ABC Reveals Desperate Housewives End Date, Schedules 17 Other May Finales

ABC is the second network (following The CW) to let loose with its May finale schedule, and among the dates is the day Desperate Housewives will wrap up its eighth and final season.

Keep in mind that The River wraps its freshman run on March 20, while Happy Endings ends its sophomore season April 4. (Body of Proof‘s finale date remains TBD.)

Tuesday, May 1
8/7c Last Man Standing

Sunday, May 6
10 pm GCB

Monday, May 7
10 pm Castle

Sunday, May 13
8 pm Once Upon a Time
9 pm Desperate Housewives (two-hour series finale)

Tuesday, May 15
8 pm Cougar Town (one-hour finale)
10 pm Private Practice

Wednesday, May 16
8:30 pm Suburgatory

Thursday, May 17
8 pm Missing (premieres Thursday, March 15)
9 pm Grey’s Anatomy
10 pm Scandal (premieres Thursday, April 5)

Friday, May 18
8 pm Shark Tank

Sunday, May 20
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos

Save the Dates: March’s Big Premieres and Finales!

Monday, May 21
8 pm Dancing with the Stars (final performance show)

Tuesday, May 22
9 pm Dancing with the Stars (final results show)

Wednesday, May 23
8 pm The Middle
9 pm Modern Family
9:30 pm Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 (premieres Wednesday, April 11)
10 pm Revenge

Which of the above finales are you most excited for-slash-dreading?

1. mcnurple says:

When’s the finale for Happy Endings?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

April 4.

• ScrubsGuy says:

Putting it in April makes me worry it’s going to be a series finale. Not putting it on during May sweeps certainly won’t be much help in promoting the series.

• mcnurple says:

I’d be mightily sad if the show doesn’t get renewed. It’s like the weirder cousin of Friends that I’ve grown to love.

• Brandon says:

I agree. “Happy Endings” is my favorite sitcom right now. I really hope it comes back, because all of my favorite ABC sitcoms tend to get cancelled after just one or two seasons.

2. Jared says:

Grey’s Anatomy isn’t having a 2 hour season finale? Boo :(

3. scooterbeanbag says:

Wonder why they broke Suburgatory out of their Wednesday Night lineup a week early.

4. wendy says:

A B C …PLZZZ DON’T TAKE THE GIRLS !!!! :o(

5. camila says:

hey abc people are able to tell when the season ending but when we are going to say if renewed???

6. Paul says:

Most excited for/dreading the season finale of Revenge. Hopefully by then jack knows who the real amanda is!

7. jennifer says:

Revenge is good,but,the big reveal is sooooo slow in coming. Hopefully Jack will figure out/find the whole Amanda truth soon. Having to wait until April for fresh episodes just makes me even more anxious/frustrated. Thanks Matt for the finale dates.

8. A says:

Wow, Castle ends early this year.

(Though it’s fairly certain – fingers crossed for a renewal!)

• syntax says:

It’s only because there are 5 Mondays in April and only 23 episodes this season. (I think that’s per request of the actors so they could have a little more time off during the summer hiatus.) So really if not for 5 Mondays in April I’d think it’d be the second Monday of May that season 4 would end. OUAT is the second Sunday of May and that had a long winter hiatus all because there also 5 Sundays in April. Only two days that have that many in April. :)

• J says:

Actually, Andrew Marlowe said that the network wanted 24 but he requested (and they agreed to) only 23 eps this season because without that, the writers wouldn’t get time off. He wanted them to get a break between seasons which they haven’t gotten the last couple years. The actors don’t have to come back to work nearly as early as the writers.

9. Kate says:

I will be happy when Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 is done. Mainly because I live in Apartment 23. And, even though I’m a b—-, I’m trustworthy.

10. Kit says:

What ever happened to sweeps ‘month.’ I used to look forward to three months a year when all the programming would be fresh and the best the networks had to offer. Now it seems that we have most shows only having one, or maybe two good episodes during sweeps.

Regardless, looking forward to DH two hour finale. And a bit disappointed that Grey’s is only one hour, and Private Practice is on a Tuesday.

11. Becca says:

“Most excited for/dreading” totally describes how I feel about the end of the t.v. season! Love it while it’s happening, hate it when it’s over lol

12. JJ says:

All I care about is that Cougar Town returns for season 4. May 15th better just be the last new episode until September! Six seasons and a movie!

13. fr33ddy says:

Too bad Suburgatory will not end in the abc comedy night… but it’s a chance for Apt. 23! When will Happy Endings end, on May 23? Thanks for this useful schedule!

14. Linderella says:

I hate the Private Practice move to Tuesday. It will (hopefully) be renewed but up against Parenthood (which MUST be renewed) at 10 PM in the fall. Thank goodness for DVRs!

15. alr says:

I don’t watch much on ABC but Once Upon a Time is one of the best new shows to come along in a long time!

16. Carmichael says:

At least Happy Endings got a full season and is listed as a ‘sure thing’ for season three.

• ScrubsGuy says:

But is it really safe? It did about as well as Cougar Town ratings-wise, so I hope it doesn’t get shafted like CT did this year.

• rod says:

happy endings is getting bigger ratings (demo wise) than suburgatory, last man standing, cougar town and the middle, so happy endings will get renewed over those shows

17. Aussie says:

Huh really hoped greys would get a 2 hour finale, 1 hr last wasn’t enough thought they would of learnt from that mistake mmmmm.

18. kevin says:

They left out Body of Proof but I have no idea when the season finale will air.

19. Raykov says:

Only Desperate Housewives and Cougar Town will get a double episode finales??? WOW – expected more

20. juan says:

Can’t wait for the surely awesome finale of Desperate Housewives, I hope it goes out with a bang. Also love CT and must be renewed. i watch a lot of ABC so this is when tv will start getting boring for me unfortunately.

21. Housewife Lover says:

^THIS^

22. Jake L says:

Why is Suburgatory ending its season a week earlier than the other comedies? Does it have a smaller episode order than The Middle and Modern Family? What will air at 8:30 the following week when those two finish?

23. fernando says:

ABC is smart saving the best for last,Revenge finale will mind blowing just like the whole season have been. I love it.

I hope DH two hour finale will be as awesome as the show has been for 8 years.

im sad to see Body of Proof will be cancel, I mean look how ABC has been treating it this year, showing it one weekand then dont show it for two weeksand then it comes back for two weeks and then gone for a month.

I hope GCB will do welland geta season 2

and I think Private Practice moving to Tuesday will be great it gets to have DWTS result show as a lead in.

24. hiho says:

Do you think the Middle is an hour finale on the 23rd?

25. Mari says:

I wish Castle had one more episode, like last season. :(

26. Ana says:

I don’t understand why the network bothers to puts a new show out like The River, Missing, GCB and Scandal to only give them a couple of months on the air and then have nothing worth watching over the summer. That’s why people keep gravitating towards cable and networks keep losing viewers, IMO.

27. CJ says:

Sunday nights (well, Mondays most of the time) definitely arent going to be the same!!! Does anyone know if ABC plans on doing a “retrospective” DH episode? After all, its been a HUGE show for them for a long time…at least give us loyal viewers a chance with the great actors/actresses to relive their best scenes & memories one last time. I know in the past a lot of times long-running shows do this…but heard nothing. =( Michael A? Matt? ANYONE???

• fernando says:

my favorite susan scene has still to this day been whe she was stuck outside her house naked.She did that scene oh so well.

Bree had a lot of great scenes, I love when she told everyone in the dinner that rex cries after sex, I love when she was drunk and got stuck in the mall and when she also got drunk and fell asleep in her yard while andrew turned on the sprinkler.

Lynette best acting was at the shooting,she had me crying.

and Gaby had to be when she mowed the lawn at night for carlos would not fire john

• Danielle says:

You’ve described memorable scenes, for sure. I’ve watched Desperate Housewives religiously almost from the beginning and will watch through the finale. The show still has its moments. Besides those scenes you’ve mentioned, how about when Lynette was popping her kids’ ADD medicine. Haha And, yes, Gaby and the yard boy dodging Carlos.

28. "Desperate" Fan says:

C.J.- I agree with you. Many fans say DH wasn’t as good the last few years as during its’ first seasons-but-you know what-REGARDLESS-This show deserves a retrospective/special of some kind. For many years, DH was a signature show for Abc & deserves at least that much. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that special though. It’s a shame. Over on Fox,I thought HOUSE would get a 2-hour finale,but,instead they are doing a one-hour retrospective followed by the finale. The ladies of Desperate Housewives deserved at least some type of a retrospective/special.

29. julie says:

Desperate Housewives has had so many memorable scenes over the years. I don’t think any program could be on so long without gathering a list of memorable scenes(not always happy,but memorable indeed). I remember the plane going right through Wisteria Lane-then having to wait to find out who lived/who died. Also remember a Halloween episode(with everyone wearing costumes) where just as someone is giving birth-trick or treaters look in-freak out at the scene & run away absolutely petrified-THAT SCENE HAD ME LAUGHING SO HARD!!! It was hysterical!! And of course:who could forget the one with Susan being naked outside-very funny &well-done. I love all the ladies,but,I have always had a special fondness for Susan & Gaby. Also very much enjoyed Andrew,also Julie. Also liked Lynette’s daughter Penny. Over the years,this show gave me so much enjoyment & it will truly,truly be missed. I think most DH fans can come up with many special memories of their own. This particular program will always have a special place in my heart. Always.

30. julie says:

I just remembered who gave birth in the Halloween episode-I believe it was Danielle. Because of the trick-or-treaters reaction-I laughed my ass off! It truly was hysterical!!!

31. Audrey says:

Wow. Castle ends early this year, and that mean the long break between seasons (*crossing my fingers** please renew the show already, ABC!) will be dreadful. The next Nikki Heat novel usually is released near the show’s season premiere and it looks like we’ll get a good 4months gap (May 7th to Mid/late September-ish — Frozen Heat will be out on Sept. 25th).

32. Jamie says:

I only care about Castle, Once Upon a Time and The River. Something good had better happen between Beckett and Castle and I don’t mean anything earth-shattering, just enough to move that relationship along. In OUAT, I just hope someone really kicks Regina’s bootie hard. I am so fed up with her winning every battle. When is Emma going to prove herself to be a worth adversary? So far, she’s more like a Keystone Cop. David/Charming’s a joke and don’t even get me started on MM/Snow. And I also hope they feature Rumple/Mr. Gold more in the rest of the episodes. His stories are the only ones really holding my interest anymore. The River. Renewed or not, I just hope they don’t find Cole yet. The journey so far’s been great and creepy along the way. I’m still having nightmares about those d*mn dolls in that tree! And for crying out loud, lose the accordion already!

33. Leo says:

Can anybody tell me why Private Practice ends on Tuesday instead of Thursday?

34. Tori says:

Thanks for the list. Any ideas on the rest of the networks and cable?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The CW’s finale calendar is linked to in first sentence. We’ll surely do a full May Finales Calendar at a later date.

• Tori says:

OK. Thanks again for all the hard work and effort it takes to do this.

I looked right over the CW calendar don’t watch anything on it.

35. Esther Estrada says:

Desperate Housewives is, without a doubt, one of the best soaps on TV. I loved all the girls, each with her own personality. I was really hoping that the network would change its mind and continue the show. It’s a shame that they will end the series because of a lawsuit by one of its ex-cast members. I’m still hopeful that these lovely ladies will one day make a comeback!!

36. Jim says:

Desperate Housewives and Gray’s Anatomy have outlasted their usefulness to the network. As much as the raves they get, the network sees a financial advantage in going with ‘no name’ reality shows. The dollar is all that counts, that’s why they’re in business.

37. Appreciation to my father who stated to me about this weblog, this blog is actually remarkable.

38. Following the steps below will necessitate dwile flonking ludham this.
    What do you want to use is a toothbrush. You can do that is to raise the country’s potential economic
    growth.