Survivor: One World: Laugh, Scream, or Vomit?

colton survivorSo few likable players, so many conflicting emotions. That pretty much sums up my feelings on this week’s episode of Survivor: One World, which saw the all-male Manono tribe dominate the women in the immunity challenge, only to hand over their idol and head to tribal council because, um, Colton doesn’t like hanging around poor people?

Honestly, I howled with laughter when the Manono chumps sauntered into Tribal, and Jeff Probst gave one of his classic on-the-spot assessments: “24 seasons, some 400 Tribal Councils — never had a tribe arrive at Tribal Council after winning immunity.”

Things quickly took a turn for the infuriating, though, when Colton was asked to explain why, exactly, he disliked Bill enough to lead the charge to give up his team’s immunity (under the guise that Leif’s disloyalty in revealing Bill’s at-risk status mean he’d be the one getting the boot).

Colton, you see, had a problem with the fact that Bill, the only black player on his team, made his living as a quote-unquote struggling stand-up comic. “Get a real job,” hissed the self-proclaimed country-club gay, adding that even though he went to “a private, all-white school,” he did indeed have African-American people in his life. And who would that be, asked Probst. “My housekeeper,” replied Colton, a revolting/mischievous grin spreading across his face. Combined with his reference last week to Bill being “ghetto trash” and his dismissal of Leif as a “munchkin,” I’m ready to declare Colton the worst person ever to play Survivor, and one of the most deplorable people on TV right now.

That said, Colton’s got an immunity idol, and so everyone on his team voted for Bill. Not even Bill voted for Colton — even after the kid declared class warfare on him. Amazing. And thus I ask: Laugh, scream, vomit, or all of the above? Sound off below!

1. Joe says:

Colton can’t be real, can he? The more Survivor I watch the more I think these people come from central casting with explicit instructions from Production how to act.

The rant he went on last night was bizarre. He can’t win the million. If anything, people will drag him to the finals because they know no one will vote for him. To play that hard & offensive this early in the game is downright bizarre.

I could feel the producers high fiving themselves when the men started deliberating going to tribal. And why didn’t the men trade immunity for the boat or the fishing net? And since when is a team allowed to give up immunity? Aren’t there rules against that sort of thing?

Something stinks. I hate to be the one to cry Producer Manipulation but last night was just puzzling all around.

• Gord says:

I have to agree that “Colton” IS the most obnoxious person/character I have yet seen on Survivor (and thats saying something), but I also wondered if a lot of this drama is contrived/coached/manipulated by the producers.

This is the first episode I have caught this year, and I felt like I was watching a train wreck. As offensive as the “Colton” character is, the rest are not much better.

• David says:

Where as there is no question Survivor looks for drama and tweaks things for good TV, there is NO WAY Colton is “acting”. That is just one truly revolting human being.

Seen some people trying to spin Colton is playing a brilliant game and its just an act to get him to the final tribal council. But considering he is just as vile and revolting in his one on one confessionals with the camera’s, that destroys any shred of believability in that theory. Absolutely nothing to gain. Would actually be brilliant and a fan of someone playing that game – Evil Will from Big Brother.

Casting went dumpster diving for this group of mental midget lemmings. Simply amazing.

• tim says:

Colton is real! Casting finally hit reality gold. As much as i can’t stand him, he makes better television than most of the boring people they’ve been casting.

• Completely agree with Gord, Colton is real. I think it may be producer manipulation in that they intentionally chose someone whom they vetted and found to be a rephrehensible human being. And despite Probst acting surprised at Council, there’s no way he did the math in his head about how many tribal councils there’ve been … he knew before the men walked in what was up.

At least Russell was there to win Survivor, he was a jerk and you loved to hate him, but his only goal was to win the game. Colton is just a nasty little elitist and for someone who thinks he’s so smart, is not playing a smart game. This will, of course, come back to bite him, and the venom of so many viewers who want him gone is going to drive ratings ever higher. I’m amused by all the people who say they’ll never watch again — what did you expect? Survivor is not about nobility or honor (despite what Coach may believe).

• ayla says:

surprizing to me that no one even has said one word about coltons and alicias disgusting conversation about how much fun it would be if christina would jump in the fire. She is as awful as colton, who set off the worst season of survivor ever. And that beatch is still on the show, blabbering how she is now in control of all the idiots that are left. I cannot believe how awful this season has been. Who is gods name picked out these losers. With only one man left, I choose Tarzan to win. The women are shameless and a disgusting example for women all over the planet.
        May alicia and colton be named as the most dispicable people ever to hit the island. Comments by Ayla May 4th 2012

• Joseph says:

Sad to say I know people like Colton , so no shock on my part to see how much attitude he has and how little he thinks of others.
      BUT, we did get a survivor 1st due to Bill just not backing the heck off and not getting out of Coltons face.

If they are redoing the teams next week any time soon then this wasn a massive mistake by Bill how could have kept his mouth shut and waited to see how the rest of the game played out.

The truth is that Colton may have a bad attitude but this showed the audience just how stubborn Bill is and that he was unwilling to employee the most basic strategy to just lay low.

• D says:

I agree with what you are saying about Bill. Poor judgement all around from him in that episode, and I could see a little bit why Colton was annoyed with him. NOT that I am defending Colton in any way!

• Chris says:

I agree, Colton must be an actor. The producers have rigged the show,
      Chris

2. Rose says:

Vomit at Colton. Racist disgusts me.

• TJ says:

Colton is a fake. There is little doubt that he is a plant from the Democratic Party. Just look at how he announced that he is Republican several times, but then he cruelly spews that he doesn’t believe in hand-outs, that he basically hates non-whites, he declares himself to be an elistist white private school snob with an African-American housemaid, he contrived to kick-off the only African-American on his tribe, he proclaims himself above Bill by looking down his nose at what Bill does for a living, he claims to love women while treating them terribly, the list goes on-and-on.

Survivor producers are getting desperate. It is like a leftie vomited out all their wrongheaded feelings about Republicans, and all that vomit stuck on Colton. Colton is a casting choice straight from the DNC.

3. Zach says:

Survivor is starting to become a parody of itself. And this is coming from somebody who owns all the survivor dvd box sets.

4. PutAforkINit says:

One of my favorite shows ever has officially jumped the shark.

As each season has passed, I feel more and more that these are not contestants, but BAD actors. that things are scripted. and that the producers are totally manipulating the action.

shame — I used to love the show — but it all feels so fake to me now. I will see this season to the end, but it’s probably my last season of watching.

5. Brandon says:

Colton is actually a big fan of the show and knows how to play the game – he participates on online survivor games and communities. I’m not condoning him, though, he makes me want to throw myself off buildings. He knows what he’s doing, I just hope somebody gets rid of him soon.

6. Lol says:

There probably is no rule against giving up immunity because….who would be so stupid as to give it up??

7. Remmez says:

There are some of the biggest Dumbasses ever on this season. I truly and deeply just hate all that Colton stands for. Acting like he’s all that. Rich spoiled bored republican with zero intelligence. Sobody should send that clown back to the planet he came from. Planet Tool.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. Such a terrible group of people, some of the dumbest to ever play the game. And Colton absolutely takes the cake. Didn’t think I could be turned off more than I was by The Hantz family players, but Colton did it.

8. Deborah says:

It’s as though Colton shopped for his “Survivor” character at Stereotypes R Us. His behavior–both as Camp Queen and as Biff from Boarding School–is so over-the-top stereotypical that it must have been scripted by some fledgling comedy writer. The scary thing is the fear he strikes in the hearts of his teammates. Yes, he has an immunity idol. So what? Vote him out. Either he’ll play the idol and lose his power, or he’ll sit there like an arrogant diva while he’s blindsided. Either way, they’d be free of him.

• tripoli says:

Exactly. I do not understand why they are letting him run things. He’s not going to be very beneficial in challenges, and he’s just a deplorable human being. Really wish Jay had gone with his gut and not agreed to go to tribal council, but instead tried to stir things up and get the votes to oust Colton. Idiots. Both tribes.

9. JR says:

What’s sad is that Survivor had this season’s highest-rated episode last night and it’ll probably continue to climb because people eat this stuff up. This in turn will just encourage the producers to cast more Colton-like characters in the future.

10. Maggie says:

what surprised me so much about my reaction to Tribal Council last night was that it made me sad more than angry. Sad that Colton seemed to think what he was saying was right. Sad that no one stood up for Bill (who didn’t do anything wrong) & sad that Bill was roasted over the fire by Colton then promptly sent home by guys who have no spines & would rather sent him home than be roasted themselves by the youngest, cockiest, most closeminded & manipulative guy in the tribe.

• Phil says:

Pretty much word for word what I was thinking. Well said.

• Citizen Bitch says:

I agree. It is shocking how the other men are bowing down to Colton. But then the biggest shock to me is just how dumb all of them are. Even the women.

My favourite is Sabrina. She seems to have the best head on her shoulders.

• B says:

I agree with you there…these people are spineless and stupid. Actually the only one on the men’s tribe WITH a spine (Bill) was sent packing, but in his case he was so laid back he thought they were offing Lief and not him. He doesn’t come across as very smart, mind you, but the man stood up for himself and got in the Queen’s face.

As for Sabrina: agreed. I actually like her quite a bit, and she’s the only one with common sense. I instantly liked her from the first episode. My money’s on her.

11. Abigail says:

As a huge Survivor fan since season 2 (I watched season 1 after it aired), I’m actually kind of glad that we have something to talk about again. There have been WAY too many snooze-fest seasons of late. Remember the old days? When people used to get medi-vac’d out? Almost starved to death? Were wet for days on end? Exhausted? Ate rats and dead bats? Those were the Survivor seasons that stuck. These days they’re too comfortable and having to create drama instead of living it. I’m not condoning Colton in any way, shape, or fashion. I am, however, (so far) glad he was cast…at least there’s one guaranteed bit of excitement every episode.

• Mellie says:

^This.

• Rolfe says:

I completely agree with you. Colton is a horrible character, but at least the show is buzz worthy again. It’s been a while since I’ve seen the show get this much buzz based on one cast member. The producers found reality television gold in him. I do not condone a single thing Colton does, but he does make for good tv.

12. jef says:

I never thought Colton would turn out to be this despicable! I guess they allow gays into his country club but probably not blacks or jews. His mere presence is offensive.

13. jm says:

All of you guys are so BIASED, Survivor is still a good show!

14. Simone Santos (@RandomSimone) says:

Never did I imagine I’d see an episode where the winning team gave up immunity to go and vote someone out. Seriously the dumbest fraking move I’ve ever seen.

As far as Colton goes, UGH. His housekeeper? Really? I don’t know how anyone at tribal council kept a straight face. He needs to be lulled into a false sense of security and blindsided so he’s gone and he doesn’t play the idol.

15. Christina says:

That was probably the craziest episode of Survivor ever. Colton’s character is just deplorable. I’m surprised one of the guys hasn’t hit him yet. But what do you expect from a group of doofus’ who voted unanimously voted to go to tribal council.

16. Jason says:

I like how Slezak thinks Probst didn’t know he’d be seeing the guys. HE called it an on-thespot assesment. Probst is a good actor but the producers had to prep him that the boys would be showing up instead of the girls.

The move is so stupid it stinks of producer manipulation. No one is that stupid to give up a three to one advantage right to now make it an even game!!! Although maybe not. because A) Colton is so arrogant. Maybe even psychotically so that he thinks the guys can’t possibly lose to the girls. and B) He wants to join with the girls anyway after the merge so really he he is a mastermind. He’s getting rid of one of the guys and keeping his girls around. He knows he is safe because of the Idol and his alliance and he is going to stab his alliance in the back and side with the girls. The fact that he was able to convince the other guys of it suggests he is a genius of Russellian porportions. That’s right I just coined the term Russelian.

17. Joe says:

I truly hope and pray that Colton experiences so much grief from this that he kills himself. He brings nothing of value to this world.

18. Mary says:

I use the closed captioning, and interestingly on last night’s “previously” at the beginning of the show, “ghetto trash” had been changed to “gutter trash.” And Colton called Leif not just a Munchkin, but also an oompa-loompa, which has a whole bunch of racist and other unpleasant undertones.

• Laney says:

Huh? “Oompa-loompa” has racist overtones? What? Don’t get me wrong, I think Colton’s a waste of oxygen. And I was completely over him the minute he claimed he didn’t believe in people wanting things for free AFTER he’d been begging at the women’s camp. And obviously he’s racist. But I don’t get how there’s racist overtones to Oompa-loompa.

19. m says:

Colton makes me miss wonderful, honest, guileless Ozzy even more now.

20. GS says:

This is what happens when they cast people in bars and at casting calls instead of people who know the show. He is a twit and for a gay person to be do outwardly horrible to other minority groups is laughable. I won’t be won’t be watching anymore. Very unlikeable cast all around. Not wasting my time anymore. Stupid people to be do afraid of him cause of the idol. Obviously didn’t watch or they’d know it’s not that big of a deal. None of them deserve the money.

21. Aaron says:

Colton is unbelievably despicable, and I don’t know why his tribe just follows his orders the way they do. They need to flush his idol and take his power.
    I think Bill, Jay, and Michael should have thought this through more, because the three of them are clearly not in the core Misfit Alliance, and even under the guise of Leif possibly getting the boot, going to Tribal an extra time after winning immunity is so stupid because it just brings them closer to the front of the line to get the boot. Bill clearly thought Leif was going- but why wouldn’t they wait to lose immunity and THEN boot Leif? That would save Bill at least one extra week, as he knows he would then be next on the list. So stupid. There’s not two sides to this- it was just an all-around stupid move.

22. John Grose says:

It was…completely…bizarre. Really, dudes? – John

23. letmetalk says:

I have never seen a bunch of men that act like this.
    How they can let this little pos dictate to them what to think and do
    actually makes me sick to my stomach. I am soooo pulling for the
    women. What a bunch of sissies….

24. letmetalk says:

I have never seen such a bunch of silly men. How they can allow this
    jerk dictate how to do things and play the game….some one should
    hide his panties.
    I am now pulling for the women. At least until these menn grow
    a pair.

25. lemon says:

All I can say is that I hope Bill gets a sitcom or something out of this. He a cute guy, and he could be great on SNL or something like that.

26. lemon says:

That would be ‘HE’S a cute guy.

• D says:

I don’t know if it was the edit or what, but I did not see anything FUNNY from Bill.

• lemon says:

He does sketch comedy…similar to SNL or Mad TV. A lot of it is NSFW, and very funny…especially the Video for ‘ESettle,’ the desperate daters alternative to EHarmony. He has stuff all over You Tube. Will everyone think he’s funny? Probably not, but that’s true of any comic.

27. D says:

I would put Naonka was the worst person to play Survivor. I mean, she was physically fighting someone with ONE LEG over something or other and said she would hide the leg or toss it into the fire or some such thing. Despicable! To top it off she was a teacher!

The physical element of it makes it worse to me that the crap that Colton is spewing. If Colton also beat Bill up, then, yeah, he would be the worst.

28. Lisa says:

Colton is a poster child for the 1%.
    He isn’t a racist he is an elitist.
    A self proclaimed republican who said “nobody should get a hand out”

29. Jules says:

What floored me more than anything was the other members of the men’s team sitting there silently while Colton showed exactly what a piece of crap that he is. Not one of them even looked surprised as he spewed his hate- and yet they voted with him. I am truly disappointed in every one of them.

Every time Colton rolls his eyes and/or opens his mouth I want to slap him- but this week I changed my mind- it’s his parents who need to be punched in the face. They raised that entitled, elitist tool and set him loose on the world.

One last thought- the castaways are no longer on the island, they are back home waiting for the finale. As this goes on and Colton continues to run his mouth disparaging any and every group of people (he has hit African Americans, the Poor and the vertically challenged and those who drive trucks with the rebel flag waving-so far)that is not “like him”, the chance that we will see him in the news after having his rear-end kicked by one of the groups that he is so disgusted by grows exponentially. I will not be surprised, nor will I have sympathy.

30. doug says:

my family have been Survivor fans since the first season. Tonite we agreed not to watch another episode. It doesn’t even matter if Colton is voted off because the other men are equally despicable. Colton is not even one of those villians, like Russell, who you love to hate. He’s just a vile creature, who I, personally, can’t stand to look at or listen to.
    Good job Survivor producers.

31. Scott says:

Does anyone wonder why such a disgusting, reprehensible, republican shows up in an election year? The liberal left runs television and are not beyond anything these days. Just saying……

32. The WB Frog says:

For the first time EVER, I just want this season of Survivor over. How can anyone be so stupid as the men’s tribe? I mean, it only took one to say, “No.”

Colton, if you’re reading this, I want you to know that you are one of the worst human beings I’ve ever seen. Being gay, you should realize that looking down on other people is wrong. I’m sure, being from the South, you’ve experienced these same things. How could you possibly treat another person like you did the other night during tribal council? I hope you realize how terrible you came across and change your life.

33. Joe says:

I think we’d all be remiss if we didn’t mention Tarzan’s passionate decree that racism is over…or at least I think that’s what he was saying…you think that guy eats pot brownies for Breakfast in the real world?
    In fact, that’s the problem with this season. It’s the Real World MTV style. There’s very little strategy going on. It’s all about different personalities getting together and clashing. Really feels like MTV programming at the moment.
    And let’s not turn Bill into a martyr. With all his “chillax” “SoCal broseph” nonsense I would have wanted him out too. The way he stepped up to Colton and wouldn’t let Colton walk away was very disturbing to watch. Granted, Colton is a horrible person, but Bill should not have gotten that agressive with him.
    And one last thing. What Leif did? Yeah, he spilled the beans a little but it’s not like Bill didn’t know he was one of the next 3 to go. The way they crucified poor Leif was a little much. It took about 2 seconds to realize Leif is insecure and he told Bill what he did so Bill would like him more. The whole “betrayal” thing was a bit too Lord of the Flies for me.

34. BLV says:

I wanna know why everyone on the mens team is letting Colton call all of the shots, he does nothing but bitch and sit around. The mens team are a bunch of wimps to let this guy tell them what to do. And does he really have the idol? And if so why would the women just give it to him as he says? Something does not add up here.

• tripoli says:

He does have the idol. The one the women found had a note that instructed them to give it to someone on the men’s team. I assume that when the men find one, they will also have to give it to a member of the other tribe.

35. Wrapsup says:

How can any of the men tribe members justify getting rid of Bill and keeping Colton at Tribal Council 4. Colton ‘s remarks were arrogant, elitist and racist. His remark about having Black people in his life and then admitting it’s a black housekeeper, brings to mind scenes from The Help, or the dark days of slavery when you had the “mammy” come tp the big house to care for the white family. I truly cannot understand how any one on the team would stay silent and allow those remarks to go unanswered,… but wait, the exception was Trozan who totally supported Colton and then threw in “there is a Black president”….. so sprouting racism is ok as long as there is a Black President. As for the other men in the group, I guess you’ll support Colton in silence and promote racism if it gets you closer to the possibility of a million dollars, I guess a million is the price of accepting racism in your life. Will you be able to face your coworkers who are minorities when you come home?????? I’m just asking…… does anyone have the courage to answer???? Survivor One World? More like Survivor one race and one class if we have to live according to Colton…… ummmmm, didn’t someone try that once, let’s not forget that chapter in History!!!!!!

36. Nathan says:

Colton is a complete scumbag, a really sad human being. The thing I find almost as bad is that after his racist outbursts, none of the other tribe members were appalled enough to actually go ahead vote for Colton instead. If I was sitting there and Colton spealed all that out, besides trying to restrain myself from punching him in the face, I would have at least cast my vote against him out of distain. I have lost respect for the entire male tribe. I hope one of the girls wins the million dollars.

37. nodak says:

So, is there anyone out there in TVline land that can’t see the Survivor producers at work in this episode? I can just see them scripting this “immunity exchange” idea.

Producer #1- “What can we do to shake things up this year that hasn’t been done in the past 24 seasons of this show?”
    Producer #2- “Yeah, what’s the stupidest thing that could happen that hasn’t been done before?”
    Producer #1- “Hey, how about a team giving their immunity to the other team so they can get rid of someone?”
    Producer #2-”Great idea, man you’re brilliant.”

I smell manipulation all over this!

38. AArroW says:

colton hAd the screAm that is too funny in that “wAter bASketbAll” chAllenGe .. vote him off for thAt Alone .. not A Survivor , he’S A vulture / ScAvenGer ..

39. Survivor Lover And Wishes To Play says:

Please stop telling me Survivor is fake! I pray every night to be on it someday! I can’t honestly believe it would be fake. If it was, then those players that you’re begging to “wake up and make a game changing move!” would’ve done just that to boost ratings. You have to stop and think, everyone in the world is different. There’s bound to be people in existance like Colton. And as far as scripted, I don’t believe it is. I mean, stop and think of how stupid some players are and compare them to the smarts, the cools, the strongs, the freaks, etc. A lot of what people are saying is that as the show progressed it became more ‘fake’ because ‘the players knew the game to well and it seems to scripted that they would say ‘this or that” Like someone said above, they have watched all, 23 previous seasons and know the game so well they know what to say and do to play how they have always prepared to play. If I played, I’d play like Kim and Russel(Strategic value) and Sabrina(Great speaker and persuader) and Sandra(winning in all her seasons) and players like Rupert(Good socialist around camp. Makes ‘friends’(aka votes, there are no friends in a game like this.). And public seems to enjoy watching them play because of their kindness.) I would include Parvati and Colby(challenge dominators), but I’m not very pysical. I’d never win a challenge unless it was ALL puzzle! I’m great with puzzles and strategies. And this comes from watching the show and knowing what to do and say to the public. You want the perfect combination of players who may not have won but dominated in some area. And believe it or not, the earliest season I’ve ever watched was 20(Heros vs. Villains. GO VILLAINS!). And I love what I’ve seen! I can’t believe it would get better! So for all of you who are saying it’s fake, BACK OFF AND LOOK AT THE FACTS! I’m 13 and I know this show better than half of you at least! Which, I’m a straight A student so visualizing and thinking things like this out is easy. If I can someday play this game,(Like I sooooo want to!) I’d make it to the final 3 and might even win! Especially if I use those qualitites. Take Russel and Kim being able to manipulate everyone. Erase Kim’s heart from the game. Erase Russell’s unsocial game around camp and with people. Take Sandra’s attitude to winning and defending herself without ever hiding behind an immunity idol, but lose the parts where she wants to get rid of people just because they annoy her instead of taking them to the finals where she could easily beat them.(She wanted Russell gone for 39 days, and she better be glad he never left because he would be and was easy to be.) Sabrina is amazing at getting people to do what she wants to do. She’s a great speaker and persuader. And Rupert is great with people. He’s kind to people and determined while still being a favorite to win to the people watching. Of course, Rupert upsets me when he talks about being nice to people so much that I’m sick of it. Villains made it to the finals for a reason! They are not afriad to backstab you to get where they want and are proven to be better at strategies! And if I watch more season,(ordering more from Amazon) I’ll find other players to add to the mix and make my game even better! But if it’s scripted, my dream of playing how I WANT TO PLAY dies!!! SO BACK OFF AND LOOK AT ALL THE PROOF AGAINST IT!!!