Sunday Ratings: Bright Spots Are Few as the Daylight Savings Time Doldrums Hit

GCB, CSI: Miami and some Fox ‘toons were among the few Sunday shows to not be depressed by the onset of the annual Daylight Savings Time Effect, in which that extra hour of sunshine ostensibly tricks people into staying outdoors to play Frisbee or Jarts with the munchkins — shiny, neglected plasma screens be damned.

That said, that’s going to be a nagging theme this week — myriad shows on the downside, often hitting all-time lows, due to the whole DST phenom. (For example, Sunday as a whole saw a 7 percent decline in TV usage.) So adjust expectations accordingly!

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | The Amazing Race, with 9.7 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, shed a few eyeballs but led the hour in audience and tied Once Upon a Time for the demo win. Once (9.1 mil/2.8), despite delivering one of its best episodes to date, absorbed the night’s biggest hit, down double digits on both counts and setting a new demo low. Harry’s Law broke in its new home with 8.9 mil (up 35 percent from its last Wednesday airing) and a 1.1 (matching an all-time demo low).

Both The Simpsons (5 mil/2.3) and the Bob’s Burgers season premiere (4 mil/1.9) were down from previous outings.

9 pm | The Good Wife held steady in audience (with 9.8 million viewers) but dipped 11 percent in the demo to hit an all-time low 1.7. Desperate Housewives was flat at 8.3 mil/2.5, while Celebrity Apprentice (6.4 mil/2.0) plunged 13 percent in the demo. Family Guy (5.82 mil/2.8) gained some viewers and tied TAR and Once for Sunday’s best demo number, while American Dad (4.6 mil2.2) was up a few percentage points.

10 pm | CSI: Miami was up 4 percent in viewers, leading the night with an audience of 10.54 mil, while flat at a 2.1 rating. ABC’s GCB (7.3 mil/2.3) ticked up a tenth in the demo from its premiere.

What were you tuned into this Sunday night (if you weren’t in the back yard caught up in a ladderball tournament)?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Danny says:

8.9 million for “Harry’s Law” is an all-time low???

2. ldylkng says:

I was watching Harry!! Love Harry!

3. ScrubsGuy says:

What happened to American Dad?

4. Ed says:

Ouch, OUAT took a HUGE hit, which sucks because lasts nights episode was freaking fantastic!

• nyguy says:

I like the episode but thought it could have had a much bigger emotional impact if they had played up the scenes with Red and her beau. They cut away from what happened to him so you didn’t get the full horror of what she had done to the man she loved. If they had shot the scene with him just being attacked and still able to speak or just dying in her arms it would have had more of an emotional payoff than having him 30 yards away as a carcass.

• Mark says:

I was thrown for a loop. I was like, why did they make it so obvious that her boyfriend was the wolf with his first line being “Huff and a puff.” Little did I know…
      Love all the Disney refs in the show. Pongo being the name of the terrorizing dog.. Clever.

5. Alice says:

Goodness, Once fans missed a fractastic episode. Better catch up before next week!

6. J says:

Well…even if ratings are down(not very surprising, nobody watch tv live anymore like the “good old days” or only watch stupid reality tv)
    I enjoyed my night with the Simpsons and my new addiction Bob’s burger…+Walking Dead
    And turn to sneak peak at DH, painfully had to wait 55minutes to saw jDenton stupid death…no wonder that the final season!!!
    This season is a pure train wreck…
    And when ABC will cancel their stupid boring GCB?

7. Daniela says:

HARRY’S LAW is a great show! Don’t know why the numbers in the demo never met what the show draws in viewers.
    I’m getting worried about THE GOOD WIFE. CBS isn’t used to have scripted drama shows bring in less than 10 million. And then they reach a low in the demo. :( I really hope we see another season of this juicy show. It’s fantastic!

• David says:

The Good Wife’s problem is in its show title. Great show – horrid and inexplicably bad title.

Harry’s problem is its just a bad TV show. There is creative license and then there is Harry’s “Law”.

8. jasie says:

Harrys law tied its low in the key demo. It was up in overall veiwers.

9. Heather says:

OMG, missing Once fans…why did you skip last night’s awesome episode??! Come back fast because things are getting really good! =)

10. I like Harriette says:

It truly is a shame the demo for Harry’s Law was a 1.1,as,that is all the networks care about:the demo numbers. I enjoy Harry’s Law.IMHO:It is an entertaining program. 8.9 million viewers isn’t horrible,however,networks only want the 18-49 demographic. It didn’t do as badly as I feared(being the first time going up against Once upon a time). I enjoy both Harry’s Law & OUAT. I hope there is room for both of these programs. I will enjoy the remaining episodes of Harry’s Law, as ,a third season seems unlikely.

11. jennifer says:

Harry’s Law fans:be sure to watch live,or,dvr next weeks episode,as,it appears to be one YOU CANNOT MISS! The promo for next week’s episode has me so intrigued! I MUST see it just to find out what is up with child-WTF! Thank you.

12. jennifer says:

*with that child*-sorry

13. Jules says:

Seriously @Sg. Grant!
    Yr wasting yr time tracking me…
    Go bored other people’s instead… :)

14. Annie says:

Not to be all nerdy on you but it’s “daylight saving time.” No ‘s’ on “saving.”

15. kevin says:

Hope GCB will stick around for the rest of the season and that 10 p.m. time slot could do way better than Pan Am was in the ratings. CBS is doing the same even though Good Wife is still hanging on and I don’t know if CSI: Miami is going to survive for another season.

• Lauren K says:

I agree. I liked Pan Am because I thought the idea had potential if they could just figure out what show they wanted to be. I find myself enjoying GCB a lot more than Pan Am though for some reason I feel guilty doing it. The show just feels like ABC is waaaay out on a limb and I’m cringing hoping it doesn’t break under them. The show is stretching it’s tippy toe over the line of what can be on network.

16. aninha says:

I love T.G.W

17. Bad Breaker says:

I mainly cabled it last night: Shameless, Luck and wow, The Walking Dead was a killer episode, both literally and figuratively…just great!

18. Amber says:

I was one of those people outside, yeah. I was sitting on my balcony listening to the birdies sing even though it was kinda cold out. You can be d*mn sure I was inside by the time Walking Dead started though. If I hadn’t been, half the people I know on Facebook would have spoiled the episode for me before I had a chance to go back and see it, and I wasn’t having that. I’m not a fan of any kind of spoilers, but Walking Dead spoilers are the WORST!!!!! The anticipation of not knowing where that show is going is half the fun.

I also went back and caught Bob’s Burgers on DVR because I like Kristen Schaal. The Goonies references kinda made me laugh, I love that movie. Getting Cyndi Lauper to do the song at the end was pretty awesome.

I also caught Once Upon a Time later on the DVR. I found the story twist with the wolf to be a little silly. It was surprising, but silly. But I am not quite as into that show as most everyone else seems to be. Mostly I watch it because I am bored, it is definitely not something I look forward to on Sunday nights. Starting in two weeks, that’s going to be all about Mad Men for me! Don Draper, hurry up and get on my television.

19. fernando says:

yay I hope GCB sticks with 7 million or rises, I like the show its very funny.

• Danielle H says:

I don’t know that 7 mil will be enough to get a renewal. Haven’t seen last nite’s episode yet, but I didn’t find the pilot to be nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. It’s interesting that it held steady though; I’m guessing all the ppl that decided it was their type of thing to tune into went ahead and watched the pilot then came back for ep 2.

• fernando says:

7 million is enough ABC dosent like 5 million and below, 6 million is danger zone but look at Private Practice who has been on for 3 years with 6 million but usually gets high or decent demo and so its still on, Revenge has been in the high 7 million its whole freshman and ABC is very proud and happy with its ratings, GCB still in week two have a decent 2.2 and then 2.3 demo and if it stays that way ABC will be fine with it as long as it does not drop below 2.0 demo and as long as GCB keeps 7 million they will renew it, 7 million is way better then Pan Am and Brothers an sister which was making 6 to 5 million.

20. BRETT says:

I simply do not understand the ratings for this season of Desperate Housewives.

21. Michelle says:

I loved yesterday’s Harry’s Law episode
    about American Football
    but most of all about how the banks got millions to help those in trouble but they just used it all to help themselves
    Great Episode.
    We need to see more of this type of stories to show the plight of every day folks suffering due to the economic fiasco caused by the banking industry