Kelly Clarkson, Lionel Richie and Others to Duet With Aspiring Singers in ABC Competition Series

Call it Singing With the Stars.

Recording artists Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Nettles, Lionel Richie and Robin Thicke will serve as mentors as well as singing partners in Duets, a new competition series set to air this summer on ABC.

The twist, because there kinda has to be one: Clarkson, Richie and the other “Superstars” will travel the country to recruit two proteges each. Then, once the competition gets underway, the pros will duet with each of their mentees, live in front of a studio audience.

When all is said and done, after both the four Superstars as well as viewers cast their votes, only one pair will be left standing, with the amatuer crooner claiming a recording contract with Hollywood Records.

Says Clarkson aka your original American Idol (and, like Richie and Thicke, a recent adviser on The Voice), “The simple fact that I get to go out and find two people that I believe in, sing with them every week, and help them accomplish their dream is an amazing thing that I can’t wait to be a part of!”

Watch this preview video for more on the series:

1. Michelle says:

You deleted my comment and it’s still not corrected. It’s “When all is said AND done”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you for the note; it had been corrected immediately but had not yet deployed to our servers.

2. noa says:

these are same people from the voice! how’d that happen?? was it supposed to be on NBC originally or something?

3. Yeah…I find it really weird that three of the four celebrities are currently mentoring on The Voice.

4. Mark says:

Won’t Kelly just win because she’s probably the most popular of the celebrities?

• Dee says:

This. It won’t have anything to do with the talent of the contestant, and everything to do with the popularity of the mentor.

5. John Berggren says:

This can’t make the Idol machine happy with Ms. Clarkson.

6. Juan says:

I love Kelly clarckson and Jennifer nettles, don’t know who Robert thicke is though but I’ve heard that name

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I could be wrong here, but I think he played the dad on GROWING PAINS. Never knew he sang! ;) He has held up well.

• Marie says:

Matt, that is Alan Thicke in Growing Pains. He is sort of in the news again lately because of the Kirk Cameron’s stupid comments about gay marriage. Cameron played his son on that show.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ah, yes — and now Alan does the voice of Adult Ted on HIMYM. My bad!

• Steve says:

I thought that was Bob Saget. Alan played Robin’s co-star a couple times, right?!

• John Berggren says:

I think you’re trying to be funny.
            Bob Saget on HIMYM for sure. Alan has guested.
            Robin is Alan’s son.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

But… HIMYM’s Robin is played by a girl…. (See, I can do this all day, y’all gotta go along with it though.)

• John Berggren says:

It would be the twist to end all twists if she turned out to be his son… and I’d still be cool with Ted ending up with him.

• Mark Moss says:

And you call yourself a TV writer!!!

That was *Alan* Thicke. The Canadian-born actor was also a singer and a “songwriter” … having written several other prime time theme songs, including “The Facts of Life” and “Diff’rent Strokes.”

Robert Thicke is Alan’s father.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Um, yeah — it’s called “playing dumb.” Hence the ” ;) “

• MissKayle says:

As in the words of Charlie Brown, “Don’t you know sarcasm when you hear it?!” Good grief. C’mon people. Catch up. I’m picking up what you’re putting down Matt. :-)

• Charlotte says:

All these comments about Robin from HIMYM, and Alan Thicke.
            Well, let us not forget that Robin’s alter ego, Robin Sparkles, had her second music video “Sand Castles In the Sand” And her father in the video was….
            Alan Thicke.
            There we go.

• LISA says:

ROBIN THICKE IS ALAN THICKE’S SON AND BOTH OF THEM CAN SING. RUNS IN THE FAM.

• Mark Moss says:

Robin Thicke is a Canadian r&b/pop singer.

• Amilah says:

Robin Thicke is Alan Thicke’ and Gloria Loring’s son. He is not Canadian. He’s an RnB singer and well known in those circles. He’s married to Paula Patton (last Mission Impossible movie). I think the point of the show is to have a singer that represents different area of music – Kelly, pop, Lionel, Adult Contemp, Robin, RnB. I never heard of the other lady but I assume she represents Country.

• Philip says:

Well, half right. Robin is somewhat Canadian as his father Alan was born and raised here in Canada. Robin was born in the States, but he is still part Canadian. He does consider himself to be both Canadian and American. He’s nominated at the Juno’s

7. This can only be good for Kelly; she’s pretty much guaranteed to find someone better than Jason Aldean.

8. His dad Alan (who also has a voice on him) did Growing Pains.

9. Vannesa says:

Kind of reminds of Celebrity Duets…but I still can’t wait to watch this. ;) :D

10. Wrong again; that’s Bob Saget. Alan Thicke has guest-starred multiple times as “himself”, a Canadian star and acquaintance of fellow Canadian Robin.

11. Ron says:

Wow KKKelly Clarkson is spreading her white power all over the network singing shows!

12. christina says:

Oh goodie, just what we needed — ANOTHER singing show.

13. J.Norman says:

Yep, this is what everyone needs. . . another singing competition!!

Oh well, the networks may as well try to milk it for all its worth. After all, Americans have had a fascination with singing (competitions dating back to the Minstral days in the early 1800’s, to vaudeville, to shows like Star Search, and to the present.

It is apparantly something in our collective psyche that draws us to singing contests.

14. MK says:

I thought there already was a show called “Duets”. Apparently not.

15. alexjones says:

totally fed up with all these singing shows, they should try something original.

• SallyinChicago says:

This means one of several things: Lionel needs a boost to career; or they all need money. Because these show no longer favor the contestants, it’s all about the judges.

16. Barb says:

It is the same “stars” going on every music contest, and it is getting boring. Same songs, same themes, same stars.
    Simon Cowell also made a big mistake trying to look for a big name for his ex factor judges and should have learned from last seasons idol and what happened on his own show with Nicole.
    Nicole made a bad move, and it hurt her reputation. Aren’t big stars going to be afraid to speak their minds because it may hurt endorsements and therefore their career?
    Simon can say what he wants, because backlash wont really hurt his bottom line. Mariah Carey? Can she really be honest without it costing her? No.

17. Isabelle says:

I like the idea of this, it is different, yes it’s a singing competition but wow to only pick 2 and the mentors will be singing with them? Again I really like the idea and the mentors are some really diverse and awesome current talent. I love all 4 of them to pieces, esp Jennifer and Robin.

18. bob loblaw says:

Just what we needed another karaoke show.

19. Jersey says:

There already was a show similar to this with acting or other type of celebrities who could also sing. Some well, some not so well. And they did a duet every week with a professional singing star. I thought the name of it was Duets also, but I could be wrong. I remember Lea Thompson, Cheech Marin, one of the Queer Eye guys, Hal Sparks and the guy who played Carlton on Fresh Prince were all contestants. In fact, that guy won because I remember he said if he did win he would do “The Carlton” on the show and he did. They sang with Randy Travis, Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight and many others. This sounds like another version of that show only more Idol-like, which is why I won’t watch. There’s already too much of this crap on tv now as it is.

20. Nick says:

Please god someone nuke this country now!

21. Carla says:

This might be the only singing show I’ll watch. Sounds like fun!

22. Kate says:

Any show that has Kelly Clarkson singing live has me interested. I think she’s one of the best live singers out there today. This sounds like a fun summer show, and I hope it does well.

23. Jules says:

Seriously, WHY!!!!!!
    Another stupid reality tv show….there goes another abc series(comedy or Drama) already in jeopardy or new and trying to gain their places, who will get the axe just to make room for that crap…
    I’m gonna repeat it again…Reality tv kill TV(Drama&comedy) Series… :(

24. tlc19 says:

I don’t care that it’s another singing show… I get to see two of my favorite singers sing every week! So excited that Kelly and Jennifer signed on. Those 2 ladies can sing, sing, and *sing.* Love it. So fun. (Although that could explain why Sugarland isn’t touring as much… my friends and I have seen Jenn and Kristian play for the last 4 years. So sad they aren’t coming near us this year!)

25. Jules says:

@tlc 19
    Well..maybe great for you…but if yr series that yr love is flush because DUET is taking his spot..I’m not so sure y will be happy!!

And again, if every network is putting theirs $$$ on theses…and killing regular tv and don’t care about theirs series who launched their success. Well, they gonna lose many viewers…and I’ll be one of them…

26. Paramour says:

Will definitely NOT be watching. All sorta washed up performers trying to revive their fans base, with the exception of Kelly Clarkson..not sure why she is on this show… Shouldn’t she be on tour somewhere instead of hanging out with has-beens. It did wonders for Paula and Jenny on the Block’s, and Steve’s careers, so maybe it will help Lionel–only I won’t be watching.

27. cupcake says:

kelly clarkson you looked really differnt at the superbowl but you stunk a t it even i can sing way better than you because i am a great singer and i am very pretty and cute you looked like hoe

28. I get pleasure from, lead to I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

29. Kelli says:

the show is not great because of Karma!

• Kelli says:

this show was written by someone I know and stolen and pitched to the network , but the difference is the judging and the corniness of the show. she had the same host and more each week it would have been a different celebrity with a different duet partner. another Hollywood story on stolen legacy done to the little people and changed for the worst, but she is not giving up

30. trina says:

Just tell me who won. I can do without all of the opinions and sarcasm. I just want to know who won, thank you very much.