Scoop: One Tree Hill Vet Chad Michael Murray Joins ABC Drama Pilot Scruples

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Chad Michael Murray ScruplesChad Michael Murray is leaving One Tree Hill behind for the far more adult world of Scruples, ABC’s drama pilot based on the novel by Judith Krantz about a rich and powerful clothing designer (CSI: NY‘s Claire Forlani) working in a business dominated by sex, revenge and scandal.

Murray will playfashion photographer-turned-creative director Spider (the role originated by Barry Bostwick in the 1980 miniseries).

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Ex-Undercovers spy Boris Kodjoe and Jessica McNamee (Australia’s Packed to the Rafters) co-star in the project, which counts Oscar winner Natalie Portman among its exec producers.

Comments (25)

• Very interesting, but Chad Michael Murray left One Tree Hill behind a long time ago. Also, Claire Forlani?! I love love her.

Comment by Ashley – March 12, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Lucas Scott back on my tv screen. I stopped watching OTH after he and Hilarie left because Lucas and Peyton made that show for me. I’m glad he’s getting work.

Comment by justine – March 12, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear producers: CUT. HIS. HAIR.

Comment by Sam – March 12, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ Sam – Chad cut his hair soon after he filmed hisreturn to OTH hehe!

Comment by Jenilee – March 12, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • good, that hair was unwatchable. reminded me of last season of House when Chase had horrible hair – had to stpt watching until it was cut

Comment by sonr – March 12, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ABSOLUTELY…. wt was Chase thinking, and Lucas with limp, brunette locks, replete with wonky centre parting…..uuugh. A total travesty. CMM can do sooooo much better with his hair. Producers…… TAKE NOTE.

Comment by Ronaldo – May 13, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Too bad he didn’t cut it BEFORE his OTL return. Yikes, it was all I could look at during his scenes. Frankly, the “build up” of Lucas’ return was more interesting than the actual return. Did he even make it out of the airport? Sorry, I couldn’t tell you for sure BECAUSE I WAS LOOKING AT HIS HAIR!!!

Comment by Melissa – March 13, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Big, big letdown…. HUGE! Confining Lucas & Hailey to plastic chairs, in an airport waiting room….. WHAAAAAAAT???? utter nonsense. Chad deserved so much more, and indeed, so did we fans. Poor show Mark S.

Comment by Ronaldo – May 13, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the show goes according the book Spider ends up with Valentine.
    Char Michael Murray and Karive Vanasse (who will play Valentine) look great together…he’s no Mike Vogel (Karine’s co-star from Pan Am) but he will do!

Comment by Michelle – March 12, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Spoiler Alert*

Actually there were three books in the Scruples series and Spider ends up with Billy in the last book.

Comment by Lessa – June 11, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oth has been amazing since he left and itwas sad to see them go but you have missed great episodes if you stopped wayching when he left. He was a great part of the shoe and it was good to see him back this season but the show is sooo well written with or without him.

This new show will be and sounds great.

Comment by abbie – March 12, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I have always loved OTH – best soap on TV. It’s beyond awesome. Though I could have lost Mouth and Millie years ago and what’s up with Jimmy’s gravestone showing he was born in ’88 making the gang 24… after the five year leap, another one year and those in between… Jamie’s like 9 or 10 and was born when the gang were 18….

But I digress – yay Chad! Hope it gets picked up. He was an asset on Gilmore Girls, Dawson’s and OTH!

Comment by Brock – March 13, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back Chad! !!!!!!!

Comment by acorkle – March 12, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, good for him! One of the only 2 good things about OTH.

Comment by Ella – March 12, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to the show. I have the book and the sequel, though haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. But I’d love to see more old school guilty pleasure dramas like Dynasty. Revenge was a good start. Hope this turns out well.

Comment by Meh – March 13, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chad “The Show-killer” Murray. Guess ABC really didn’t want Scruples to succeed, after all.

Comment by Jonah – March 13, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, he can squint his way through this part, when the script calls for emotion as he did in OTH. Is he actually playing the Barry Bostwick role? Loved the book, loved the series – fear for this one.

Comment by grannygeek – March 13, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah – here I am replying to my own post. The mention of Scruples brought back such fond memories I acquired “access” to some .avi files of the 3 episode mini-series and I must’ve remembered it more fondly than it lived up to. God, the hair! (it was the 80′s, after all) I’m sure Chad can do at least as well as some of the actors in that miniseries. John Saxon – gad! the captain of the Love Boat! Gavin somethinorother. And Ms Sex and The City Catrall herself! with much smaller boobs.

Comment by grannygeek – March 14, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lucas was the heart and soul of OTH; squinting or not, CMM carried the show. Factoid. End of.

Comment by Ronaldo – May 13, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame he’ll never be as hot as he was 10 years ago. Remember when he was really popular? For like a month.

Comment by Captain – March 13, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Captain – March 13, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A big fan of Claire Forlani and Chad Michael Murray. But Chad will always be Lucas Scott to me. ;)

Hopefully this show will get a pick up…if not…I would like Peyton Driscol back on CSI: NY. ;)

Comment by Vannesa – March 13, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad CMM is coming back to TV. Hope his new show does well.

Comment by Maise – March 13, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised that with the caliber of an actress as Natalie Portman pulling the strings behind the scenes that this is the type of casting talent it attracted. Not that Chad is a terrible actor or anything, but he pretty much just strikes me as the standard where I expected exceptional.

Comment by J. – March 14, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just happened to find this info by accident and was totally floored because I had just committed myself to rereading the Scruples trilogy a few ago. I’m about half way through it and now that there is casting I may have to re-picture some of these scenes in my head.

Comment by Lessa – June 11, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post