Kelly Clarkson, Lionel Richie and Others to Duet With Aspiring Singers in ABC Competition Series

Call it Singing With the Stars.

Recording artists Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Nettles, Lionel Richie and Robin Thicke will serve as mentors as well as singing partners in Duets, a new competition series set to air this summer on ABC.

The twist, because there kinda has to be one: Clarkson, Richie and the other “Superstars” will travel the country to recruit two proteges each. Then, once the competition gets underway, the pros will duet with each of their mentees, live in front of a studio audience.

When all is said and done, after both the four Superstars as well as viewers cast their votes, only one pair will be left standing, with the amatuer crooner claiming a recording contract with Hollywood Records.

Says Clarkson aka your original American Idol (and, like Richie and Thicke, a recent adviser on The Voice), “The simple fact that I get to go out and find two people that I believe in, sing with them every week, and help them accomplish their dream is an amazing thing that I can’t wait to be a part of!”

Watch this preview video for more on the series:

Comments (54)

• You deleted my comment and it’s still not corrected. It’s “When all is said AND done”

Comment by Michelle – March 8, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for the note; it had been corrected immediately but had not yet deployed to our servers.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 8, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • these are same people from the voice! how’d that happen?? was it supposed to be on NBC originally or something?

Comment by noa – March 8, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, doesn’t it seem as if someone at ABC has been especially crafty?

Comment by susela – March 8, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah…I find it really weird that three of the four celebrities are currently mentoring on The Voice.

Comment by Epicurious erin – March 8, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Won’t Kelly just win because she’s probably the most popular of the celebrities?

Comment by Mark – March 8, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. It won’t have anything to do with the talent of the contestant, and everything to do with the popularity of the mentor.

Comment by Dee – March 8, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This can’t make the Idol machine happy with Ms. Clarkson.

Comment by John Berggren – March 8, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kelly clarckson and Jennifer nettles, don’t know who Robert thicke is though but I’ve heard that name

Comment by Juan – March 8, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could be wrong here, but I think he played the dad on GROWING PAINS. Never knew he sang! ;) He has held up well.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 8, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, that is Alan Thicke in Growing Pains. He is sort of in the news again lately because of the Kirk Cameron’s stupid comments about gay marriage. Cameron played his son on that show.

Comment by Marie – March 8, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ah, yes — and now Alan does the voice of Adult Ted on HIMYM. My bad!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 8, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I thought that was Bob Saget. Alan played Robin’s co-star a couple times, right?!

Comment by Steve – March 8, 2012 08:35 AM PDT
          • I think you’re trying to be funny.
            Bob Saget on HIMYM for sure. Alan has guested.
            Robin is Alan’s son.

Comment by John Berggren – March 8, 2012 08:40 AM PDT
          • But… HIMYM’s Robin is played by a girl…. (See, I can do this all day, y’all gotta go along with it though.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 8, 2012 08:42 AM PDT
          • It would be the twist to end all twists if she turned out to be his son… and I’d still be cool with Ted ending up with him.

Comment by John Berggren – March 8, 2012 10:23 AM PDT
      • And you call yourself a TV writer!!!

That was *Alan* Thicke. The Canadian-born actor was also a singer and a “songwriter” … having written several other prime time theme songs, including “The Facts of Life” and “Diff’rent Strokes.”

Robert Thicke is Alan’s father.

Comment by Mark Moss – March 8, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, yeah — it’s called “playing dumb.” Hence the ” ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 8, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As in the words of Charlie Brown, “Don’t you know sarcasm when you hear it?!” Good grief. C’mon people. Catch up. I’m picking up what you’re putting down Matt. :-)

Comment by MissKayle – March 8, 2012 09:00 AM PDT
          • All these comments about Robin from HIMYM, and Alan Thicke.
            Well, let us not forget that Robin’s alter ego, Robin Sparkles, had her second music video “Sand Castles In the Sand” And her father in the video was….
            Alan Thicke.
            There we go.

Comment by Charlotte – March 8, 2012 05:42 PM PDT
      • ROBIN THICKE IS ALAN THICKE’S SON AND BOTH OF THEM CAN SING. RUNS IN THE FAM.

Comment by LISA – March 8, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robin Thicke is a Canadian r&b/pop singer.

Comment by Mark Moss – March 8, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robin Thicke is Alan Thicke’ and Gloria Loring’s son. He is not Canadian. He’s an RnB singer and well known in those circles. He’s married to Paula Patton (last Mission Impossible movie). I think the point of the show is to have a singer that represents different area of music – Kelly, pop, Lionel, Adult Contemp, Robin, RnB. I never heard of the other lady but I assume she represents Country.

Comment by Amilah – March 8, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, half right. Robin is somewhat Canadian as his father Alan was born and raised here in Canada. Robin was born in the States, but he is still part Canadian. He does consider himself to be both Canadian and American. He’s nominated at the Juno’s

Comment by Philip – March 8, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This can only be good for Kelly; she’s pretty much guaranteed to find someone better than Jason Aldean.

Comment by The Confessor – March 8, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. That’s mean. Jason is a good country singer. But it doesn’t hurt that shes the most popular of all those.

Comment by christina – March 8, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suppose I’m a little biased from having heard Jason Aldean sing. :-p

Comment by The Confessor – March 8, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Touche! I’ve only heard him on the radio.

Comment by christina – March 8, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His dad Alan (who also has a voice on him) did Growing Pains.

Comment by The Confessor – March 8, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of reminds of Celebrity Duets…but I still can’t wait to watch this. ;) :D

Comment by Vannesa – March 8, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wrong again; that’s Bob Saget. Alan Thicke has guest-starred multiple times as “himself”, a Canadian star and acquaintance of fellow Canadian Robin.

Comment by The Confessor – March 8, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow KKKelly Clarkson is spreading her white power all over the network singing shows!

Comment by Ron – March 8, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh goodie, just what we needed — ANOTHER singing show.

Comment by christina – March 8, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought EXACTLY!

Comment by kirads09 – March 8, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, this is what everyone needs. . . another singing competition!!

Oh well, the networks may as well try to milk it for all its worth. After all, Americans have had a fascination with singing (competitions dating back to the Minstral days in the early 1800′s, to vaudeville, to shows like Star Search, and to the present.

It is apparantly something in our collective psyche that draws us to singing contests.

Comment by J.Norman – March 8, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought there already was a show called “Duets”. Apparently not.

Comment by MK – March 8, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally fed up with all these singing shows, they should try something original.

Comment by alexjones – March 8, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This means one of several things: Lionel needs a boost to career; or they all need money. Because these show no longer favor the contestants, it’s all about the judges.

Comment by SallyinChicago – March 8, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is the same “stars” going on every music contest, and it is getting boring. Same songs, same themes, same stars.
    Simon Cowell also made a big mistake trying to look for a big name for his ex factor judges and should have learned from last seasons idol and what happened on his own show with Nicole.
    Nicole made a bad move, and it hurt her reputation. Aren’t big stars going to be afraid to speak their minds because it may hurt endorsements and therefore their career?
    Simon can say what he wants, because backlash wont really hurt his bottom line. Mariah Carey? Can she really be honest without it costing her? No.

Comment by Barb – March 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of this, it is different, yes it’s a singing competition but wow to only pick 2 and the mentors will be singing with them? Again I really like the idea and the mentors are some really diverse and awesome current talent. I love all 4 of them to pieces, esp Jennifer and Robin.

Comment by Isabelle – March 8, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just what we needed another karaoke show.

Comment by bob loblaw – March 8, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There already was a show similar to this with acting or other type of celebrities who could also sing. Some well, some not so well. And they did a duet every week with a professional singing star. I thought the name of it was Duets also, but I could be wrong. I remember Lea Thompson, Cheech Marin, one of the Queer Eye guys, Hal Sparks and the guy who played Carlton on Fresh Prince were all contestants. In fact, that guy won because I remember he said if he did win he would do “The Carlton” on the show and he did. They sang with Randy Travis, Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight and many others. This sounds like another version of that show only more Idol-like, which is why I won’t watch. There’s already too much of this crap on tv now as it is.

Comment by Jersey – March 8, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please god someone nuke this country now!

Comment by Nick – March 8, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This might be the only singing show I’ll watch. Sounds like fun!

Comment by Carla – March 8, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any show that has Kelly Clarkson singing live has me interested. I think she’s one of the best live singers out there today. This sounds like a fun summer show, and I hope it does well.

Comment by Kate – March 8, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, WHY!!!!!!
    Another stupid reality tv show….there goes another abc series(comedy or Drama) already in jeopardy or new and trying to gain their places, who will get the axe just to make room for that crap…
    I’m gonna repeat it again…Reality tv kill TV(Drama&comedy) Series… :(

Comment by Jules – March 8, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care that it’s another singing show… I get to see two of my favorite singers sing every week! So excited that Kelly and Jennifer signed on. Those 2 ladies can sing, sing, and *sing.* Love it. So fun. (Although that could explain why Sugarland isn’t touring as much… my friends and I have seen Jenn and Kristian play for the last 4 years. So sad they aren’t coming near us this year!)

Comment by tlc19 – March 8, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @tlc 19
    Well..maybe great for you…but if yr series that yr love is flush because DUET is taking his spot..I’m not so sure y will be happy!!

And again, if every network is putting theirs $$$ on theses…and killing regular tv and don’t care about theirs series who launched their success. Well, they gonna lose many viewers…and I’ll be one of them…

Comment by Jules – March 8, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will definitely NOT be watching. All sorta washed up performers trying to revive their fans base, with the exception of Kelly Clarkson..not sure why she is on this show… Shouldn’t she be on tour somewhere instead of hanging out with has-beens. It did wonders for Paula and Jenny on the Block’s, and Steve’s careers, so maybe it will help Lionel–only I won’t be watching.

Comment by Paramour – March 12, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kelly clarkson you looked really differnt at the superbowl but you stunk a t it even i can sing way better than you because i am a great singer and i am very pretty and cute you looked like hoe

Comment by cupcake – March 18, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get pleasure from, lead to I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Comment by Internet marketing – April 14, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the show is not great because of Karma!

Comment by Kelli – June 2, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this show was written by someone I know and stolen and pitched to the network , but the difference is the judging and the corniness of the show. she had the same host and more each week it would have been a different celebrity with a different duet partner. another Hollywood story on stolen legacy done to the little people and changed for the worst, but she is not giving up

Comment by Kelli – June 2, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just tell me who won. I can do without all of the opinions and sarcasm. I just want to know who won, thank you very much.

Comment by trina – July 19, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post