well.. Maybe it’s a good thing, but his not the only one who had become producers..
    But in his case, it probably give something more to his series.. His creative side will come handy to create better promos for the show.. Because honestly, there are a bit boring!
    And help with the processus of the storylines…

Just take the example from HLaurie- who became producer at the end of season 4 of [H]ouse…and did a great job promoting the series by putting his touch creating amazing “storylines” for the photoshoots/promo posters (Snakeonacane-ssn6) and directed an episode too…

And sometimes, actors are better producers/directors- than thoses one on their series…I’m pretty sure that JHamm will do well

Comment by Jules – March 14, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how much more he gets paid than the rest of the cast..

Comment by anna – March 14, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of any Hilton or Kardashian, but to blatantly single out these folks from an overwhelming selection of Hollywood scourge to publicly demean, Hamm is a no-class loser.

Comment by socalgal – March 14, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder too. A few years ago he was at $100K an episode and January Jones had said the cast was not that well paid (I think she meant regular actors on cable shows). I know none of the others have made any top list of actors being paid. It could be as low as 25-50K an ep if they are paid like broadcast stars. Jared Harris did mention a 3 year contract whereas before I think it was yearly (like the show). Maybe they got better deals too. IDK. It’s clear Hamm is well above the rest

Comment by SnazzyO – March 16, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t care about a show created in the 21st Century that ignores the ethnic realities of the 1960s. It’s as if this show has whitewashed history. I understand it’s fiction, but the show’s creators care more about getting the stye of clothing and hair correct than they do the social context of their period.

Comment by Gary Anderson – March 23, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is interesting, because, having been in broadcast and advertising in this time period, i see how broadly they are playing the characters. There was a peculiarly hypocritical aspect to male/female (wedded) relationships back then. The sexism was not so simplistically blatant . . .people “acted” as if nothing overtly sexual was going on “acted” very “proper.”. . schizophrenic, actually. On the surface, everyone was playing nice . . .most wives never saw the “backside” of their husband out and about picking up other women. Before I became a “corporate wife”, I was a girlfriend – when I had the opportunity to watch married men pickup on women during the week – and visiting their homes and meeting their children on weekends. How does a woman deal with that sort of hypocrisy? shut the @#$#$$ up – do YOU want to be the reason a home breaks up? I remember a 3 a.m. closing of a bar in Chicago where a couple of the “girls” said “who wants to take us home?” – and the married man of my then-husband raised his hand . . .while I knew his wife, who taught kindergarten, had been home asleep since 10 p.m. Not sure how young people deal with this crap today. Maybe there’s more honesty?

Comment by grea – March 25, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always enjoyed watching the actress Julia Ormand, who was an A list actress back in the day playing the lead role with Brad Pitt in”Legends of the Fall”. I was watching an episode with her playing Marie, the mother-in law of Don Draper. She is still a very attractive and a strong actress. At the end of the episode, she performs a blow job on one of the main characters where Don’s daughter sees the act. Is this the only work an aging actress can get? What a sad commentary on the roles for women when they are no longer young.

Comment by diana erickson – July 26, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post