Exclusive: American Horror Story Wants 'Angelina Jolie' For Pivotal Season 2 Role

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

American Horror Story Angelina JolieAmerican Horror Story is going after Angelina Jolie… sort of.

Ryan Murphy & Co. have quietly begun casting a major new Season 2 arch nemesis for Jessica Lange — and they’re using one of Jolie’s most famous movie roles as their template, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Major American Horror Story Spoiler Alert: Find Out Who’ll Be Back For Season 2 — and Who Won’t

The series regular character, Gia, is described as a fierce, ferocious, extremely sexual and dangerous wild-child sexpot who harbors a secret — “think Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted,” reads the casting notice. As such, interested actresses should be in their mid-20s and Caucasian.

Production on Horror Story‘s second season doesn’t get underway in mid-July, so producers are giving themselves ample time to find the right performer for the plum part. Feel free to offer up a suggestion or two in the comments. I’ll get you started: Adrianne Palicki!

Comments (82)

• Antonia Thomas. #justsaying

Comment by Willw – March 9, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know she’s not Caucasian, but why not think outside of the box Murphy and Co., hmmmm?

Comment by Will – March 9, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! Antonia would be fantastic. I’m not sure why this character would need to be white. AHS should work more towards having a more diverse cast.

Comment by Stephanie – March 9, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Will. Why does it always have to be a Caucasian? Why don’t get another ethnicity?

That being said: Laura Vandervoort (Smallville) or Jamie Chung (Chuck)

Comment by BevanC – March 9, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The race of the character is probably plot-specific (like Lange’s daughter, perhaps?) thus the need for a Caucasian actress.

Comment by WayneInNYC – March 9, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If that is true, then sure. No problem. But my fear is that it is not plot specific. If it isn’t, I’m Team Antonia Thomas all the way.

Comment by Will – March 9, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If it is plot specific, why not Mena Suvari? She worked on the first season, and if you see the 2007 movie ‘Stuck’ you’ll know she can pull this kind of thing off.

Comment by Will – March 9, 2012 04:30 PM PDT
      • Obviously, there is a reason that he role is specifically Caucasian. Murphy and Co are clearly very, very good about casting diverse ethnicities in the ir projects.

Comment by Tarc – March 9, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She would be a great choice. Especially since she’s done with Misfits :(

Comment by WilleM – March 9, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darn it! Now I can’t picture anyone other than Angelina Jolie for the role

Comment by A – March 9, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should go after Megan Fox. Her movie career is kinda stalling and a one season gig working opposite Jessica Lange certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Comment by M – March 9, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How good of an actress is Megan Fox? Transformers isn’t exactly a great resume for dramatic acting…

Comment by Ryan – March 9, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Watch her in Friends with Kids. I was surprised and impressed.

Comment by CJ – March 14, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lindsey lohan, perfect for a comeback role

Comment by rob – March 9, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barf! If Ryan and Co want the show to last they won’t.

Comment by V – March 9, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Lindsay Lohan isn’t exactly proving that she can still act, and I don’t want to take any chances with one of my favorite shows by having them cast her…

Comment by Ryan – March 9, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margarita Levieva or Evan Rachel Wood, i know Margarita isn’t in her 20′s anymore but i’d like to see her in a big role.

Comment by aaa – March 9, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ERW is good, but pass on Margarita. She’s a good actress, but I think her American accent is atrociously nasal and it bugged me on Revenge.

Comment by DL – March 9, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s also just plain atrocious. I spend half of Revenge going, why does this New York stripper have a russian accent?

Comment by Captian – March 9, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Evan Rachel Wood would be amazing.

Comment by Ryan – March 9, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are looking for an actress which rules Megan Fox out. I can picture Madam Lange if Megan Fox walked on set. Blech.

Comment by sean – March 9, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They want a psychotic woman? How about Colton from Survivor?

Comment by JJ – March 9, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you can’t have Angelina Jolie, how about Kristen Bauer from “True Blood”?

Comment by Mark – March 9, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zoe Saldana

Comment by Yvonne – March 9, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzy Caplan, now that she’s done on New Girl. Also Maggie Grace, Natalie Dormer, Nora Zehetner or Abbie Cornish.

Comment by Lyria – March 9, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mila Kunis!

Comment by Kristen – March 9, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! There aren’t enough “Caucasian” actresses on TV.

Comment by ohrly – March 9, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the casting sheet mentions it, there is a specific reason.

Comment by Tarc – March 9, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting fact that Angelina Jolie also played a title character named “Gia” in one of her earlier films… :)

Comment by Lambsilencer – March 9, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! One of my fave movies. I was thinking the same thing!

Comment by the girl – March 9, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evangeline Lilly…even though she’s in her 30s.

Comment by Matt – March 9, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzy Caplain.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – March 9, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh, I like!

Comment by DL – March 9, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree entirely, perfect fit.

Comment by Niamh – March 11, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know she’s in her thirties, even though I believe she can still play 20, I really really want to see her on television again after her last show got cancelled too soon
    I them to cast . . . Elizabeth Mitchell!

Comment by Patrick – March 9, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elizabeth Mitchell is in her 40s and looks like it. She’s a lovely lady, but she definitely couldn’t pass for 20s. Evan Rachel Wood would be perfect.

Comment by Karen – March 14, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah another super misleading article title, guys. Come on :0

Comment by Danielle H – March 9, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minka Kelly!

Comment by Olive – March 9, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaya Scodelario! Great actress.

Comment by Liam – March 9, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Kaya was great on Skins and has proved that she can play “fierce, ferocious, extremely sexual and dangerous wild-child”.

Comment by Adriana – March 14, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sophia bush?

Comment by oth – March 9, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh Adrianne Palicki? I don’t think so, Michael. Listen, I love any/all actors who participated in FNL, but I think I an scarred for life after seeing that promo shot of her in the Wonder Woman costume. She also seems too old–she looks to be in her mid 30′s (though I have no idea what her actual age is).

I think “mid-twenties” and “Caucasian” are all pointing to signs that this could be Jessica Lange’s 4th child. OR Ryan and Co. are planning to make us THINK that..and throw a twist in a la Violet-actually-died-four-episodes-ago fashion.

Lizzy Caplain is a good actress, but I don’t think overtly “sexy” enough for this role. @OTH I actually think Sophia Bush is agood choice for several reasons: 1. She had a small part in Nip/tuck and Ryan Murphy LOVES using the same actors for different roles 2. She’ll be looking for work as OTH ends and 3. she is a decent actress and attractive.

My only other suggestion? Amber Heard. Dye her hair dark. She is talented, somewhat unknown, and very sexy. I could see Ryan and Co going for her.

Comment by khs – March 9, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I adore Sophia Bush and would LOVE LOVE LOVE for her to be in this amazing show but she’s already starring in a sitcom called Partners next season. If it doesn’t get picked up, I think she’d be amazing in the role though.

Comment by Captain – March 9, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Polley with Jessica Lange would take the show to a new level.

Comment by Craig – March 9, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar!

Comment by Douglas – March 9, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ELIZA DUSHKU!!

Comment by Blake – March 9, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tricia Helfer

Comment by lilly – March 10, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angelina’s right leg will do the job…perfectly!

Comment by New_Line – March 10, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASSIDY FREEMAN!

Comment by Tony – March 10, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yeah i can definitely see sarah polley for that part

Comment by kristacalogero – March 10, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like my general life on most days tbh.

Comment by Sinderella – March 10, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exactly! Adrianne Palicki would be perfect!

Comment by Octavia – March 10, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gina Gershon. She’s the one.

Comment by tempest143 – March 10, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rooney Mara!!

Comment by Agustina – March 10, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaya Scodelario for sure! The role is exactly like Effy from Skins and she did fantastically then, so she’d be perfect!

Comment by Katy – March 10, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not Alice Eve she’s a little past her twenties but could pull it off!

Comment by evan – March 10, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Adrianne Curry would fit this role really well! She is awesome. I think you should check her out . @adriannecurry on twitter . You will be impressed with her skills and her acting ability:) please give her some thought thank you

Comment by Michelle dubois – March 10, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Rachael Wood gets my vote.

Comment by chemosaaby – March 11, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many options so little time….

Adrianne Palicki
    Eliza Dushku
    Lizzy Caplan (but she’s in Masters of Sex now)
    Sophia Bush (if Partners falls through)

Their casting on this show so far has been brilliant, so I trust they’ll find the perfect actress for what they have in mind.

Comment by R – March 11, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Amanda Seyfried would be perfect for the role, she was great in Chloe (even if the movie was less than stellar). I doubt that she would take a television role though when she’s doing pretty well in movies.

Comment by BtG – March 11, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brit Morgan (The Middleman, True Blood). She’s the right age, and she could definitely pass as Jessica Lange’s daughter (if that’s what the part is). She can pull off crazy, sexual, and smart very well.

Comment by Sarah – March 11, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katee Sackhoff!

Comment by April – March 11, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like this idea.

Comment by Saxyroro – March 13, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scout taylor-comtpon should play her…. She is the horror queen you know she would be excellent for the role… Just saying… You need someone newer not someone who u see everyday…

Comment by Kaitlyn – March 11, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Lizzy Caplan from season one of true blood (played Jason stackhouses crazy V addict girlfriend, cloverfield and mean girls would b amazing! She was unbelievable as the crazy hippy chick in True Blood

Comment by Shellabella3000 – March 13, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! That’s exactly the role I thought about too. I love Lizzy Caplan.

Comment by Lyria – March 13, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summer Glau!!

Comment by baz – March 13, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just give it to AnnaLynne McCord …. Murphy and Co likes their usual people

Comment by mhg – March 13, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! Antonia Thomas would be PERFECT for the role. Ryan should watch MISFITS and see how awesome/perfect she is.

Comment by K95 – March 14, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nora Zehetner or Evan Rachel Wood…or if Quinn dies on Glee, Dianna Agron.

Comment by ham – March 14, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Rachel Wood if she would take it and is not working or Chelsea Hobbs(she impressed me in CSY and think she can be scary like that and is off her ABC Family show) They both have the sexy edgy thing going on but still talented beauties and interesting. Lizzy Caplain is not sexy enough.

Comment by Jolene – March 14, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the sophia bush idea also think amber heard (the playboy club, rum diaries) would be interesting or maybe blake lively she can blow people away

Comment by mo – March 15, 2012 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kaya scodelario. perfect for it

Comment by patricia – March 15, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yees! i was just thinking about her. she made skins uk the best series i’ve ever seen. even better than gossip girl, and that is a monumental thing to say..

Comment by mary – March 15, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totallt agree

Comment by ashley – March 15, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alexandra Daddario could be could good for the part. She’s pretty enough and she had the whole big, crazy eyes thing going for her. Plus she is both white and 20…I think

Comment by 2talls – March 27, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post