Scoop: One Tree Hill Vet Chad Michael Murray Joins ABC Drama Pilot Scruples

Chad Michael Murray ScruplesChad Michael Murray is leaving One Tree Hill behind for the far more adult world of Scruples, ABC’s drama pilot based on the novel by Judith Krantz about a rich and powerful clothing designer (CSI: NY‘s Claire Forlani) working in a business dominated by sex, revenge and scandal.

Murray will playfashion photographer-turned-creative director Spider (the role originated by Barry Bostwick in the 1980 miniseries).

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Ex-Undercovers spy Boris Kodjoe and Jessica McNamee (Australia’s Packed to the Rafters) co-star in the project, which counts Oscar winner Natalie Portman among its exec producers.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Ashley says:

Very interesting, but Chad Michael Murray left One Tree Hill behind a long time ago. Also, Claire Forlani?! I love love her.

2. justine says:

Yay, Lucas Scott back on my tv screen. I stopped watching OTH after he and Hilarie left because Lucas and Peyton made that show for me. I’m glad he’s getting work.

3. Sam says:

Dear producers: CUT. HIS. HAIR.

• Jenilee says:

@ Sam – Chad cut his hair soon after he filmed hisreturn to OTH hehe!

• sonr says:

good, that hair was unwatchable. reminded me of last season of House when Chase had horrible hair – had to stpt watching until it was cut

• Ronaldo says:

ABSOLUTELY…. wt was Chase thinking, and Lucas with limp, brunette locks, replete with wonky centre parting…..uuugh. A total travesty. CMM can do sooooo much better with his hair. Producers…… TAKE NOTE.

• Melissa says:

Too bad he didn’t cut it BEFORE his OTL return. Yikes, it was all I could look at during his scenes. Frankly, the “build up” of Lucas’ return was more interesting than the actual return. Did he even make it out of the airport? Sorry, I couldn’t tell you for sure BECAUSE I WAS LOOKING AT HIS HAIR!!!

• Ronaldo says:

Big, big letdown…. HUGE! Confining Lucas & Hailey to plastic chairs, in an airport waiting room….. WHAAAAAAAT???? utter nonsense. Chad deserved so much more, and indeed, so did we fans. Poor show Mark S.

4. Michelle says:

If the show goes according the book Spider ends up with Valentine.
    Char Michael Murray and Karive Vanasse (who will play Valentine) look great together…he’s no Mike Vogel (Karine’s co-star from Pan Am) but he will do!

• Lessa says:

*Spoiler Alert*

Actually there were three books in the Scruples series and Spider ends up with Billy in the last book.

5. abbie says:

Oth has been amazing since he left and itwas sad to see them go but you have missed great episodes if you stopped wayching when he left. He was a great part of the shoe and it was good to see him back this season but the show is sooo well written with or without him.

This new show will be and sounds great.

• Brock says:

Agreed. I have always loved OTH – best soap on TV. It’s beyond awesome. Though I could have lost Mouth and Millie years ago and what’s up with Jimmy’s gravestone showing he was born in ’88 making the gang 24… after the five year leap, another one year and those in between… Jamie’s like 9 or 10 and was born when the gang were 18….

But I digress – yay Chad! Hope it gets picked up. He was an asset on Gilmore Girls, Dawson’s and OTH!

6. acorkle says:

Welcome back Chad! !!!!!!!

7. Ella says:

Yay, good for him! One of the only 2 good things about OTH.

8. Meh says:

Looking forward to the show. I have the book and the sequel, though haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. But I’d love to see more old school guilty pleasure dramas like Dynasty. Revenge was a good start. Hope this turns out well.

9. Jonah says:

Chad “The Show-killer” Murray. Guess ABC really didn’t want Scruples to succeed, after all.

• grannygeek says:

Yeah, he can squint his way through this part, when the script calls for emotion as he did in OTH. Is he actually playing the Barry Bostwick role? Loved the book, loved the series – fear for this one.

• grannygeek says:

Yeah – here I am replying to my own post. The mention of Scruples brought back such fond memories I acquired “access” to some .avi files of the 3 episode mini-series and I must’ve remembered it more fondly than it lived up to. God, the hair! (it was the 80’s, after all) I’m sure Chad can do at least as well as some of the actors in that miniseries. John Saxon – gad! the captain of the Love Boat! Gavin somethinorother. And Ms Sex and The City Catrall herself! with much smaller boobs.

• Ronaldo says:

Lucas was the heart and soul of OTH; squinting or not, CMM carried the show. Factoid. End of.

10. Captain says:

It’s a shame he’ll never be as hot as he was 10 years ago. Remember when he was really popular? For like a month.

11. Captain says:

12. Vannesa says:

A big fan of Claire Forlani and Chad Michael Murray. But Chad will always be Lucas Scott to me. ;)

Hopefully this show will get a pick up…if not…I would like Peyton Driscol back on CSI: NY. ;)

13. Maise says:

Glad CMM is coming back to TV. Hope his new show does well.

14. J. says:

I’m surprised that with the caliber of an actress as Natalie Portman pulling the strings behind the scenes that this is the type of casting talent it attracted. Not that Chad is a terrible actor or anything, but he pretty much just strikes me as the standard where I expected exceptional.

15. Lessa says:

I just happened to find this info by accident and was totally floored because I had just committed myself to rereading the Scruples trilogy a few ago. I’m about half way through it and now that there is casting I may have to re-picture some of these scenes in my head.