Ratings: Person of Interest Eyes All-Time Highs, Awake Drops Versus Fresh Mentalist

Get More: News, Ratings

Oh, baby! CBS’ Person of Interest this Thursday rose 8 and 10 percent from its last fresh episode to deliver all-time highs of 15.8 million total viewers and a 3.4 demo rating. That makes it the night’s most-watched scripted show, besting even lead-out The Mentalist.

Due to some basketball preemptions, CBS’ tallies are subject to change, and I’ll try to keep you updated later.

Also on the high side this week was The Finder‘s final Thursday foray, which drew its second-largest audience ever (7.3 million viewers, up 18 percent) and surged 15 percent in the demo (to a 2.3). The Bones offshoot will unspool its final three freshman episodes on Fridays at 8, starting April 6; Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch claims the Thursdays-at-9 spot next week.

Thursday’s other big headline goes to NBC’s widely acclaimed Awake, which facing the aforementioned fresh Mentalist episode dropped 32 and 20 percent from its premiere, to 4.3 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating. That said, I must remind: Episode 3 is thrilling.

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | American Idol‘s results show drew 17 mil and a 4.8, dipping 7 and 11 percent week-to-week, and (just because) down more than 20 percent versus Season 10′s first cut-down. Big Bang Theory (15.2 mil/5.1) led the night in the demo, while slipping a few percentage points. NBC’s 30 Rock (3.5 mil/1.4) was flat, but Parks and Recreation‘s final pre-hiatus episode (3.8 mil/1.9) gained 12 percent in the demo to score its best rating since Nov. 17.

9 pm | Both The Office (5 mil/2.6) and Up All Night (3.54 mil/1.7) gained a tenth in the demo.

10 pm | The Mentalist — which also airs a new episode tonight at 8! — drew 13.8 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, up a few percentage points. ABC’s repeat of the GCB premiere mustered 3.8 mil and a 1.3.

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

Comments (34)

• Last night’s Person of Interest had some great moments. I loved how both John and Finch were acting around the baby. There were some hilarious scenes. Especially when they did that horrible sketch of Finch and he said, “It’s no wonder they never find anyone with these things.”

Comment by Lena120 – March 9, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally, I thought last night’s episode was just plain bad. The baby plot bored me quite a bit.

Awake, on the other hand, was still fantastic. That show deserves better ratings.

Comment by Anthony – March 9, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, the baby plot was dull, but the baby was adorable and it seems as if Person of Interest has found its stride. Audiences like the Jim Caviezel/Michael Emerson team, the low-wattage mythology running through it, and the clever bits of badassery and mayhem. I’m not a huge fan of the show, but it deserves its success. It started out very boring but they’ve turned it around, more or less.

Comment by Donna – March 9, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have the networks learned yet that premiering shows at such a late date in the season is not a good idea? The return of Cougar Town, Awake, GCB, etc. are all suffering because people don’t have the same awareness or are already rigidly adhering to their TV schedules.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – March 9, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with everything you’ve said. Awake is really an amazing show and because of it’s mid season debut it can’t catch hold. It deserves to have A LOT more people watching it…makes me wonder about these network executives level of intelligence.

Comment by Natalie – March 11, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed last night’s Awake but admit the ending puzzled me more than a bit. Also, was that a trademark “Lost/Fringe” OMGWTF musical sting I heard at the end? I’m a Fringe fan, but I don’t need to add another “WTF” show to my schedule. I heard the 3rd episode is better than the 2nd, so I’ll be watching next week. Gosh, I sure do love Jason Isaacs though.

Comment by Donna – March 9, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought CBS was airing a new episode of The Mentalist next Thursday? That’s what I found on the listings.

Comment by robinepowell – March 9, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, next Thursday is NCAA Basketball. Another new episode tonight at 8, though!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 9, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is unlikely. Next week March Madness will be happening and shows on Thursday and Friday night will be pre-empted for basketball. Some markets may differ, but normally nothing will be on CBS except basketball and I for one can’t wait!

Comment by G – March 9, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evidently the pre-accident Michael Britten knew something higher-ups didn’t want him to know and hence the accident; however, the casting of the terrific Laura Innes as the Police Chief had me wondering if I was watching “The Event” instead of “Awake.” That being said, it was a great episode and I trust we will learn all about the little guy as the weeks progress. The cast, especially the wonderful Jason Isaacs, makes me enjoy both of his realities.

Comment by Linderella – March 9, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A big high 5 to Person of Intereat!!!!!!!!

Comment by joterri – March 9, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed to see awake went down I enjoyed the pilot and the plot is so very intriguing I’m curious to learn more about the characters, how the accident happened and all the dynamics.

Comment by Rob – March 9, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is parks and rec getting these low ratings its so funny and last night episode was soooooooo funny this sucks! Came on even are president loves this show

Comment by dot – March 9, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR
      OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR
      OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR OUR

Not the present tense of the verb ‘to be’.

My god.

Comment by Gah. – March 11, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anal retentive much? Gah!

Comment by natalie – March 11, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Mentalist was good. Darcy is headed for trouble it seems, I liked the soldier guy, and Jane and Lisbon were in top form. In fact, I found their banter and niter action so enjoyable, that at about 4 minutes in I scanned the credits to find out who wrote the script. I might’ve known it was Bruno. He does such a great job.

Comment by Hallie – March 9, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was meant to say, “I found their banter and interactions last night so enjoyable…” Autocorrect. ;)

Comment by Halle – March 9, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could someone explain me WHY last night ratings for CBS (PoI and TM) may change because preemptions, since as as far as I know, those games are for next week? Or was it supposed to be starting last night? O.o

Comment by HG – March 9, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Talking regular season college basketball, which preempted CBS programming in some markets.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 9, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They didn’t air Awake here because of BB. It’s on some ungodly hour on Sun. per my DVR.

Comment by Diz – March 9, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Awake picks back up, I really enjoy it. Wish it wasn’t on so late though…

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – March 9, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the comment above about the networks airing new programs at this time of the year. Too many viewers entrenched in other shows, and without a whole heck of a lot of regular advertising and fanfare for at least the 4 weeks preceeding airing the pilot along with ongoing adverts to continue to attract viewers, these new progams haven’t much of a chance.

That said, I’m hopeful for Jason Isaacs and his new series, but will only DVR it until I know for sure they’ll run the entire 1st season -I’m just not willing to get sucked into to something that’s interesting and new (with decent critical acclaim) like “Lonestar” last year, “Journeyman” the year or two before, and numerous others of course.

Maybe if all viewers to just recorded new programs until the network demonstrated a commitment to a program before watching a single episode. If everyone did this, maybe the networks wouldn’t jerk the viewers around so much. You never see HBO or FX pulling the plug half way through the first season.

Comment by JD – March 9, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is exactly what I’m doing w/Alcatraz, Awake and Touch. If they get a season 2, I’ll watch them, if not I’ll just delete from the DVR. I got majorly hooked by Terra Nova and am feeling very bitter Fox cancelled.

Comment by Renee – March 9, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually enjoying Awake, I hope it perks back up in the ratings! Next week should be great, with Community, Vampire Diaries, 30 Rock, and Awake to look forward to. I only wish Parks and Rec weren’t getting bumped off.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 9, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the Mentalist,but it upset me that Darcy think that
    Jane is Red John.

Comment by christy – March 9, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the premiere episode of Awake, thought the writing was excellent for both “universes”. I was a wee disappointed the way last nights episode ended in that it seems to be the same ole sinister undertone to the plot and it’s relation to the main character’s struggle.. I was hoping it would just be a season long exploration of his struggle between his two realities /his work life mixed in…does that make sense?

Comment by Annie – March 9, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt mentioned The Mentalist airing at 8pm tonight,but, I thought it was airing at 9pm. Anyone know 4 sure.

Comment by jennifer – March 9, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news for POI! It’s getting better, I just hope they do more with each character and explore their personal lives.

Comment by Margo – March 9, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope AWAKE gets more viewers next week even though CBS begins its telecast of the March Madness tournament and also next week marks the return of COMMUNITY.

Comment by kevin – March 9, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love Awake! Most of us where I work are downloading and watching at other times because late Thursday night, we arent watching TV….either at work or on way to work or going to bed. Frankly about 80 people are watching this where I work on their breaks via computer. Some of us who are really into the clues are watching it more than once. Numbers who are watching on Thursday evening is probably not the best indicator these days of who is watching.

Comment by Kate – March 10, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s time to update the renewal scorecard to show Person of Interest as A Sure Thing. Don’t see CBS cancelling the highest rated show on Thursday.

Comment by Maureen – March 10, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog readers have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

Comment by useful source – May 23, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no back up.
    Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

Comment by www.agelessartifice.com – May 28, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.

Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

Comment by best backlinks service – June 21, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post