Pilot Scoop: Julian McMahon Lands Lead in Fox's CIA Drama, Angela Bassett to Co-Star

Nip/Tuck vet Julian McMahon is thisclose to sewing up the lead role in a CIA-themed drama pilot at Fox, and Angela Bassett is nearing a deal to join him.

The Untitled Karyn Usher Project finds McMahon playing a rogue CIA agent who becomes a surrogate father to an orphaned 14-year-old daughter (Saxon Sharbino) of an operative.

Bassett is in final talks to play CIA Director Alice Vargas — who is not to be confused with CIA Director Hayden Chase, the character she played on Alias.

Usher, whose credits include Bones and Prison Break, penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Brett Ratner, Marty Adelstein, Shawn Levy and Becky Clements.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Toni says:

You made my day! :) Love him.

2. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

BELTHAZOR LIVES!

3. Barb says:

It’s fine and dandy that all these blurbs are coming out about actors getting cast in these pilots but most of them won’t even make it past the pilot or the the tv screen. Wouldn’t it be better to report when a show has been given series green light instead. Just venting.

• dan says:

Creating a buzz on a pilot might help it to get a green light. It is frustrating, though, especially when you get excited and it never sees the light of day.

4. Alissa says:

Barb, nobody is forcing you to read. Some of us are actually interested in casting.

5. Charmala says:

OMG LOVE LOVE Julian McMahon I so hope this get the green light and is on next season. Not to mention FOX could use a great new drama with House falling off the map and the Finder sucking. Nice to have something to look forward to.

6. Linda says:

I love too and have missed him so much. I don’t normally watch Fox but I would for him.

Hope the deal gets signed and this pilot gets picked up!

7. SW says:

YES! This just made my day. I’ve missed him so much since Nip/Tuck ended. I’ve been dying for him to land another TV show. So excited :D

8. Lyn says:

Like Julian McMahon; love Angela Bassett; not so sure about the “surrogate dad to a 14-year-old-girl” part, which sounds all to familiar.

9. Ana says:

The plot sounds interesting but I can’t get Nip/Tuck out of my mind when I see Julian. And that show was so vile that I still can’t see anything with him or Dylan or even Roma.

10. Margo says:

Angela Bassett, potentially back on screen! That is super great news :)

• Winnie says:

Yes! I enjoy both Angela Bassett and Julian McMahon, so I hope this one will make it to air. At the very least, tv show focus group guy or gal – call me!

11. Niki says:

Yay! So freaking excited!! I’m 100% sure it will get picked up!
    I LOVE Julian McMahon and I can’t wait to see him in a new show as a lead! <3 They just have to give the green light. It's the one and only JULIAN MCMAHON PEOPLE!!!

12. Susy says:

I’m so happy Julian McMahon is back!!! I’ve missed him since Charmed! He is soo fine and talented- just hope Fringe doesn’t get cancelled to make room for this show. Maybe the two shows could air back-to-back? I’m just wishing out loud.

13. Patry says:

Julian Mcmahon is an amazing actor. Can’t wait to see him in a new role!!! I like Angela Besset too. I’m sure this will be picked up. Fingers crossed!

14. Hellcougar says:

FLOVE Julian McMahon. Love the idea of him playing an agent. Another precocious 14 year old who thinks they are 35 on television? PLEASE NO!!! The daughter is already ruining on of my other fav shows, Castle. So don’t need another one on television.

15. Andrea says:

Is this the same CIA-themed pilot that Bradley Whitford is in, or are we talking about two different pilots?

16. pv says:

Sounds awesome!

I hope the 14 year old girl is quite a bit like Hanna and not the mall-rat type. I want her all badass and awesome