TVLine Items: Glee Plans Full Whitney Tribute, 90210 Star on Leave, ATWT Vet to B&B and More

Though Glee honored the late Whitney Houston last month with an unexpectedly timely cover of “I Will Always Love You,” TVLine has confirmed that New Directions will once again and more purposefully celebrate the musical icon this season with one of its signature tribute episodes.

As first reported by E! Online, the Fox drama is currently in production on the special installment that centers on the growing pains of Glee‘s graduating seniors. “It’s using Whitney’s music as a way to say goodbye,” a source tells the site. “A way to respectfully say ‘thank you’ for her music.”

Glee resumes with new episodes on April 10.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

90210 star Tristan Wilds will be MIA from roughly four episodes of the CW soap near the end of its current season due to an undisclosed illness, E! Online reports. Wilds will be seamlessly written out, though, when the musically-inclined Dixon leaves town to go on tour.

• As the World Turns vet Jon Hensley will appear on The Bold and the Beautiful in at least two episodes, starting May 1, as a doctor involved in the Hope-Liam-Steffy storyline, TV Guide Magazine reports.

• CMT’s The Singing Bee premieres its fourth season Friday, April 20 at 8/7c, which includes the series’ 50th episode.

Cary Elwes (Saw/The Princess Bride) will guest-star in the Season 5 premiere of Leverage, EW.com reports, playing a “modern-day Howard Hughes.”

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Glee, News, TVLine Items

1. George says:

pssst…Jon Hensley will actually be appearing on “Bold & the Beautiful” ;)

2. John Berggren says:

I think it’s very appropriate for Glee to celebrate Whitney in this way.

3. Allison says:

someone’s going to rehab just like his character!

4. Lana says:

Love that I’ll get more Whitney covers…but again, Glee, you did promise “no more flashy guest stars, no more tribute episodes”. This really was their promise after they screwed up last season. And so far they got Ricky Martin and a Michael tribute episode. I liked both those episodes, but still annoyed that they’re doing everything they said they wouldnt.

• Gretchen says:

I liked those episodes, but I’m still going to complain, because that’s what people do about Glee.

• A says:

They stuck to that promise during the first half of the season. It focused on character growth and plot lines. Some of the episodes were really boring though as a result.

I think it’ll be fun now that once every few episodes they’ll have some interesting guest stars with real purpose for plot development. For example, Matt Bomer as Blaine’s brother and Gloria Estefan as Santana’s mom. Even though they are high profile guest stars, they will be playing legitimate roles and aren’t there just for show.
      Also a Whitney tribute seems like a nice thing to do.

• yep says:

I agree totally. I enjoyed Michael epi. There will be another Saturday Night Fever music. That is enough. There are only 6-8 episodes left of this season they need to stick with their promise of no more tributes this season and stick with their intended story lines for the remainder of s4. There are so many other wonderful artists to peruse and use their songs to express their feelings about anything. It is nice they want to pay tribute but save it for s4. This is ridiculous and too much. Whitney Houston was my contemporary and I watched and listened to her exceptional artistry since her start. But too many tributes this season and swaying away from the promises the creators made prior to s3 start. I want the creators to stay on tract and keep telling the stories they want to tell but within reason. I agree they are doing everything they said they would NOT. I’m disappointed Glee. There are so many beautiful songs to use to express what you want to say without another tribute.

5. Brandon says:

That’s going to hurt the ratings for 90210, Dixon is one of thier most well known characters that for some reason the females gush over. Hope homie isn’t too sick.

6. Jo says:

Tristan Wilds can stay gone. He is and always had been the worst thing about 90210.

• Ari says:

How do you determine what is the worst thing about 90210?

• Beth Ann says:

I agree, 90210 without Dixon would be a much more interesting place! He and Adrianna can both leave, actually, I’d be thrilled!

• Tina says:

Tristan Wilds’ dixon for 4 seasons has been one of 90210’s top characters. The fans have followed him throughout some nonsense and spreaded good. Adrianna and Dixon are actually one of the top current 90210 couples. You can be thrilled all you want many more would be upset and like someone said already, it’s going to hit them in the ratings and not in a good way.

7. Laura says:

I really hope Mercedes/Amber Riley is at least singing half of those Whitney songs she’s really the only one who can pull off Whitney’s vocals!

8. Margo says:

Really Glee? A Whitney tribute episode?! Thats unnecessary! After what they did with the Michael Jackson episode, I can’t imagine a Whitney episode being any better.

9. Danielle H says:

I thought maybe Glee would bypass this and leave it be at Mercedes’s cover. Guess not. It’s so sad, I wish the show would have at least some shame.

10. Kevin H. says:

Not surprised that Glee is doing another tribute. The reason is eroding ratings. I suspect when ratings drop further, Fox will put it behind a big ratings show.

11. Elle says:

HOLY CRAP, LEVERAGE NEWS!

12. STW says:

I think it is a mistake for the show to spend one of its final six episodes of Season Three–the last time we’ll have all of the original cast together at McKinley High–by veering from the story & music they had originally planned in order to do a tribute episode. Glee is always at its very best when it sticks to the stories and songs it has planned out from the start; it goes off track when it tries to throw things in at the last minute to respond to temporary social moments or to respond to fan demands. Spending an entire episode using the show to focus on Whitney, rather than keeping an unvarying laser-sharp focus on the stories of these characters, doesn’t feel right to me. The writers are brilliant, so they may pull it off well, but I now find myself in the position of feeling like I need to be proven wrong, rather than unequivocally looking forward to everything being done right as we move into the culmination of a story that the show has been planning and preparing for since last August (and, really, with the main characters, since 2009 when the show first began to set these characters on their journeys).

• yep says:

Well said. Since their doing Saturday Night Fever too this will be TOO MUCH AND TOTALLY UNNECESSARY for now. 6-8 episodes left of the season stay with the story telling to send off the graduates.

13. don says:

i was impressed withe the previous ‘tribute’. more will be too much…waaaaaaay too much.

14. nos8972 says:

i don’t really care about Dixon and his musical storyline. a bit boring tho..

15. Angel says:

Oh gawd, not another crappy tribute episode — Those always totally suck in terms of story. Yes, let’s take someone’s hits and cram them into a storyline where they don’t really fit and it makes no sense.