Idology: Jeremy Rosado on Iovine Insults, Nice-Guy Edit and His Ballad-Heavy Repertoire

Jeremy Rosado is living proof that sometimes, nice guys finish 13th. And while that’s not exactly where the 19-year-old Florida native was hoping his American Idol Season 11 journey would end, he’s got an upbeat, philosophical attitude about it all. Rosado sat down for his Idology interview to talk about the tough comments he got from mentor Jimmy Iovine and judge Steven Tyler, that weird bubbling pool featured in the Vegas-round solos, and why you didn’t hear him cover more uptempo material during his Idol run. So press play below for the interview, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jaime says:

I loved the interview! Jeremy is so sweet.

2. Cnuck in Germany says:

Great interview; Jeremy seems like a genuinely lovely person. Glad you’ll be doing this again this year. The interview setting seemed a bit sterile though.. all those pics on the wall.. are not of you?

3. ellenda says:

Love Jeremy. What a great guy and an amazing singer. Thanks for the interview Michael.

4. Kristi says:

What a sweetheart! He has such a nice voice too!

5. Louis says:

What a genuinely nice guy. I really enjoyed his performances. So sorry he didn’t make it farther. He deserved to stay longer than the big dude.

6. darcy's evil twin says:

Great interview with a very nice kid. Unfortunately “Ribbon in the Sky” wasn’t his best performance but I sure wish him well.
    Michael – that tie! Warren Beatty from “Shampoo” wants his tie back!

7. Pia says:

that was such a great interview.

still not over what an absolutely LOVELY guy he is. I just want to hug him and be his best friend.

but I do hope he gets another chance to do what he loves, he definitely deserves it!

8. Kelly says:

Michael your ensemble is FIERCE!

9. Ashley says:

Such a nice kid.

10. paisley says:

Sweetie! Good luck, Jeremy! Thank you, Michael, for these interviews — brings a bit of closure.

11. RTW says:

What a nice kid without a single ounce of self-entitlement. I really, really do wish him the best, and 13th out of thousands ain’t too shabby at all!

12. James says:

Weaksauce Slezak…I demand these videos all be 15 mins or more!

13. Brigette says:

So there IS seating chart! Why do I feel like a great conspiracy has been revealed? It really shouldn’t be a surprise…

• Ken says:

I’m not sure that there’s ALWAYS a seating chart. If you recall on results night that whenever they called a group down they were all sitting next to each other. If my memory serves correctly this isn’t always the case.

14. Meghan says:

Great interview, Jeremy is really sweet. I agree with one of the above commentators that it brings a bit of closure – especially because Jeremy did not get a sing out performance.

15. Cannago says:

Love TV Line; Love Idology; Love Slezak. I want more!

16. Kevin C. says:

So the producers picked for Jeremy in Top 24 week, for Elise in Top 13 week…do they ever get to pick their OWN choice of songs?

• Persephone says:

The producers picked ALL songs in Top 24 week. All contestants submitted a list of five or so songs they might want to sing, and then the producers picked their songs for them.

17. David H says:

Nice guy. Good interview. I think if he had performed “Overjoyed,” which would have suited his power ballad voice, he might still be there.

18. Karen says:

What a sweetheart….

19. ladyhelix says:

Wonderful!! You always bring out the best in people – and ask such interesting questions. Thank You!!

20. Albert says:

Idol needs to do interviews like these BEFORE voting. All Idol site interviews focus on the emphasized backstory or trivial things like favorite color or band. They’re always highly edited too. Idol’s edit portrayed Jeremy as an inoffensive emotional nice guy, which in many ways is true, but this interview gave him some depth and allowed him to explain his song choices and style. I wasn’t a fan before, but I like the guy now.

21. M says:

Mr. Slezak,

What is this strange thing happening to your beard? It looks like you had an accident with the razor.

22. Cat says:

He seems like a sweet kid. Not a hint of d-baggery anywhere in that interview.

23. Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

Kudos to Jeremy’s family for raising such a nice kid. In a way, I’m glad he is out at this point of the competition — he says he doesn’t want to be classified as a specific “type” of artist and that is EXACTLY what Idol does to these young singers. I wish him great success as he continues his career and hope to see him perform as a professional some day.

24. Erica says:

Slezak I love you and your interviews and this is another great one. Jer-bear seems just as sweet here as he did on the show. Just a quick note, Robbie Rosen sang Gravity during his Hollywood Week.

25. Lana says:

I was one of the few that preferred Jeremy to Elise and Jermaine and some others but knew he was too sweet for the masses, he didn’t have the killer abs either. I wish him the best and hope he makes a killer CD.

26. MamaLis says:

GREAT interview! Very likeable person! Plus everything Michael does is brilliant. GOOD LUCK JEREMY! MAKE A GREAT C.D.!