Emmys

Emmys Buzz: Jon Cryer Moves Up to Lead Actor Race - Do You Think He Made the Right Call?

After six consecutive years of vying in the Supporting Actor in a Comedy race, Two and a Half Men‘s Jon Cryer reportedly will submit himself in the lead category at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards.

As noted by the Gold Derby awards-centric website, which first reported on the change-up, both Cryer (whose camp would not confirm the move) and then-costar Charlie Sheen submitted for Lead Actor during the first two years of Men‘s run, but with zero success. After Cryer downshifted to the supporting race starting in 2006, he netted a supporting nod every single year, while Sheen went on to amass four lead nods. Win-winning!

Emmys Buzz: Downton Abbey Switches to Drama Series Race – Will It End Mad Men‘s Reign?

With Sheen “moved on” now, and the supporting comedy actor race as competitive as ever (thanks to the Modern Family men) — and, as Gold Derby points out, both Steve Carell (gone from The Office) and Matt LeBlanc (Episodes is not eligible this year) out of the mix, Cryer’s move seems prudent.

Last year’s Lead Actor in a Comedy shortlist looked like this; Parsons went on to win:
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Louis C.K., Louie
Steve Carell, The Office
Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Do you think Cryer has a chance to net a nod in the Lead category? And which funny man would you like to see seize his vacancy in the supporting race?

1. Dryden says:

Sure, why not? He’ll lose, but he wasn’t going to beat any of the Modern Family people. And this gives Max Greenfield a slot for getting a nom in the Supporting category.

2. Iago says:

i say damon wayans jr takes his place.

3. BonesFringeFan says:

Who cares about him. I will never put any weight on an Emmy award again until John Noble or Anna Torv win one. Their rejection of actors/actresses on sci-fi-esque shows is getting ridiculous.

• ScrubsGuy says:

I agree 100% with your comment about Emmy relevance and Fringe. If you’re not going to recognize the best through nomination, what’s the point?

• BonesFringeFan says:

Exactly. Some of the most popular shows around are sci-fi. I bet the Emmy selection group/voters couldn’t provide one single reason why sci-fi is “unworthy”. It’s disgraceful. The likes of Glee and Two & A Half Men are considered worthy, but Fringe and other shows like it aren’t? It’s a joke.

• Nara says:

Not much of a Fringe fan, but I definitely agree about the ridiculous rejection of sci-fi/fantasy shows in general.

• Gina says:

If horrible Anna Torv is ever so much as nominated for an Emmy for her stinky performances on Fringe, it will devalue the entire awards process.

• Emily says:

I’m guessing you’re vying for Snooki? If you’re going to criticize, try to use a better adjective than “stinky”.

4. tvaddict says:

I would love for any of the men of Parks & Rec, Cougar Town, or Happy Endings to take his spot.

5. allie8 says:

no, I still see his character as a supporting actor. Regardless of which category he enters I do not see him winning – haven’t liked the writing for his character in awhile. More pathetic – less funny.

6. Barbara Darlin says:

No. The show is barely tolerable and all gas, farts, little boy jokes. And hs character has gone beyond loser.

• harmoney says:

Agreed. When Alan had to pay alimony to Judith, he had a reason to live at Charlie’s house. He was a successful chiropractor who did not have a lot of money left over due to the alimony payments. His financial problems were situational and not a reflection of his character. Instead of developing new problems and obstacles for Alan, the writers just turned him into a loser who can barely support himself.

• J.Norman says:

Certainly agree about the part of “character has gone (insert far) beyond loser”
      The character of Alan has just about totally driven me from watching
      the show. Really, is anyone more grating on the nerves?

Well, possibly Schmidt on New Girl, but that’s about it.

I thought that when they were contemplating their options last spring with regards to 2 1/2 men, that they could have simply had the 1/2 man refer to Alan.
      After all, he has been less that a man for 7 years.

7. Kat says:

Cryer can enter as a leading man but he won’t win. There are too many other actors who are funnier, more charming and on better shows. Men has gone steadily downhill without Sheen and Cryer just doesn’t have what it takes to be considered leading man material.

• april-ann says:

I agree. And while I’m at it, what an arrogant s.o.b. Cryer must be to have submitted for lead actor the first two years of TAAHM when he was obviously a supporting character. “Ducky” is a mediocre actor at best who got a lucky break. If not for Charlie Sheen and his ability to tackle Charlie Harper with such charismatic aplomb, this has-been would have been delegated to a never-was in record time. What an ungrateful pig who thinks so very highly of himself.

8. jenna says:

Not funny, shouldn’t win.

Off topic but I still can’t believe Episodes was nominated for ANYTHING. That show is awful

9. dot says:

If Ron swanson or Andy from parks and rec don’t get nomination am really ganna think this thing is riged and Amy pohler should totally win this year I was her idea to do the beueaty pagent bit last year witch was the highlight of the emmys and she does amazing work on parks and rec come on people at emmys she deserves it!

10. Mh says:

He can do whatever he wants. We all know this award will be going to jim parisons. Which btw he deserves

11. matthew c says:

I don’t think it matters anyway. Jim Parsons is going to win again. If anything it just allows another victory for Modern Family.

12. josh says:

lead actor should go to parsons and supporting actor nominees should be wayans jr. pudi, glover o’neill, and burrell with wayans jr. or glover winning it.

13. Matt says:

Well since three of the nominees won’t be nominated and thier were a ton of new great comedies and because two half men sucks now he won’t get a nod and a lot of unexpected picks will

14. Evelyn says:

Joel McHale, Danny Pudi and Donald Glover should all win this award before this boring man does.

15. Carmichael says:

Sure, since it means there’s a slot of Nick Offerman or Danny Pudi. Though I still say Ed O’Neill and Eric Stonestreet don’t need nominations, so there should be THREE spots open.

16. Chmarin says:

He’s gonna get a nomination, for sure. That category is often one of the weakest ones, thanks to the voters who fail to nominate standout performers such as Joel McHale. I’m actually happy he did that – now this opens up a spot in the supporting category for someone who *isn’t* on Modern Family.

17. Lat says:

Joel McHale should be nominated this year

18. Vack says:

Why is Episodes not eligible this year?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The eligibility period is June 1, 2011-May 31, 2012. EPISODES wrapped its first season in February 2011, and Season 2 remains unscheduled/certainly won’t premiere in time.

• Tommy says:

It aired last year and is not airing again until later in 2012.

19. Christie says:

All I care about is Joel McHale being nominated after being snubbed two years in a row.

And hey, if Jon Cryer is taking himself out of Supporting Actor contention, then there’s room for Donald Glover or Danny Pudi on that list.

20. R says:

This nomination needs to go to Danny Pudi, Nick Offerman, or Simon Helberg.

21. Jake says:

Jon has won best supporting actor, the year Neil Patrick harris should have finally won, so maybe his opening will open the slot for Neil.

22. Lu says:

He´s not going to win, jim parsons will, and he should. Also Johnny Galecki should be out of the race in any category, I like Leonard but this season he had 0 storys. For the supporting Simon Helberg killed it on TBBT and also max Greenfield is great on new girl

23. J says:

WHATEVER! Still don’t cares!
    I’m tired of the Emmy’s, always the same peoples who win each year..
    Unless, they create a nw category “Nominated each year & been robbed every year” and GIVE finally an Emmy to HLaurie, I’ll probably watch…
    Plus, maybe the ceremony will be more fun if thoses who have won already(specially thoses who had more than 2 for the same roles) retract theirs names of the categories, to make places for thoses who deserve to be included or thoses who never win…
    But, till then, I’ll probably DVR the whole thing too long, too boring…predictable each year!

24. Aidan Williams says:

This sounds great i am such a big fan and i hope he wins.

25. JohnDoe says:

That’s cool, he’s earned his stripes, but he’ll still lose to Jim Parsons or one of the Modern Family guys.

26. Tori says:

Well I still think he’s chances suck. Between Baldwin or Parsons on of them will probably walk away with it. It’s better than supporting since the Entire Modern Family cast Men and Women agreed to sumit themselves as supporting they will continue to clean up.

27. Amber says:

Good riddance, that opens up a spot for Ron f’ing Swanson or Danny Pudi or Donald Glover. Ideally for me, the race would be between those 3, plus Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris. But then I wouldn’t know who to root for.

28. Julie says:

My bet is that he gets the nomination, only because Sheen’s not there and just to make it seem like Men has trully moved on from its Sheen years, but he will never get the win no matter with who he will be up against. So sure, why not let him have a nomination so we can go on with some more interesting news?

29. kirads09 says:

I totally second the comments about Torv and Noble deserving Emmys!
    They have delivered that caliber of performance throughout the series and are deserving.

Cryer can do what he wants. If Parson’s is nominated in that category (which I would assume he again will be) I don’t think Cryer would stand a chance.

30. Abe Froman says:

It doesn’t matter what Cryer does. Jim Parsons has been phenomenal this season and is a lock to win again.

31. Erin says:

He won’t even get a nomination. His character is just awful.

32. Mary says:

No way will Jon Cryer win or even be nominated. His character is really poor. It is truly ONLY a supporting role. He’s dreaming.

33. Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a littee more on this subject?

I’d bbe very grateful if youu could elaborate a little bit further.
    Manny thanks!

34. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether
    this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble.
    You are wonderful! Thanks!

35. Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let
    you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and
    both show the same outcome.