American Idol Reportedly Disqualifies Jermaine Jones: Who (If Anyone) Should Replace Him?

Jermaine Jones, your journey ends Wednesday night. Or at least that appears to be the fate of the American Idol Season 11 finalist, who posted a message on his official Twitter account (@JJonesAI11) on Tuesday night that stated, “Awww I will no longer b on the show.” (The Tweet has since been deleted from Jones’ feed, but was liberally screen-grabbed and retweeted beforehand.)

Idology: Jeremy Rosado on Iovine Insults, Nice-Guy Edit and His Ballad-Heavy Repertoire

The news of Jones’ ouster was seemingly broken by TMZ, which claimed that a contestant was being disqualified after producers learned he concealed the fact that he was arrested twice — once for a violent crime — and has outstanding warrants. And while a Fox spokesperson declined to comment on this story, TMZ went on to name Jones as the singer in question, saying that he will appear on Wednesday’s live performance telecast before his ejection from the competition.

If the rumors are true, this will mark Jones’ second elimination from the show this season. During the “Green Mile” Top 24 announcement, Jones was given the old heave-ho by J.Lo, Randy, and Steven — before being brought back the following week, at the end of the “Top 13 Boys” semifinal performance show, in what Idol producers heavily touted was a “dramatic twist.” After closing the performance show with Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father,” Jones advanced to the next round, then survived the first week of the finals despite middling reviews for his take on Stevie Wonder’s “Knocks Me Off My Feet.”

All this has me wondering: If Jones really does get the boot, will Idol producers bring back an eliminated hopeful to take his place? Or will Thursday night’s results show just turn out to be a kumbaya, “everyone is safe!” affair? And if an already evicted singer gets a new lease on life, who should it be?

Personally, it doesn’t really seem fair to add another singer to the competition — especially given that the 11 remaining singers have already endured two weeks of voice-busting, nerve-wracking live shows, Jimmy Iovine’s tart-tongued criticisms, and the voting whims of the Idoloonie Nation. But, of course, nobody ever said life was fair. And if Uncle Nigel deems it necessary/exciting/ratings-boosting to add another singer, I’d say why not go with Candice Glover, so ridiculously cut in Vegas after slaying a Buddy Holly cover alongside Jessica Sanchez and Deandre Brackensick. Also possibly acceptable: Hallie Day, Creighton Fraker, Jen Hirsh, David Leathers Jr, Ariel Sprague, and Season 10’s Kendra Chantelle, Lauren Turner, or Robbie Rosen.

Okay, okay…maybe I fly my Kendra flag a little too often. And thus, I turn it over to you. Should Idol bring someone back to replace Jermaine? And if they insist on doing it, who should it be? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kristen says:

Bring back Jen Hirsch!

• They aren’t bringing back anyone at this point. My guess is that they don’t eliminate anyone else this week. Otherwise it would mess up their schedule. I like Jen Hirsch and I liked Hollie Day and Aaron, but at this point it is what it is.

The producers had 2 opportunities and months and months to look into this guy’s past. They could have picked anyone to come back as that extra 13th guy, but they chose him. You’d think after 11 seasons American Idol and their legal department would have figured their stuff out. Drama is drama, but this doesn’t look good for any of the parties involved here.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, great mind think alike. Your comments mirror my rant, LOL.

• darclyte says:

I don’t think they should bring anyone back, and I also do think that they should eliminate someone this week.
        it seems like there often is a double elimination week on AI and many reality competition shows. That is in place in case someone quits, gets hurt, or gets booted they won’t have to skip a week and if nobody does then they have a double elimination at some point.
        Keep the cutting going.

• jj says:

As long as they don’t bring back Reed Grimm, I’m good.

• ncs728 says:

I loved Reed…if they bring anyone back it should be him, or the young guy who goes to UCF in Orlando, FL.

• Brigette says:

Agreed. OR they could always do a “judges pick” at random for no eliminations. We and the contestants wouldn’t know until the results show that everyone was safe, and we wouldn’t know what show it was going to to be. That could work.

• Jeff says:

They should let Jeremy come back from last week. And they have to either bring someone back or not cut someone this week. There are episode commitments made to the network, they can’t cut the season by 1 episode.

• Ali says:

They usually do the double-elimination the week after the judges’ save to make up for the previous week. My guess is they do a single elimination instead.

• Steelers36 says:

I think that the producers should announce that everyone is in danger of elimination every week but that at some point in the competition there will be a two-week elimination where the total votes from two weeks combined determines the person who goes home.

Don’t add anyone now – no time to prepare for this week and next week is too late.

Since the next elimination sets the Top 10 for the tour, I would say make this week and next week a 2-week combined elimination and add the votes for both weeks together. They have to have one week without an elimination now or it messes the schedule.

• TheBeach says:

Wow, Jermaine isn’t the only one that’s going to get the boot. I’ll bet they can whomever is in charge of vetting the contestants too. They should have brought back Johnny Keyser to begin with. There was always something a bit “off” about Jermaine.
        My question is if Wednesday’s show is actually “live” why would he even be there?

• Jim says:

Since he’s allegedly got some outstanding warrants, maybe on tonight’s show he’ll be dragged off by the cops LIVE ON TV! Heh.

• tricia says:

I love that idea! Not that would be great TV!

If they’re going to be bring anyone back (& I hope they don’t) it should be Colton’s sister. She’s already there every week anyway. Obviously anyone they bring back isn’t going to win, so just forget it & have one their idols gives back shows during a week, where no one goes home.

• Angela says:

Thumbs up to every last word of this post. Well said.

• SL says:

I think the producers knew about this beforehand. This explains why they brought him back and had 13 contestants. Since they’re kicking someone off this week, that puts them back on schedule.

• nathaniel davis says:

If they do bring someone back, it should be Creighton Fraker, Johnny Kayser or Candice Glover . These three are amazing singers and each deserving of a spot.

• Joseph says:

Except this is not the 1st week of the live performances , and if it had been then yes I would agree they might bring in an eliminated singer. But we are two far along in the process that it is ahrd to believe anyone they might bring in could get suffient exposure to not be eliminated in their 1st week.

• craig says:

If they bring back anyone it would seem most fair to bring back last weeks eliminated contestant Jeremy Rosado, but since he hasn’t been a hit with the voters he is likely not going to add much to the ratings. X-Factor UK brought back a singer halfway through the competition when Frankie got kicked off the show last season. Jermaine Jones was a joke to bring back in the first place and the warrants must be on new charges or the producers would have known about them. I have a feeling the Gentle Giant with the supposed violent past should have been at court instead of at American Idol. I also have a feeling he may not be so gentle. I am absolutely for people being able to pursue whatever dreams they have, whether or not the have a criminal past, but wait until your court case is over and you don’t have warrants before trying out for a national televisions show. Nigel, you want to boost the ratings have the police arrest him on the show Wed, preferably right after he sings. If he has a warrant shouldn’t he be in jail or out on bail? Good luck Jermaine. Take care of your shiznit.

• a_lex89 says:

You’re right about X-Factor UK doing it last season when Frankie Cocozza was disqualified too, and the girl they brought back (Week 6) eventually made it to the Finale and ended up 3rd place. I think they should find a way to do the same and bring someone too, since they’re already copying The X-Factor so much this season. And then, have the Top 12 perform tonight as usual. Announce on tomorrow’s result show that the Top 12 (2.0) will perform again next week and that two person will be sent home.

And people need to remember, if they don’t bring back anyone then nobody is probably going home tomorrow night because there isn’t any double elimination on idol EXCEPT when the judges use their save. So how is it going to turn out? They should bring back someone spectacular who will make people talk about Idol, unlike Jermaine who didn’t have such a spectacular voice nor star quality whatsoever.

• Tarc says:

I’d say no one is the best option – let this be this week’s elimination. If someone is brought back, I’d pick Jen first.

• Templar says:

My guess is they will go on with business as usual and skip the double elimination they generally have later in the competition.

• deedee says:

Yeah, Idol usually has a double elim after they pull a “judges’ save”. So, they can just go on and do a single elim instead, and not worry about bringing anyone back.

They absolutely should not bring back Jeremy Rosado. That’s all he needs – to be voted off a THIRD time! Poor kid.

If they bring anyone back, it should be Mishavonna Henson. Right Slezak? ;)

• For Me For You says:

Not such a gentle giant after all.

2. Shoshana says:

1) No way Idol hasn’t known about his criminal history for weeks. They are just milking it now for more ratings.

2) They should still eliminate someone.

3) Your move, The Voice!

• Liz says:

i wouldn’t be surprised if they knew about his criminal history since before the show went live and that this was why they brought him back. they knew it would get people talking about the show.

• Ken says:

Um, no. There’s a few week gap between Sing-For-Your-Life and top 24 decisions, and it is in between that the background checks are completed. In fact, it’s supposedly a major factor in helping determine finalists because it is a convenient way to eliminate risky contestants as just a part of the process. I learned all this reading Richard Rushfield’s American Idol book last year.

• james says:

This does not disprove anything. They did that background check initially…found out about his past, but eliminated him because there was no plans for this kind of stunt.

THEN they decided to go for it. That “twist” makes no sense.

• Stacey says:

Now I believe the show would manipulate if they can. But I believe they didn’t know. They would never have put him in the pool to come back into the top 13. It looks like his crimes involve outstanding warrants, and violence. It’s hard to keep him. Or bring back for attention if he’s wanted by police. I don’t think they knew.

• Owen says:

I’m pretty sure, if they knew about his violent crime, they would not have continued to let Ryan refer to him as “The Gentle Giant”…

From what I’ve gathered, it wasn’t just the crime, he still has a warrant out there for his arrest…

• Ben says:

There is no way in heck that Fox would ever let this happen if they knew. The legal risks are too significant. Ratings have to stop somewhere. It boggles me sometimes what people think is done for ratings.

• JenD says:

what exactly are the legal risks? what is fox’s liability? i don’t see how they can get into legal trouble for putting him on the show. it’s not like fox aided and abetted. it’s not like they’ve been helping him hide out or anything. as far as we know the acts he committed happened before he was associated with the show. what exactly are these significant legal risks? and frankly, i would never underestimate fox’s legal team.

• Ben says:

If you don’t know, you should seek independent legal advice. Or, you know, just don’t assume you know there are no risks because you don’t have a legal education. No, Fox cannot have criminal liability. There is plenty of civil liability to go around.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I wanted to hit Fox with a civil action on numerous occasions during Season 9 for torturing me with this program.

• Sg.Grant says:

There is no criminal or civil liability on Fox or American Idol’s part. I am an attorney. You don’t understand the concept of a civil suit.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I understand the concept of civil actions perfectly. I file a suit and the defendant’s insurance company settles with me and sends me a check because it’s cheaper than going to court and paying attorneys.

• Ben says:

Sgt Grant. I understand perfectly. I’m an in-house attorney for a large corporation, not Fox large, but large. I’m not permitted to speculate on what specific liabilities could be considered in a public forum like this unfortunately (its against my code of conduct), but I can think of at least 4 potential liabilities (some of which may depend on whether they sign contestants up to contracts at the audition stage). And there is no way that Fox would live with them. Thats not even considering what Fox and AI would consider as reputational risk, as they want to have Idol seen as a family show. This is a no brainer – there is no way Fox lawyers would let it get through as a stunt.

• Templar says:

I would think that Fox having a wanted criminal in an environment with minors would present a problem. There is certainly an implied responsibility there.

• Leila says:

I could never understand why they brought this guy back after he was eliminated from the Top 24. I’m not into conspiracy theories, so I guess this just goes to show it was a mistake from the producers to circumvent the rules and bypass the judges Top 24 picks.

• Tarc says:

Too bad this part of The Voice show suuuuuuccccckkkksssss! The blind auditions are great, but these deuts/head-to-heads are just excruciatingly bad.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree. I love the blind auditions but hate the battle rounds on “The Voice”.

• vicki says:

Me too!! I’ve never gotten past the battle rounds. Does it get good again? Can’t believe HOW good and compelling the blind auditions are and how BAD and boring the battle rounds are. Weird.

• blingedup.susan says:

I agree! I enjoy the blind auditions,then have dropped out each time it gets to battle rounds, and never tune in again.

3. Wendy says:

Bring back either Jen or Reed but not Brielle since those three were also given a second chance by the judges during the round of 24.

4. Kevin C. says:

Assuming they bring back the judges save this year and “Idol Gives Back” makes another appearance (boo on the former, yay on the latter):

Don’t bring anybody back. If the judges save someone, eliminate only one the next week. If they don’t use the save by Idol Gives Back week, then eliminate nobody that week and just focus on the charity.

• Volcfom says:

That would be the best way to continue the flow of the show. It’s what I was going to suggest.

• Angela says:

“Idol Gives Back” would be nice to resume again. Could do a lot to help the tornado victims from a few weeks ago as well as last year, for instance.

5. Stacey says:

Too late to bring someone back in. It’s not last week. It’s now week 2 of the finals. Wouldn’t be fair. I assume they will declare a Safe week. All votes will be combined with next week votes. And whoever is in the bottom next week will leave.

• Craig says:

Fox knows it will be a huge ratings blow if nobody is going home this week. They still need to send someone home or much of the drama is gone. If America thinks everyone is safe the votes will be way down. There is usually a double elimination week which could be changed to single elimination. There have been other reality show (competitions) that have brought back contestants in the past or a previously voted off contestant. See X-Factor UK most recently, but even Survivor and Big Brother have brought back booted contestants. I think the first rule of reality shows is that the rules can be changed at any time for any reason. They can do what they want and edit it however they want based on what the goals of the Producers, etc. are.

• a_lex89 says:

There ISN’T any double elimination down the line, that is only when the Judges save is in play. Otherwise, there isn’t.

6. Kathy says:

Reed Grimm

• darcy's evil twin says:

Now THAT would be a crime.

• Lana says:

Once again DET you have made me laugh, thanks

• forrest says:

Theory for you: AI seems really intent on keeping an even number of guys and gals for some strange reason. This guy gets the boot, so wouldn’t it make sense to bring back the guy eliminated last week? All even again, so let this week’s competition begin. Your thoughts?

7. Liz says:

If they decide to bring someone back it should be Jeremy Rosado since he was the person voted off last week. This is what the show has done in the past when contestants have been disqualified, so there is no reason to bring back anyone from the top 24 that didn’t make it to the top 13.

• Leila says:

Bring Jeremy back so he can be rejected for the third time? Why bother?

• Craig says:

I agree with Liz but Leila is also right. They should have never brought JJ back in the first place. He was my last choice of the 4 and why not add another female contestant since they get voted off quicker than the males do. I think the best way to make it fair, and add ratings is to have America vote amongst several choices. I still go with have him sing and then have the police arrest him on the spot. That would have made great tv if they could have kept it secret until Wed. nights show.

8. Annie says:

No one should replace him, since it’s not fair to the other eleven contestants. They could bring back Jeremy, but that would be a mess too, since he’d be gone again in a week or two. They should just skip an elimination this week, or give the judges an extra save.

9. Sam says:

Shannon Magrane just lost her one chance at not being the next one out.

10. Zach says:

Bring back Candice Glover!!

11. Jesse says:

“Jones was given the old heave-ho by J.Lo, Randy, and Simon” …ummm, I didn’t realize Simon was still on American Idol! :-)

12. Keith says:

Don’t bring anyone back and go ahead and kick another person off like it’s a normal week.So they lose two in a week-they have to eliminate people sometime.

13. kc says:

I don’t think they knew either, and I don’t think they should bring anyone back at this point. Reed Grimm was a drama queen and acted like a crazy person on stage! I also agree, Shannon’s days are numbered. She’s a sweet kid, needs development.

14. Shawn says:

If they bring back a contestant it should be Jeremy Rosado. I remember last season when it looked like it was possible that Lauren Alania wouldn’t be able to perform for the performance finale that the producers were looking for Haley who finished in third place to take her spot if needed, so it would only be fair to bring in Jeremy Rosado. But I think they should just have no elimination this week and just combine the votes from this week and next week and eliminate whichever contestant got the lowest number of votes for the two weeks combined.

15. GG says:

So much for “Gentle Giant” lol.
    IMO, they should just not eliminate anyone this week. But if they have to bring someone back, Jeremy makes the most sense.

16. amz says:

Hmm..I kinda like Jermaine, though. Well, I wonder why they didn’t do background checks beforehand. This is really unfair. It’s not like I want him to win or anything, but fair is fair, just sayin’…

17. Dan says:

If this is true, Jermaine should be the only one cut, just like a normal week. The other contestants should be considered safe and they should not bring anybody else back. It’s pretty simple.

18. Karen O says:

EBEN. he had legions of teenaged fans. he doesn’t deserve to be there, but if they put him back, he will last weeks.

19. Gail says:

Reed Grimm. He has more talent than alot of them. Give him another chance.

20. Ben says:

Ideally, Jermaine gets cut as though he recieved the lowest votes (whether they say that or not, the results show plays out as usual) and everyone else returns for the following week. Really noone loses there.

• Volcfom says:

Yes, if the Idol manipulators are at play, they can act as everything is normal. Then Thursday they eliminate Jermaine, saying he was the lowest vote getter (which could very well be anyway). Easy drama to cover up for the average viewer who doesn’t read the blogs.

• TheBeach says:

Nah, they would never get away with that. It’s too late to try that tactic and sweep it under the rug. It’s not just the blog world that now knows. It’s all over the internet for everyone to see.

21. julie says:

It would be a total farce to bring back someone who has already been voted off. Just like it was a joke to bring Jermaine back in the first place.

Why do they need to bring anyone back? What’s wrong with just going forward with the 11 finalists who would be left? If they have to do something, simply don’t eliminate anyone this week and just bring all 11 back next week. That would be much better than bringing anyone else back.

Jermaine is an idiot, evidently, but he had little chance to win Idol anyway. So just treat this as if he was voted off, and go forward from that.

• Leila says:

Exactly, bringing him back was so pointless, I’m glad he’s gone.

• Craig says:

The more I think about it I feel it would be cruel to bring Jeremy back again. He’s got no chance. Probably Jennifer and Randy’s favorite voice in the competition but he’s already been voted off twice.

22. Katie says:

There was a similar situation during season two with Corey Clark. They decided not to eliminate anyone, and I think that’s probably the fairest decision. If they were to bring someone back, it alters the whole competition. Let’s say they bring Jeremy back. His fans will vote extra hard for him, regardless of performance, because they don’t want him to get eliminated again, and then someone else who may be more deserving of being in the competition will have to leave.

• kt says:

This was also pre-“Judges Save.” They could simply save a contestant and then only eliminate one the next week instead of that dreadful double elimination. Also, if there’s an Idol Gives Back this year, they could decide not to eliminate anybody that night…they’ve done that before in the past as well.

23. Jenny says:

I just find it hard to believe that Idol didn’t know before the live shows began. Especially when there are outstanding warrants. It felt odd from the start with the whole “Wait, the judges are bringing a guy back.” Uncle Nigel is too controlling to not know this information. Saving it when Idol needed a ratings boost. Bunches will turn in tomorrow to get the details. Nice play Uncle Nigel.

24. YowzaPowza says:

If they do bring someone back it should only be Jeremy Rosado. That’s really the only fair thing they can do. Regardless, this is great news. I couldn’t stand this guy.

25. Analisa says:

Not such a “gentle” giant after all!

26. Ziamp says:

If story is true, Jermaine Jones is the elimination this week. No one else should go home this week. I don’t think anyone else should be brought back now – they are too far into the game. (Although, this tactic worked quite well on last year’s UK X-Factor when Frankie Cocozza was sent packing & Amelia Lily was brought back, it is a different type of game show and that field by that time was sadly lacking in talent & needed the new infusion. I don’t think the same can be said about AI 11)

• Tess says:

I was thinking about Amelia’s return on X Factor UK last season too…but I think that while it righted the wrong made by Kelly Rowland in cutting her in the first place, it wasn’t fair to the contestants still there who had been in all those weeks already or the two acts that went the week before in the double elim who didn’t get the chance to come back. Amelia did make it to 3rd but many did argue whether it would be fair for her to win having missed several weeks (thus giving her less time to wear thin on viewers). A lot of people thought it was a tactical maneuver by the show bringing her back too…

I suppose that the Idol peeps could tell us that this week the kids will perform on Wednesday but Thursday would not be an elim day but rather be a special vote to bring back someone and have a couple of options from the top 24 who didn’t get to sing for the wildcard before…or the judges could appoint a replacement for him so long as that person could be back in for tomorrow’s show – but that might be impossible to do given the timing. Then again, if they knew this was happening, they may already have called someone like Jen Hirsch to rejoin the show. Doubtful they’d call Jeremy back though; his lack of votes aside, Jeremy’s been doing the talk show circut in NY so he’s not likely to be hopping on a plane back to LA to get back in…although stranger things could happen.

I would bet that they’ll have an elimination as usual this week and the judges’ save will be used either this week or in subsequent weeks with only one person leaving the following week instead of losing two people as it usually goes. That way, there’s still a point to Thursday’s show and the schedule can stay the way it is and they don’t have to worry about trying to get someone back in Jermaine’s place in time for the live show.

• Craig says:

Damn Tess your good! This is everything I was trying to say in my posts. Wish I would have read yours first. All for the vote-in show on Thursday using several previously released contestants. Send one out on Thursday and give someone else a shot to come back via a vote.

27. Carey says:

If he gave the police fake names, then it’s entirely possible that the usual Fox background check would have missed his arrests. I can’t imagine this was planned by the show — they wouldn’t have put him on in the first place if they knew about a violent past.

28. Matt says:

My guess is that they’ll eliminate somebody this week, and when they end up using the Judge’s Save, they’ll only eliminate one person the following week instead of 2 (like they normally do).

29. Courtney Rose says:

Part of me just wants them to bring back Reed Grim to see Slezak’s reaction.

30. Candy says:

Bringing back anyone to replace Jermaine would be unfair to the remaining contestants. Just eliminate him, and give everyone else a free ride to the next round.

• Krista says:

I agree and I think this is what will happen. If this happened last week, it would make sense for them to bring someone back but it’s week 2 of the finals. And I don’t think they would do a double elimination next week because it messes with tour (although last season they allowed for the Top 11 to go on tour). I would think they would just eliminate 2 people after the Judges’ Save or another week to make the weeks work out.

31. Buggu says:

This week the elimination will go on as usual.The only difference, if any , will be that only one person will be eliminated the week after judges save ,instead of two.

32. Lindsey says:

I must say, I am really excited to see how this goes down tomorrow night, even if it was carefully plotted out by the producers.
    The logical person to bring back would definitely be Jeremy, and with all the hype he might even get to stay another week and Migraine could get eliminated… hopefully!
    The closest thing that has happened on AI before was when Mario Velasquez (think that was his name) left after performing on the live shows.
    Should be interesting!

33. Ellen says:

Intensely dislike this kind of drama! Really?! Nobody knew about a criminal record? Sigh…really turning me off more and more…Idol! Get a clue!! Anyway…I would love to see Jen come back…since she can really sing!

34. Tammy Duty says:

i dont think Jones should have even made it through auditions !!!!he may be great in a choir but not american idol!he is a cry baby dont want anyone to touch him or his hair or joke around ! goodbye jones and no dont bring noone back

35. Avery says:

REED GRIMM MUST RETURN OMGGG. or Eben Franckewitz…

36. katherine says:

Jermaine can’t be the elimination this week. It’d open the voting process up to major question, especially since not all of Idol’s viewership follows gossip. The only solution is to DQ him and eliminate nobody this week.

37. Matthew Z says:

Bring back Jeremy Rosado to be eliminated by America for a third time, then use the Judge’s Save on him so he can break Matt Giraud’s seemingly untouchable record.

38. darcy's evil twin says:

Who in the name of Sam Hill is vetting these contestants? Inspector Clousseau? How is it that record deals, naked pictures, and criminal records (and I’m talking crime, not bad music recordings) seem to slip past the Powers That Be at Idol more easily than s*** goes through a goose? This one is particularly egregious. Not only did Jermaine get sent packing but they called him back as a “big surprise twist”. Well, it appears the surprise was on Idol! They had extra time to check him out. I would imagine Jermaine was “so busted” someone contacted the show to complain about him being guilty of something besides bad singing.
    I can not believe for a second the producers knew about this and did it for added drama. It’s simply to embarrassing.
    This is a no-brainer. Jermaine is the eliminated contestant this week and then just carry on. according to TMZ he was told he was being kicked off the show while he was being filmed and that footage will be broadcast. Maybe they’ll let him sing “I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)” as his exit song.

• Suew says:

Your post made me laugh out loud DET. He should definitely sing “I fought the law (ans the law won)” as an exit song. Talk about a way to bring in ratings!

• TheBeach says:

Funniest post yet! What I don’t understand is WHY is he even on tonight’s show, which is supposed to be live, knowing what they now know?

• donie says:

Seems cruel to show that footage. I hope they don’t.

39. Tammy says:

Jermaine’s false claims and criminal record sort of messes up everything. He was brought back as the 13th contestant…why, I don’t know….there were far better contestants than him. Next, he was pretty much saved by the judges last week. I think they need to go back to the pool of contestants prior to his selection, or at least go back to the wild card contestants. I’m glad he didn’t get away with his dishonesty any longer than he did.

40. Kira says:

I don’t know why this matters. It’s not like the music industry was built for passive monks. They definitely knew about his past and they’re exploiting this poor man for ratings. It’s one of the reasons I hate American Idol because the last thing it’s about is the music.

• Keith says:

You say you hate AI, but yet you are on a message board talking about it.If you really hated it you would ignore everything about it.

• Craig says:

Not true. I hated Osama bin laden and still read articles about him.

• JJ says:

Bin Laden could be viewed as a case of “Know your enemy” that would hardly apply to Idol. Someone who posts on a message board for a show they “hate” borders on obsession.

41. Mandy says:

I think they should not bring back anyone, have a normal elimination this week, then have one of the future shows be a surprise non-elimination round — a la The Amazing Race.

42. darcy's evil twin says:

Next week they should broadcast Jermaine singing “Jailhouse Rock” in his cell.

43. Shannon says:

Bring back Hallie Day from my hometown Baltimore! She was great and should have continued. But they could also bring back Jeremy since he just left.

44. Karen says:

Don’t think they should bring back anyone. But if they were to do that, the only fair thing to do is to bring back Jeremy

• Craig says:

If Nigel and the powers that be wanted him on the show so bad to have him be the 13th contestant out of everyone they could have chosen, then why doesn’t Fox or AI post his bail for his warrants and just keep him on the show? It’s most likely he could get his warrants quashed and be released to Nigel on bail. Do something good for once and help a brother out in need.

• BrazenHussy says:

Because that would be when Nigel and AI would really open themselves to liability. Right now, they can claim ignorance to the facts. However, if they did as you suggested? Let’s say they brought him back and assumed responsibilty as the guarantors of his bail. How could they ever explain his being allowed to live and work with the crew and other contestants, some of whom are minors, and something happened? All bets would be off.

45. Joe says:

If they bring anyone back it should be Jeremy. That said, Idol has a chance to do something rather wild on Thursday’s show. Do one more wild card/sing for your life and bring back 2-3 contestants for the spot.
    Without an elimination this week or having something on the line, Thursday’s show is pointless. Either they have to eliminate someone or they have to put someone else in. They can’t risk Thursday being a ratings dump.
    They’re not that creative though and most likely they will bring Jeremy back tomorrow night and pimp spot him. Then Shannon or someone goes on Thursday.
    As for Jermaine, after the way he hooted and hollered when he beat Jeremy last week, I’m glad he’s gone. Something definitely seemed “off” about him and he was difficult to watch sing visually. Hope he gets his life in order and stops the lying. It always catches up with you.

• Craig says:

Agreed! They need to keep Thursday’s show as hot as possible. I bet advertisers are already wanting reduced rates for Thursday’s show based on public perception that there will not be an elimination. Fox needs to have a plan to get the advertisers on board. If the plan is good enough they may actually be able to increase ad rates. Give us something good. Wow us. We deserve it!

46. Joe says:

Hmmm… I wonder when the tour folks start? Thoughts, anyone?

• forrest says:

If I understood your question correctly, the tour group is usually made up of the remaining top ten qualifiers.

• Paul says:

Except last year it was the top 11 on tour (they claim it was decided before the casey issue). If it was top 11 on tour this time, when Jermaine goes, the tour is set.

47. KK says:

Michael I don’t think you wave your Kendra flag enough!

My vote is obviously for Kendra Chantelle.

In the event that Season 10 don’t qualify, I vote Candice Glover who unceremoniously dumped for no reason WHEN SHE WAS SO AWESOME in Vegas.

48. lethargic says:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t kick somebody else off. They’ve usually had a double elimination once or twice the past few seasons. Seeing as how Jones was brought back into a top 13 instead of a 12 I’m sure a double elimination was going to happen soon anyway.

Plus, he’s going to get kicked off tomorrow, not Thursday. What happens Wednesday shouldn’t have any bearing on what happens afterwards.

The same can be said about bringing somebody else back. Why would Jones need to be replaced when he was already a throw in, extra contestant?

49. jake says:

It would kind of mess up their schedule if they didn’t bring someone back, unless down the road they decided to declare someone safe. As much as i am elated that jermaine is gone from the show — never understood why he was brought back and didn’t get why america voted him in when there was so much talent that did not get through — that is what is frustrating — that jermaine took a spot from someone who can never get another chance according to idol rules that if you are in the top 24 — unless enough of you complain. Personally, I think they could have picked a top 12 from the ones that were not picked.

50. Tim says:

Free Reed Grimm! This show is getting too damn serious.