American Idol Reportedly Disqualifies Jermaine Jones: Who (If Anyone) Should Replace Him?

Jermaine Jones, your journey ends Wednesday night. Or at least that appears to be the fate of the American Idol Season 11 finalist, who posted a message on his official Twitter account (@JJonesAI11) on Tuesday night that stated, “Awww I will no longer b on the show.” (The Tweet has since been deleted from Jones’ feed, but was liberally screen-grabbed and retweeted beforehand.)

Idology: Jeremy Rosado on Iovine Insults, Nice-Guy Edit and His Ballad-Heavy Repertoire

The news of Jones’ ouster was seemingly broken by TMZ, which claimed that a contestant was being disqualified after producers learned he concealed the fact that he was arrested twice — once for a violent crime — and has outstanding warrants. And while a Fox spokesperson declined to comment on this story, TMZ went on to name Jones as the singer in question, saying that he will appear on Wednesday’s live performance telecast before his ejection from the competition.

If the rumors are true, this will mark Jones’ second elimination from the show this season. During the “Green Mile” Top 24 announcement, Jones was given the old heave-ho by J.Lo, Randy, and Steven — before being brought back the following week, at the end of the “Top 13 Boys” semifinal performance show, in what Idol producers heavily touted was a “dramatic twist.” After closing the performance show with Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father,” Jones advanced to the next round, then survived the first week of the finals despite middling reviews for his take on Stevie Wonder’s “Knocks Me Off My Feet.”

All this has me wondering: If Jones really does get the boot, will Idol producers bring back an eliminated hopeful to take his place? Or will Thursday night’s results show just turn out to be a kumbaya, “everyone is safe!” affair? And if an already evicted singer gets a new lease on life, who should it be?

Personally, it doesn’t really seem fair to add another singer to the competition — especially given that the 11 remaining singers have already endured two weeks of voice-busting, nerve-wracking live shows, Jimmy Iovine’s tart-tongued criticisms, and the voting whims of the Idoloonie Nation. But, of course, nobody ever said life was fair. And if Uncle Nigel deems it necessary/exciting/ratings-boosting to add another singer, I’d say why not go with Candice Glover, so ridiculously cut in Vegas after slaying a Buddy Holly cover alongside Jessica Sanchez and Deandre Brackensick. Also possibly acceptable: Hallie Day, Creighton Fraker, Jen Hirsh, David Leathers Jr, Ariel Sprague, and Season 10’s Kendra Chantelle, Lauren Turner, or Robbie Rosen.

Okay, okay…maybe I fly my Kendra flag a little too often. And thus, I turn it over to you. Should Idol bring someone back to replace Jermaine? And if they insist on doing it, who should it be? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Pete says:

I don’t think they should bring anyone back–the only person that would be remotely fair would be Jeremy, and he’s not going to be ready in time. This will probably lead to a non-elimination week.

Also, this hurts Shannon more than anyone else. She’s now clearly the weakest link of the group, and it’ll be more and more apparent she’s lacking in what contestants like Jessica and Hollie have.

2. JJ says:

Jeremy got a second chance, then was eliminated as the lowest male vote. To bring him back would be ridiculous. Basically, he really was eliminated twice. I am not sure anyone should come back, but if they did bring anyone back it should be one of the second chance individuals, like Reed or Jen.

3. eric says:

JEREMY! and make him do an upbeat song!

4. Leo says:

This is an incredibly contrived ratings gimmick. We are in season 11… and everyone knows this has happened before. By now, background checks should happen before anyone is allowed to advance beyond Hollywood Week. YAWN.

Since this is all contrived, I’m sure Uncle Nigel already has a plan in store for us. The simplest solution would be to give Jeremy Rosado another chance. Hopefully it’s something more exciting than that. I think having America “vote” for his replacement, choosing one of the eliminated contestants from the top 24 would get the most ratings. Unless Uncle Nigel has another Scottybot/Laurenbot up his sleeve?

5. Kristine says:

When Corey Clarke was disqualified they didn’t bring back or eliminate anyone else that week! They combined that week’s vote totals with the next week totals and the contestant with the lowest combined total was eliminated the following week!

6. Dark Defender says:

No doubt in my mind this was a scheme for ratings by Nigel. The guy has become transparent since he ordained Lauren Alaina as the second coming and. Manipulated the results show wording by Ryan to not show how few votes that girl got each week. They could kill Frenchie’s dream season one (was it?) before the live shows aired… And now they want us to believe with a straight face they didn’t do a simple warrants check before the wild card. Round? I don’t buy it and no one else should.

I do agree with the other posters… Use the judge’s save and only eliminate one contestant that following week… Or send no one home during Idol Gives Back.

And while they do that… Let’s all jump ship to the Voice where it is even more orchestrated as they give their chosen one the record deal (you don’t think Javier Colon had it in the bag one day one last season?)

Ok, ok… But I. Do have a nice plot of land I’d lie to sell ya…..

7. Jordan says:

Eben Franckewitz or Reed Grimm :)

8. Tim says:

If this show is being manipulated, they’re doing an awfully poor job of it. Except for getting lucky by Scotty winning — who knew he was going to be so popular among the hillbillies? — they’ve had a string of “winners” that have been complete and total duds.

9. Jason says:

I say bring in Lilly Scott or Katelynn Epperly!!! Or Amelia Lily or Kaitly Koch!! Or Haley Reinhart!!!

10. Jason says:

Here’s what they should do every year after the save two eliminated contestants go! This year just have one elimination after the save!!! Or bring back Lilly Scott! On x factor last year franki was kicked out for doing blow like five weeks into the season and they brought back Amelia Lily and she was great!!!

11. Jason says:

Next year is time for an all star season! Pick two contestants from every season that did not place in the top 2 as the top 22 and three other wild cards! Season 1 tamayra gray and Ryan Starr, season 2 Kimberly Caldwell and kimberly Locke, season 3 don’t remember, season four, Constantine and ? Season five – Bucky and paris season six Sanjaya and Doolittle season seven Castro and Smithson season 8 iraheta and Jesse langseth, season nine Lilly Scott and katelynn Epperly season 10 reinhart and Casey season 11 Phil Philips and skylar laine(if one of them makes top 2 holly cavanaugh)

• idologyfan says:

This could actually be a really interesting idea…maybe if the ratings keep falling off they will try it in the next season or two.

• Dan says:

Or even try a smaller version of this in the fall….with like 8 people–It wouldn’t be a full season, since they wouldn’t do auditions. I’d love to see some of these people come back.

• Paul says:

Or they could do Celebrity Idol – where celebrities that do not sing for a living get a chance to go through the experience – just think you could have William Shatner singing on Nirvana night.

12. Kendra says:

Please stop the unnecessary bringing up of Kendra Chantelle. She has nothing to do with this season. I am a Kendra fan and follow her on twitter and by all indications, she seems to have moved on. I hope Slezak moves on too.

• darcy's evil twin says:

You’re taking this message board WAY too seriously.

• HarmonicaVirgin says:

Umm. . .DET, it seems you hang out here a LOT and have impassioned views about the show. So, I’m not sure why you would mock this poster simply for expressing that she’s annoyed with the Kendra talk. Especially when it’s pretty clear that you take this message board pretty seriously yourself.

13. dave says:

Bring back Creighton Fraker. He killed on the Cyndi Lauper song. I really hated Jermaine. If he had stayed on the show, I would have muted all future performances. He was so unlikable on the live show last week.

14. raftrap says:

Kendra would be great, but this show is sometimes so evil, that they would probably make Eben return AND make him personally evict Jermaine Jones from the premises.

15. Lo says:

They shouldn’t eliminate anyone this week, but should combine this week and next weeks’ vote totals. Make Thursday’s show all about the contestants and air bonus footage, finalists’ auditions we haven’t seen, etc.

16. JVC says:

Before going to bed I was going to watch Jeremy’s interview with slezak but when I saw that jermaine was disqualified my jaw dropped. Didn’t see that coming at all. As for bringing back a contestant, I don’t think it should happen, as slezak said it would be unfair to other contestants who used every ounce of there blood, sweat, and tears to get to the finals. Even if they could bring Jeremy back they shouldn’t cause he wasn’t going to win anyway, and I do like him. Here is an idea, let the performance night commence as planned and jermiane be the elimination this week. Then carrying over this week’s votes and add them to next week’s votes to determine our top 10. How about that?

17. aymee says:

Hahaha! Gentle Giant my foot!

18. min says:

IKR. Jermaine was not gentle at all with ‘the cowboy’ (forget his name, sorry) after they sang their duet. I thought he was going to punch cowboy for a moment. The fact that they kept calling him the Gentle Giant on the show really makes me believe that this was a set-up by the AI producers. We saw with our own eyes that he is far from gentle. Lots of lies here.

19. Owen says:

I don’t want to watch tonight. I don’t care what he did, I do not want to see someone get embarrassed or publicly flogged on live TV. It makes me dislike “American Idol”. This is a big mistake, when just this week, fans have turned against the obvious hypocrisy and manipulations of “The Voice” and deciding the classic singing contest is the best…this will dumb “Idol” down to just another stupid reality show…Idol has never really reveled in the tawdry. Why start now?

• Owen says:

Also disgusting? The amount of racism I’m reading in regards to this. Not necessarily on this particular board (though there’s been a bit) but on a lot on others.

• Carol says:

I agree that I hate to see him publicly embarrassed, as they reportedly filmed him as he got the news that he was disqualified (and they will undoubtedly show that footage). They should just make a brief statement and move on with the show.

20. Katy B. says:

No, they shouldn’t.

21. kim says:

No….let’s keeping this “train” moving along!

22. Betsy says:

I probably won’t even bother to watch now – they’ll all sing well and Jermaine is outta-there, so whatever. ho hum. I’ll just wait for Slezak’s recap and Idology :)

23. connerc says:

What’s the purpose of making Jermaine appear live on Wednesday’s show so they can eliminate him? Ratings, I guess.

24. Gale says:

In the state where I live, I can go on a website and see within
    a minute whether someone has a criminal history. Why hasn’t this
    been uncovered before now?

25. chistosa says:

While I do not believe for one minute that they did not know about this before they brought him back, I am repulsed by their intent to have him “appear” on tonight’s show. If he is guilty of deceiving them, he should be disqualified but don’t exploit him in the name of drama and ratings. His situation is already public knowledge and if that is not humiliating enough, they are going to publicly barbecue him. Odious, repulsive behavior on their parts and I only hope that someone finds some dirt on Nigel and treats him the same way. Regarding elimination, I feel strongly that they should not bring anyone back, have an elimination of the remaining contestants and only eliminate one the night following the judges’ save.

• Paul says:

I suspect if they show the footage, it is because he has given permission that it be so, possibly paid for the rights on it.

26. VJW says:

Reed Grimm has more musical talent than most of those kids in the top 13. It’s a shame his style doesn’t mesh with the tweenie-boppers that do all the voting. The guy deserves better than Idol….

27. Eurydice says:

I don’t understand the TMZ story. If it’s already all over the news that Jermaine’s been disqualified, if he himself knows about it and has tweeted about it, they why on earth would he agree to appear on the live performance show so he could be disqualified in front of the whole country?

28. Davey says:

Bring back anyone but that joker Reed Grimm.

29. Johnny says:

They gotta get people to watch Thursday’s show, so they’ll probably insist that someone is going home, and then no one will go home.

30. Carmen says:

In the past they brought back the last contestant to be let go – so that would be Jeremy Rosado. If they bring someone back it should be him.

31. Tom says:

I don’t if anyone is familiar with the X Factor UK version, but they started with 12 contestants and after the FIFTH week a contestant was ejected and they brought in another contestant named Amelia. It was like in the US X Factor when there were four categories with four acts each and the judges had to choose one to go home. The X Factor UK version let the public vote on these four judge-eliminated acts and Amelia got to go straight to the top 7 as a result! And she ended up finishing in 3rd place. Not bad for not even making the top 12 originally. Anyway, the point of this ramble is to say that I could see them bringing someone back, especially if it was the judges who eliminated them and not America.

32. Ross says:

Are they really making him show up? Usually, Idol tries to pretend that person was on the show (Joanna Pacitti? Chris Golightly?). I hope they address it, but not in a way that will demean or embarass him–just say something happened and he is no longer competing.

In other news, anyone else notice his twitter is gone?

33. Name That Tune says:

Bring back Jeremy Rosado. That kid deserves a second chance

34. Lee says:

I wish they would replace Jermaine. I am such an Idol fan and this is the first year I just can’t get into the contestants. Most of the females look and sound the same and other than Heejun (sp?), there is no one really different in the male group. I hope they bring in someone unique and exciting.

• Devon says:

Thank you!!! Bring back someone whose unique and exciting. Philip Philips aint doin it for me or Elise unfortunately

• HarmonicaVirgin says:

Totally agree. Phillip Phillips, like who cares? There are a million fratty guys with guitars in the world. He bores me.

35. Sandi says:

They cannot bring back another contestant to fill the void. It would be completely unfair given that an elimination has already taken place. The only person they could possibly bring back would be Jeremy and, yes, that would be comical given that they’ve already “saved” him once.
    I have the PERFECT solution! Let them all sing and let people vote this week. However, no one goes home. Instead, the votes are combined with next week’s vote totals and the lowest vote getter of this week and last week combined goes home. Oh yeah!

• JVC says:

Sandi that is a good and perfect idea this week. They did this stunt in season 6 during idol gives back. It would also be good they don’t mention the bottom 3. Keep all of them in the dark for next week, it would make it real interesting in forming the top 10. I say that because I don’t want the judges to invoke that save of theirs at top 11 like they did last season. And it’s totally to bring someone back from the top 24. I was disappointed that jermaine was brought, but I’ll be extremely pissed if eben, creighton, and especially reed are resurrected from elimination.

36. mallory says:

i think if anyone eben should come back him or no one period!

37. Merlyn says:

I agree with the commenter who said that ratings would decrease if Idol announced tonight that everyone was safe. The solution is to go through with the results show, have the lowest vote getter sing for the save, then dramatically announce that no one is actually leaving. That way people will still tune in for the show, but they even out the number of contestants.

I also think that arresting him tonight on the live show would be fun to watch, but I wouldn’t want to embarrass him in front of millions of people.

• paul says:

It would be a first for IDOL, and talked about it for quite a while after the season ends. If one wanted name recognition this could do it for an aspiring singer after the sentence played out.

I suspect there are quite a few people who would PAY to get arrested with 15-18 million viewers.

If it happens, I suspect Jermaine got a smart entertainment lawyer and/or got paid for the priviledge.

38. blingedup.susan says:

I don’t know what they’re going to do this week, but they certainly shouldn’t just NOT cut anyone. That would be boring, boring, boring, and a waste of time for everyone watching and voting. I think that would be way too irritating to viewers and voters.

It’s really not fair to bring anyone back either.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but I don’t like either of those….

39. Devon says:

I find it very sad that so many people think they shouldn’t bring someone back. Jermaine stole someones spot when he got brought back. Why shouldnt one of the top 24 get that chance too. I wish that it would be Creighton because i have a feeling he could pull a Bennie and the Jets moment in that he comes out and slays it when no one expects him too. Of course this wont happen but its nice to dream

40. James says:

Reed is the only logical choice…Anyone who disagrees with me is a fop!

41. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Heads up, guys: video footage shows that Jermaine has flown home to Philadelphia, which means he won’t be on the show tonight. I am also in the camp against bringing back someone who was cut earlier. It would be a waste of their time and ours. My first choice would be to not eliminate anyone this week and then go on as usual. No need to drag this out for too long.

42. corey says:

they could just give the judges a ‘save’ this year and say that now the judges can save a person one week and the next week only 1 person will be voted off, not 2 as usual

43. The Squatch says:

Bring back Justin Guarini… if you can find him.

44. john says:

Heck, why not Kendra? It makes as much sense as the show often does and as much sense as bringing anyone else in.

I think they just

45. Shel says:

Obviously, they decided not to bring anyone back. And while I had some favorites from the early rounds that I would have loved to see again, my first thought was that they might just bring Jeremy back – last one out, first one back. I would have been fine with that, too. I think it would have been fairer than anyone else also, because he had sung as much as the others at that point.

46. terri moon says:

and who is perfect???? none of those ridicoulous,egotistical judges have a past??!! it,s about his talent, not his past. doesn”t: God forgive?” i didn”t even like his voice, but the fact that he was let go because of his past, i guess he does not deserve a second chance in the ryan secreast celebrity show. shame on you people. your are all disgusting! ps i am not a jesus freak, just a good person with true morals who has a tiny past.