Castle Creator Weighs In on 'Spectacular' Finale Buzz, Dismisses Veronica Mars-Style Spin-Off

ABC’s Castle will close the book on Season 4 “with such a huge satisfaction, but such a huge cliffhanger. You’re going to be like, ‘Oh, that’s great. We got through that, but — [Gasps] — oh my God, did that just happen?’”

That titillating teaser is courtesy of Lanie’s portrayer, Tamala Jones, who also used the word “spectacular” to describe the season-ender when speaking with TVLine prior to the ABC drama’s PaleyFest event this weekend.

Color us intrigued.

ABC Reveals Desperate Housewives End Date, Schedules 17 Other May Finales

Moments later, we went to the source — series creator Andrew W. Marlowe — to see how he himself was touting the finale, set to air May 7. Namely, how does one top sending a sniper to gun down your female lead, and then have her partner in crimesolving profess his love? (And all in the wake of killing off their boss!)

“I don’t know that we top [Season 3’s finale],” Marlowe answered. “We try to service the characters where they are now, and every story is different. It’s always significant when such a key player of the family ends up getting killed, but that’s not something we want to do every season.

“But we have some tricks up our sleeves,” he continued, “to make it a pretty big event for the loyal viewers of the series.”

Mind you, the show boss previously said that an upcoming string of “really stormy” episodes would feed into a “pretty exciting, emotional conclusion to the season.”

I’m thinking, secrets come out and then… what? Locusts?

Team Castle Talks of the Big Hook-Up, the Father of All Mysteries, Satiny Kisses and Secrets Spilled

One thing that won’t come out of the Castle season finale is a spin-off — this despite Molly Quinn dropping several hints at PaleyFest that Alexis, who is about to graduate high school and is now working as Lanie’s forensics helper, might evolve into a crimesolver herself. Speaking with TVLine, the ingenue said there had been “discussions” about an offshoot that would be “a little bit of Veronica Mars or Goonies,” something revolving around “a strong group of friends that are quirky and have different strengths that bring them together.”

Marlowe however dismissed the spin-off talk when we ran it by him, though he did confirm that Alexis is heading toward a crossroads — one that rouses anxiety in her dad.

“Where she decides to go [to college] is something we’ll be dealing with by the end of the season, and how close and how far [away she will be],” said Marlowe. “Castle’s really struggling with the fact that his little girl is not going to be in his life anymore, and that’s going to figure in as we come to a conclusion this year.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. deb saine says:

matt, who was the guy moderating the castle panel at paleyfest (sp)? i missed the beginning, and i didn’t recognize him … thanks for your help! keep up the great work!!

2. May says:

Please, let Caskett be together, Marlowe. It’s been a looooong time, and there’s no better way to wrap a season (hopefully not a series). Pretty please?

3. ScrubsGuy says:

Wouldn’t want to see Alexis leave – without having Castle’s family life in focus, the show loses it’s distinctiveness among the other procedurals.

4. Whimsical says:

Give Alexis a spin off! Molly Quinn is an awesome actress who deserves her own show.

• Danielle H says:

I doubt it would ever happen on ABC, because it would be scaled too young. She’s a cute girl, but I don’t know if she could carry a whole show.

5. Mari says:

I’m a really big fan of Castle but Alexis is annoying somethimes and the actress that portrays her, Molly Quinn, didn’t help her case with me saying things likes “never get married” “leave your romances out of the house” to Castle @ the PaleyFest Panel.

Plus there’ll never be another one like Veronica Mars.

• Dan says:

What Molly Quinn said at the panel was obviously her channeling Alexis as a joke.

I think Molly does a great job and hope she will still have an active role in s5.

• Mari says:

Me not liking Alexis has nothing to do with her not liking Beckett or that she doesn’t want Castle and Beckett together cause that never happened on the show. The only time that she said something that could across like that was when she said to Castle that he’s not a cop and if it was worth to be in such danger following one, but she was looking out for him, not because she didn’t like Beckett or didn’t want them together or perhaps in the future get married, so I really don’t know why Molly would say something like that channeling Alexis.
        First I didn’t like her ’cause she was kind of unreal and then the whole “I’m so smart and perfect why Stanford didn’t want me” thing was really annoying. I only reaalllyy liked her recently in the episode where she was working with Lanie.

6. pv says:

I’d LOVE an Alexis spinoff. K, mostly I want Veronica Mars back.

Molly is a charming actress and I look forward to whatever projects she’ll do throughout her career.

I’d miss her on Castle though. I love the family dynamic at the Castle homestead.

7. Rachael says:

Oh my lord … all these hints for the rest of the season are driving me insane (in a good way) … I need to see this stuff NOW!!

As for Molly Quinn, I’m assuming she is not going to leave the show. My guess is that either she’ll go to a school nearby (plenty to choose from in the NYC area: Yale, Columbia, etc.), or else she’ll just come back to visit home very often.

8. Kate says:

I’m so excited about how the rest of the season is going to play out! There’s a lot of info out there to suggest that those who have been waiting very patiently(???) to see Castle and Beckett finally shed the secrets and get together are going to be pleased. I don’t think it will be a smooth ride at all, but I guess that’s part of the fun. I can’t wait!

9. Meg says:

I hope if they get Castle and Beckett together its done well. If this goes downhill I will be SO sad! I think Alexis should stay on, shes an important part of the show!! And I think she would be awesome in a spinoff.

10. Audrey says:

Heck yeah! Bring on the rest of season 4. I’ve been enjoying the ride so far, tremendously.

I think Alexis play a big role in Castle’s life, and that it brings the best out of him. So, no, she can’t and won’t leave. And I also think that Molly Quinn is an actress with lots of potential, but in no way can she carry a show.

11. Audrey says:

Yep. Will Keck from TVGuide Magazine. He’d moderated previous two Castle’s Comic con panels before.

12. Vannesa says:

Can’t wait to watch the rest of the season unfold. ;) :D

13. Mike says:

Losing Alexis would really hurt this show, imo. She’s an important emotional counterbalance to everything.

14. james says:

I am certainly intrigued now. If Marlow and company can (I have no doubt that they will) come close to last seasons finale than we’re in for a treat. I do think its time for them to at least make an attempt to be together, if not, I fear its going to become very stale, very quickly. two thoughts on possible story lines. 1. Castle gets two close and gets burned, not him personally because thats two easy especially after last seasons finale, but wouldn’t it be crazy if maybe Alexis gets knock off. as much as I love Molly Quinn, one would have to admit that would be epic television, and think of what it would mean for season 5. especailly knowing how close he is with her. 2. what if they found out that Beckett’s mom was behind everything the whole time, she faked her own death, and turns out to be the villian the whole time. Both huge stretches but would make for interesting TV. at any event I hope they at least make out, cuz damn its getting rediculous the amount of tension between the two.

• Rachael says:

LOL maybe Beckett’s mom is Irina Derevko?? ;-)

• Enzell says:

Johanna Beckett coudn’t have faked her own death! :O There are even photos of her corpse from the crime scene with autopsy reports of her stab wounds taken so we can pretty much cross out Beckett’s mom popping out of the grave anytime in the finale.

15. Monica says:

But have they asked if Alexis will be back next season? I mean, even if she were to move away, she can still come home once in a while. I’d miss her so much.

16. Cheryl says:

This is FAR fetched I know, but the cliffhanger has got to be something dealing with their relationship. So what could possibly be a cliffhanger in their relationship? The secrets will be revealed before the finale. They will finally make out/get together close to the end of the final episode. Based on Marlowe’s comments, Castle’s sad about losing his daughter and he will feel alone. So just when we are all ecstatic about them getting together and think that’s it, Castle is going to get caught up in the moment and ask Kate to marry him. That would be a huge CLIFFHANGER. Sure, it’s too soon but that’s why it would be so surprising. He’s been married twice before, so it’s not new to him to propose.

• Caroline says:

OMG that would be amazing! I mean Castle has already fake proposed to Beckett but I would literally die if that actually happened!